Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shut your whore mouth. This was my first Mindstorms set and it was awesome. :colbert:

Can't program it and the built in programsets are loving useless except for the light-reactive one.

and it only has one motor output!

Here I am, spending all my combined Christmas and birthday money to buy one sweet-rear end lego set and I get that stupid thing. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Would it be cool if I asked for some advice in this thread for selling a DUPLO set? :shobon: Got a big honkin' pirate ship (unopened) as a gift but need some money more I need it at the moment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sockser posted:

Can't program it and the built in programsets are loving useless except for the light-reactive one.

and it only has one motor output!

Here I am, spending all my combined Christmas and birthday money to buy one sweet-rear end lego set and I get that stupid thing. Ugh.

But you had an R2-D2 rolling and beeping around your house. How is that not every young nerd's dream?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But you had an R2-D2 rolling and beeping around your house. How is that not every young nerd's dream?

Wake me up when they do K-9.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
On vacation in Thailand and stopped by Toy-r-us at a mall. Prices for Legos are twice what they are in the states. We only brought a single present for my 4 year old (space center #3368) and were going to pick up another medium sized set for him, but the markup is insulting.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

size1one posted:

On vacation in Thailand and stopped by Toy-r-us at a mall. Prices for Legos are twice what they are in the states. We only brought a single present for my 4 year old (space center #3368) and were going to pick up another medium sized set for him, but the markup is insulting.
Welcome to the kind of prices we have to deal with in Europe. You yanks get Lego at crazy cheap prices:(

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Getting 2 Lego Heroica sets for Xmas :) Super exited to be getting back into Lego, and to be able to play some (albeit simple) dungeon crawlers with the Mrs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yaaay Bionicle is back! :downs:

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Yaaay Bionicle is back! :downs:

At 50cents/piece, I'd probably wait for it to go on sale.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Fooley posted:

This makes me think of something. What's the oldest set anyone has they never took apart? And I mean built once and left. I've had one of those Technic Pit Droids on my shelf for the longest time. Probably because the rubber bands broke, and I don't have much Technic besides it to use for MOCs.

Mine is the Falling Water set - I don't like to take apart the Architecture sets because they're so pretty :3:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I left the UCS star destroyer together for almost 3 years it only came apart because I moved and I haven't put it back together yet :(. I still have the UCS falcon in the box that hasn't been assembled due to lack of space but once its together I doubt I will take it apart.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
In honor of the new thread title ("LEGO Friends Megathread <3 - No boys allowed!"):

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
OK Goon decision time.
Hypothetical:-

You (i.e. me) has the choice of buying the Pet Shop, Emporium or Fire Station.
Which one do you go for? (i.e. which is best!)

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Jut posted:

OK Goon decision time.

There can be only one answer to this question. Fire Station. Where the hell else are you going to have three of these guys sitting around a table telling each other to eat their Chinese food slower:

(Modify minifig head and hair to taste.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jut posted:

OK Goon decision time.

I'd go Fire Station because I've been a sucker for the City Fire theme forever.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Jut posted:

OK Goon decision time.

If you plan on buying anymore in the future buy the fire brigade, it's been out the longest and is most likely to be discontinued.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sexual Lorax posted:

There can be only one answer to this question. Fire Station. Where the hell else are you going to have three of these guys sitting around a table telling each other to eat their Chinese food slower:

(Modify minifig head and hair to taste.)

I want to buy the Fire Station to do exactly that kind of conversion. :hfive:

EDIT: In other news:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 22, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh poo poo, is that the new wave? I assume you live in Europe. I'm still working on Wave 5, which is fine because I need more Lizardmen. I only have two. :(

Good haul today! No Earth Defense HQs at Toys R Us but I did get a lizardman and three gladiators. Toys R Us didn't have what I wanted but look what I found at Marshalls for 40 bucks. :D

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I just found a thing

199 ROn (approx 50 Euros)

Looks pretty much identical to the real thing...

