Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I would watch some videos?
We might be talking about different machines but I feel like I remember something along the lines of there being like a hundred little rivets with no clean way of removing them and the guy was just peeling away the old keyboard and popping off all the rivet heads, and had to drill and tap new holes for tiny screws because most of the holes in the case were filled up with rivets that hadn't come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think we’re talking about the same machine. It’s basically a mess. Like I said, I’m ok if this ends in failure. If I /really/ want to try again it looks like the actual part I need is the whole top case which isn’t terribly expensive in A/A+ grade on eBay, and I’d have to replace the top case that I’d be hacking rivets off anyway, so not really much to lose at this point.

All good though, still a “fun” experiment :)

If this was a laptop I really needed or cared about I’d probably be a lot more stressed out but, like I said, I forgot I even owned this for the better part of over a year so it’s not really worrying me too much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd say that's a $100 computer.

Maaaaybe. That’s a nearly 15 year old cpu in there and early slow ddr3

I get that they’re cool and for certain workloads they are probably still pretty ok, but $300 for a machine that today is mostly compromises is too much

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

some kinda jackal posted:

If this was a laptop I really needed or cared about I’d probably be a lot more stressed out but, like I said, I forgot I even owned this for the better part of over a year so it’s not really worrying me too much.

If this can be a leisurely project I'd recommend those screw extractor pliers with the really sharp tips, see how well you can twist out the rivets one at a time. Trying to peel off the keyboard seemed ridiculously messy and unpleasant.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did anybody else see those insane sales on Tiger Direct yesterday for iPads, MacBooks, and the Studio Display?

I ordered an iPad Air Gen 5 for $300ish, hoping they actually deliver and don’t cancel it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea. Friends and I put in orders. They had a M2 MacBook Air with 24gb of ram and 256 SSD for 800. Hoping they don't cancel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, is tigerdirect fencing stuff that fell off the truck or what

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought an 10th gen ipad from them for $225 to use as a second monitor for my new work M2 mini. Order is still processing though so I'm not really holding my breath

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there’s like no way most of these (any of them) ship. I saw it yesterday on slickdeals and everyone was saying it’s definitely an error.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Hey yall it’s the big stepper. Got my Magic Keyboard in (typing on it as we speak). Is there any way to make the touch pad so I just have to touch and not click down on it? Much love

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
A quick google solved my issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nom epique posted:

A quick google solved my issue.

God bless

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tiger direct... that's a name i haven't heard in a very long time...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What's the least bad Thunderbolt dock right now? The USB chipsets seem to have gone flaky on my CalDigit TS3 Plus. I have disconnect issues with my USB microphone for my Windows work laptop, and my USB DAC develops a stutter when connected to the TS3 Plus for my 14" MBP.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

What's the least bad Thunderbolt dock right now? The USB chipsets seem to have gone flaky on my CalDigit TS3 Plus. I have disconnect issues with my USB microphone for my Windows work laptop, and my USB DAC develops a stutter when connected to the TS3 Plus for my 14" MBP.

RMA it? TS4? :laugh:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
God the TS4 cost almost as much as a mac mini wtf

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Corb3t posted:

RMA it? TS4? :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up emailing CalDigit to see if they'd do an out-of-warranty repair on this TS3 Plus since it's 2.5 years old, and I'd really prefer to avoid the full cost of a new Thunderbolt dock again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My Tiger direct order was canceled

Oh well. It was like the rush of buying a lottery ticket, but I didn’t spend any money I guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Astro7x posted:

My Tiger direct order was canceled

Oh well. It was like the rush of buying a lottery ticket, but I didn’t spend any money I guess.

Was so tempted by this and almost pulled the trigger. Was wondering how it would shake out, thanks for updating, sorry it seems like a bust :(

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Figured it was a price error.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How the heck do you put the display to sleep on Ventura with a Magic Keyboard?

I am so used to using Ctrl+Shift+Eject, but there is no eject button and the Touch ID button just logs you out

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Astro7x posted:

I am so used to using Ctrl+Shift+Eject, but there is no eject button and the Touch ID button just logs you out

It will fall asleep shortly after logging out op

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Astro7x posted:

Apple will decide

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Not the keyboard but you can use "Hot Corners" under Desktop and Dock settings.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BetterTouchTool has an action for putting the display to sleep. You can make it any hotkey you want.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ah... I guess I should be slightly more patient then!

