Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

ProjektorBoy posted:

Settings > About Phone > Status

Assuming you're on Verizon, dial *228 and option 2 will update this for you.

Cool thanks man. No I'm on virgin mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

uapyro posted:

It's the feature that pops up when you use the volume rockers on the side of the phone to take it to silent or vibrate. I may just try a reset again later to see if that fixes it since the market has gone weird and keeps switching to another account every time I reboot the phone.

Speaking of which, is there any consistency in which ROMs have sound, silence and vibrate on the rocker? Granted, I haven't used so many ROMs, but HTC Sense has a separate step for silent when pressing down on the volume rocker, before hitting vibrate - Cyanogenmod goes right from sound to vibrate. Had to download a widget to turn off sound and vibration. Minor issue, but annoying.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Spug posted:

Speaking of which, is there any consistency in which ROMs have sound, silence and vibrate on the rocker? Granted, I haven't used so many ROMs, but HTC Sense has a separate step for silent when pressing down on the volume rocker, before hitting vibrate - Cyanogenmod goes right from sound to vibrate. Had to download a widget to turn off sound and vibration. Minor issue, but annoying.

CM has a setting to add a "completely silent" option, but it comes AFTER vibrate (Loudest sound-->quietest sound-->vibrate-->completely silent). I think this is how things worked on stock Android until Google forced you to choose between vibrate and silent for the bottom choice—not sure why HTC would have reversed them.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ProjektorBoy posted:

Settings > About Phone > Status

Assuming you're on Verizon, dial *228 and option 2 will update this for you.

Didn't someone in here post that trying *228 with a phone that has a SIM card will gently caress it up?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Goddamn, I think I'm going to try to root my phone today. The last time I tried it screwed up my phone, but I
I have no idea whether it was a factory defect or whether it was my fault. Is there any way of completely loving up your phone by rooting? :ohdear:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Goddamn, I think I'm going to try to root my phone today. The last time I tried it screwed up my phone, but I
I have no idea whether it was a factory defect or whether it was my fault. Is there any way of completely loving up your phone by rooting? :ohdear:
Probably not. What phone?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

HTC Incredible S, but I've already updated it to Gingerbread so I don't know if I can use AlphaX to root it. The last time I tried it froze at the white HTC splash screen when I tried to continue rooting it, updating it to gingerbread, or when I tried to reset it to factory default.

Goddamn I hope that doesn't happen again, the service center couldn't even fix it, they had to give me a new set. :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deadly Chlorine posted:

HTC Incredible S, but I've already updated it to Gingerbread so I don't know if I can use AlphaX to root it. The last time I tried it froze at the white HTC splash screen when I tried to continue rooting it, updating it to gingerbread, or when I tried to reset it to factory default.

Goddamn I hope that doesn't happen again, the service center couldn't even fix it, they had to give me a new set. :smith:
Taking a look at the Revolutionary i.o site it seems like if you have the correct bootloader it should work. Is the IncS supported by HTC's official unlock tool?

Good luck either way.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've got to back up on what I said. I gave Virtuous Unity 2.37 a whirl on the Desire Z, and it's pretty smooth. I've have to give kudos to the devs.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Cm question: I just put the newest stable CM 7.0.3 on my inspire. when I plug regular non-miced headphones in, it has an icon showing a miced headset same as if I plug a miced headset in.

This is a bit confusing for me since I have a hw problem like a lot of htc users that makes the phone every once in a while think you do have a miced headset plugged in when it's actually just headphones and it can cause some problems. (voice dialer starting on its own, tracks changing on their own)

On the stock rom it had a miced and non-miced icon and my fix for the problem was seeing the miced headset icon show up and cleaning/replugging the headphone plug until it showed no mic.

It seems like CM only has one icon, either that or every single time I've plugged in since flashing it's recognized it as a headset (not likely, problem usually only occurs 2-3 times a week). Any ideas to help this situation?

PS. Long-press volume to change track is the most tits thing ever.

Also a general rom flashing ? This may be stupid newb stuff but besides a one-shot deal at putting cm7 on our nook a few months ago I am a newb to flashing roms.

For the inspire, CM install instructions said I needed to 1. do a cwm/nandroid backup of stock htc rom, 2. format cache, data and system from cwm 3. factory reset from cwm 4. flash rom

That all worked fine and I'm a CM-boy now but If I want to try out a sense 3.0 rom for a few days, do I just do the same steps as above, backing up my CM7 image, formatting,resetting, flashing and when I want to go back to CM, I can just restore from that cm7 backup image and be exactly where I left off?

If I want to try a CM7.1 RC, I just backup 703 and flash 71 right? Don't need to format or reset anything?