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
It might be, but I can tell you from experience with Enlighten bricks that the box image is not always representative of what's inside. It's probably pretty similar, but I've seen boxes with a different parts assortment, different colors, different printing, etc. And obviously it's all lower quality.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh poo poo, is that the new wave? I assume you live in Europe. I'm still working on Wave 5, which is fine because I need more Lizardmen. I only have two. :(

Good haul today! No Earth Defense HQs at Toys R Us but I did get a lizardman and three gladiators. Toys R Us didn't have what I wanted but look what I found at Marshalls for 40 bucks. :D

I want that set (and the village) more than I've wanted a lego set ever. It sucks I'm a poor student and I probably (definitely) won't be able to get it at all. :smith:

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I agree, and wish that Lego made more village/not military-based Kingdoms sets. But now that it's apparently going to be replaced by Lord of the Rings, I guess that'll never happen.

shifty
Jan 12, 2004

I dont know what you're talking about

Fooley posted:

This makes me think of something. What's the oldest set anyone has they never took apart? And I mean built once and left. I've had one of those Technic Pit Droids on my shelf for the longest time. Probably because the rubber bands broke, and I don't have much Technic besides it to use for MOCs.
The TIE Fighter from http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7150-1 (I gave the Y-wing to a friend). I built it in 2001, and the only time it wasn't complete was when the sides fell off during a move in 2005. Darth Vader is missing though, he was lost during that move. :(

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I agree, and wish that Lego made more village/not military-based Kingdoms sets. But now that it's apparently going to be replaced by Lord of the Rings, I guess that'll never happen.

I was excited about the Lord of the Rings stuff until I realized this. It's taking over the Knights type stuff in the same way that PotC took over the Pirate sets, right? That sucks... :(

I am going to have to track down the Medieval Market though. And then pick up more baddies. You can't have a massacre with just three soldiers!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was excited about the Lord of the Rings stuff until I realized this. It's taking over the Knights type stuff in the same way that PotC took over the Pirate sets, right? That sucks... :(

I am going to have to track down the Medieval Market though. And then pick up more baddies. You can't have a massacre with just three soldiers!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I absolutely love that you need that set, not for Dr. Platypus' "more village/not military-based Kingdoms sets", but so you can better slaughter innocents. Completely seriously, that's what makes Lego so great. It supports as many different kinds of play as there are players.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Sexual Lorax posted:

Completely seriously, that's what makes Lego so great. It supports as many different kinds of play as there are players.

I only had a brick bucket as a kid, that had about 600 pieces but I could entertain myself forever with it. When I was around 5-6 I would build a house and put one of those really durable inflatable ballons in it and hook it up to the vacume on blow and explode the house. Bricks everywhere, house blown up and me giggling.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I used to make lego grenades, which is basically a box of 1 stud wide bricks filled with tiny chunks, 1x1 plates, minifig hands, whatever tiny pieces you had around, and then you throw it into the kitchen as hard as you can.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Fry's Electronics is selling the Mindstorms 2.0 set for $219.99.

edit:Checked again, it's store pickup only.

Schindler's Fist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 23, 2011

Shroud
May 11, 2009
By the way, the TRU sale does apply to a bunch of the Star Wars sets (at least the web site does). I definitely got 50% off.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shroud posted:

By the way, the TRU sale does apply to a bunch of the Star Wars sets (at least the web site does). I definitely got 50% off.

It didn't at my local store so I guess v:shobon:v

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't know, Bree, Hobbiton, Gondor, Osgiliath, that Rohan capital place... you'll get a good mix of not-military stuff if they do it properly.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

It didn't at my local store so I guess v:shobon:v

I saw it online. Put two items in the cart, and the 50% was automatically discounted (off the least expensive item).

