Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

What conspiracy theory took over in 2014 that diverted everyone from UFOs?

Or are most of the UFOsters just dying off, my batshit uncle died back in 2013 :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sweeperbravo posted:

Or are most of the UFOsters just dying off, my batshit uncle died back in 2013 :/

The real life started to be so insane that nobody needs the UFOs anymore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A few years before the peak of UFO sightings, everybody started carrying around high-quality cameras at all times.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

sweeperbravo posted:

Flat Earth

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

A few years before the peak of UFO sightings, everybody started carrying around high-quality cameras at all times.

This sounds reasonable. The peak takes off during the early smartphone era when everyone started having a lovely camera on them, then the drop kicks in around the time that even cheap phones were getting decent cameras.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Theris posted:

This sounds reasonable. The peak takes off during the early smartphone era when everyone started having a lovely camera on them, then the drop kicks in around the time that even cheap phones were getting decent cameras.

https://xkcd.com/1235/

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It looks like it's just a count of reports submitted to this very professional looking website. So there's a pretty good chance it's just something effecting that specific site. Maybe something started driving traffic to the site around 2011 and it stopped in 2014. The final numbers for 2018 might make that drop look less dramatic too. Less off a sudden drop and more of a slow rise with a sudden spike really.

I am under the impression that UFO crankery is very passe amongst cranks though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've always thought that the big surge of UFO conspiracies generally happened in the 90s (you had stuff like Roswell before that, but the 90s is really when that hit the zeitgeist), and a big part of that is probably the geopolitical situation at the time. The 90s was the first time in perhaps most of a century when people didn't really have something big and unknowable to fear or worry about. That's probably why you have a lot of generally happy pop culture at the time, but people were so used to being scared of something that, in a world without those, they started imagining that threat coming from outside their world. Stuff like the X-Files helped it along by putting it on a huge pop culture stage, but they were tapping into something already there.

Then of course 9/11 happened, and the big conspiracies changed over time from being about aliens to being about the government, or terrorism. Aliens didn't seem like such a big deal when given a human conflict to worry about.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
It’s the other way around. The aliens were getting more active as they prepared to reveal themselves to the world. They saw us as being on the verge on the enlightenment age, and were going to guide us there. And then we hosed up with the little Bush and everything else. It’s ok, they’ll be back in a couple centuries to check if we’re still around. They are a patient bunch.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
UFO sighting in the US also tend to qualitatively correlate to whatever the US military was testing at the time - see for example all the triangles in the early 80’s, when Lockheed was testing the F-117.

Now maybe the USAF is testing poo poo that looks like existing planes... or they’re out of R&D money.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or they've finally developed optical stealth camouflage :tinfoil:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lower number = better at keeping equipment cool.

im the mayonnaise.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does the red mean.

I could go for some coolant mustard rn

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Found the source https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermal-compound-roundup-january-2012/5/

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

:stonklol:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The entire series of those is great.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's a series of those??

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Same with a lot of other paranormal poo poo. Before the days of "literally everybody can record anything they see at a moment's notice" you could start a story with "well I was alone and..." and it was ultimately up to people if they believed you or not. There was no way to actually verify it. Now you'd get "well why didn't you record it?" If that kind of thing actually happened there'd be way more video of it. The fact that there isn't pretty strongly shows that a lot of it was bullshit.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

catfry posted:

Is this graph accurate regarding construction costs?
It just seems odd to have more or less stable costs during the sub-prime housing crash of 08. I could understand it some input prices like oil had spiked but it doesn't really correlate. Just wondering.
E: Actually now I think about it 08 was when us pump prices went way up, maybe that can explain some of it.

I imagine it varies from sub-field to sub-field. I mostly deal in roads, and when ARRA came out in 2009, bid prices fell to less than half of what they were the previous year. The graph doesn't say any more than "real construction costs" so I don't know how accurate it is, I'd need to know what source they're using.

