Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shrughes posted:

If you sell laptops without a VGA port you're basically guaranteeing people they can plug their laptop into any monitor. We use VGA connectors at work, plugging them into Samsung Syncmasters, because our computers have only one DVI output, and the quality is indistinguishable.

Plug them in side-by-side and try to tell me that.

VGA comes with the bonus of higher resolutions going wonky and not being detected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

shrughes posted:

If you sell laptops without a VGA port you're basically guaranteeing people they can plug their laptop into any monitor. We use VGA connectors at work, plugging them into Samsung Syncmasters, because our computers have only one DVI output, and the quality is indistinguishable.

your first sentence doesn't make sense and your second one lets me know you probably should get an eye exam.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Keynote thread is up if you want to bookmark it now and mark your calendars. :)

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
How hot do MBA or the MBP run now?

I remember when I had my Macbook Pro (late 2007 model I think), anytime Flash was involved (watching YouTube, streaming Starcraft matches), the fans would kick in (very loudly) and the bottom would be so hot I wouldn't be able let it sit on my lap.

Have they fixed the heat issue?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Flash still runs the fans up because Flash is garbage, but none of the 4 Apple laptops I've owned in the last few years have gotten too warm for my lap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shrughes posted:

D-Subs are things computer makers stick on laptops because the lowest common denominator end user is a sack of trash. There's no reason for a D-Sub connector on a laptop in 2012 other than user ignorance and poverty.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Even at 1680x1050 I can tell the difference between VGA and DVI side-by-side, and my eyes are basically as rubbish as you can get without technically needing glasses.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Bob Morales posted:

Plug them in side-by-side and try to tell me that.

They were plugged in side by side. They were indistinguishable. I had browser windows and microfont terminals on both sides.

You just need to have a decent cable and a half-decent DAC on the output port. I've found in every case that I've seen bad VGA-digital conversion that the problem was resolved by picking a better cable or picking newer laptop. The VGA cable that arrived with the monitor has worked perfectly with a Thinkpad W520 or T520 VGA output in the cases of a Dell ST22(1?)0, U2410M, and a new 24" 1920x1200 Samsung SyncMaster.

not Bob Morales posted:

D-Subs are things computer makers stick on laptops because the lowest common denominator end user is a sack of trash. There's no reason for a D-Sub connector on a laptop in 2012 other than user ignorance and poverty.

Oh certainly college professors that hook their laptops up to projectors are pieces of trash.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 9, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
In realistic land here I was helping my prof choose a new computer and he bemoaned the fact that most of the new laptops are using hdmi/thunderbolt. Now he just packs a $13 monoprice thunderbolt->VGA adapter in his bag. Problem solved.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When new Macs are released, how soon are they usually available on Amazon? Same day?

I have a ton of Amazon Gift Credit sitting around, and now the wife needs a new laptop, so I'd love to just buy it on there ASAP if they are announced on Monday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Astro7x posted:

When new Macs are released, how soon are they usually available on Amazon? Same day?

I have a ton of Amazon Gift Credit sitting around, and now the wife needs a new laptop, so I'd love to just buy it on there ASAP if they are announced on Monday.
A couple weeks usually.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shrughes posted:

Oh certainly college professors that hook their laptops up to projectors are pieces of trash.

College professors that cant figure out a sub $15 adapter and why that's the better option for both the users and the producers of laptops are mega trash, sorry.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Fun note about HDMI, there are mini and micro variants! So if Apple were to use it I wouldn't be surprised if they used one of those, or mini at first, then micro when that came about. Like how Apple had mini DVI and then micro DVI :downs:

There's also the whole pesky licensing cost of it, I think a few something like four cents, vs zero for DisplayPort (and VGA and DVI iirc). And apparently can save on circuitry internally vs the others. Otherwise now vs Thunderbolt, HDMI is just a video/audio (and limited other channel) port vs video/audio and PCIe.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Why my FW800 on my MBP always fallin' out?

