Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007

Ericadia posted:

Looking around, I already found 5 musician groups for my city, good tip!

I have considered this, since I do enjoy writing music. This was actually a point of tension in my last band, I preferred to write out an entire song myself, because I had a vision of what I wanted the song to be, and they wanted to write songs collaboratively. I stopped writing songs for that band because they'd just needlessly change parts of my song just so they could say they contributed something. I'm okay with change for improvement, but change for the sake of change? No way.

The only problem I see with starting my own band is I don't think I have enough personal friends to be able to draw a real crowd, you know? My old singer was little miss popular and the majority of our regular crowd were her friends.

:lol: My old singer fits at least two of those.

My other thought was preparing some solo performance pieces and hitting up an open mic night, show off my skills etc. Because, now that I think about it, I've never seen a bassist perform at an open mic, usually just singer-songwriters (ugh) and guitar shredders. Maybe some Rush or something.

Here's a local bass player doing a solo bass thing at an open mic night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_P_o6trAdI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

If the problem is you do not want to play to three people and the sound guy, gently caress you and crawl out of your rear end. Play your loving heart out to those dudes, jump off stage have a beer and hang out because they will be real with you and crowd size (or lack there of) means poo poo its about music. People will come eventually if you make good music anyway.
don't forget the bartenders :v:

quote:

If I have not sounded like an rear end in a top hat yet, this is probably where I am going to. After about a week, take a good long hard look at that whole band situation and really ask yourself if it was you or the other dudes who were assholes. Like just what you posted seems like they had a dynamic going (everyone works on a song) and you were changing it. It could turn out you were an rear end in a top hat, or they were, or possibly everyone involved because no one understands each other completely or whatever. Its useful because there are times where I hosed poo poo up because your in the moment and making music can be a very personal thing so your judgement is clouded and so you have an idea of what to avoid next time. For example: I hate playing other people's music and I will not learn my parts if I am made to do so. So I avoid bands that do covers or joining bands where I am literally just treated as a replacement for the last dude where the want me to play the exact same thing.

No you are correct, I was being unreasonable expecting them to just go along with stuff I had written, stroke my ego etc. And I did collaborate on all of the other songs. We started as a cover band but started doing originals after I brought one of my songs to practice one day.

For the record, the argument that led to my quitting the band was over a song we wrote collaboratively. We got all the instrumentals sorted out, and my singer took the reigns and wrote the lyrics all by herself (the first time she'd done this). The lyrics she came up with was just a big "gently caress you" to another musician that we all know, like she literally wrote this entire song out of spite for this one guy. This pissed me off because this guy supported us, came to every single one of our shows and brought friends with him. I mean, the guy was a bit arrogant, but he was a friend, and it felt extremely petty to me. Which is what I told her :v: and then she started laying in to me. Real personal poo poo that cuts to the core. I don't think I deserved any of it.

This was just the little push I needed to say enough was enough. The whole band situation had been toxic for a few months leading up to this.

But in lighter news, an acquaintance of mine invited me to come and jam with his new band, so we'll see how that goes. And my old drummer from another band started messaging me on Facebook last night, maybe I'll float the idea of starting something with him, because I really enjoyed playing with him way back in the day :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

But was it a good song?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

baka kaba posted:

But was it a good song?

The bass line was great :smuggo: no but really, it was a decent song, lovely lyrics aside

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well I meant the lyrics really! Did she lay down some incredible evocative poetry that made the circumstances all the more bitter? Did you have to choose between principled loyalty and the best song the world will ever hear?

Or was it "yo, bro, just so you know, you come to our show but now you gotta go" (nobody steal that, by the way)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

baka kaba posted:

Well I meant the lyrics really! Did she lay down some incredible evocative poetry that made the circumstances all the more bitter? Did you have to choose between principled loyalty and the best song the world will ever hear?

Or was it "yo, bro, just so you know, you come to our show but now you gotta go" (nobody steal that, by the way)

:lol: that's awesome. A sample from the chorus: "So where are you now? Are you still stuck in some town? Huh where are you now? I'm sitting here with my crown" makes u think

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Ampchat! It's time to get away from my Frankenrig and get something a little better.

Right now I'm using a Fender Bassman 150 head that I pulled out of a combo with a hosed speaker, and a Behringer Ultrabass BA115 (BALLS indeed, Behringer). I'm actually not sure if the cab is poo poo or it's just the head. My budget is around $1000 AUD and I'll probably be buying from http://www.basscentre.com.au/ unless any Aussies know a better store. I'm open to just replacing the head, saving/spending a bit more for both or even a combo.

