Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lollontee posted:

i cant recall a single lie ever told by an economist, but that is mostly due to the electroshock treatments and beer

economists can't lie. lying is a human tendency and economists are not human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if you summon an economist using their true name they will be compelled to reveal sublime truths

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“if labor consumers are having a hard time filling positions, they will raise wages to attract applicants”

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
rhis economic truth is burning my eyes, although that might partly be the soap i rubbed into my eyes after accidentally reading a grayzone article again

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, at least right now, the ban on foreclosures ends on the 30th and allowances on forbearance will slowly run out for the rest of the year.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

actionjackson posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/...er-billionaires

there's no way these quoted tuition costs are this close

In 1984 as a resident I paid around $900/semester at UW Madison, adjusted to now that's $4400/year. 2021 tuition is $10,700/year. I borrowed a little for living expenses but you could nearly cover tuition with just a small-town summer job ($4/hr x 40 hrs x 10 weeks).

If you went to the same school in 1970 like a GODDAMNED BOOMER ($500/year then) an adjusted-to-now year was $3400.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mmm fuuuck that dotted line looks so good. I loving Love Number

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Crazy people: Pandemics and dead/retired Boomers make more jobs.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so coinbase is just directly rolled up into gdp calculations right

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wife asks if this is legit

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

news: china's GDP has been skyrocketing
this thread: haha china is gonna gently caress up the US, say goodbye to US hegemony lol

news: the US economy is recovering much faster than anticipated
this thread: loving economists are such craven liars

GDP isn't real.

you're welcome lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Binanciers

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
under what measure is the US economy supposedly getting better? companies are still laying people off and not rehiring people because they've found they can just try to work the remaining people even harder. people still aren't going out as much as they were before despite every desperate attempt to make people think things are normal again and covid is over

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's a basket of bullshit, shipon. Learn to read through the bullshit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They are just projecting the bump from the bottom of the pandemic as if it continue for years to come. We will be reopening from the pandemic forever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
you guys are missing that this could be real, rapid growth and inflation. giving a lot of money directly to people was good, if course it’ll make number go up

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Imagine if in January 2020 you employed 100 people, in March you laid off 80 and in April 2021 you re-hired 20.

By current metrics your company doubled in size during the previous year! Job creation in action!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

you guys are missing that this could be real, rapid growth and inflation. giving a lot of money directly to people was good, if course it’ll make number go up

That graph is in Real GDP terms so ostensibly it should account for inflation provided they're not lying about the inflation percentage which, who knows?

They've also since stopped giving people money.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Both are lying, but china is in a much better position than the US. The economy is actually recovering slower than expected too fyi.

I know this is CSPAM but what are you basing this on?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
a less global economy is worse for China than the US.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a less global economy is worse for China than the US.

If everybody in the world except for the people in China died, they can probably sustain their current levels of comfort, and then spread out?
They make all the poo poo right?

If everybody in the world except for the people in the USA died....huhn....poo poo...would it just be straight to civil war?

Edit: Made this post too fast. The china statements are wrong and are coming from dumb place.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:09 on Jun 6, 2021

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigPaddy posted:

Wife asks if this is legit

Reply with a guillotine .gif

Slow News Day posted:

Their government isn't run by a bunch of mammon-worshiping pedophiles?

OK baizuo has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Jun 6, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

something we’ve never seen before and will never see again, something too good to be true even

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Slow News Day posted:

China has manufacturing and schools still.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If everybody in the world except for the people in China died, they can probably sustain their current levels of comfort, and then spread out?

nah.

they import so much grain. like just assloads of it. recent events have demonstrated they can’t really go without getting it from the us for as long as most people assumed they could.

and this “everybody but x died” thing isn’t a good way to think about it. think about it in terms of the distance goods are competitive in getting smaller.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

The spending helped, and it would have been worse without it but a lot of it is just created a potemkin economy where a lot of real damage did occur but it was just plastered over. Also, the boost you get from re-opening/re-hiring is a one time deal and in reality there are plenty of businesses that will never reopen or businesses that will employ less people than they did before the pandemic.

