Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chimera-gui posted:

While Digimon has been drawing from the Persona well recently with in terms of both design (e.g. NoblePumpkinmon) and writing (e.g. Cyber Sleuth) I feel like that be a line too far to cross, especially this early when we haven't even seen the full cast and said cast's age.

Hell, Cyber Sleuth even has the same character designer as Devil Survivor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Near the end of the third cour in Appmon. Specifically at when the main four appmon die. :stare:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's your lion death for the season.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'll probably have some cool-rear end thoughts tomorrow since i'm at episode 44. A lot of good stuff, very good digimon. However Leviathan's ridiculously circuitous plan that is one quarter complete to find the big yellow boy sure does often times end up at odds with itself and could probably be solved easier, but oh well.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Man, that was so good. The animation is so stylish, fluid, and impressive. Toei is bringing out the big guns and then some. It's so cool seeing Taichi and Yamato working together like it's nothing. Real tension between the Tokyo missile attack and Algomon evolving repeatedly. Omegamon showing up this early like it's Our War Game is hype as hell!! I can't wait to see where this excellent show goes next. Crazy awesome stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So interesting stuff ahead apparently.

https://withthewill.net/threads/adventure-guide-listings-with-new-titles-vintage-playset.23337/

Episode 2 - War Game
April 12th / Screenplay by Atsuhiro Tomioka
Elementary school student Taichi Yagami, along with a strange Digimon creature who calls himself Agumon, take down a Digimon causing cyber terrorism throughout Tokyo. However, the Digimon's attack wasn't over. This time, it was attacking the USA military's tactical network. During that, Taichi and Greymon (Agumon's evolved form) meet a boy named Yamato Ishida and his Digimon partner Garurumon (Gabumon's evolved form) inside the digital area. Taichi calls for Yamato and Garurumon to form a team with them and fight the threat.

Episode 3 - To the Digital World
April 19th / Screenplay by Atsuhiro Tomioka
The USA military's tactical network is invaded by a Digimon and the military system goes haywire. Taichi and his team fight desperately to stop the missiles, but the more they take down the enemy Digimon, the more it evolves. Then missiles are launched at Tokyo. The enemy Digimon shoots out balls of light that directly hit Greymon and Garurumon, when a giant white Digimon appears...?!

Episode 4 - Birdramon Flies
April 26th / Screenplay by Kenichi Yamashita
Blackouts occur throughout the city. Taichi and Koushiro Izumi, who knows a lot about the internet, worry that something has happened in the Digital World where Agumon and the others are. Koushiro estimates that if the blackout continues for more than 72 hours, it will paralyze all of Tokyo's municipal functions. "We're the only ones who can do something about this!" so the kids head once more to the Digital World. But the world they came upon looked vastly different from how they'd seen it before. Also, Taichi thought that he had reached the Digital World with Koushiro, but who came with him instead was Taichi's childhood friend, Sora Takenouchi.

Episode 5 - The Holy Digimon
May 3rd / Screenplay by Atsuhiro Tomioka
The deadline for Tokyo's municipal functions ceasing is approaching. Taichi, Agumon, and Sora search for a solution and aim for the "temple" that was written on a lithograph in the Digital World. Meanwhile, Koushiro who arrived in a different part of the Digital World, communicates with Taichi while gathering information with a Digimon that he met there, Tentomon. But then, Koushiro and Tentomon are swallowed up by a mysterious giant Digimon...?!

Episode 6 - The Targeted Kingdom
May 10th / Screen by Hiroshi Yamaguchi

Looks like they're recapping the end of previous episodes a bit, at least for 3 and possibly 4's start? If I had to guess, 3 ends with Tai and Izzy going to the true Digital World only for the reveal that he's with Sora. Then 4 is all about that and maybe ends with Izzy alone in the Digital World, meeting Izzy.

