Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shut up Meg posted:

In case you are thinking of having a late celebration, it's probably not a good idea to have party-poppers or balloons.

Thanks and all, but my heart function is completely normal. The only issue I have is an elevated risk of plaque breaking off and doing it again since it already managed to do that once.

That's actually the risk I have with a virus like this. There's a possibility that any infection my inflame arterial walls and dislodge plaque. Most of my plaque should be stable by now though after being on statins for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"The solution still needs to propagate" is surprisingly effective bullshit for "My coworker hasn't shown me the fix yet"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I had coworkers talk about their WFH adjustment and most of them sound pretty bummed out. I mean, it really sucks to not be able to mingle face to face with anyone, but this has been great for my "never go out" negative attitude :saddowns:

Then again, I have been able to tackle school a bit harder. The weather is slowly getting better and I've been able to disc golf more (although I do miss playing with people, even randos), and I've got a new PC coming that I get to tinker with!

Honestly though, finding disc golf was one of the best things in my life and I think more people just need to find a calling they can really throw themselves at. I had never really had a hobby outside of sitting on my PC every day and playing games or watching dumb poo poo online.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

I think more people just need to find a calling they can really throw themselves at. I had never really had a hobby outside of sitting on my PC every day and playing games or watching dumb poo poo online.

A lot of people's hobbies and activities that filled their entire lives were things that aren't allowed/are cancelled/shut down/etc right now. So while I recognize "just find a hobby" sounds easy on the surface, it can be a lot more difficult than that and this is taking a serious mental toll on a lot of people including yours truly.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

A lot of people's hobbies and activities that filled their entire lives were things that aren't allowed/are cancelled/shut down/etc right now. So while I recognize "just find a hobby" sounds easy on the surface, it can be a lot more difficult than that and this is taking a serious mental toll on a lot of people including yours truly.

I definitely think there's a balance to be had, I had to deal with a breakup and a 300 mile move about a month before it started getting really bad in the US, and for the last couple weeks of me being alone before the move back to family, my life consisted of "go to work, interact on the surface level with my coworkers, go home, drive through fast food, play tarkov, go to bed", and by the end of it I was absolutely losing it. It doesn't help that I'm an introvert that craves human contact (pretty sure i have some as of yet undiagnosed mental condition which doesn't help).

There would be days where from 5:01pm on I didn't physically interact with another human being until I went to bed, and on the rare occasion there were days when I could count the number of words in the afternoon I spoke on less than two hands, and if I removed the words I spoke to my cat from that number, it could very possibly be less than 1 hand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

High five, breakup pal. I went through that at the beginning of March as well as the sudden death of a cat before this virus poo poo exploded. It's been a rough time to say the least.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

High five, breakup pal. I went through that at the beginning of March as well as the sudden death of a cat before this virus poo poo exploded. It's been a rough time to say the least.

I'm just happy the breakup happened before everything went south, otherwise we would either have been living together while the breakup was happened, or we would have been trying our best and failing at keeping it together and ending up breaking up and still being stuck together.

It sucks but given that we probably weren't gonna be able to make it, having her end things prior to virus going (unknowingly) made it at amicable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

I am really hoping that a good thing to come out of all this is that the open office concept is done away with.

FTFY

Matt Zerella posted:

Death to commutes.

This too, I'll do all my moving in VR from now on.

I've got FedEx driving to my house to pick up all the overnight laptops that I mail to employees so I don't have to step out for anything now.

edit: Also the CFO keeps coming into the office and made up some bullshit about how how he had to use his physical Zoom Room because his secretary couldn't reschedule the meetings to not require the room. I asked the secretary and she's like "no, none of that is true, he just hates his family"

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 15, 2020

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

bull3964 posted:

It's been:

35 days since I've set foot in a store
26 days since I've had an in person conversation with anyone
17 days since I've driven

Yesterday you'd forgiven me
But it'll still be two days till I say I'm sorry

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yesterday you'd forgiven me
But it'll still be two days till I say I'm sorry

Amazing thread

https://twitter.com/daniAWESOME/status/1240713705517539332

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My biggest problem right now is getting motivated to do literally loving anything. That's been the case for a while now but the whole "the world is ending now" isn't helping.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

My biggest problem right now is getting motivated to do literally loving anything. That's been the case for a while now but the whole "the world is ending now" isn't helping.

