Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Do you all not also have to swipe to get out? Does a swipe in followed by immediate swipe out actually make the new numbers look good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Do you all not also have to swipe to get out? Does a swipe in followed by immediate swipe out actually make the new numbers look good?

Forced swipe out is basically not allowed in commercial with a few very strict restrictions (for safety reasons) and the standard excuse even when they want you to badge out is that you tailgated somebody/somebody held the door for you.

I've never seen an office where badging out every really worked, even when everyone was actually there and management was trying. Only monitored sally ports seem to work for that.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
At my work they told us our laptops had to be connected to the office network for a certain amount of time for it to count as an in-office day, but everyone quickly figured out that was a lie and that they’re just checking badge swipes.

And it doesn’t matter if you swipe in and immediately swipe out, it seems like all that matters is the swipe in.

Building trust through lying to your employees

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I did actually ask if their report tracking entry times also tracked exit but I don't think anyone knew. Probably the report is entirely manual and not actually linked to anything because the gating system is from 1983 and cannot be connected to a network.

Weirdly we have to badge out of every part of the office. Even the cafeteria doors, though those obviously just get held open most of the time. What this means is that if you tailgate through a door on a floor you don't have access to you can end up getting locked in.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Just started a new job where there's a badge in, no badge out. But one of the parking garages is badged on both sides, so I could use the garage that is "employee only" and lets any car exit.

My whole team is elsewhere, and 95% of my partner teams are also somewhere else. Right now I'm just sitting by a friend whose team I'll probably transfer to when they have an open req.

It's all so stupid. 3 years of remote, I was actually somewhat excited to work with people again... and yet I'm back to working remote in a multi-billion dollar office. They don't even have free snacks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Weirdly we have to badge out of every part of the office. Even the cafeteria doors, though those obviously just get held open most of the time. What this means is that if you tailgate through a door on a floor you don't have access to you can end up getting locked in.

This is exactly the reason it's typically not allowed (in sane jurisdictions) or there has to at least be an exit button next to each door, or all doors must have crash bars. Locking people into a facility is a no-go. Even if the doors are set to unlock on alarm activation.

The only reason facilities with sally ports get away with it is because there is secondary egress (alarmed but unlocked from the inside fire egress doors throughout the facility, no possible way to be locked into any area that does not have access to multiple egress doors) and that whole thing where the sally port is actually monitored and operated by a human.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Where I was last you needed to badge in but that was just for security. They could see if you were in the office (and how long) based on connecting to the wifi. Ultimately nobody really cared though.

My new place seems to care more about attendance, but I gather it’s largely because the executive is local, so just swiping in isn’t really the point, getting face time is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deadite posted:

Nothing wrong with this, management gets its RTO stats and the worker gets to work from home. It’s win win. I say put the complainers on a PIP.

I do the badge swipe and go home thing some days, and other days I just spend all day in the little huddle room that has a one-hour time limit. I know people here don’t like it but they have no idea who I am or who I report to so they can do nothing to stop me. It’s a perk of having my entire team and management in other states.

A sucks and is bad. It's fine to flaunt rules in a harmless way if you are good and perform, but if you are obnoxious and bad at your job it is truly right and just for people to gently caress you up using whatever policies and procedures they can.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I read that as the only people who noticed A wasn’t in the office were A’s coworkers, so if the manager didn’t notice then A is still getting their work done from home and the coworkers are just upset that A isn’t following the rules. It just makes them sound petty.

If A wasn’t working you’d think the manager would notice.

Edit: only with regard to RTO, the report handling stuff and email are obviously bad

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I'm in the "A is the problem" camp. Sounds like a lazy whiner causing problems and on top of that they're breaking rules too. I hope they have some redeeming qualities OP didn't mention but I'd definitely be talking to them about their performance. It could just be they're a bad fit for their current role and their unhappiness is leading to the other issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deadite posted:

I read that as the only people who noticed A wasn’t in the office were A’s coworkers, so if the manager didn’t notice then A is still getting their work done from home and the coworkers are just upset that A isn’t following the rules. It just makes them sound petty.

Edit: only with regard to RTO, the report handling stuff and email are obviously bad

the coworkers are probably upset that A is an rear end in a top hat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Deadite posted:

The direct manager is on the other side of the country(!), and I'm on another continent(!!) so an actual on the ground assessment is borderline impossible unless B or C chip in and I'm pretty sure I know the answers there ("A is fine I think" and "A has a bad attitude").

I don't know how things ended up in this situation but here we are I guess. Isn't matrix management great?

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah I'm in the "A is the problem" camp. Sounds like a lazy whiner causing problems and on top of that they're breaking rules too. I hope they have some redeeming qualities OP didn't mention but I'd definitely be talking to them about their performance. It could just be they're a bad fit for their current role and their unhappiness is leading to the other issues.

There is growing evidence that it's this tbh.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I need to decide how to deal with a really negative interaction I had with a technical writer just now. Honestly she was just really loving rude and it's pissed me off. I guess the important thing is if she's happy to be rude to me she's going to have no problems messing my team around. She is also behind on doing the pretty basic work needed for this important document to get finalised.

Going for an angry run for an hour

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

Forced swipe out is basically not allowed in commercial with a few very strict restrictions (for safety reasons) and the standard excuse even when they want you to badge out is that you tailgated somebody/somebody held the door for you.

I've never seen an office where badging out every really worked, even when everyone was actually there and management was trying. Only monitored sally ports seem to work for that.

Oh yeah that scans. I'm in finance and have never seen a tailgate through the main entrances. Did through the sides but those have all been closed to entries since COVID.

That said they did upgrade to have full gates so maybe they were having that problem?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Deadite posted:

At my work they told us our laptops had to be connected to the office network for a certain amount of time for it to count as an in-office day, but everyone quickly figured out that was a lie and that they’re just checking badge swipes.

And it doesn’t matter if you swipe in and immediately swipe out, it seems like all that matters is the swipe in.

Building trust through lying to your employees

This is such a stupid waste of time to enforce

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Lockback posted:

This is such a stupid waste of time to enforce

Shame we just got a great new thread title.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Re: equity chat last page I know a guy who worked for a start up that was acquired by a major international company. The acquisition made him and (almost) everyone else working there extremely rich.

However, he said there was another guy working for the start up who had elected to receive only cash compensation, didn't trust the equity offer, didn't think he'd be there long or whatever.

Imagine that day, everyone around you just found out they're now worth 10s of millions of dollars, and you are not.

(I'm aware that making millions off your equity is rare and I'm not suggesting anything)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

knox_harrington posted:

I need to decide how to deal with a really negative interaction I had with a technical writer just now. Honestly she was just really loving rude and it's pissed me off. I guess the important thing is if she's happy to be rude to me she's going to have no problems messing my team around. She is also behind on doing the pretty basic work needed for this important document to get finalised.

If this is the first time something like this has happened with this person, I try to give the benefit of the doubt and just let it go. People have bad days, stressors outside the workplace can make people short or rude, or a million other things could be going on. You never know what's going on with them. If it's a consistent issue though, that's a different story.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Do you know their manager/does your manager know their manager? Kicking it up the chain might be best, though there's probably no way to avoid them knowing it was you but a) if they're an rear end in a top hat all the time then others might have raised it so they won't know which of them it was and b) if they're more of an rear end in a top hat back as a result it just makes it worse for them anyway.

Anyway go through your management though in case they go "woah woah woah don't get involved that team are all assholes we don't want to poke the nest". They should have your back though either way.