I only really jam with mates, practice at home and maybe the occasional small bar gig, so I don't need the biggest and best, I just want to spend my money wisely.

I may have a used Little Mark 800 lined up which is ridiculous overkill, but it's like half the price of a new one ($700 vs $1300-1500 AUD) so it'd be a killer deal if I get it.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Digital Jesus posted:

I may have a used Little Mark 800 lined up which is ridiculous overkill, but it's like half the price of a new one ($700 vs $1300-1500 AUD) so it'd be a killer deal if I get it.

I've heard one of these in person and its a drat fine choice. It was paired with two 1x10" (or maybe 1x8" , can't remember exactly) cabs and it sounded just great all around, thumped my heart through my chest etc etc

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that'll be the ideal situation, and I'll just run it with the Behringer until I scrape some more coin and get a decent cabinet (thinking maybe a nice 2x10 and a second one later if needed/wanted).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ericadia posted:

:lol: that's awesome. A sample from the chorus: "So where are you now? Are you still stuck in some town? Huh where are you now? I'm sitting here with my crown" makes u think

Looks like the crown weighs heavy on those who speak THE TRUTH

Band drama is the worst, but at least sometimes it makes for some good material and stories. Condolences!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ericadia posted:

Y'all just dont get it. It's real deep.

I hope its not a metaphorical crown, I hope she actually wears one on stage.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It sounds pretty likely at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So having just found this thread, I saw someone complaining a few pages [spoilers]months[/spoilers] back about a Rondo violin bass. Does anyone know if the Douglas violin basses are just particularly crappy, or would the same problems exist with any bass like that?

Because they have a fretless and I kind of want it, but if they're poo poo quality I'm not interested. I like all my other Rondo stuff so far but that gave me pause.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I'm that guy. Both me and a friend of mine bought the exact same bass from Rondo ( http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebblk.html ) and we were both really unimpressed. I have no other experience with any Rondo guitars or basses, so I can't analyze them comparatively. Looks very pretty in the corner of my room, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I bought an 8 string from Rondo and really didn't care for it at all. It had a cracked and "repaired" part near the end of the fretboard but even without that I wouldn't have kept it. There's nothing overly wrong with the company but I would always go for something different unless the price point/instrument needs matched up perfectly.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Let's say the USA made Fender P-Bass is the default electric bass guitar, would the 'default' violin body style bass be the Hofner still?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I don't understand.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What bass do people buy if they know nothing about basses and want to sound like Paul McCartney? Hofners, or something else?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah pretty much. But Hofners can feed back pretty badly and get pretty boomy and muddy due to it's body characteristics. McCartney also recorded plenty on a Ric and on Fender basses. Flat wounds and a pick will get you closer than any particular instrument will.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Macavity posted:

I'm that guy. Both me and a friend of mine bought the exact same bass from Rondo ( http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebblk.html ) and we were both really unimpressed. I have no other experience with any Rondo guitars or basses, so I can't analyze them comparatively. Looks very pretty in the corner of my room, though.

Any idea how they stand up to a Hofner? From the discussion after you brought it up seemed hard to tell whether Rondo makes a bad v-bass or if v-basses just have some problems. It'll be my fourth bass, so if it's just that the Hofner style bass is weird but Rondo's are decent, I'm 100% OK with that.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I can't speak for the other Rondo brands, but SX makes bad basses. Do Not Buy An SX Bass.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Juaguocio posted:

I can't speak for the other Rondo brands, but SX makes bad basses. Do Not Buy An SX Bass.

The rest of the Rondo brands are decent-to-good (Douglas is who I'm thinking of here)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Juaguocio posted:

Holy poo poo this. A guitar buddy suddenly joined a band as a bassist and he got an SX. What a turd.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Juaguocio posted:

I have an SX Ursa Pro and love it, so now I'm even more confused. :shobon:

Maybe I'll just go with something else.

Edit: Also I heard Douglas sucks too but I have a Douglas baritone scale guitar and it's also pretty awesome. If I hate it, they have a good return policy. We'll see.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

I have an SX Ursa Pro and love it, so now I'm even more confused. :shobon:

Maybe I'll just go with something else.

Edit: Also I heard Douglas sucks too but I have a Douglas baritone scale guitar and it's also pretty awesome. If I hate it, they have a good return policy. We'll see.