Very much this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:emptyquote:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been working my rear end off at work doing a bunch of projects I haven't had a chance to do for a long time, and management thinks sun shines out of my rear end.

Evenings suck though :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

klosterdev posted:

"The solution still needs to propagate" is surprisingly effective bullshit for "My coworker hasn't shown me the fix yet"

Or you could work with the network I have to deal with. AD changes take 15-4320 minutes to propagate. No, really. I've applied GPOs Friday morning, they hadn't taken effect by the time I left, but they were in effect Monday. So 15 minutes to 72 hours, I just like saying the four-digit number.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My biggest problem right now is getting motivated to do literally loving anything.

Same, we had this huge rush of getting every one switched to WFH and all sorts of other crap for the first week of this then, everything settled out and I've been coasting on basically doing support tickets because my motivation to do more than eat, poo poo post, and drink is like zero. Like I know this shits not healthy, but it's really hard not just to say gently caress it why bother.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I like playing board games, happy hours, going to the theater (both movies and plays), attending talks, etc. These are not things that you can just replace. And for the people saying "just walk more..." Like, I don't particularly like just walking around in circles for no reason. I don't own a car, I probably walk ten+ miles most weeks, but that's just going to work and back and getting around to the things I do. I walk a mile and a half most days getting to and from work, to say nothing of the walking I do while there going to meetings and such, and then for further physical activity, I usually go to the gym three days a week. I live in a tiny-rear end apartment because it's located downtown where I can go do things easily, it's not really a great place to be, like, locked inside and not leave. And there's not really room to do anything like Wii Fit or even really to do bodyweight exercises. Like, my life mostly revolves around the poo poo I do when I'm not at home. Definitely anyone who wants to work from home should be able to work from home as much as they want, but it's not really a thing I fine conducive to my life or health. And in my case, the environmental impacts are pretty minimal, since I walk. I also just like the psychological separation that goes along with having a physical space where I work, and a separate physical space where I live; yeah, it'd be great if I could set up a home office, but I share a ~500 square foot apartment with a roommate, so, that's not really an option.

All that being said, I can't complain too much because at least I have a relatively secure job where I can work from home. But I sure as poo poo will be one of the first ones back in the office once it's an option again.

Also this. I had scheduled my first real vacation in, like, three years for last month because I was getting burnt out; it was supposed to be a three-week trip to Japan, and then this whole thing blows up. First-world problems and all, but I could really use a break that wasn't just "be at home but not with the work computer on."

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I hear you: my holiday plans kept getting pushed back for various reasons and I was looking forward to a break to mentally detox for a couple of weeks and that's gone out the window.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

AD changes take 15-4320 minutes to propagate.

Unless that's a feature for built-in staged rollout, I'd be a lot more concerned about the time to undo a boneheaded decision

And the incentive to make major changes on a Friday afternoon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, no one is saying you should be happy about having to stay at home and miss out on activities.

The thing is, your ability to get out of the house on a regular basis in the next 18 months hinges on being able to

a) contain
b) treat

then, maybe, hopefully we can get to

c) eradicate with herd immunity (either though long time frame natural infection and recovery or through vaccine.)

The problem is, "c" is not a given. SARS-COV-2 has 3 close relatives. One of them is SARS-COV-1 which we know produces long term immunity. The other two in the close family are the viruses that make up over half of the "common cold" infections. These do not develop long term immunity which is why they recirculate every year.

It's likely that SARS-COV-2 follows in SARS-COV-1 and produces long term immunity, but we have no hard data on that yet and won't for awhile. We also have never before produced a coronavirus vaccine. So, immunity is not something we can take for granted in the medium to long term.

So, that means we have to focus on "a" and "b". If we get exceedingly good at "b" we don't have to be as strict with "a". But the timeline for "b" is still measured in months and quarters at minimum for treatment trials. So, in the meantime, we need to concentrate on "a."