Seriously, I have never had an accidental disconnect on my WhiteBook and it's old fw400 cable.

the FW800 falls out all the drat time from the MBP side. USB is ok.

Anyone else have this problem, and find a solution?

(now that I think about it, I have never been able to hook this computer up to a projector either, without the computer locking up. Maybe this side is just faulty?)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 9, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Flash still runs the fans up because Flash is garbage, but none of the 4 Apple laptops I've owned in the last few years have gotten too warm for my lap.
The current version of Flash that comes with Chrome is broken (again); with hardware acceleration on, everything stutters like a motherfucker and with it off the videos are smooth but it cooks my CPU. Flash is the worst, makes me wish HTML5 actually worked for me but it's even worse. :( The best option for watching Youtube videos is to copy the url into MplayerX but it's hardly convenient.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stare-Out posted:

The current version of Flash that comes with Chrome is broken (again); with hardware acceleration on, everything stutters like a motherfucker and with it off the videos are smooth but it cooks my CPU. Flash is the worst, makes me wish HTML5 actually worked for me but it's even worse. :( The best option for watching Youtube videos is to copy the url into MplayerX but it's hardly convenient.

Are you on the release or development version? Seems to be fine for me :confused:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Are you on the release or development version? Seems to be fine for me :confused:
Release, version 19.0. The Flash version is 11.2.202.235 even though Adobe's site claims the newest for Chrome OS X is 11.3.300.257 so who knows. Then again Chrome's update servers are apparently offline (getting error 11 when I check for updates) so I'm not sure if they've fixed it already.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kapalama posted:

Seriously, I have never had an accidental disconnect on my WhiteBook and it's old fw400 cable.

Anyone else have this problem, and find a solution?

(now that I think about it, I have never been able to hook this computer up to a projector either, without the computer locking up. Maybe this side is just faulty?)

FW800 is held by less force than FW400 and USB in general. The geometry of the connector should make that one a little obvious. The MBP is a little worse than PCIe cards I've used.

Basically just becareful, put something near your laptop for strain relief, possibly some weight on top of the cable near your laptop. In general unless you have screw locking FW800 cables its going to be easier to tug free than USB.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

A couple weeks usually.

Similar question to the one you answered: how soon do they tend to be available from Apple itself, either online or in-store? I'm not sure if I'll be getting a custom one or not; that depends on the specs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It varies by product and how Apple's feeling. Right now, we have no leaked shipments so don't expect anything in-store on Monday. Available online that day, probably in-store by next weekend.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

It varies by product and how Apple's feeling. Right now, we have no leaked shipments so don't expect anything in-store on Monday. Available online that day, probably in-store by next weekend.

Awesome! Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

hobbesmaster posted:

FW800 is held by less force than FW400 and USB in general. The geometry of the connector should make that one a little obvious. The MBP is a little worse than PCIe cards I've used.

Basically just becareful, put something near your laptop for strain relief, possibly some weight on top of the cable near your laptop. In general unless you have screw locking FW800 cables its going to be easier to tug free than USB.

So nothing wrong with my machine, it just is not going to attach solidly to FW800, then....

Thanks, but that is disappointing.

Is thunderbolt similarly lame in that regard?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nope, Thunderbolt/miniDP stays plugged in fairly well. FW800 is the worst connector I've ever used in that regard.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Secx posted:

How hot do MBA or the MBP run now?

I remember when I had my Macbook Pro (late 2007 model I think), anytime Flash was involved (watching YouTube, streaming Starcraft matches), the fans would kick in (very loudly) and the bottom would be so hot I wouldn't be able let it sit on my lap.

Have they fixed the heat issue?

I have both a 2010 and 2011 MBP and neither get obnoxiously hot unless your CPU is pegged all the time.