I've heard both ways. I wouldn't expect MIM Fender quality out of them but I hear people saying they're a good upgrade platform. I had a pretty slick SX Strat I gave to my sister after my parents gifted me a Fender last year, i liked it well enough.

I kind of want to grab a P or J knockoff from them to tool around with. Probably a Jazz, since I have a p-pickup equipped flying V coming to me shortly.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
SX is a great way to spend a very small amount of money to get a potentially OK-to-good sounding bass if you put some more upgrades into it. It can be very hit-or-miss though, so YMMV.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I think you'd be better off with a Squier if you want to go that route. No replacement parts can fix cheap wood and shoddy construction. The neck pocket on my 5 string SX Jazz is so badly shaped that the neck doesn't sit flat or straight, and the body wood is the least resonant I've ever heard on a musical instrument.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well specifically I'm debating the merits of this SX bass. Already have this one and like it a lot, and I think 170 isn't a bad price for something that looks fun to play with and is different from anything I already own. (My other fretless is an Ashbory.)

Not sure if I have any other reasonable options for a violin bass that won't kill my paycheck.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 14, 2014

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Somebody didn't check eBay prices before putting this on craigslist:

I've been keeping my eye for one of these for a few years, and was getting close to picking up the guitar Full Drive version and modding it to bass specs, but this showed up last night. I've only got to play with it for a bit, and practice has been cancelled tonight so I won't know for sure, but I may like this a little more than my Darkglass Microtubes B3K. The Mosfet/Standard switch will need to be replaced though, I'm not sure which mode it is in right now.

On a side note, the Talkbass redesign is awful.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

DrChu posted:

Wow, that's...different. I feel like I'm perusing Kijiji or eBay.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

DrChu posted:

Somebody didn't check eBay prices before putting this on craigslist:

I've been keeping my eye for one of these for a few years, and was getting close to picking up the guitar Full Drive version and modding it to bass specs, but this showed up last night. I've only got to play with it for a bit, and practice has been cancelled tonight so I won't know for sure, but I may like this a little more than my Darkglass Microtubes B3K. The Mosfet/Standard switch will need to be replaced though, I'm not sure which mode it is in right now.

Bass-Drive aside, have you been happy with your B3K? I'm pretty impressed with what I've heard out of all the Darkglass stuff.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DrChu posted:

JESUS CHRIST.

Edit: It's just facebook for bass dads now.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 17, 2014

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Digital Jesus posted:

Bass-Drive aside, have you been happy with your B3K? I'm pretty impressed with what I've heard out of all the Darkglass stuff.

Its very good, especially if you want a cutting overdrive tone. I almost always have the Attack setting on boost, blend is probably at 80%+, and Grunt is either on Fat or Raw (who would want to use the Thin setting?). There are some sounds it won't do (warm fuzzy stuff), but I've got different pedals for that.

I'm sure my enthusiasm for the Bass-Drive will wear off some, right now its at a "I scored a 'rare' pedal for cheap" peak.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Nice, sounds quite good. I ended up ordering a Duality instead as fuzz is the sound I want, but it's good to know the B3K is good too.

Noise Machine posted:

JESUS CHRIST.

+1 Like!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I recently got talked into buying a bass by some musician friends, and it finally came in today. I don't have a bass amp, however, and won't be getting one for a month or two since I just found out my early retirement from the Air Force got approved, and I'm leaving Japan in 3 weeks. Is practicing solely unplugged/through Rocksmith for the meantime going to seriously hamper my progress? I guess I'm worried about picking up bad habits early on.

I ended up getting a Schecter Stiletto on sale, since it looks great (to me) and I really like Schecter. So far I like how it sounds, and it is my first experience with active pickups.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Rocksmith has a pretty robust amp/pedal/cab modeling system. It's much better than playing without an amp at all. Just go into the tone designer to mess with it.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Noise Machine posted:

JESUS CHRIST.

Check out the pedalboard thread.

(not my board)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Actuary X posted:

Check out the pedalboard thread.

(not my board)

You have been awarded a trophy: Will Never Use These In A Band!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DrChu posted:

Talkbass ... is awful.
Fixed to match my experiences. I've gotten a couple good deals in their classifieds a couple times but my post count there is zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Devorum posted:

Is practicing solely unplugged/through Rocksmith for the meantime going to seriously hamper my progress? I guess I'm worried about picking up bad habits early on.

I've seen a few guys start on bass with Rocksmith and develop some bad habit with their right hands. No follow through, just anemic little staccato notes for everything (that'll register in the game just fine). If you're practicing unplugged and working to get some sound out of it you're probably going to counteract this.