Do I need to format data, system, cache, and fact-reset from cwm before restoring from a backup image? Or does restoring a backup do that itself like ghosting a PC hdd?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 16, 2011

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

I've got to back up on what I said. I gave Virtuous Unity 2.37 a whirl on the Desire Z, and it's pretty smooth. I've have to give kudos to the devs.

So they actually fixed the base code for smooth? This is good news, I'll forward along the positive words to CJward.

Speaking of the Vrom-Team, I'm working on getting them to do a rewrite of Doubleshot to fix some of the niggling bugs that I'm experiencing with it. We started progress on that last night :ssh:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Slopehead posted:

So they actually fixed the base code for smooth? This is good news, I'll forward along the positive words to CJward.

Speaking of the Vrom-Team, I'm working on getting them to do a rewrite of Doubleshot to fix some of the niggling bugs that I'm experiencing with it. We started progress on that last night :ssh:

I actually prefer doubleshot because it was designed to operate in landscape (something I do often) and it was designed for an 800x480 screen. Like Unity I used an early version and it was insufferably slow, and the latest version as of two weeks ago caused a boot loop. I hope it improves because I prefer Sense 3 over CM7 over Sense 2.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Ditto. For what bugs it has, Doubleshot has been by far my favorite Sense rom period. VirtuousRom was insanely stable and had good battery life, but Doubleshot has superior eye candy, that landscape mode, and a dockable rosie. That's why I've pressed so hard for some sort of update: I see so much potential here to be THE go to Sense 3 rom for lower performance devices and it would be such a waste to let this slip by.

In other V-Rom Team news, they just dropped an improved stock rom for the HTC Sensation. Threads and downloads located here, and here.

Go hog wild!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Is there any way of completely loving up your phone by rooting? :ohdear:
Anytime you flash a bootloader it could go bad and the phone is "completely hosed" from your perspective, although even that should be reparable with some JTAG that repair centers should be capable of if the flash memory isn't hosed.

Mind you, rooting doesn't always involve a bootloader flash, that depends on the particular device and method. Also, any bootloader flash, including one as part of an official update can go bad as well. It's rare that it happens--I can't say exactly how many, but 1 in 1000 would be my initial guess.

My personal opinion is that the utility of having a rooted device far outweighs the relatively low risk that I'll gently caress up a new phone by doing it. But if you're totally cash strapped and that phone must work for you in all circumstances, rooting is perhaps not appropriate at this time.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
In CM7 with the Rotary Revamped lockscreen, is it possible to have the "Custom application" dimple on the rotary go to my phone rather than direct-dialing one person? It doesn't seem to give you a lot of options for the custom application.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

In CM7 with the Rotary Revamped lockscreen, is it possible to have the "Custom application" dimple on the rotary go to my phone rather than direct-dialing one person? It doesn't seem to give you a lot of options for the custom application.
It'd be crazy if it didn't since the extra pulltab version had one pulltab for Phone and the other for Messaging/Custom.

Just checked. CM Settings > Lockscreen > Style Options > Custom Application, Applications, Phone.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LastInLine posted:

It'd be crazy if it didn't since the extra pulltab version had one pulltab for Phone and the other for Messaging/Custom.

Just checked. CM Settings > Lockscreen > Style Options > Custom Application, Applications, Phone.

There we go. The first time I picked it it made the tab open my applications drawer. This time it let me choose an application. Odd.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is it normal for Cyanogen to take nearly 6 minutes to boot up? I am running Trigger on my Vibrant which is based on CM7 and it takes a long time to boot up, is this normal?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

Is it normal for Cyanogen to take nearly 6 minutes to boot up? I am running Trigger on my Vibrant which is based on CM7 and it takes a long time to boot up, is this normal?
Is it the first boot? If so, yes.

Android is rebuilding the Dalvik cache and that involves going through every app and optimizing it.

After that it will boot in about 10 seconds if it's like a Nexus S (and it's exactly like a Nexus S).

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Is it the first boot? If so, yes.

Android is rebuilding the Dalvik cache and that involves going through every app and optimizing it.

After that it will boot in about 10 seconds if it's like a Nexus S (and it's exactly like a Nexus S).

NO! it isn't first boot this is every time. It's always been like that, not sure if it's just the trigger build. I an going back to RC1 or a nightly build.

Also i am getting a LOT of "forced close" notices. Google apps crashes all the time, along with other apps. Initially everything was working fine but this is within the last few weeks.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 16, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

NO! it isn't first boot this is every time. It's always been like that, not sure if it's just the trigger build. I an going back to RC1 or a nightly build.

