Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

Plus I don't think there's any link between irony and anti-heroes.

J_RGB posted:

I would say antihero is an odd term to use about someone who I would think is on the most obvious level of reading a hero. Sure, there has been very interesting criticism that blurs the distinctions between the monsters and Beowulf, and questions why he doesn't have an heir at the end. Definitely it's an ambiguous, unsettling and difficult story. But I always thought an antihero was a 'postmodern' invention where you follow the exploits of someone whose actions you don't agree with but a layer of irony presents them as the hero.

He's not Batman though. Superheroes have a nasty habit of being a Travis Bickle fantasy, Beowulf was the epitome of an actual existing role, the Saxon thane/warrior/knight/thing. Though medieval literature featuring fighting and heroes is absolutely the real origin of superheroes.

Irony and antihero certainly aren't mutually exclusive, but I don't think irony is key to defining antihero. I am only going off my own studies, but antihero was always something I synthesized to mean, "a character presented to the reader as the clear hero of the story, who exhibits traits not traditionally associated with an epic hero character" followed by an assload of examples of what "hero traits" are, which can all be summed up by: a man who, while following the conventions of acceptance in the larger society, solves individual and larger-scope problems. Basically Jesus. Superman for most internet atheist. The hero in Western culture (comparative literature) and in lots of other cultures, usually solves his problems with straightforward cleverness (few tricks) and/or reasonable violence (no dismemberment, etc...). This definition excludes, say, Goldilocks... or Lysistrata because they are tricksy, or need rescuing, but includes every male character from Hercules to Captain America.

I get that Batman =/= Beowulf entirely, though. Batman is just convenient. I guess I could compare Batman better to someone like... any Greek God... but a lot of people would disagree with me because "anger" isn't an antihero trait to them. I disagree. I think anger is just the first step on the antihero staircase, and I think antiheroes are a direct response to heroes. I think I am a literary conspiracy theorist.

See, I always look at the antihero as a masculine character exhibiting traditionally feminine traits. That is what I imagine is the original deviation--male acting female. I can definitely concede that Beowulf isn't the quintessential antihero, though. Certainly, Beowulf is very masculine, and displays heroic traits (brave, strong, conventionally attractive). He is masculine even in a postmodern sense (tough, sarcastic, meat-eating man).

I admit, that, as does any reader, I am definitely looking at Beowulf from a modern perspective and seeing him as antihero. But I see him this way because he is so grotesquely violent. His violence is a kind of aberration to me. I wonder in what capacity the antihero existed before Beowulf's aberrant violence. Beowulf's destruction of Grendel is particularly but not in any way cartoonishly gruesome (like most postmodern "edgy" heroes, who aren't antiheroes to me, but I have a feeling I shouldn't bother with that argument).

Tree Goat posted:

for those of you keeping score at home, the batman comparison occurs in the 7th sentence, and the harry potter reference occurs in the 9th (of 13 total).

Okay, honestly I'm more comfortable comparing Beowulf to Hamlet. People think it's weird and stupid and ignorant, but in my opinion, Hamlet is a more powerful antihero that Batman, because Batman is pretty 2-dimensional. In my opinion, he's an antihero mostly because he is emotional and feels conflict over his role as a hero. Couple this with the physicality of Bruce Wayne--he doesn't have any extra-human abilities, en wrote--and Batman is a pretty standard antihero: a hero with consequences. To boot, Batman isn't even Beowulf in terms of stoic bravery and overall emotional abstinence (excluding gettin' all riled up). Batman used to just get angry, but now he kills people so he doesn't really work any more, probably.

Hamlet, on the other hand, is an early canon antihero who repeatedly bucks not only hero conventions, but also traditional masculine ideals of not only the time in which he existed, but the time in which he is currently being studied. I mean, Batman is cool and basically everyone in the West, and some parts of the rest of the world, knows who he is and understands his realistic cultural significance and his "antihero-status" among Western heroes. However, Hamlet, better represents to me the Male Antihero (frankly, the most common antihero figure) so much better. I wouldn't object to talking about other early Western antiheroes. I really like Hamlet.

There are no antiheroes in Harry Potter, in my opinion. Snape doesn't count. He's a spy--a James Bond, a person who solves their problems by pretending to be someone else. None of the main cast count, because they are geniunely, and without irony, fighting for the side of clearly defined Good. Draco doesn't count because he remains a bad decision maker, and weak, angry person until the end.

I get that I mentioned Harry Potter which is like a "popular thing," but The Chronicles of Narnia is canon, and it's genre fiction., In my opinion it's a little short-sided to assume a series isn't worth discussing, simply because it's popular, and people are weirdly sexual about it on the internet. There are plenty of canon Western novels that were popular at the time of their publishing, and they were genre-fiction. The internet wasn't around then, but I bet people were still loving freaks. There exists, published and lauded, Pride and Prejudice fan fiction. Popular and stupid doesn't mean not culturally meaningful.

For the record, I am neither comparing nor contrasting anything to anything.