Unless your management are poo poo in which case :rip:

I just kicked the stuff I posted earlier up the chain and now it's all tied together across three timezones of management so it is not my problem alone now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Awkward Davies posted:

(I'm aware that making millions off your equity is rare and I'm not suggesting anything)

In fact it’s probably the right idea in most cases, especially acquisitions, to pay only a little attention to equity. I don’t mind it as a lottery ticket if the cash comp still pays the mortgage, but it rarely pays off like that. After being at many startups where nothing happened, I joined a company 2 years before the IPO. The private price doubled in that time, then there were rumors of the IPO being 12x my strike price (I would have been a millionaire then). But then it IPO’d at only 2.5x my strike, and by the time the lock-up was up, it was barely worth a bonus check and even briefly sank below the strike price. When I got let go a few months later in layoffs, I cashed them out in order to pay for some new windows in the house. RIP my dream Porsche :(

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I used to work with some folks that worked at Broadjump/Motive back in the early 2000's, and the stories they told me about watching all their equity disappear before they could cash out are imprinted on my brain forever. One of them had a framed check for a penny hanging in his office. On paper at the peak he was going to be worth a fair bit. Never happened. I'm sure the CEO made out like a bandit though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The one and only time I was made an offer by a startup, I outright said "the equity is lottery tickets, I need more salary" and they angrily rescinded the offer and showed me the door.

Jesus Christ how is it possible to generate so much drama between just three people?

This week's is that A doesn't want to do some monthly validation that happens late in the day, this is understandable to an extent (and actually I don't think should be coming to the team at all but that's a different thing), but they've handled it so incredibly badly that they've pissed B off because B has been doing it all. B also filled in the blanks from what A told me which made it fairly clear that A was at best not giving the whole picture, and at worst actively lying about it.

On top of that A sent a very unprofessional email about this to their local manager who sent it to me when we caught up and gave a massive sigh and pretty much said "why can't people just act like adults?".

Now A wants a desk move away from B to sit near C, B and C hate each other so honestly I think the best solution would be to put all three in a room and let them fight it out.

Bonus round: For RTO, A might have been badging in to appear as present and then immediately leaving to such an extreme extent that someone else in another team flagged it.

E: this is like the "you must cross a river and get the wolf, the sheep and the cabbage across but you can only take two at a time" puzzle.

For context, which if any of the three is actually a strong performer?

It sounds like A needs to go, yesterday, and probably one of B or C needs to go as well if they won't play nice. But maybe there's more context I'm missing.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I believe A is able to get 1 on 1s with the CEO was the twist here, iirc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well if that's true then the only correct play for OP is to find a new job as soon as humanly possible.

e: iirc Powerful Two-Hander just started this job, so it's just going to be ~2 years of protecting yourself from A's cocktail of malice and incompetence as best you can before you can safely move on. It's a safe bet that A is the reason why the role of managing this team was available.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 8, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
With equity unless you’re a friend of the founders with a few exceptions at best you might get enough for a nice down payment on a house. I usually wouldn’t put a lot of stock (ha ha!) in that part of the compensation.

Source: startups I have worked for were acquired twice, both times I was an early employee and got a payout about equivalent to my yearly salary (pretax) but this was a long time after.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

B and C are actually both independently very good, they just really, really, do not get along. But they work on different things so it's not actually too hard to deal with from a practical perspective, though still odd. I really want to know the story to all this but I suspect I never will.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well if that's true then the only correct play for OP is to find a new job as soon as humanly possible.

e: iirc Powerful Two-Hander just started this job, so it's just going to be ~2 years of protecting yourself from A's cocktail of malice and incompetence as best you can before you can safely move on. It's a safe bet that A is the reason why the role of managing this team was available.

It's not quite that bad. They're not senior to the others so it's more of a "the team dynamic has gone wrong" coupled with "this person may actually not be doing any work". The management thing is a combination of factors that probably resulted in things getting to where they are today.