That, primarily, is why the idea of getting people back into the office in anything less than the "c" timeline is counterproductive if you want to start getting back to normalcy outside of work. After we get the infection rate down with social distancing and we are able to identify who is currently infected and quarantine, then we need to do contact tracing and quarantine if someone does become infected.

When you go into the office, think of how many people you are within 6 feet of during the course of the day and how many people are using the same surfaces you may have touched. Now consider you get infected. Think of the impact of that from a contact tracing perspective.

Contrast that with not going into the office and instead just having a drink at a friend's place or having dinner at a restaurant that's practicing distancing in their seating. The impact of you getting infected is greatly lessened and they have a much better chance of contacting everyone that may have been exposed and stopping another flare up in infections so they don't have to re-institute a stay at home order which shuts everything down.

Because, unfortunately, that's where we are. Reset to 4 months ago is years away (if ever.) Amusement parks, concerts, and sporting events with in person crowds are likely not coming back until fall at the earliest and more likely not until sometime next year. Smaller social gatherings and things like restaurants and bars may be possible if certain standards are maintained. If we want to start easing strict stay at home orders, we still need to minimize contact whenever it is not absolutely necessary. If you are performing your job just fine now at home, then it's better than you don't go back into the office and it may, actually, be a factor in letting us get along with the rest of our lives in some fashion.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Have you tried cocaine? I've been really productive. Luckily drug dealers are essential business

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

Have you tried cocaine? I've been really productive. Luckily drug dealers are essential business

Sounds like you've found your next job too!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Sounds like you've found your next job too!

Strip clubs are closed. I have no market.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been working my rear end off at work doing a bunch of projects I haven't had a chance to do for a long time, and management thinks sun shines out of my rear end.

Evenings suck though :smith:

Are you me? :justpost:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm playing the poo poo out of so many video games that have been in my backlog.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK if you guys can answer this question but whats your favorite call/voip/managing software? (genesys style contact center software) What's the cheapest? (lets assume <30 people)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't really have a problem with staying at home per se, but it really exposes how lovely my neighbours are. And I was looking for a new place before the pandemic hit and that's on hold right now.

I'm definitely missing a lot of the communication around the institute. It's very hard to get a feel for how things are going now because I only hear about it if it hits the ticket system. I don't even know what communication channels others are using.

Also, the worst for me is how much this has hosed up my daily schedule. I've been trying hard to get exercise and at least some sunlight, but it's hard to find motivation. I rely on my daily schedule to manage depression, so I just catch22-ed myself into a major depressive episode. :smith:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Chatroulette

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any alternatives to Filedrop that support Mac to Windows file transmission?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

klosterdev posted:

Chatroulette

This is a trap, a dick trap.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FYI BlueJeans is going to be bought by Verizon, i would start looking for alternatives if I were in your shoes.....

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-business-enters-agreement-acquire-bluejeans

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SlowBloke posted:

FYI BlueJeans is going to be bought by Verizon, i would start looking for alternatives if I were in your shoes.....

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-business-enters-agreement-acquire-bluejeans

What do you mean "start"?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Matt Zerella posted:

What do you mean "start"?

Relying on a service being under the umbrella of Verizon is not a wise strategy....

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the implication is you shouldn't have been using bluejeans in the first place

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Relying on a service being under the umbrella of Verizon is not a wise strategy....

FTFY :colbert:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlowBloke posted:

Last time I used bluejeans was in 2016. I wasn't impressed at all.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BlueJeans has been great for my university for years and their customer support has been one of the best I've ever experienced with a vendor. I really hope Verizon does not gently caress that up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Verizon had to shut their :yaycloud: down for two days to update it, of course they are going to gently caress it up

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

BlueJeans has been great for my university for years and their customer support has been one of the best I've ever experienced with a vendor. I really hope Verizon does not gently caress that up.

Have you, uh, dealt with Verizon?

I mean, they're not AT&T, true, but still.

Time to :uhaul:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

Verizon practices holding immigrants hostage with visa's in mass and will not hesitate to lay off all of that good customer support you talk about to same the smallest amount of money.