Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The latter part is true, the former is not...at all.

If you just look at a Tiger company that has reached its position, and engaged the enemy, this would be somewhat true, albeit mostly due to its gun. Judging the Tiger by its overall quality as a tank, you need to regard, reliability, performance, mobility, cost, logistics support required and so on.
Once you do that, the Tiger turns into a bad tank. And not like "a little under 'okay'", but properly bad.

And you can rationalize that by looking simply at who had both a huge influence in its design specifications and the final word in the development process. A megalomaniac dictator with zero engineering experience, surrounded by yes-men.

Massive amounts of unangled armor that made it so heavy it was severely undermotorized. A notoriously unreliable transmission in the worst possible location on the tank that was put under a colossal amount of strain due to the Tiger being overweight. Glacial turret traverse, a decent on-paper mobility on optimal terrain that went to poo poo once endurance and range was considered, an engine prone to overheating, low obstacle clearance, a suspension with a tendency to throw tracks, maintenance-intensive tracks, etc.

The way it was deployed with respect to support numbers compacted things. A huge lack in designated tow vehicles, leading to Tigers towing each-other (which, in turn, made more Tigers break down), lack of maintenance capacity in forward deployment positions, and a lot more issues made the out-of-combat losses skyrocket.
And then you look at the cost. So. loving. Expensive.

People like to point out its ~sick~ K/D ratio (which tends to ignore out-of-combat losses, cost, pound-for-pound efficiency, etc.) and how serious the allies treated it, but if you look at the big picture, it was a genuinely bad tank. Not just inefficient, but bad.

The Panther by itself AND compared to the Tiger, agreed. Regarded as a tank by itself, and judging it by the same criteria as the Tiger, it also suffered from a lot of the issues that made the Tiger bad.
Tons of design features looked great from a point of engineering innovation, but made for a nightmare in terms of mass-production and maintenance. Similar weight issues, an engine prone to overheating, etc. pp.

Better than the Tiger overall? Absolutely. An okay tank by itself? Yeah. A good choice for the war effort? Absolutely not.

Again, the choice of killing power alone is the problem here, though the Jagdpanther, and a number of the other ones of Germany's lighter tank hunters - despite suffering similar issues as listed above - were actually pretty good both in terms of individual performance AND overall efficiency.

Yeah I can agree with this, its certainly a mixed bag.

Jagdpanther had a pretty good record for capability, but the death of a lot of German armor, especially the good ones, was using the vehicle where it was not suited. It was such a common issue that StuG companies started briefing replacement infantry troops in the field when/where to call for a StuG and where not to.

German Propoganda really muddied the water as to the capabilities of their vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought stugs had the best "KDR" of german tanks, but it was also their most produced tank as well I'm pretty sure

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Panther final drive weakness wasnt due to being a prototype: It was due to bombing wiping out the neccessary machining tools to make the proper final drive gearing.

The driveshaft was also not uncovered, so it really wasnt that bad.

The Panther, despite being a T-34 copy, was still a better tank than the Tiger.

The Panther went straight from the first prototype to the first finished tanks in 3 months without really any design changes. It was rushed into battle in an over-engineered, incomplete state with numerous design flaws that a longer development and testing period could have uncovered. And it's pretty far from a T-34 copy; the only inspiration it took was a general design inspiration and an effort to defeat T-34s. It would be like calling the AK-47 an "StG 44 copy."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://youtu.be/xbcL_kMRGv0

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

WoT, War Thunder, and wargames in general warp opinions, because all the AFVs always make it to the match in reasonably good condition. Even if you have to pay extra availability points to get those German big cats on the field, they will arrive in game just as planned. But in real life, the total lack of reliability means commanders are utterly at the mercy of mechanical reliability RNG. That doesn't enter into games, because losing a match based solely on mechanical reliability RNG is incredibly unfun. Likewise, problems with optics, spotting, and crew moral are hard to measure, and even harder to put into a game without making players hate them. It would be realistic for a green Panther crew to randomly panic after taking a few 75mm hits to the front, but it's not fun to lose a major unit to RNG.