Now I have to decide whether to get a 2012 MBP if it has usb3 and retina. That's going to be tough to resist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

shrughes posted:

90% of the college professors I had who carted their laptops around were using macbook pros, so they were as annoyed about the connector situation as we are. Most classrooms had a little box full of assorted dongles- and some always had the displayport one attached to the VGA cable- so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

At almost every lecture I go to if there's a brief shot of the speaker's desktop and it's a mac you are guaranteed that there'll be a thousand unorganised files scattered across it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rockybar posted:

At almost every lecture I go to if there's a brief shot of the speaker's desktop and it's a mac you are guaranteed that there'll be a thousand unorganised files scattered across it.

I"ve never seen an organized desktop on any professor's computer. They all look like a sea of jpg and pdf files.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I"ve never seen an organized desktop on any professor's computer. They all look like a sea of jpg and pdf files.

The state of their computer simply reflects the state of their office.

I can count on one hand the number of times my feet could directly touch the floor while attending office hours.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rockybar posted:

You're guaranteed for the dock to be so full of icons you can barely make out which one is the browser, and neither can they.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

carry on then posted:

You're guaranteed for the dock to be so full of icons you can barely make out which one is the browser, and neither can they.

I had to show a customwr who has been using macs for over 5 years how to remove stuff from the dock for this exact reason. They tend to be the people who reply to all in emails and generally make me want to remove their ability to own a computer.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I, too, wish that I could stop everyone that does not optimize their computing experience from owning a computer.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

ZShakespeare posted:

I, too, wish that I could stop everyone that does not optimize their computing experience from owning a computer.

Its the fact something stupid like 50% of computer users cant read the loving screen, or follow the most basic instructions. These people also deserve to be sterilised so they cannot breed but some people think this is a touch harsh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

thegasman2000 posted:

Its the fact something stupid like 50% of computer users cant read the loving screen, or follow the most basic instructions. These people also deserve to be sterilised so they cannot breed but some people think this is a touch harsh.

So, does this mean Hitler would be a Mac user?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm certain that if I could sterilize people who don't have access to the same skill-set/level of education as I do that we would be left with a brilliant utopia of minimalist desktops and uncluttered docks. Truly a goal to strive towards.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a dozen screenshots on my desktop, about six or seven images I dragged from tumblr, and a whole set of videos because HandBrake just dumps videos to the desktop by default.

I go in and clean everything out once every other week or so, or whenever it starts to bother me. I really just use it as a big transit hub for files that are going to end up somewhere else, but I can't be bothered enough to actually create a specific temporary folder for.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

You're the perfect beta tester for the new thunderbolt dongle I've devised. Just plug it in for a few hours a day and nevermind the tingling sensation in your gonads.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ZShakespeare posted:

You're the perfect beta tester for the new thunderbolt dongle I've devised. Just plug it in for a few hours a day and nevermind the tingling sensation in your gonads.

I hope this "being mad on the internet" thing is working out for you. :)

---

I wonder if there will be any case redesigns, or if the improvements will just be internals. I know the current MBP design is going on 4 years old, but they went at least 5 years with the aluminum PowerBook case.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Installed my SSD just now, don't have much to say about it yet except that I was under the impression that my boot up time would be nearly instant, but it's not. User the timer on my iPhone it took me about 50 seconds from when I pressed the power button to getting to my desktop. Take off some seconds where I had to type in my username/password and it's still ~45 seconds from power on to desktop.

Is this as good as it gets or am I doing something wrong?

MBP 13" 2010 base model by the way.

Not directly comparable but my 2011 13" went from 45s to login w/ stock 5400rpm drive to 12s w/ mushkin SSD. So that seems off to me. What kind of SSD did you get?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

kapalama posted:

FireWire 400 connector was designed by Apple and later adopted by the IEEE as part of the 1394 standard.

FireWire 800 connector was designed by Molex as part of an IEEE committee and later adopted by Apple.

MDP connector was designed by Apple and later adopted by VESA.

Take from that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

If you go to chrome://plugins you will see that it has two versions of flash that it can use, the one inside of chrome.app and the system-wide one in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. It defaults to the bult-in version of flash when both plugins are enabled, but if you disable that you can use the same version that you use in other browsers.