Episode 4 is, obviously, when Sora gets Birdramon, which amusingly is on target with season 1. And...motherfucker, episode 5 is when Kabuterimon first appeared too. I swear to God if Mimi shows up for episode 6

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adrián Barba made a cover of the first opening! If people are unfamiliar with him, he's sung several Latin American openings and is loved by us. He's also prolific in Dragon Ball, continuing our parallels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64TA8h84ruk

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Adrián Barba made a cover of the first opening! If people are unfamiliar with him, he's sung several Latin American openings and is loved by us. He's also prolific in Dragon Ball, continuing our parallels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64TA8h84ruk

Holy crap, thank you for this, I'd no idea he existed!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like that despite having rival vibes, Yamato doesn't act like a dick towards Taichi. Lots of rival types are arrogant jackasses who belittle and antagonize the main character for no good reason, so the way they're handling Yamato has been pretty nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

amigolupus posted:

I like that despite having rival vibes, Yamato doesn't act like a dick towards Taichi. Lots of rival types are arrogant jackasses who belittle and antagonize the main character for no good reason, so the way they're handling Yamato has been pretty nice.
Hard agree. Shout out to Gabumon for dealing with rear end in a top hat Matt so we don’t have to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yamato appears to just be very shy which fits a tonne with Gabumon as a partner.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Been thinking about how Greymon was pleasantly surprised to see Garurumon alive and it’s funny how the Digimon don’t really seem to hang when not with the digidestined. Didn’t they all keep to different regions in 02 too? They’re kinda like work associates.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

Been thinking about how Greymon was pleasantly surprised to see Garurumon alive and it’s funny how the Digimon don’t really seem to hang when not with the digidestined. Didn’t they all keep to different regions in 02 too? They’re kinda like work associates.

In season 1 they were kind of friends but you never really got them interacting with each other much beyond competition. Season 2 Patamon and Gatomon had a whole thing going on and Veemon was jealous but outside that they had even less to do with one another.

So seeing some genuine friendship between Greymon and Garurumon is fantastic. I love Garurumon's doggy grin.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The most hilarious part of episode 2 for me was Koshiro getting details about the nuclear sub. The thought of various professionals and people-in-the-know sharing classified information to a 4th grader never fails to make me laugh. Even Yamato was all "waitwhat?" about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

amigolupus posted:

The most hilarious part of episode 2 for me was Koshiro getting details about the nuclear sub. The thought of various professionals and people-in-the-know sharing classified information to a 4th grader never fails to make me laugh. Even Yamato was all "waitwhat?" about it.

You'd have to be a pretty lovely intelligence community not to know who the protagonists are.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
“Uh, yes. I am absolutely an adult grown man and most certainly not a child, I love shaving my facial hair and driving cars.”

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The Cyber Sleuth story's gone off the rails :psyduck: Arata's sucking up Digimon left and right, Pete's a cat that died and turned into a Digimon, Kyoko's a Digimon and also her car???

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

The Cyber Sleuth story's gone off the rails :psyduck: Arata's sucking up Digimon left and right, Pete's a cat that died and turned into a Digimon, Kyoko's a Digimon and also her car???

Yeah, it's great. The game has a lot of things you don't see coming but also don't feel stupid in the large scheme of things, or at least feel like the right kind of stupid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheHan posted:

Oh, you’re just getting to the latter part of the game. The plot just keeps escalating as things go on from this point. We haven’t even gotten to the real insanity yet.

As for the Adventure reboot, I’m glad to see it shaking things up, but it may be going too crazy, too soon. It could use some time to slow down and let itself breathe for a few episodes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Finished Appmon. Those last few episodes are insanely intense, holy gently caress. I really like Haru and how it all ended.

Eri is the best thing to happen to anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MorningMoon posted:

Finished Appmon. Those last few episodes are insanely intense, holy gently caress. I really like Haru and how it all ended.

Eri is the best thing to happen to anime.

Thank you for having the right opinions and welcome to the Kanan Eri Fan Club where we stan the Center of the Universe, Kanan Eri-sama.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Thank you for having the right opinions and welcome to the Kanan Eri Fan Club where we stan the Center of the Universe, Kanan Eri-sama.

Kanan Eri is the center of the why Appmon works. The show basically treats the MotW style with the most reverence and respect. MotW escalates from zany plots, to character interaction, to exploration, and to growth, while having it lead into the big stories events. Meanwhile, maybe by coincidence, the 4 male leads are all pushed aside: Haru is not giving too much focus above the rest, likely since people were tired of protags stealing teh show in Toei products. Astora is a pretty static character so he just gets his family stories. Rei's sibling hunt can't progress until the last arc, so he doesn't have much to offer the cast. Yujin only truly joins halfway in, gets half a cour and then it's back to the waiting room for the last arc like Rei. This leaves Eri to get all that extra time the Monster of the Week episodes offer, and as those grow in value, so does she, and she gets to show practical growth, as well. Beautiful synergy.

I think my favorite moment was still Globemon's debut, but the final fight was also insanely spectacular.
As for the ending I really like the irony of Leviathan's defeat, his plan could only work with an AI so powerful it could earn the trust of not just a human, but also their whole network. But that means that he made an AI capable of loving and being loved by a person, a community, and help them grow as part of it, thus completely invalidating the plan. it's great.

Second best Digimon for sure, it's just very high quality all around. It doesn't reach as many or as high of peaks as Tamers did.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well met fellow traveler, your opinions don't perfectly mirror mine but do strongly resemble them.

Appmon is really good, and it had an extremely good cast and knew how to use them and in what combinations to excellent effect. There's a lot of incredibly good character scenes and moments running through the entire back half, and it's a crying shame so many people wrote it off for so long when it was so good.

Geostomp posted:

As for the Adventure reboot, I’m glad to see it shaking things up, but it may be going too crazy, too soon. It could use some time to slow down and let itself breathe for a few episodes.

This was sort of my problem with the first episode as well, so I was rather pleased that the show did actually have a prolonged sequence of Taichi, Yamato, and Koushirou all talking during the second episode, but I still get what you mean. I suspect from the episode previews we probably won't get a full on breather until the back half of episode 3, or possibly into episode 4 and they might still be pushing it hard, but I do really hope it lets up because keeping up this pace would be an exhausting watch. The show has gone big, now it needs to go small. Let's remember one of Adventure 99's best episodes was 21, which was mostly Taichi and Hikari talking.

I get the sense that they wanted the opening to be EXPLOSIVE and I get that. Adventure 20 goes at lightspeed from the word go to simultaneously try and appeal to nostalgia, set the fanbase on fire (which judging purely by the thread and twitter worked incredibly, Omegamon was trending so hard on Japanese twitter within minutes of his appearance that it hit the worldwide charts), and maybe also to try and put as much possible distance between them and Tri/Last Evolution (a worthy cause). Still, a show is more than just its first two episodes, I really hope they don't burn themselves out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From the episode previews floating around I wouldn't be supprised if after OWG we get a slower mini arc introducing the rest of the cast ala the orgional.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

amigolupus posted:

Yeah the show is extremely accurate

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, it's great. The game has a lot of things you don't see coming but also don't feel stupid in the large scheme of things, or at least feel like the right kind of stupid.

It’s impressive how everything in the last few chapters had been alluding to. The early stuff had me expecting obvious twists like of course Agumon and Gabumon will eventually make Omegamon, and obviously Yuugo and Yuuko are related. While hints for way bigger things down the line blew past me. This game absolutely deserves more love than it got.

Geostomp posted:

Oh, you’re just getting to the latter part of the game. The plot just keeps escalating as things go on from this point. We haven’t even gotten to the real insanity yet.

I slowed down with main quests and started taking side quests just to make the experience last longer, but it turns out the climax is way more exciting than whatever Dr.Datamon has going on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Digimon twitter posted the beta design for Gaomon and I kind of want it as a different Digimon because it's a cute boi
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/1250806483597615104

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Digimon twitter posted the beta design for Gaomon and I kind of want it as a different Digimon because it's a cute boi
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/1250806483597615104

Way better than the final version we got.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's way too busy for a child level. It'd work better as a small Adult, or an X-Antibody.