For more modern vehicles, mine clearing vehicles like the UR-77 keep being used in urban shock assaults.

https://gfycat.com/dampdishonestgermanshepherd

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The Panther went straight from the first prototype to the first finished tanks in 3 months without really any design changes. It was rushed into battle in an over-engineered, incomplete state with numerous design flaws that a longer development and testing period could have uncovered. And it's pretty far from a T-34 copy; the only inspiration it took was a general design inspiration and an effort to defeat T-34s. It would be like calling the AK-47 an "StG 44 copy."

This is true.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

golden bubble posted:

It would be realistic for a green Panther crew to randomly panic after taking a few 75mm hits to the front, but it's not fun to lose a major unit to RNG.

Steel Division is more like this, it made me realize that basically tanks are loving pieces of poo poo.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

soy posted:

Steel Division is more like this, it made me realize that basically tanks are loving pieces of poo poo.

Also they're useless without infantry support. People have it in their minds that tanks are unstoppable metal beasts marauding across the battlefield, destroying everything in their paths. In reality it's really hard to see anything from inside, and the TC standing in the cupola is a bullet magnet. At the point of contact, without infantry around you to clear away missile teams and sappers a tank is a big, blind, lumbering gun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

soy posted:

Men of War has probably the most realistic tank combat of any game I've played. Each tank has a crew that can bail out if they get shot up and each crew member can die individually. It's hilarious to directly control one of your MGs or snipers and shoot the commander out of an enemy tanks cupola.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also they're useless without infantry support. People have it in their minds that tanks are unstoppable metal beasts marauding across the battlefield, destroying everything in their paths. In reality it's really hard to see anything from inside, and the TC standing in the cupola is a bullet magnet. At the point of contact, without infantry around you to clear away missile teams and sappers a tank is a big, blind, lumbering gun.

This, it was both the downfall of French tanks during Case Yellow and Russian AND German tanks during Case Blue.

StuG teams got so pissed about being called in to support and then find no infantry support, they handed out pamphlets and held impromptu orientation meetings for reserves coming to the front to tell them when/where a StuG is useful and when it is not.

Its not even a modern issue, German Propaganda was so effective at portraying tanks as 'invulnerable' that their own infantry bought into it and didn't support the tanks in the field properly.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Russians learned the whole "Tanks need Infantry" the hard way during the Winter War.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Russians learned the whole "Tanks need Infantry" the hard way during the Winter War.

Also: "We need a better tank" since the T-34 had just come on the scene, and most of their tanks were older model Cav and Infantry Support tanks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Red Army Solution: tank takes infantry with it. always have little buddies around that way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Red Army Solution: tank takes infantry with it. always have little buddies around that way

Yeah, this solution happened 1942(?), it was recognized that just using the T-34s for long distance travel was easier than trucks.

Its worth noting early T-34s suffered from the same sort of Transmission issues the Germans did, it was not uncommon for T-34s to have a spare transmission strapped to the engine deck.

Probably because they were using straight cut gears, and the Soviets had metallurgy issues:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Speaking of tanks, I'm trying to dig up some recent-ish footage or documentation of folks knocking out armor with fuel soaked carpet or some other similar material. I want to say this was happening when Libya started popping off, but maybe it was in Syria? The bundle would get crammed into the top rear of the track and be ignited, disabling the tank or at least forcing it to stop and the crew to bail out.

I've asked a tank smart buddy if this is even feasible and he tells me it sure is, especially if the tank has gently caress all infantry support to keep people from running up on the thing and doing whatever they please, but I can't actually find examples of this happening.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of tanks, I'm trying to dig up some recent-ish footage or documentation of folks knocking out armor with fuel soaked carpet or some other similar material. I want to say this was happening when Libya started popping off, but maybe it was in Syria? The bundle would get crammed into the top rear of the track and be ignited, disabling the tank or at least forcing it to stop and the crew to bail out.

I've asked a tank smart buddy if this is even feasible and he tells me it sure is, especially if the tank has gently caress all infantry support to keep people from running up on the thing and doing whatever they please, but I can't actually find examples of this happening.

