Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Yamato, I'm looking to grab a copy of SRW V for a friend who's interested. Is anyone looking to offload their physical copy before I hit up Play-Asia again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can someone give me a brief rundown on the stories of both Z3's? Particularly who the villains are/what they're doing? I know the plot up through Saisei-hen but that's where my knowledge ends.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Verranicus posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown on the stories of both Z3's? Particularly who the villains are/what they're doing? I know the plot up through Saisei-hen but that's where my knowledge ends.

*deep breath* Several series from Z and Z2 are pulled into a combined world and have their memories messed with. The world gets locked in a prison of sorts. This is done by an angel. The ones looking over this are the Geminis. Our protagonist is Hibiki who gets a mech, Genion, that was intended for his new teacher, Suzune, and its whole gimmick is that it was designed to steal the Gemini sphere from Geminia, the mech used by Gadlight, leader of Geminis. Our heroes, Z-Blue, manage to regain their true memories and, thanks to Char faking the whole "Let's drop Axis on the Earth" they break the prison, then defeat the Geminis. That's Z3 part 1. Part 2 begins with Sidereal, an interstellar army, coming in and taking over the Earth, with Z-Blue in the resistance. We get Rand, Setsuko and Crowe back, fight Sidereal and their sphere users over and over and over and over and over again, Suzune turns evil, Genion gets another upgrade, more fighting, Suzune comes back, beat up all Sidereal and their sphere users, then the angels come in and say that everything is going to be reset because of something, beat up some weird God being thing, then all universes separate. Also, Asakim is wandering around not making sense but that's par for the course. No mention of the Taiji though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hi. I asked this in the Gundam thread and was sent to ask here. I'm planning on getting SRW V, which means making a PSN account on an Asian country (I think?) and getting codes, right? I'm not 100% sure on what the hell I'm meant to do here (in both what are the better countries and settings for an account and where to get said codes), so...umm, help/tips/whatever please.

Apparently buying physical is also an option but I genuinely distrust importing things because my country is awful, so I'd rather stick to digital. Also, is the DLC worth it?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hi. I asked this in the Gundam thread and was sent to ask here. I'm planning on getting SRW V, which means making a PSN account on an Asian country (I think?) and getting codes, right? I'm not 100% sure on what the hell I'm meant to do here (in both what are the better countries and settings for an account and where to get said codes), so...umm, help/tips/whatever please.

Apparently buying physical is also an option but I genuinely distrust importing things because my country is awful, so I'd rather stick to digital. Also, is the DLC worth it?

https://www.play-asia.com/ is my go to place for digital codes these days. Prices seem fair enough and they even go on sale every now and then. The DLC is not necessary at all unless you want to be drowning in overpowered equipment and play through funny little stories involving things like Beecha being the captain of the Argama or Ryoma coaching the EVA kids about hot blood and guts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryoga posted:

https://www.play-asia.com/ is my go to place for digital codes these days. Prices seem fair enough and they even go on sale every now and then. The DLC is not necessary at all unless you want to be drowning in overpowered equipment and play through funny little stories involving things like Beecha being the captain of the Argama or Ryoma coaching the EVA kids about hot blood and guts.

Is it worth the cash though? As far as I've heard SRW V is really easy even without paying to win, but if the maps are fun, I'm up for more.

Also, what country is best for this? Singapore? Is there any tax I need to be careful of?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Singapore worked fine for me in getting the game. I bought a Singapore PSN card off of Play-Asia for the store rates, and then created a Singapore PSN account, where I redeemed the card. I don't remember what kind of tax rates applied. DLC stages in SRW games are generally going to be filler with nice items, and you play them more for the dialogue than the actual gameplay. I haven't played the V DLC so I can't vouch for how entertaining it is.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Agreed with Signapore, it's in English. And I've played all the DLC and, apart from items, dialogue and getting some fun situations like Beecha as captain, more of the Ple sisters or all ladies (including a certain someone in the upgrade), you can skip it and lose nothing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a kind of a nice dramatic DLC mission too about a random no-name grunt pilot of an MP F91 dying in battle to save Tobia.

It's kind of touching for what it is.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I was rereading the Terada/Nasu interview, but this bit of color commentary caught my eye.

quote:

Christ, that second page was a doozy (bot).