Also boxing spitz dog is good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It doesn’t register as busy to me since it’s just an animal fur pattern and ties it closer to Wanyamon.

Plus the Gaomon line is busy as fuuuck, if anything busy would fit right in.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what are you talking about? The line has a lot of solid colors, and avoids excessive stripes like the Gabumon line does. The presence of clothing or armor doesn't add up to busy by default.

This has a fair number of stripes plus extraneous accessories and the flowing feather things, which adds up to busier than Gaogamon, who uses primarily solid unbroken groups of blue, red, and white. Most Child Digimon have three to four main colors tops, this would likely have more. Not to mention, he'd turn Gaogamon into a case of the line being a case of "it just gets bigger". I'd also argue the yin yang plate doesn't fit with the more western boxer and knight themes the line ends up with later.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It looks cuter though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not arguing it isn't cute. I just don't think it works well as a replacement for Gaomon and the design would be better served in some other capacity.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Nodosaur posted:

what are you talking about? The line has a lot of solid colors, and avoids excessive stripes like the Gabumon line does. The presence of clothing or armor doesn't add up to busy by default.

This has a fair number of stripes plus extraneous accessories and the flowing feather things, which adds up to busier than Gaogamon, who uses primarily solid unbroken groups of blue, red, and white. Most Child Digimon have three to four main colors tops, this would likely have more. Not to mention, he'd turn Gaogamon into a case of the line being a case of "it just gets bigger". I'd also argue the yin yang plate doesn't fit with the more western boxer and knight themes the line ends up with later.

When I think of busy designs I usually think in terms of silhouette and accessories. Gaomon and Gaogamon are solid but MachGaogamon does so much in every direction. Why even jet turbines. MirageGaogamon doesn’t have as many accessories and his design is better for it but he is that type of mega that has a bunch of detail put into every part, like Adventure Waygreymon vs Tri. Wargreymon. Also what a weird pivot to a knight theme when he’d been a boxer the whole time, right? That’s just personally weird to me. I’m sure if beta Gaomon made it through the later stages would’ve looked way different

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s fair. But I always assumed the knight theme was because Touma’s status as half Austrian and being a nobleman. Also the jet pack on MachGaogamon was to continue the line’s emphasis on speed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So was talking about the original five V-Pets(the Digital Monster series) on another site, and the topic turned to thematic coherency, and man some of them were better about it than others, like version 1 and version 5* are extremely coherent, while versions 2, 3, and 4 are all a lot messier, with version 2 being downright nonsensical when you get down to it(and when you use that phrase to describe something in this franchise you just know something has gone horribly wrong)

*we're intentionally ignoring that most of version 5's sprites come from a Godzilla V-Pet originally

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's what I mean when I say that Digimon wasn't originally about making complete evolution lines or having everything be 1:1 thematically consistent. Back then they just wanted to introduce a wide variety of different monsters with the limited space they had, and evolution was meant to be less of an assured thing where the wolf cosplayer only became the wolf; he also became the big giant firebird and the bug too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

*we're intentionally ignoring that most of version 5's sprites come from a Godzilla V-Pet originally

You can't drop something like this and not explain it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

all of the Digital Monster ver. 5 sprites are recycled from another virtual pet Bandai did that featured kaiju.

DarkTyrannomon was derived from Godzilla.
Deltamon was derived from Ghidorah.
Flymon was made from Mothra.
Tuskmon was made from Anguirus.
And Raremon from Hedorah.

No idea who Devidramon and Cyclomon come from though. MetalTyrannomon is probably Mechagodzilla but I don't recognize who Nanomon/Datamon and Ex-Tyrannomon are derived from either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://wikimon.net/Digital_Monster_Ver._5

Digimon and Godzilla are pretty closely tied