This is a fairly old tactic, the Soviets did this with Molotovs against Tigers, dropping them on the engine deck and forcing the crew to evacuate the tank.

https://youtu.be/Gyv7VTXvAfw

Basically, its a known weakness of tanks. If they get around your sides or rear, you are probably dead. Its why tanks are terrible in urban environments.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
In Syria dudes where running up to tanks and throwing explosives down the barrel and igniting the inside. I'll try and find the video

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hot Karl Marx posted:

In Syria dudes where running up to tanks and throwing explosives down the barrel and igniting the inside. I'll try and find the video

There are multiple

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxNzZYr_1k

its at the 1 minute marker

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:stare: Wow, that flared up quick.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Wow, that flared up quick.

This is the autoloader on a T-72. It's in the turret ring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

This is the autoloader on a T-72. It's in the turret ring.

Oh look, its a campfire ready to go!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

They made thousands and thousands of T-72's, who cares about a few lost to cook offs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They made thousands and thousands of T-72's, who cares about a few lost to cook offs

Yeah, Crew survival was not a huge concern to the Soviets.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Also, for various reasons, the soviets really, really wanted their MBTs to be small. But they still need to carry the typical amounts of tank ammo, and that ammo has to go somewhere. Just look at how the T-72 is way smaller than the M1 in this picture.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Soviets were also nuts in that they air dropped light armored vehicles with the crews inside

https://warisboring.com/the-ussrs-air-dropped-fighting-vehicles-tore-through-cold-war-conflicts/

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

CommieGIR posted:

This is a fairly old tactic, the Soviets did this with Molotovs against Tigers, dropping them on the engine deck and forcing the crew to evacuate the tank.

https://youtu.be/Gyv7VTXvAfw

Basically, its a known weakness of tanks. If they get around your sides or rear, you are probably dead. Its why tanks are terrible in urban environments.

Yep, people just refuse to believe that fire is Bad for tanks for some reason.

This too. I don't know why people think tanks are some unstoppable killmachine, ever since they came about it seems if you catch one without anyone looking out for it they're loving doomed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

This too. I don't know why people think tanks are some unstoppable killmachine, ever since they came about it seems if you catch one without anyone looking out for it they're loving doomed.

Modern war videos have created the opposite bias in me in that I now think they're completely worthless deathtraps

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

Most people have no idea how anything with war works. They see a big thing with armor and a fuckoff huge gun and assume that it must be basically invincible, and the videos of the Syrian Army rolling through towns blasting buildings virtually unopposed doesn't really dispel that notion.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But tanks are unstoppable killing machines.

Until they aren't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Oh look, its a campfire ready to go!

If they just turned the rounds sideways a few degrees, the turret could go up like those lame ground bloom fireworks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

The Soviets were also nuts in that they air dropped light armored vehicles with the crews inside

https://warisboring.com/the-ussrs-air-dropped-fighting-vehicles-tore-through-cold-war-conflicts/

My old PL had a story about meeting Russian paratroopers at some event or other he did years ago and that's how he learned the Russians air-dropped their vehicles with their crews aboard.

Upon seeing the look of incredulity on his face, the two enlisted men with the Russian officer took off their berets and revealed they had identical scars on their heads from smashing into things. The Russian officer then barked a command and they mimed bracing for impact. They only had lap-belts.

The officer had a harness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

Until they aren't.

Unstoppable slag!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ded posted:

Until they aren't.

This.

When I first joined the Army, I went in with very little practical knowledge of how the the modern Army worked, and when I got assigned to AntiArmor company, I asked if we dropped in our trucks. I knew the Russians did, and I knew G.I.Joe did. Seemed reasonable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Spall liner usually goes on the inside

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Works posted:

Spall liner usually goes on the inside

That's not the spall liner, it's the ablative armor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

Right right of course

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Train the soldiers well, and it becomes reactive armor.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Germans coated their tanks with a special barium-sawdust-wood glue paste to protect against magnetic anti-tank grenades, because they were worried the Russians would use magnetic anti-tank grenades against their tanks.

The Red Army never deployed a magnetic anti-tank grenade. Neither did the British or Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Germans coated their tanks with a special barium-sawdust-wood glue paste to protect against magnetic anti-tank grenades, because they were worried the Russians would use magnetic anti-tank grenades against their tanks.

The Red Army never deployed a magnetic anti-tank grenade. Neither did the British or Americans.

How does that coating do against limpet mines?