Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Maybe something from Spiderweb Software. They made a bunch of games like that.

Nah, none of their games are what I'm thinking of. IIRC it also had a kind of generic-ish fantasy title, along the lines of "Knights of the so-and-so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Screenshots.htm

Knights of the chalice maybe

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm trying to remember a game that was on the Atari st. I only ever played a demo of it. In my memory it was called alien syndrome, but that turns out to be a similar bit different game. It's a top down shooter where you are on a space station, and there are aliens. The vibe was much more 'abandoned space station survival' than like, 'alien blast fest'. I remember that you had a load of different abilities bound to the num pad keys. They were all different and bizarre, one of them tore a hole in the floor a short distance in front of you and killed anything there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, process of elimination says it's probably "Alien Thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka4BvDWHSww

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
No, that's not it, it was a lot more zoomed out than that. I think you could see space around the edges of the ship as well? The alien syndrome thing is probably a red herring, it's just another name I remembered. It's more likely it's called something like 'space station'. I remember it having this really lonely vibe.

Edit: having looked up space station Atari st on Google I feel I should clarify, it's not the Atari st game called space station. drat my memory is annoying at attributing other real names to this game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Space Crusade?
Wreckers?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

!Klams posted:

No, that's not it, it was a lot more zoomed out than that. I think you could see space around the edges of the ship as well? The alien syndrome thing is probably a red herring, it's just another name I remembered. It's more likely it's called something like 'space station'. I remember it having this really lonely vibe.

Edit: having looked up space station Atari st on Google I feel I should clarify, it's not the Atari st game called space station. drat my memory is annoying at attributing other real names to this game.

It's not Aaron is it? I never did get very far in it :(

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh man, so, it's not aaron, but it's really similar. At the bottom left of the screen was a kind of inventory of how many of the numpad abilities you had left, but it wasn't clear what they were just from looking. I remember one as well was it shot in front and I think behind you an explosion in a line that reached the top and bottom (or I guess left and right if you were facing that way) of the screen

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bingo, that was it. Thanks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A couple of rough memories resurfaced again, may not be totally accurate:

An arcade machine, probably 90's, where you sit in the middle of a spherical roll cage. You're piloting either a plane or a space ship in third person and the whole thing moves as you do in the game. The game itself was similar to Afterburner in appearance. Never played it myself, just watched a kid play it once.

A 90's two seated arcade machine where you pilot a helicopter through some canyons and shoot things. The seats were side-to-side and each pilot had a helicopter. I'm pretty sure it was a 3d game but not certain. It felt more like a simulation because the canyons were an absolute bitch to navigate. Besides the flight stick, it also had a yaw pedal that was just a long bar that pivoted in the middle. I only played it twice, because the second time someone accused me of stealing his guys as if the quarters he put in automatically went into a shared pool of lives. The owner wasn't sure that was actually happening but I avoided it after that.

This one's a bit harder to ID I think. A mid to late 90's seated arcade machine where you pilot a space fighter. 3d, first person, bigger than average screen. Definitely in space. I only remember that it used some god awful monitor or projection screen where nobody to your sides could see what you were doing. There was a window above the pilot seat that was tinted and you could sort of make out what they were doing.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Freakazoid_ posted:

An arcade machine, probably 90's, where you sit in the middle of a spherical roll cage. You're piloting either a plane or a space ship in third person and the whole thing moves as you do in the game. The game itself was similar to Afterburner in appearance. Never played it myself, just watched a kid play it once.

GLOC, probably.

quote:

A 90's two seated arcade machine where you pilot a helicopter through some canyons and shoot things. The seats were side-to-side and each pilot had a helicopter. I'm pretty sure it was a 3d game but not certain. It felt more like a simulation because the canyons were an absolute bitch to navigate. Besides the flight stick, it also had a yaw pedal that was just a long bar that pivoted in the middle. I only played it twice, because the second time someone accused me of stealing his guys as if the quarters he put in automatically went into a shared pool of lives. The owner wasn't sure that was actually happening but I avoided it after that.

I think this is Steel Talons.

quote:

This one's a bit harder to ID I think. A mid to late 90's seated arcade machine where you pilot a space fighter. 3d, first person, bigger than average screen. Definitely in space. I only remember that it used some god awful monitor or projection screen where nobody to your sides could see what you were doing. There was a window above the pilot seat that was tinted and you could sort of make out what they were doing.

Starblade?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pinacotheca posted:

GLOC, probably.

Starblade?

G-LOC was the "halfsie" version that would rock left and right, but R-360 was the one that would go all the way around.

I really wish I had a chance to play R-360; G-LOC was fuckin great. :negative:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Freakazoid_ posted:

A couple of rough memories resurfaced again, may not be totally accurate:

It's probably not, but the afterburner game at SEGAworld was actually in a spherical roll cage.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Here's one: Flash adventure game, you play as a ghost, scaring people increases your power which manifests as being able to go to larger areas of the map. Ring any bells?

The Dead Case?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Heatwizard posted:

The Dead Case?

Yes! Thank you, powerful wizard.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pinacotheca posted:

GLOC, probably.

Starblade?

I don't recall the roll cage looking like the GLOC/R360. It was black and more bare-bones than that.

Steel Talons and Starblade were spot on though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This was a PC side scroller with one or two energy bars down at the bottom of the screen, taking the full wish because it was segregated from the play area. I think it was fantasy (swords and poo poo) and I read about it in someone's Electronic Gaming Monthly around 1993.

Anyone got an idea?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hed posted:

This was a PC side scroller with one or two energy bars down at the bottom of the screen, taking the full wish because it was segregated from the play area. I think it was fantasy (swords and poo poo) and I read about it in someone's Electronic Gaming Monthly around 1993.

Anyone got an idea?

It's too vague, but I don't know, one of the Dark Ages games? Gods? Risky Woods? Stormlord?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hed posted:

Anyone got an idea?

Do you know if you could switch between a male and female character on the fly?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

It was a rts game that had some kind of card thing going on for player special abilities. it was for pc in the mid to late 90s, with a unit that was a laser equipt soldier riding a dinosaur. I played it like 20 minutes when i was 14 in a game store and never got the name

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

It was a rts game that had some kind of card thing going on for player special abilities. it was for pc in the mid to late 90s, with a unit that was a laser equipt soldier riding a dinosaur. I played it like 20 minutes when i was 14 in a game store and never got the name

7th Legion?

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Hed posted:

Anyone got an idea?

Hocus Pocus? Going for the 3d Realms-related stuff first. On the Epic Megagames side, is it possibly Xargon Mystery of the Blue Builders?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
PC Adventure game from the early or mid 90's. I only played a demo of it from a PC Magazine, the graphics were vaguely early Sierra-esque and weren't FMV. The game, or at least the part that the demo covered, appeared to be about an amnesiac man who falls into a sewer and can't find his way out. Anybody have any ideas?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat, thanks guys for all the guesses. I don't know if you could switch between characters, I don't remember that. I do remember that the health bar were horizontal across the screen width, no pips though (looked continuous). No isometric view either, it was definitely a side scroller with caves and stuff, I recall the general color scheme looking very blue and white. I have been looking at YouTube lists trying to find out but I don't see anything like it. God, maybe it was CDi or something and not PC :shudder:

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
There was an old hacking game for the PC that had similar basic game mechanics and aesthetics to 868-HACK but with the Uplink-like system of doing missions to earn money and buy hardware/software upgrades. Anyone have an idea?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mick Swagger posted:

There was an old hacking game for the PC that had similar basic game mechanics and aesthetics to 868-HACK but with the Uplink-like system of doing missions to earn money and buy hardware/software upgrades. Anyone have an idea?

Was it the Shadowrun inspired game "Decker"?

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Was it the Shadowrun inspired game "Decker"?