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Stopped in at Legoland this week while poking around Central FL and found a pretty sweet retro astronaut minifig keychain in 'The Big Shop'. Today, I brought the dude with me on a tour of the old launch pads at the Kennedy Space Center. Thought I'd share this picture:

Classic NASA meets classic LEGO. by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

Retro LEGO astronaut hanging out at the launch pad (Launch Complex 5/6) where the first American astronaut (Alan Shepard) launched to space.

As a side note, if you want to go to Legoland, but only care about the gift shop, you can buy a ticket and as long as you're in the park less than an hour they will refund your ticket when you come back out. Gift shop is right at the entrance and they had a few unique items which were not for sale at the Downtown Disney LEGO store.

Kabong fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 23, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trying to score a Hagrid's hut for a friend for Christmas and I waited until the 21st to try to find it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Nada Mucho
Aug 5, 2004
It's so hard to think of something witty yet cool...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I snagged that too at Marshall's and some sexy boots for my wife! I got the last one and not one but TWO dudes asked me about it in line. It's a pretty good buy.

Lots of Prince of Persia stuff left... but I just don't give a drat. Worst movie tie in ever.

But now, I'm left without Hagrid's Hut. I think this one will be a miss for me. It's the only piece of Harry Potter stuff we don't have (this batch at least).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I know it's supposed to be a no-good gunslinger but all I see is

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I've been looking at some of the older starwars sets, just to compare them to the more recent ones.
It seems like they all initially had alternative designs (the A-Wing for example could be turned into a pod racer), which was pretty cool.
I've also noticed that somewhere around 2004 the number of new parts shot through the roof (which is why the newer builds look so much better, and why I'm struggling to sort!).

Did anything special happen to Lego during this time? It seems like they really accelerated the development process.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

^^^^Actually, the opposite happened years ago--they drastically cut down the number of parts they were using. I believe they went from around 15,000 parts (including color variations) to around 7500 when they were trying to become profitable again. They've added new parts here and there over the years, with a lot of them focusing on utility and finish. Also, their builds have become significantly more advanced with greater piece counts the years so the finished sets look much better even if you ignore new pieces.
Compare the Slave 1: 2000, 165 pieces ($20). 2002, 358 pieces ($50). 2006, 537 pieces ($50). 2010, 593 pieces ($80)

I've been going to the Lego store pretty regularly, and getting PAB cups most trips. But, I've been too lazy/haven't had space to unpack them and add them to the collection. When I got around to it, I figured I'd take pictures.

7 PAB cups and 3 brick grab bags. IIRC, they had about a dozen bags at about $9 a bag. From what I understand, grab bags are assembled through damaged sets with opened bags, returned opened sets, and sweepings from the PAB wall and minifig build station. They tend to sell pretty fast when they're put out.

There were a lot of minifig pieces in the bags. I was able to assemble 13 'full' figs, with head, torso, legs, hair/hat, and two accessories. Lego sells three full figs for $9.99. Only got four faces--glasses nerd, cool guy shades, annoyed guy, and two classic faces. No female faces. I remember seeing the lone bike wheel through the window in one of the bags, and I hoped to find the remainder of the bike, but it never surfaced.

As for the rest of the bags, there were 34 more pairs of legs, a lot of dark gray corner bricks, black 2x2 round bricks, white 1x2 clip bricks, and 4x4 plates. Interestingly, there were also 4 of the wheel hubs from the Clone Turbo Tank, four large curved panels, and two dark green hemisphere quarters, among a variety of other parts.

The cups dumped and sorted. A generous handful of white brackets, lots of 4x6 and 4x4 red plates, a full ziploc of 2x2 red and yellow tiles, yellow jumper plates, bar & clip pieces, tiles in a variety of sizes, two white horses, brown windows with pearl gold grilles, 10 technic turntables, some mailboxes and barrels...and a couple dozen more types.
Quite a lot of stuff; more than I figured could fit in those cups.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 23, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phy posted:

I know it's supposed to be a no-good gunslinger but all I see is

Entirely why I got him :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the vampire of Fright Knights minifigs had a red/black cloth cape, right?