Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Punctuation question:

In this conversation:

A: Did you follow the instructions?
B: Obviously, I did not.

Do I really need the comma after "obviously"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

Punctuation question:

In this conversation:

A: Did you follow the instructions?
B: Obviously, I did not.

Do I really need the comma after "obviously"?

Did B give an obvious pause in speaking that should be indicated in the text? If yes then yes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Generally you use a comma after an introductory phrase, but if the phrase is short, you don't have to. Kind of like "generally" at the beginning of that sentence; bet it didn't look weird or off at all until I mentioned it, did it? :v:

So no, it's optional.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fishmech posted:

Did B give an obvious pause in speaking that should be indicated in the text? If yes then yes.

The key phrase there being "should be indicated in the text", because if there's no need to indicate it then it's better to avoid using commas to indicate pauses.

If you're writing a narrative and you want to indicate a pause, go for something like "Obviously," he said, "I did not." but if you're just writing an article or essay in the first person then Obviously I did not. is probably better.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How do I determine the right wattage for a light bulb replacement? I'm replacing the incandescent G25 bulbs in my bathroom vanity with LED equivalents but none of the bulbs are marked so I don't know whether to get 40W or 60W equivalent ones

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do I determine the right wattage for a light bulb replacement? I'm replacing the incandescent G25 bulbs in my bathroom vanity with LED equivalents but none of the bulbs are marked so I don't know whether to get 40W or 60W equivalent ones

Grab a 40 watt/equivalent bulb you already have, replace one of the lights with it, see if it looks much dimmer than the other lights. If it doesn't, you know they're basically 40s.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fishmech posted:

Grab a 40 watt/equivalent bulb you already have, replace one of the lights with it, see if it looks much dimmer than the other lights. If it doesn't, you know they're basically 40s.

That makes sense. I think everything in my house is 60 though. But I can just buy a pack of each! Thanks!

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Doorknob Slobber posted:

usps only administers pee tests on hire and not random screenings right?

I don't think they do randoms but they do after incidents. So you could be safe from randoms but if you're driving all day and clip someone's fence there's a mandatory test that would get you fired. I just had this conversation within this month with a guy in my building and I believe him, I know he loves weed but is also really excited for this job so I'm guessing he did some good investigating. Did you take the computer memory test yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Expect that from any driving job. I had to do a UA a couple weeks ago when my cargo door scratched a parked car because the door was broken. I don't smoke so it didn't matter, but they get you in quick, like within an hour. Had something similar happen at a previous job as well and had a UA done within a couple hours.

Tbh I know for a fact most people who smoke weed that work driving jobs carry those fake piss packets with them in case something like that happens.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I moved into a new house a month or so ago. I've been under a fair amount of stress over the last month (more than usual, I guess). I am not generally a guy who is prone to vivid dreams or remembering my dreams or nightmares or sleepwalking or anything.

Twice in the last week or two I have woken up in the middle of the night having a dream about something burning, and when I wake up, I smell smoldering in my house. Strong, undeniable smoke or smoldering. I come flying out of bed and I'm sniffing around the house trying to find the fire or at least alert my family to get out with their lives. About 10 or 15 seconds after getting up, I can't smell it anymore. I go back to my bedroom and the smell is gone. The smell never existed in the first place, it was just in my head, even though I could smell it after I woke up (strong and distinctly).

Is there a name for this phenomenon? Also, wtf?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Olfactory dreaming, it's common for some people. I can't remember any time I've smelled something in a dream, at least not particularly strongly enough to wake me up, but it's a thing that happens. Your brain can make you feel anything really, and when you're dreaming those feelings just come from random thoughts and poo poo going on in there rather than the sensory information being fed to your actual sensory organs.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Why now?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Why what? You've probably dreamed smells thousands of times, remembered some when you woke up, and forgotten nearly all the times. Just like any other sort of dream.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Isn't a burning smell one of the symptoms of a stroke?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is with twitter leftist types, especially women shoehorning the word "loving" into literally every sentence they write? This is not a judgment of anyones opinions more just wondering what the deal with the egregious over use of the word "loving" is. There's probably not a good answer to this I know.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 30, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Flipperwaldt posted:

Isn't a burning smell one of the symptoms of a stroke?

Burning toast is the classic stroke symptom, but it has nothing to do with olfactory dreaming. It's hardly surprising that someone under a lot of stress is having distressing dreams, olfactory or otherwise.

veni veni veni posted:

What is with twitter leftist types, especially women shoehorning the word "loving" into literally every sentence they write? This is not a judgment of anyones opinions more just wondering what the deal with the egregious over use of the word "loving" is. There's probably not a good answer to this I know.

Lots of people aren't that good at writing or expression in general, and twitter leftist types tend to operate on a pretty restrictive vocabulary.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a pretty fuckin' fun word to type.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sometimes you're just typing and yofuckingur fingers just kinda slip.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had 2 cigarettes today for the first time in years what do I do to stop from smoking a 3rd and will i get full on nicotine cravings like when I smoked everyday?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

I've had 2 cigarettes today for the first time in years what do I do to stop from smoking a 3rd and will i get full on nicotine cravings like when I smoked everyday?

First step is throw them all in the toilet immediately, otherwise you're gonna smoke another one.