I would say right now (early June 2021) is a goldilocks zone as federal support is still around while the pandemic is almost over.

As for "number," it depends on which number you are talking about. The Russell 2000 has improved with the return of economic growth while the Nasdaq is still riding on funny money.

------

Anyway, China has high consistent growth because they are going from almost entirely rural country to a fully urbanized one. They do need food imports, but it is also why they have been rapidly building up their navy.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the chinese miracle is definitely buoyed by cheap food from america and brazil , but i’m sure if they had food imports cut off they would sacrifice several percent of gdp to fabricate some hydroponic insanity in a desert somewhere powered by nukes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

the chinese miracle is definitely buoyed by cheap food from america and brazil , but i’m sure if they had food imports cut off they would sacrifice several percent of gdp to fabricate some hydroponic insanity in a desert somewhere powered by nukes

lol no.

they’re going (rather are in the process of ) to take it from Africa.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

nah.

they import so much grain. like just assloads of it. recent events have demonstrated they can’t really go without getting it from the us for as long as most people assumed they could.

and this “everybody but x died” thing isn’t a good way to think about it. think about it in terms of the distance goods are competitive in getting smaller.

Thank you. My post was dumb.

I think those kind of post are bad for most people to make, but for me, it's fine to look like a moron on this account.
Like gently caress me.

I want to know thing, and that internet quote,
"if you want to find the right answer, say something wrong."

Really grain.? I always assumed china just has fields and field of grain. And then had an image of Korean Rice Fields.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Well, China does have the manufacturing base to create all of the infrastructure for a megaproject like that, and they certainly have the political will to do so.

America sure doesn't lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Not quite. The US is still a pretty powerful manufacturing nation.

China is sitting at 2.1 trillion and the US is 2nd place at 1.9 trillion.

If the world were to get pissed enough at China to actually limit (even slightly) Chinese imports the ramifications would be a disaster for them.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol no.

they’re going (rather are in the process of ) to take it from Africa.

i’m thinking more us led economic blockade

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m thinking more us led economic blockade

It is why China is not so secretly building a fleet and building bases/ports from the SCS to the Red Sea. They know it is a vulnerability. It is also why the US is panicking a bit because we may not be able to shut them down.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

America sure doesn't lol

we often build the factories here we export that then manufacture things in other countries. I mean I’ve watched them move in cases on flat racks over the years for just about every industry one can think of.

unless it is like steel making or shipbuilding, just about any factory can be cased up and moved basically anywhere in the world.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

Not quite. The US is still a pretty powerful manufacturing nation.

China is sitting at 2.1 trillion and the US is 2nd place at 1.9 trillion.

If the world were to get pissed enough at China to actually limit (even slightly) Chinese imports the ramifications would be a disaster for them.

Nah, what we make here is the expensive medicines and food. We don't actually make things compared to China.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

If food imports to China were cut off, tens of millions would starve to death within a few short years. It would be a humanitarian disaster of epic proportions.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

It is why China is not so secretly building a fleet and building bases/ports from the SCS to the Red Sea. They know it is a vulnerability. It is also why the US is panicking a bit because we may not be able to shut them down.

we should get closer. that’s the best outcome for both nations. so we will of course not do that.

and the SCS stuff isn’t so much about us as exclusive fishing rights

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

Nah, what we make here is the expensive medicines and food. We don't actually make things compared to China.

Like what kinda things do you think China makes that the the US does not?

bitcoins

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we should get closer. that’s the best outcome for both nations. so we will of course not do that.

and the SCS stuff isn’t so much about us as exclusive fishing rights

Yep. China is the largest producer of fish by far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
those islands are about EEZ lol. they’re loving the Filipinos over.

edit and Indonesia if I remember right?