Jenkl posted:

I believe A is able to get 1 on 1s with the CEO was the twist here, iirc.

lol god no. I think that was someone else's story about the guy that constantly reported people for minor things and pissing off absolutely everybody wasn't it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh, well, that's a relief. Then yeah you really owe it to the productive members of your team to find out what it's going to take to push A out and begin that process ASAP. It sounds like he'll provide you with all the rope you need to hang him, you just have to document that poo poo. The others shouldn't be having to do that person's job in addition to their own.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Unless your management are poo poo in which case :rip:

Unfortunately I am the management, certainly at a point I'm expected to deal with poo poo myself. But also at a point people listen to what I'm saying* and I don't want to gently caress someone's job up unnecessarily

* sometimes

Also the run worked and I don't really care now

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 8, 2023

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Problem is that "A" has the same name as "A", so we got confused.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My boss is out sick. He was already sick when he flew into HQ for one day to discuss RTO. I hope he got everyone else sick. No i don't think any of them will appreciate the lesson they should learn.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awkward Davies posted:

Re: equity chat last page I know a guy who worked for a start up that was acquired by a major international company. The acquisition made him and (almost) everyone else working there extremely rich.

However, he said there was another guy working for the start up who had elected to receive only cash compensation, didn't trust the equity offer, didn't think he'd be there long or whatever.

Imagine that day, everyone around you just found out they're now worth 10s of millions of dollars, and you are not.

Startup equity is like a work lottery pool. I wouldn’t count on winning but I’ll be damned if I watch my coworkers win without me.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sibling of TB posted:

Problem is that "A" has the same name as "A", so we got confused.

This used to happen all the time at my old job where there were six different people with the same first+last name and the Outlook search didn't give you enough info to know which was the particular one you needed to talk to.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Tnuctip posted:

:words:

How do I ask if they offer equity without sounding like a dumbass? And if they say yes, what question do I ask as a follow up.

The easy phrase is “can you explain your compensation philosophy to me?”

If the company is competent, they’ll tell you the components (salary, bonus, equity) and ideally the distribution between those things.

If they won’t talk about it or they’re very hand wavy despite follow up questions, that’s a red flag IMO.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rufius posted:

The easy phrase is “can you explain your compensation philosophy to me?”

If the answer is not "we pay you on time and in full" I don't want to hear it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

The only facility I know of where you *have* to badge out is our datacenter, so you don't breathe oxygen displacer when a fire breaks out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Volmarias posted:

We’re operating on the assumption that this is already true. But I wanna know if my 500k “comp package” is actually 75k salary, 5k bonus, and 420k equity that is illiquid.

These days I mostly care about salary tho. Everything else tends to be a percentage of salary anyway so maximizing guaranteed income is more useful.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It always fascinates me watching people talk about things like equity and RSUs. My industry doesn't do any of that - we deal in cold hard cash and that's it. Equity is reserved for the (much) higher echelons that get a small rounding error of their portfolio for their comp.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This used to happen all the time at my old job where there were six different people with the same first+last name and the Outlook search didn't give you enough info to know which was the particular one you needed to talk to.

It’s fun to see people get name dropped on emails by order of importance.

I.e, “can you give me and Stuart Wellington a call to discuss some numbers? We have to get a slide deck to Katie P by end of week. Josh is really interested in the project.”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s fun to see people get name dropped on emails by order of importance.

I.e, “can you give me and Stuart Wellington a call to discuss some numbers? We have to get a slide deck to Katie P by end of week. Josh is really interested in the project.”

God, this is true. And then the level above Josh is just the title, not even a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

J&J storytime (and if I wasn't desperate to get out of Indiana at the time, this should've been the reddest flag)...

When I interviewed at J&J, they had me pay for my interview expenses with reimbursement. I paid for the rental car and flights, hotel, etc up front. Then, at the interview, they gave me their reimbursement website to file for getting the money back. That's when it pulled me to the vendor registration page. They wanted me to register as a vendor and get qualified in their procurement system, and then agree to a net-90 repayment policy to get back my money. If I wanted it quicker than 90 days, I would have to agree to a payment reduction for each 30 days quicker that I wanted it (plus it would require approval from like six million people). I contacted the interviewer and asked them if they meant to put me into their procurement system vs a standard interview repayment, and they said that yes, that was [subsidiary's] policy. All interview candidates were reimbursed as suppliers with net-90 terms, per procedure. Also, please provide 7 letters of reference (seriously - seven) and here's the paperwork to sign for your potential background check.

I should have run away screaming.