As far as your second question, that depends on you specifically. I've known people who don't get cravings at all and are perfectly able to smoke one or two cigarettes every once in a while and just not smoke any more after that. Good luck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have like 1 cig a year since I quit and I want to puke half way through it each time. Really enjoy that first half though. I feel like having one once in a while actually keeps me away from it.

I totally cheated though with vaping and now I look like an idiot in public so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Turtlicious posted:

Nicotine addiction is really quick but not THAT quick. Throw them shits in the terlet right now and don't drink for a while if that's a "trigger" for you to smoke.

I quit a while ago (6+ months) and the only trigger I have is nice round numbers of "days since quit", like exactly X months since my last smoke etc... I really wish I didn't know the exact day and time but it was the day of another major life event so there's no forgetting it. But I haven't had that feeling in a couple months so I think it gets better. I feel so much better (despite the accompanying weight gain) that nobody could pay me a million dollars to smoke now. I have no idea who Im saying this for lol tldr dont smoke it's not worth it!

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 30, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had 2 more then I threw them out, I think the trigger is work.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Do Steam games 'patch' random 2-200 meg files just to highlight the news that they're in a current humble bundle or whatever?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I started a new job a few months ago which has a 45-minute commute, mostly on public transport but like 15 minutes maybe of walking. I usually take leftovers in for lunch which often includes meat, do I need to worry about using a cooler bag or an icepack or something in summer when it could sometimes be ~30C outside? Or is it a brief enough time away from refrigeration that it should be fine?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Organza Quiz posted:

I started a new job a few months ago which has a 45-minute commute, mostly on public transport but like 15 minutes maybe of walking. I usually take leftovers in for lunch which often includes meat, do I need to worry about using a cooler bag or an icepack or something in summer when it could sometimes be ~30C outside? Or is it a brief enough time away from refrigeration that it should be fine?

It'll probably be fine if you're keeping it in a fridge at work, and aren't directly exposing the side of whatever uninsulated bag I assume you're using to the sun.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 30, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Do Steam games 'patch' random 2-200 meg files just to highlight the news that they're in a current humble bundle or whatever?

What would be the point of that? If you see it downloading an update then you already own it so you're not likely to buy it again. :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

It'll probably be fine if you're keeping it in a fridge at work, and aren't directly exposing the side of whatever uninsulated bag I assume you're using to the sun.

Even if they are not it'll be fine unless it's raw chicken or something.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What would be the point of that? If you see it downloading an update then you already own it so you're not likely to buy it again. :confused:

I dunno, when I see an update downloading a lot of the time there's no patch notes, just a week old pc gamer article or sales bundle etc. Often the update is 0 bytes so I assume they just write over a random text file to keep it in the news

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Best/easiest way to get simple games on a Windows PC.

Setting up games for an elderly relative who is bored of Solitaire. Ideally so I can show then how to download them themselves when I am not around

Win7

spog fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 30, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

I quit smoking cigarettes on New Year's Eve, 1999, and every now and then I get a full-bodied craving for one. It passes within a minute or two but just sometimes - like, I can go a year without having one - I could just loving murder a smoke.

Don't give yourself access to them, would be my advice. It stays with you for a minute or two, but if you have no way of getting them easily, it will pass and you'll think to yourself "what the gently caress was all that about?!?" and go about your day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Don't give yourself access to them, would be my advice. It stays with you for a minute or two, but if you have no way of getting them easily, it will pass and you'll think to yourself "what the gently caress was all that about?!?" and go about your day.
Making it inconvenient for yourself to get them is definitely helpful. Like, when you're at home, always take off your shoes so that putting them back on is an extra thing you'd have to do before you could go out and buy more. If you'd normally drive, try telling yourself you can only have them if you can be bothered walking to the shops.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-nvm-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 30, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there any specific origin for pronouncing "fifty" like "fitty?" Or is it just one of those accent things that kind of just happened?

It just evolved, but it got a lot more common after the rapper 50 Cent got famous and "hilarious" white people started saying "fifty cent, oh you mean fitty?!" :smuggo:

My question, are coffee mugs sort of collectible mementos worldwide or is it mostly just a North America thing?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Where could I buy a Gritty costume, bootleg or otherwise? Or is DIYing it the only option?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobbeldygook posted:

Where could I buy a Gritty costume, bootleg or otherwise? Or is DIYing it the only option?

The cheap costume stores haven't had time to put one out, and the Flyers aren't selling official outfits yet.

As far as how to go for doing it yourself, buy some official flyers outfit gear for really fat dudes and put it over some generic orange monster costume, and buy a lion's mane to drape around the head. Should do you up just fine for an early halloween party.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm moving into a third floor walkup. I should tip furniture delivery guys, right? How much?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Saeku posted:

I'm moving into a third floor walkup. I should tip furniture delivery guys, right? How much?

$20 for each person for big pieces, $10 for something small like a wooden chair or a coffee table. More than $20 if they have to do something weird like winch something in a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

$20 for each person for big pieces, $10 for something small like a wooden chair or a coffee table. More than $20 if they have to do something weird like winch something in a window.

Are you saying $20 per person, per item for each “big” piece? Or $20 total per person regardless of the number of big items?