CestMoi posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What the gently caress are you even talking about

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

david crosby posted:

For a dude who was a hyper-nationalist, borderline fascist, bodybuilder, super gay samurai who killed himself in the most epic way possible, he did write some lovely stuff. Forbidden Colors was terrible, iirc.

I liked that one, there's a really cool rant where an old man says that women don't have souls, and later on the old man is compared to a skeleton when he's having sex with a women who was blackmailed, it's chill.

failing forward posted:

Irony and antihero certainly aren't mutually exclusive, but I don't think irony is key to defining antihero. I am only going off my own studies, but antihero was always something I synthesized to mean, "a character presented to the reader as the clear hero of the story, who exhibits traits not traditionally associated with an epic hero character" followed by an assload of examples of what "hero traits" are, which can all be summed up by: a man who, while following the conventions of acceptance in the larger society, solves individual and larger-scope problems. Basically Jesus. Superman for most internet atheist. The hero in Western culture (comparative literature) and in lots of other cultures, usually solves his problems with straightforward cleverness (few tricks) and/or reasonable violence (no dismemberment, etc...). This definition excludes, say, Goldilocks... or Lysistrata because they are tricksy, or need rescuing, but includes every male character from Hercules to Captain America.

I get that Batman =/= Beowulf entirely, though. Batman is just convenient. I guess I could compare Batman better to someone like... any Greek God... but a lot of people would disagree with me because "anger" isn't an antihero trait to them. I disagree. I think anger is just the first step on the antihero staircase, and I think antiheroes are a direct response to heroes. I think I am a literary conspiracy theorist.

See, I always look at the antihero as a masculine character exhibiting traditionally feminine traits. That is what I imagine is the original deviation--male acting female. I can definitely concede that Beowulf isn't the quintessential antihero, though. Certainly, Beowulf is very masculine, and displays heroic traits (brave, strong, conventionally attractive). He is masculine even in a postmodern sense (tough, sarcastic, meat-eating man).

I admit, that, as does any reader, I am definitely looking at Beowulf from a modern perspective and seeing him as antihero. But I see him this way because he is so grotesquely violent. His violence is a kind of aberration to me. I wonder in what capacity the antihero existed before Beowulf's aberrant violence. Beowulf's destruction of Grendel is particularly but not in any way cartoonishly gruesome (like most postmodern "edgy" heroes, who aren't antiheroes to me, but I have a feeling I shouldn't bother with that argument).

Okay, honestly I'm more comfortable comparing Beowulf to Hamlet. People think it's weird and stupid and ignorant, but in my opinion, Hamlet is a more powerful antihero that Batman, because Batman is pretty 2-dimensional. In my opinion, he's an antihero mostly because he is emotional and feels conflict over his role as a hero. Couple this with the physicality of Bruce Wayne--he doesn't have any extra-human abilities, en wrote--and Batman is a pretty standard antihero: a hero with consequences. To boot, Batman isn't even Beowulf in terms of stoic bravery and overall emotional abstinence (excluding gettin' all riled up). Batman used to just get angry, but now he kills people so he doesn't really work any more, probably.

Hamlet, on the other hand, is an early canon antihero who repeatedly bucks not only hero conventions, but also traditional masculine ideals of not only the time in which he existed, but the time in which he is currently being studied. I mean, Batman is cool and basically everyone in the West, and some parts of the rest of the world, knows who he is and understands his realistic cultural significance and his "antihero-status" among Western heroes. However, Hamlet, better represents to me the Male Antihero (frankly, the most common antihero figure) so much better. I wouldn't object to talking about other early Western antiheroes. I really like Hamlet.

There are no antiheroes in Harry Potter, in my opinion. Snape doesn't count. He's a spy--a James Bond, a person who solves their problems by pretending to be someone else. None of the main cast count, because they are geniunely, and without irony, fighting for the side of clearly defined Good. Draco doesn't count because he remains a bad decision maker, and weak, angry person until the end.

I get that I mentioned Harry Potter which is like a "popular thing," but The Chronicles of Narnia is canon, and it's genre fiction., In my opinion it's a little short-sided to assume a series isn't worth discussing, simply because it's popular, and people are weirdly sexual about it on the internet. There are plenty of canon Western novels that were popular at the time of their publishing, and they were genre-fiction. The internet wasn't around then, but I bet people were still loving freaks. There exists, published and lauded, Pride and Prejudice fan fiction. Popular and stupid doesn't mean not culturally meaningful.

please stop talking about bat man and other stupid crap in this thread

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

failing forward posted:

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Sometimes I try my best and it isn't good enough. This bodes well for future conferences.