That is precisely the game I was looking for. Thanks

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

That would be the one, thanks!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

My friend is after a game from the late 90s sometime. According to her, the game was 3D, and entailed a sort of 'make your own music video' kind of thing. You'd set music and choose models & camera angles, and the numpad(?)would change their pose mid-song. At the end you could play back the clips you'd made. Beats the poo poo out of me, but maybe one of you guys has heard of it??

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Make My Video?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

directed here from another place

PrinceRandom posted:

other cool games i had but lost/destryoed. some pulpy gorey samurai balders gate game that had some green demon thing in armor on the cover. it had that maw on it's stomach
it was an early to mid 2000's thing and the words in my head are demon thrones or seven samurai or something.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PrinceRandom posted:

directed here from another place

it was an early to mid 2000's thing and the words in my head are demon thrones or seven samurai or something.
Throne of Darkness looks like it may fit the bill.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

Throne of Darkness looks like it may fit the bill.

drat right it is. that was quick Thanks!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dregan posted:

It's not Aaron is it? I never did get very far in it :(

Dude it was even more like Aaron than I thought, the game was actually called Jitterbug.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
I've got two games I'm thinking of. One very specific but possibly gone forever, one extremely vague and I never actually played, just saw sitting on a shelf in a F.Y.E. store sometime in the early/mid 2000's

The specific one was a diving game that was on a couple of terminals in the water sciences section of CoSci in Toledo Ohio(Which is now imagination station apparently) and they didn't have it the last time I was there. It would have been there around the late 90's early 2000's. It was an environmentally centered game where you played some kind of diver, and you were inside a lake or something similar.

It was very likely made on the Build engine, since it had that same duke nukem look and feel, hell you even had a mighty boot styled kick with your flipper to open and interact with things, I remember it being funny since the first thing you had to do was kick open a locker and grab your scuba gear otherwise you'd quickly die underwater. You started in a room that was on some kind of personal ship, and you exit through a dive pool in the bottom, and from there I remember a wrecked ship on the bottom of the lake, and a cabin on the shore. I don't remember if it's exactly this but I think I remember Diving down into the bathtub in the cabin, kicking open the drain, and exploring the pipes until I found some kind of water treatment facility. Here's hoping there's a PC version floating around to grab since it really seemed to evoke a weird sense of exploration with its simplicity.

The second one I have low hopes for, but I'm pretty sure it was an early 2000's partial FMV exploration horror game, the kind of FMV where pictures or stills of real people are transposed on the world for the characters, or something similar. I only picked up the box, but the front cover was some old dilapidated barn, and on the back there were screens of the area around it and some old west town. I want to say the implication was some plot about limited time travel to certain places, and the whole aesthetic was washed out. Tagline was something along "There's something more beyond the barnyard."

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

SevenSocks posted:

The second one I have low hopes for, but I'm pretty sure it was an early 2000's partial FMV exploration horror game, the kind of FMV where pictures or stills of real people are transposed on the world for the characters, or something similar. I only picked up the box, but the front cover was some old dilapidated barn, and on the back there were screens of the area around it and some old west town. I want to say the implication was some plot about limited time travel to certain places, and the whole aesthetic was washed out. Tagline was something along "There's something more beyond the barnyard."

?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I know this isn't a lot to go on, but: I remember seeing something on the forums a while ago about an unreleased rail shooter for DOS, made on some version of the Build engine. It may have been made somewhere in East Asia, but I may just be confusing it with Mars 3D and Legend of the Seven Paladins.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't recall the roll cage looking like the GLOC/R360. It was black and more bare-bones than that.

Steel Talons and Starblade were spot on though.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/galaxyforce/galaxyforce.htm ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbDQnPpc-8

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

I wish, but no. It was more that kind of FMV where it was images of people put over lovely pixelated computer graphics backgrounds of the time. Hell, it's been too long for me to proper remember glancing at a box lazily in a FYE store, but I can't stop remembering it for some reason. Meme virus game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

That's the one!