Also i am getting a LOT of "forced close" notices. Google apps crashes all the time, along with other apps. Initially everything was working fine but this is within the last few weeks.
Really? poo poo that's not right. CM7 boots up in right around 10 seconds on the Nexus S which is nearly identical hardware. I didn't think CM was officially supported on the Vibrant--is there a chance that whoever's doing this build just doesn't have the kinks worked out? Anyone else in the thread on xda (I'm assuming) complaining about the same?

That definitely doesn't sound right to me at all.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Did not see it in the OP and do not trust the random guides I find on Google, is there a good guide that anyone has used to root the HTC Inpsire?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Did not see it in the OP and do not trust the random guides I find on Google, is there a good guide that anyone has used to root the HTC Inpsire?
I know it's a cesspool but you're going to be spending a lot of time on this board. Here's the thread you need. Have fun with that.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
His innocence :(

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just did my inspire a few days ago with the ace hack kit v14 from xda. It's pretty much one click now for sim unlock clockwork install and su. I remember reading something, I can't find it now, about it supposedly can disable audio in the stock rom so you'll have to flash a rooted stock or other rom. (it was something about a kernel or radio downgrade needed for perm-rooting vuln that wasn't restored to a good kernel or radio but that may have been old v12 ace hack kit info I read in a forum that said that, v14 does lots more and I know I have a proper radio) I didn't even check the audio in stock after it was done, flashing cm7 was the whole reason I did this and that's the 1st thing I did.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 17, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Latest CM7 alpha for the Evo 3D fixes the battery meter.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Anyone with badass smartphone underworld connections know if anyone's working on rooting the Sharp FX plus? I looked around and found nothing, it doesn't even have a forum on XDA. The loving Sanyo Zio has it's own forum on the XDA. I feel like a street person.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

d0s posted:

Anyone with badass smartphone underworld connections know if anyone's working on rooting the Sharp FX plus? I looked around and found nothing, it doesn't even have a forum on XDA. The loving Sanyo Zio has it's own forum on the XDA. I feel like a street person.
To be fair to xda, I know someone with a Zio but I've never even heard of the Sharp FX. Have you tried the usual one click methods? It can't hurt.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is the best way to flash a radio on a nexus one? I am running cm7 and rom manager.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000
What's the problem with Rom Manager?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LastInLine posted:

To be fair to xda, I know someone with a Zio but I've never even heard of the Sharp FX. Have you tried the usual one click methods? It can't hurt.

I know nothing about rooting android, so I've been apprehensive about it. Worried about my phone becoming bricked or at the very least wiped. Is this irrational and should I just go for it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

What is the best way to flash a radio on a nexus one? I am running cm7 and rom manager.
I prefer the fastboot method. I'm not a huge fan of flashing random zips I find on XDA via Recovery.
  • Grab the relevant radio from here
  • If zipped, unzip the relevant .img file to the root of your SD card. Once it is on your SD card for the love of all that is holy check the md5 sum. If one is not provided by the OP, move on and find one that is. Flashing a bad radio image can and WILL brick the gently caress out of your phone.
  • In the CM7 reboot options choose Bootloader. Leave your USB cable plugged in.
  • Once in the bootloader type in "fastboot flash radio name_of_radio.img" in a command prompt. If fastboot isn't a known command on your computer than you will need to make sure you have the correct adb/fastboot drivers installed. The phone will prompt you to reboot once finished.

Edit: What radio are you currently running? Reasons for wanting to change? It's been awhile since I've dicked with an N1 but last time I saw of the scene everyone was still arguing which radio of the 3 or 4 relevant ones were better and it was an anecdotal pissing match.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 17, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

d0s posted:

I know nothing about rooting android, so I've been apprehensive about it. Worried about my phone becoming bricked or at the very least wiped. Is this irrational and should I just go for it?

Actually reading what you posted in the phone/OS thread and the responses there, I'd advise you to follow their advice and try to get a relevant device. It'll be a lot more worth it in the long run.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 17, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker of Shoes posted:

Edit: What radio are you currently running? Reasons for wanting to change? It's been awhile since I've dicked with an N1 but last time I saw of the scene everyone was still arguing which radio of the 3 or 4 relevant ones were better and it was an anecdotal pissing match.
There are just the three and you're right that they all work about the same. There isn't a good reason to gently caress with the radios on an N1.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

d0s posted:

Anyone with badass smartphone underworld connections know if anyone's working on rooting the Sharp FX plus?
Since the FX+ runs Froyo, it's probably vulnerable to the plethora of root exploits used in the past year. SuperOneClick or z4root probably could be made to work without too much trouble, but the fact that it's a low-end Android device from a non-traditional Android handset manufacturer means nobody with the know-how has thought to pick one up to hack on.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

LastInLine posted:

I know it's a cesspool but you're going to be spending a lot of time on this board. Here's the thread you need. Have fun with that.

:gonk:

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
So I'm running gingerbread on a Droid 2. I tried rooting it via DoRoot when I was running Froyo, and I think I got it rooted (titanium backup wasn't giving me any errors). Verizon pushed Gingerbread, and then everything went to poo poo - I'm half-rooted, with a bunch of problems. For example, I can see the super-user permissions icon in my apps list, but when I try to do anything that needs root, they all tell me they can't get access.

I've tried unrooting using DoRoot, and tried rerooting, but they can't regonize the device, or if they do, the program craps out anyway. I've also tried rooting using SuperOneClick and a few other programs, but they all fail or hang. I think part of the problem is I can't get de-bugging mode to turn on, even though I'd tried all of the modes, un-plugging it and re-plugging it, powering it up and down, and holding it upside down while booting it.

I got very close to using RSD Lite to try and flash it back to Froyo and start over, but then I read that doing that would probably brick it. I've also hard re-set it twice, and the super-user permissions icon is still there, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Based on how close I got to bricking it, I thought I'd step back and ask for some help - any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I've spent the entire day trying to fix this poo poo, and am really at the end of my wits.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Strom Thurmond posted:

So I'm running gingerbread on a Droid 2. I tried rooting it via DoRoot when I was running Froyo, and I think I got it rooted (titanium backup wasn't giving me any errors). Verizon pushed Gingerbread, and then everything went to poo poo - I'm half-rooted, with a bunch of problems. For example, I can see the super-user permissions icon in my apps list, but when I try to do anything that needs root, they all tell me they can't get access.

I've tried unrooting using DoRoot, and tried rerooting, but they can't regonize the device, or if they do, the program craps out anyway. I've also tried rooting using SuperOneClick and a few other programs, but they all fail or hang. I think part of the problem is I can't get de-bugging mode to turn on, even though I'd tried all of the modes, un-plugging it and re-plugging it, powering it up and down, and holding it upside down while booting it.

I got very close to using RSD Lite to try and flash it back to Froyo and start over, but then I read that doing that would probably brick it. I've also hard re-set it twice, and the super-user permissions icon is still there, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Based on how close I got to bricking it, I thought I'd step back and ask for some help - any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I've spent the entire day trying to fix this poo poo, and am really at the end of my wits.
Usually Gingerbread will break all root exploits and if you're rooted you never ever under any circumstances ever install an OTA.

I don't know the situation with that phone exactly and I know nothing about the hosed up situation with Motorola phones so I'm throwing out suggestions blind. Isn't there a way to SBF back to Froyo and start again? Considering you've done everything wrong that you could've up until now what's the worst that could happen? You brick it, it won't boot (but has the stock OTA on it), you take it to a Verizon store and you get a new phone?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Strom Thurmond posted:

So I'm running gingerbread on a Droid 2.
You probably still have "su" installed, but the OTA update reset the permissions bit on it so it can't actually get root privileges. That's pretty easy to fix if you can get a root shell again.

First thing though, you need "USB Debugging" to work again. It will only turn on when USB is disconnected. Power off your phone, pull the battery, wait 30s, put the battery back in and power on. Before connecting the USB cable, try turning "USB Debugging" back on. If it worked, you can proceed. If not, you're hosed right here and well, uhm, SBF time?

If you were able to get USB Debugging back on, then you can use the Bionic One-Click to get root again. Pay particular attention to the Droid X Notes as this is almost certainly the case you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

LastInLine posted:

Usually Gingerbread will break all root exploits and if you're rooted you never ever under any circumstances ever install an OTA.

I don't know the situation with that phone exactly and I know nothing about the hosed up situation with Motorola phones so I'm throwing out suggestions blind. Isn't there a way to SBF back to Froyo and start again? Considering you've done everything wrong that you could've up until now what's the worst that could happen? You brick it, it won't boot (but has the stock OTA on it), you take it to a Verizon store and you get a new phone?

Yeah, I deserve that - I read the first post and a few pages and decided I'd just learn as I went - didn't work out so hot for me. I only read on some droid-related forum that someone thought it might brick it, but you know, he was just some guy on the internet posting stuff. I'm not opposed to that, and I will probably do that if nothing else works, I'd just like to see if anyone else has any bright ideas.

Question on the returning-it-to-Verizon thing - how much of a hassle will they give me? My phone is a year old in November, so it's not like it's brand new or anything. But I guess if they can't turn it on they can't really say anything.