Hokuto, how dare you.

(On a lighter note, I never thought I'd have anything in common with Nasu, but fourth DGG when Terada. Fourth DGG when.)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

I was rereading the Terada/Nasu interview, but this bit of color commentary caught my eye.

Hokuto, how dare you.

I'm glad someone finally called it out. I regret nothing!!

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
If I were to make some kinda Gundam fangame with 0079 mechs in it (but not necessarily the story), I'd probably make some kinda scenario mimicking the action-y bit of that pilot, just so that people would realize what I was referencing and have a conniption.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think Singaporean PSN is actually the only region that has the English version.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If I were to make some kinda Gundam fangame with 0079 mechs in it (but not necessarily the story), I'd probably make some kinda scenario mimicking the action-y bit of that pilot, just so that people would realize what I was referencing and have a conniption.

What you do is, at the very end of the stage, somebody says "Boy that fight was a real doozy!" "HAHAHAHAHA" and end the stage while the player's doing a double-take.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it worth the cash though? As far as I've heard SRW V is really easy even without paying to win, but if the maps are fun, I'm up for more.

Also, what country is best for this? Singapore? Is there any tax I need to be careful of?

One of the DLCs is a bunch of non-main boys being jealous of protagonist boys for being popular with girls and then getting dunked on by Gates from Full Metal Panic before being saved by said protagonist boys being good friends. Its good.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Hokuto posted:

What you do is, at the very end of the stage, somebody says "Boy that fight was a real doozy!" "HAHAHAHAHA" and end the stage while the player's doing a double-take.

Naah, that's too obvious. Honestly, the pink GM you'd get just in time for that scenario would probably be too telling.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Naah, that's too obvious. Honestly, the pink GM you'd get just in time for that scenario would probably be too telling.

Not if you set up Sayla as the Pink Comet beforehand.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
2nd OG stream going up shortly.

Edit: Stream over, who knew the Max Production Huckebein Mk. II was actually good???

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 15, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man it's been quiet on the SRW front. Except for the mobile game getting weirder and weirder collabs I guess

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe we'll get some announcement in December. IIRC both Z3 games were announced in Decembers...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have been kind of thinking about going back to Moon Dwellers (only left off at Stage 10 or so), and something about some of the "do enough damage but don't kill these grunts!" just seemed all kinds of wrong to me in an SRW game. The SR Points also seemed hella annoying to get and yeah, the translation team has definitely come a long, long way since then. That, and we are at absolute cast overload here (although, I guess that makes it easier for me to just pick people I like + the J mains).

But it still looks pretty, but those SR Points man...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I have been kind of thinking about going back to Moon Dwellers (only left off at Stage 10 or so), and something about some of the "do enough damage but don't kill these grunts!" just seemed all kinds of wrong to me in an SRW game. The SR Points also seemed hella annoying to get and yeah, the translation team has definitely come a long, long way since then. That, and we are at absolute cast overload here (although, I guess that makes it easier for me to just pick people I like + the J mains).

But it still looks pretty, but those SR Points man...

"Do enough damage without killing the enemy" has been a thing in SRW for a long time. It's like 50% of the reason the Mercy spell exists. It's basically born of the Gundam episode where Amuro has to shoot down a nuke though,

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Man it's been quiet on the SRW front. Except for the mobile game getting weirder and weirder collabs I guess

I'm positively itching for a new srw.

Just on the gundam front we have what, five series (Age, Build Fighters, Try, IBO, G-reco) that have completed without any representation in a srw? Give me my Lupus Rex and fix the plot for Age.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm legitimately kind of shocked G-Reco hasn't gotten in yet. You would think an 80's throwback show by Tomino himself with a bunch of weird robot designs would be right up the alley of the SRW people.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know SRW has a history of saving really bad shows but let's not expect them to do the impossible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

I'm legitimately kind of shocked G-Reco hasn't gotten in yet. You would think an 80's throwback show by Tomino himself with a bunch of weird robot designs would be right up the alley of the SRW people.

Yeah, I personally really want to see it done in full with all the random mooks (before getting a version with only a few characters in later games).