I'm reading Lord of Light and I like it. The writing style reminds me of Merritt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
falling forward is cool and I welcome him to this thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this is the just and proportional karmic response for you guys talking about a comic book itt, even if it was only for three or four posts. eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also fyi we do not discuss Harry Potter because its popular but because Harry Potter blows

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also fyi we do not discuss Harry Potter because its popular but because Harry Potter blows

the first two movies are ok

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

the first two movies are ok

Which one was directed by Cuaron because that one was probably ok

Havent seen it though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Harry Potter books are tight

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Marty Stu and the Deus Ex Machina

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

The technical aspects of Rowling's writing style/technique are pretty interesting. Ron is the best character in the whole series. She should have killed him. Maybe.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
nvm

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 28, 2016

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Marty Stu and the Deus Ex Machina

Who cares if there are instances of cheap storytelling. Children deserve something that tackles moral issues while actually being fun.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
how he kissed me under the moorish wall and i thought well as well him as another and then i asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me does the adventures of harry potter and his friends provide an interesting platform for really some quite mature hermeneutical spadework my mountain flower and first i put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel whether or not i was disappointed with the latest run of a marvel comic book yes and his heart was going like mad and yes i said yes i will Yes.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Harry Potter is one of the things that saved fantasy genre from complete destruction, enabling writers like Gaiman and Mieville who at least try. Besides, are we really going to diss childrens books, come on (adults reading ya is another matter)

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Ive started reading The Third Policeman from hearing about it in this thread and it is fun and good thank you

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

how he kissed me under the moorish wall and i thought well as well him as another and then i asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me does the adventures of harry potter and his friends provide an interesting platform for really some quite mature hermeneutical spadework my mountain flower and first i put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel whether or not i was disappointed with the latest run of a marvel comic book yes and his heart was going like mad and yes i said yes i will Yes.

heh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All children shoukld spend their entire years from 4-like 18 or something reading just ALice in Wonderland and the poems of Edward Lear that's what I did and I am easily the best poster in this, the thread for child loving.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bandiet posted:

Who cares if there are instances of cheap storytelling. Children deserve something that tackles moral issues while actually being fun.

Moral issues are semantic nonsense and children deserve books that tell them there is no objective reality

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
When ur a kid u have to read one of those big original Grimm's compilations where all the stories are basically identical with two nouns changed.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

kids should just read the bible. lots of good stories + an important part of western society

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

and give them aesop's fables to make sure they become a classic liberal in the future

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

Harry Potter is one of the things that saved fantasy genre from complete destruction, enabling writers like Gaiman and Mieville who at least try. Besides, are we really going to diss childrens books, come on (adults reading ya is another matter)

It would have cool if the fantasy genre had been destroyed, imo

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
goosebumps and lovely star wars novels

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
shel silverstein calvin and hobbes collections scary stories to tell in the dark

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tove Jansson did the moomins and also did some good adult fiction

Get u a man who can do both

e: Tove Jansson was not a man, however

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I have a question: How would I go about reading Beowulf?
Is the original accessible enough or do I want a modern translation? For background: I am not a native English speaker but I am reading a lot, almost exclusively, in English.
I am a native German speaker though, which should help with old English? I guess?
Please enlighten me, I always wanted to read that thing but I´m afraid that half of it would fly over my head. Hope this is the right thread but you were talking about Beowulf...and Batman.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Hantama posted:

Is the original accessible enough or do I want a modern translation? For background: I am not a native English speaker but I am reading a lot, almost exclusively, in English.
I am a native German speaker though, which should help with old English? I guess?
Please enlighten me, I always wanted to read that thing but I´m afraid that half of it would fly over my head. Hope this is the right thread but you were talking about Beowulf...and Batman.

This is the original. If you can read it, more power to you. I'd suggest picking up Seamus Heaney's translation, though

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hantama posted:

I haven't read is, but this is dual language old english - english on opposing pages
http://www.amazon.de/Beowulf-Dual-L...eywords=beowulf

So you can always try for the old english and use the english text to help you out?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

One of the best essayists around today, Jenny Diski, just died. She had stuff published in the LRB which was really good.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
Ok, seeing the old English i won´t be able to read that, like not a word of it I guess I´d thought that it was way more like modern English with a bit more German in there.
I looked into the dual book and that is of course way more readable while still having the original which is nice to look at. I´ll start with the translation on that site and if I honestly want to read the whole thing I´ll buy that book.
Thanks!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

It would have cool if the fantasy genre had been destroyed, imo

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

J_RBG posted:

One of the best essayists around today, Jenny Diski, just died. She had stuff published in the LRB which was really good.

You could pretty loving clearly see this coming, but still feels weird. RIP.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bandiet posted:

Yes important morals such as

"important people are born important and self-determination is meaningless"

"its ok to break the rules if you are special and you want to"

"people who look bad at first glance are in fact bad"

"those who do not have the advantages that you do are lesser than you"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Don't hate just because you know you'd be a Hufflepuff

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its also saying something how cool you guys seem to be with sending children into an isolated cultural environment where they do not learn anything other than a narrow range of skills that have no value other than within their current environment, thus condemning them to a perpetual cycle of exclusion from the rest of the world and self-sustaining their own archaic social system.

What if Harry Potter wanted to be an engineer huh? I don't see Calculus or Physics on the Hogwart's curriculum.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I ask you, what difference is there between the goals of Hogwarts and Boko Haram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its also saying something how cool you guys seem to be with sending children into an isolated cultural environment where they do not learn anything other than a narrow range of skills that have no value other than within their current environment, thus condemning them to a perpetual cycle of exclusion from the rest of the world and self-sustaining their own archaic social system.

Says English major