I'd prefer not to enter my password when turning the display back on, but it's less of a bother with Touch ID.

It's like muscle memory of turning the screen off that way for years being broken.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I'm glad I passed on that 2009 Mac Pro for $300 but here's another local one.....

Late 2015 iMac 27" Retina
3.2ghz i5
32GB upgraded
factory 1TB fusion drive

$150. Seems pretty clean single owner. I might jump on this as an excuse to migrate over from my cluttered late 2013 iMac 27.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The retina screen would be nice and it should be able to run Ventura with dosdudes patcher

I have the non-retina version of that and Ventura runs fantastic on it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think dosdude stopped doing patchers? It's the other patcher now. I'm fine with Monterey until I get an AS Mac.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Open Core Legacy Patcher is the goods.

https://github.com/dortania/Opencore-Legacy-Patcher

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OCLP still not quite baked for Ventura but rock solid for Monterey.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Late 2015 iMac 27" Retina
3.2ghz i5
32GB upgraded
factory 1TB fusion drive

$150. Seems pretty clean single owner. I might jump on this as an excuse to migrate over from my cluttered late 2013 iMac 27.

If only $150 then sure, but I wouldn't trust the spinner part of the Fusion to still hold up..

At least it's a 5K screen for $150..

I'd also huck the miserable 24 GB SSD and spinny drive and just slot in a decent NVMe drive with adapter, as this model has a PCIe 3x4 SSD slot

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

If only $150 then sure, but I wouldn't trust the spinner part of the Fusion to still hold up..

At least it's a 5K screen for $150..

I'd also huck the miserable 24 GB SSD and spinny drive and just slot in a decent NVMe drive with adapter, as this model has a PCIe 3x4 SSD slot

I thought the SSD was 128G on the 1TB fusion?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I think they were still doing 128gb SSD fusion drives back then.

If it’s not fast/large enough, you can always boot form a usb enclosure with an SSD in it and it works surprisingly well. Did that for a long time on my 2013 iMac.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have some biggish NVME SSDs laying around and apple NVME adapter I never got around to using. I'm tempted to open it. How big of a difference will 1TB fusion with a 2015 SSD feel compared to a 1TB modern NVME upgrade tho?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Depends on how full the drive is, really. Even using a USB 3 enclosure with a SATA SSD felt faster to boot and run apps than my nearly full 1 TB Fusion Drive, weirdly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah my 2013 27" with 1TB fusion was getting sluggish when the fusion was almost full. This 2015 retina iMac will have to last me until I get an AS iMac 27" whenever that happens.

Anyway I bought it for $150. Seems like a pretty good deal for a 27" 5K display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I thought the SSD was 128G on the 1TB fusion?

With the Late 2015 they were only giving out 24 GB SSDs for 1 TB Fusions, 128 GB if you got a 2 TB, 256 GB for 3 TB

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

With the Late 2015 they were only giving out 24 GB SSDs for 1 TB Fusions, 128 GB if you got a 2 TB, 256 GB for 3 TB

Gasp you're right its 24G in system profiler under NVME. WTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Gasp you're right its 24G in system profiler under NVME. WTH.

If you get tempted to crack it open and upgrade that, be warned that this is not an easy job and you will absolutely need to buy the right special tools. Consumables too, you have to cut through double sided foam tape to get the display off and get access to everything else, so the tape has to be replaced, and you can't just buy a roll of whatever from Home Depot and expect it to work well (or at all). Consult the ifixit guide for your model year to get an idea of what you're in for and what you'll need to buy. (OWC also has some videos up on youtube which I found helpful when doing this to a 2019.) You can probably get tools and a tape kit for your specific computer on ebay for under $50 total, there are a few sellers there who buy Apple repair parts and tools in bulk and parcel them out in amounts suitable for individual jobs.

Once you actually get the motherboard out, it's pretty easy to snap a NVMe drive into an adapter and install it. It's all the disassembly and reassembly which is difficult.