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raxivace posted:

V is the only game since it came out, and I think it was too recent compared to the dev cycle. Much as I dislike G-Reco, I suspect we'll see it, and probably age of BF in the next SRW.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know SRW has a history of saving really bad shows but let's not expect them to do the impossible.

Funny thing is, AGE is actually pretty easy to fix, particularly in SRW terms. Most of the dumb, dumb poo poo in AGE is either things you can skip over (beam sabers sticking into the ground for example) or things that are explicitly videogamey in nature. The Dort (is that the name, I have forgotten as much as I can of age) arc in Gen 1, for example, is five episodes of dumb filler crap, but in a videogame it actually slots in decently well.

There was an AGE videogame for the PSP that was actually pretty good (for what it was anyways), and I'm still convinced that if they'd released the game on say, PS4, without the accompanying show, it would be a well regarded Gundam game, because AGE actually does sort of work as a videogame.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wasn't talking about AGE. At least AGE has one or two good looking suits that'd be cool to see in SRW if nothing else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Reco is very good and only weirdos hate it for bad reasons.

:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sort of struggle to imagine a world where G-Reco doesn't have 'one or two' suits that would look good in SRW.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
haven't seen either yet but from what I know of them merge AGE and G-RECO imo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of struggle to imagine a world where G-Reco doesn't have 'one or two' suits that would look good in SRW.

Not even joking, a while back I just went down the wiki's list of all the suits in the show to see if there was at least one thing that looked appealing or at least serviceable.

Everything is either just so lanky, bulbous, or just weirdly twisted around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The robots are the main reason I want to see it in. Their weirdo designs have really grown on me over time.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm not super into G-Reco as an actual TV show but I think the video game format + contextualizing elements from other series would help make its story more palatable.

Like G-Reco's million different factions would be easier to make sense of for me if they're attached to already existing factions from other shows, like the Titans or ZAFT or whatever.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 16, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For poo poo I'd actually want to see in SRW though, I wonder if they could somehow throw the Sidonia and the Tsugumori/Gardes into SRW somehow.

It wouldn't be hard to have them go through a portal or something, or maybe be stumbled upon in space by an expedition or something. Fighting Gauna would suck so hard though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Not even joking, a while back I just went down the wiki's list of all the suits in the show to see if there was at least one thing that looked appealing or at least serviceable.

Everything is either just so lanky, bulbous, or just weirdly twisted around.

I don't really see the Montero, for example, fitting any of that description unless you think it applies to Gundam units as a whole.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not the biggest fan of G-reco but there's a bunch of great mech designs and a big cast of characters that would be great in a squad based SRW.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

For poo poo I'd actually want to see in SRW though, I wonder if they could somehow throw the Sidonia and the Tsugumori/Gardes into SRW somehow.

It wouldn't be hard to have them go through a portal or something, or maybe be stumbled upon in space by an expedition or something. Fighting Gauna would suck so hard though.

Didn't you have to finish off Zonders with GGG in one of the Alpha games or something like that? I assume fighting the Gauna would be similar.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AGE was in the last 3DS game and it seemed fine in it. They just started with the third generation. Also I wish they'd continue making Nintendo handheld games because that's where they had the weirdest series lists.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ethiser posted:

AGE was in the last 3DS game and it seemed fine in it. They just started with the third generation. Also I wish they'd continue making Nintendo handheld games because that's where they had the weirdest series lists.

They also did the things anyone could possibly want out of an AGE representation in SRW (besides maybe start from the first generation), since they have a combo attack between all three main pilots, a combo between Asemu and Heartman and Grandpa Flit even gets to keep his RACISM NUKE to toss at things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

"Do enough damage without killing the enemy" has been a thing in SRW for a long time. It's like 50% of the reason the Mercy spell exists. It's basically born of the Gundam episode where Amuro has to shoot down a nuke though,

I have played a fair amount of SRW over the years, and I honestly cannot remember this being nearly as prevalent as it is in Moon Dwellers, like ever. At least in some of the other titles, "Reduce unit to [x] without killing it" is reserved to boss/boss-ish units where you can kind of just ballpark big attacks and be fine due to massive HP pools. But grunt units? Nah, keep that poo poo to Kira Yamato (which is funny because the last time I remember having to use Mercy was on some SR Point back in Z1 in which Kira's assistance was greatly appreciated).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 16, 2017

• Locked thread