For a graph that's awful in a different way:

RAM prices are about 3x as high as they were two years ago. There is some pending legal action against the cartels amid lots and lots of rumors of price fixing - I guess we'll see where that goes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

UFO sighting in the US also tend to qualitatively correlate to whatever the US military was testing at the time - see for example all the triangles in the early 80’s, when Lockheed was testing the F-117.

Now maybe the USAF is testing poo poo that looks like existing planes... or they’re out of R&D money.

Hasn't it just been the F35 for like the last decade or so? Maybe people have just learned to recognize what it looks like and don't get excited anymore.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hasn't it just been the F35 for like the last decade or so? Maybe people have just learned to recognize what it looks like and don't get excited anymore.
It can't be that, UFOs are usually up in the sky.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Nah there's still a lot of spooky stuff flying around the southwest/midwest but it's mainly drones or prototypes for stuff like the B-21 or the alleged Project IX stealth transport/tanker.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cichlidae posted:

I imagine it varies from sub-field to sub-field. I mostly deal in roads, and when ARRA came out in 2009, bid prices fell to less than half of what they were the previous year. The graph doesn't say any more than "real construction costs" so I don't know how accurate it is, I'd need to know what source they're using.

For a graph that's awful in a different way:

RAM prices are about 3x as high as they were two years ago. There is some pending legal action against the cartels amid lots and lots of rumors of price fixing - I guess we'll see where that goes.

I thought the price hike was because of bitcoin though?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Same with a lot of other paranormal poo poo. Before the days of "literally everybody can record anything they see at a moment's notice" you could start a story with "well I was alone and..." and it was ultimately up to people if they believed you or not. There was no way to actually verify it. Now you'd get "well why didn't you record it?" If that kind of thing actually happened there'd be way more video of it. The fact that there isn't pretty strongly shows that a lot of it was bullshit.

Yeah, nowadays you just take a picture of an empty room and people will start pointing out ghosts in lens flares and dust particles for you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Furia posted:

I thought the price hike was because of bitcoin though?

AFAIK RAM prices as well as NAND prices were rising even before the Bitcoin craze, I remember that two years ago when I was buying a new computer GPUs were still reasonably priced and unaffected by mining, but manufacturers were already facing shortages of RAM and flash memory and were starting with price hikes, supposedly due to smartphone demand outstripping manufacturing growth.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Jul 2, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

AFAIK RAM prices as well as NAND prices were rising even before the Bitcoin craze, I remember that two years ago when I was buying a new computer GPUs were still reasonably priced and unaffected by mining, but manufacturers were already facing shortages of RAM and flash memory and were starting with price hikes, supposedly due to smartphone demand outstripping manufacturing growth.

Way before, correct. There’s just general shortage of the stuff and suspected cartel price fixing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

C.M. Kruger posted:

Nah there's still a lot of spooky stuff flying around the southwest/midwest but it's mainly drones or prototypes for stuff like the B-21 or the alleged Project IX stealth transport/tanker.

What if the plane wasn't flying level along the roll axis?

If it was slowly turning, with one wing lower that would explain why the exhaust appears closer together.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
There is really no point in arguing with a guy going “it’s shaped like a B2, it’s the same size and uses the same mode of propulsion. However under this angle in this blurry picture the contrail doesn’t quite line up therefore aliens.”

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
Isn't that just one of the drones that we've known about since Iran disabled one in 2011?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

One point on the back would mean it's that drone, three would be the B-2, but I can't tell in the lovely picture. The "enhanced" one is even worse.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jul 2, 2018

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

C.M. Kruger posted:

See, that to me just looks like an attempted revival of the the A-12

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was it good for you?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

First time in twenty-two years, god drat it was.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TinTower posted:

First time in twenty-two years, god drat it was.

it's hard to pick up running after a long break, good for you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/tmcgev/status/1014175738935857153

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Here cums the sun (Doo doo doo doo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU