Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the only motorcycle content worth consuming on youtube is crash compilation videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Wangsbig posted:

the only motorcycle content worth consuming on youtube is crash compilation videos

I do think they have great educational value and like to watch them, but I dislike Moto Madness somehow having become the defacto standard. They are so cringey and are cutting out a lot of the interesting parts because monetization>content. Also gotta love people being total asshats and screaming "You are going on Moto Madness hahahaha!!!" at their victims.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Moto stars is pretty good, they are curated and make some effort to explain what went wrong.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
There's a CFMoto demo day going on near me tomorrow so I'm going to try out some sketchy motorcycles. I'm not huge on group rides but the IMS event last year got me hooked on trying new homes that I'll probably never buy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are not so bad nowadays tbh. I'd call them royal Enfield level or better at this stage.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Good I'll get my friend to buy one and I'll go ride it when I go in to visit.

Ninja edit: especially since I've talked him off the ledge of buying an RE Intercepter 650 like 3 times.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The neighborhood scooter shop that I love is moving to a larger space and becoming a Royal Enfield dealer. This is in addition to being a Genuine dealer and just generally selling bikes so he can afford to work on dumb, old scooters.

On top of that, our partner is closing his bicycle shop because he’s just done running a business of his own and has already been offered a part time mechanic gig there.

The likelihood we don’t own at least one RE and a whole cadre of weird, lovely scooters by next summer is basically zero.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Spiggy posted:

There's a CFMoto demo day going on near me tomorrow so I'm going to try out some sketchy motorcycles. I'm not huge on group rides but the IMS event last year got me hooked on trying new homes that I'll probably never buy.

I did one last year and it mostly made me appreciate my bike more. But never anything wrong with riding more bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
speaking of RE whatever happened to the dude who bought a Himalayan as a first bike, it promptly ate poo poo/grenaded itself, and it took Enfield and the dealer forever to fix or replace it? IIRC it was around the same time as Strife's accident

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Some quick notes from the CFMoto demo ride today

-the CLX is ugly as sin, the Adventura was comfy
-the brakes felt really nice, the shifting was smooth
-the throttles felt a little jerky but I'll attribute that to my daily driver being half the engine
-the engines felt fine if a little boring

I could see the Adventura being a decent choice for a cheap light tourer but I couldn't see myself buying either. I can definitely see myself becoming a latte sipping ADV dad down the line.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

speaking of RE whatever happened to the dude who bought a Himalayan as a first bike, it promptly ate poo poo/grenaded itself, and it took Enfield and the dealer forever to fix or replace it? IIRC it was around the same time as Strife's accident

You're thinking of a KTM.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
jokes aside, no I'm not - seriously wondering if he ever got it replaced or running again and I can't find the posts

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Didn't he get a dr650 or vstrom or something?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

He installed the oil filter backwards. That’s why the bike was a nightmare. Iirc the dealer just gave him a new bike and only afterwards he realized what had happened. I think his kid started having medical issues so he stopped riding.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

May be a long shot, but does anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Ninja 500R - EX500/GPZ500S bikes?

I have a 2006 with 9000 miles on it, and it has been great (I personally only put about 1 thousand miles on it) , aside from the carbs needing cleaning / syncing.

However a new problem has come up, the last 2 times I've had it out I noticed it's quite noisy (more so than the typical sewing machine noise)

First was the other day I had a good run on the highway and when slowing down on the off ramp I could hear something, hard to describe aside from a higher pitched 'whine' coming from the engine.

Since I was on a low tank of gas I thought maybe it was a vent issue or something of the sort, so I went out tonight and filled up. Drove another 5 minutes down the road to get a burger and when I stopped it was clearly evident.

The engine is ticking after warming up / running hard for a bit, I thought it was all the time, but I was able to reproduce it quite clearly even after being shut off for awhile, by tipping the bike over to the right.

If it's leaned on the kickstand or straight up nothing, but leaning to the right it's a quite loud ticking / knocking on the engine, enough that you can feel it vibrate through the engine cover.

Temps are good according to the temp gauge, oil was recently changed a few weeks ago and shows the proper level when checking the oil indicator window

My brief research on the popular EX500 forums says might be the cam chain / cam chain tensioner , I am probably just going to take it to a mechanic however I bought the bike specifically to learn on and because it's cheap, so if I can fix it myself I will

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

He installed the oil filter backwards. That’s why the bike was a nightmare. Iirc the dealer just gave him a new bike and only afterwards he realized what had happened. I think his kid started having medical issues so he stopped riding.

Lmao christ I missed that part

Blue On Blue posted:

May be a long shot, but does anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Ninja 500R - EX500/GPZ500S bikes?

I have a 2006 with 9000 miles on it, and it has been great (I personally only put about 1 thousand miles on it) , aside from the carbs needing cleaning / syncing.

However a new problem has come up, the last 2 times I've had it out I noticed it's quite noisy (more so than the typical sewing machine noise)

First was the other day I had a good run on the highway and when slowing down on the off ramp I could hear something, hard to describe aside from a higher pitched 'whine' coming from the engine.

Since I was on a low tank of gas I thought maybe it was a vent issue or something of the sort, so I went out tonight and filled up. Drove another 5 minutes down the road to get a burger and when I stopped it was clearly evident.

The engine is ticking after warming up / running hard for a bit, I thought it was all the time, but I was able to reproduce it quite clearly even after being shut off for awhile, by tipping the bike over to the right.

If it's leaned on the kickstand or straight up nothing, but leaning to the right it's a quite loud ticking / knocking on the engine, enough that you can feel it vibrate through the engine cover.

Temps are good according to the temp gauge, oil was recently changed a few weeks ago and shows the proper level when checking the oil indicator window

My brief research on the popular EX500 forums says might be the cam chain / cam chain tensioner , I am probably just going to take it to a mechanic however I bought the bike specifically to learn on and because it's cheap, so if I can fix it myself I will

If it's genuinely changing with lean angle and not an aural illusion, it's probably one of the shaft bearings on the opposite side to the way you're leaning it. A rattling noise that gets stronger instead of going away with temp is usually the cam chain being tired.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Lmao christ I missed that part

If it's genuinely changing with lean angle and not an aural illusion, it's probably one of the shaft bearings on the opposite side to the way you're leaning it. A rattling noise that gets stronger instead of going away with temp is usually the cam chain being tired.

Yep I stood there with the bike and just leaned it between my legs, and it clearly changed from running normal to rattling like a mother fucker

Let me see if I can post a short video I took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCwd4KcknWA

hard to see from my video, I was trying to get close to capture the sound of it... but I'm standing the bike and then leaning it ever so slightly to the right here

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 18, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, dumb question here. I was practicing braking in a lot and my goal was to find the limits of the front brake, and to do that, I thought I could pitch the back end up a bit, but instead of doing that, I am hitting ABS. I assume that means that if I turned off ABS, I would slide the front before the back would pitch up, and would probably drop the bike. Do I just not have enough traction? The bike came with after market dual sport tires instead of the regular road tires so not sure if that makes a difference.

Tires in question:

Also lol so unreliable ktm.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 18, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, you would do a stoppie. Abs prevents both locks and stoppies.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

No, you would do a stoppie. Abs prevents both locks and stoppies.
Okay, thank you, I wanted to make sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a bike like that on clean pavement the front tire load increases so much when you're braking hard and upright that it's basically impossible to lock, you'll always do a stoppie first. Highly recommend pulling the fuse and having a go at locking the rear up, you'll be surprised how easily it happens.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

On a bike like that on clean pavement the front tire load increases so much when you're braking hard and upright that it's basically impossible to lock, you'll always do a stoppie first. Highly recommend pulling the fuse and having a go at locking the rear up, you'll be surprised how easily it happens.
Yeah, hitting ABS on the rear is super easy, and I can actually turn ABS off before I start it, so I am going to give the front another go and then try and slide the rear which like you said seems easy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Highly recommend pulling the fuse and having a go at locking the rear up, you'll be surprised how easily it happens.

Ducati owners: :smith:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, I went out again with ABS off and yeah, sliding the year takes no effort, and is pretty safe, I wasn't off balance and I can slide a long way easily. The front stoppie is a lot harder but I was able to get a foot or so off the ground. I did slide the front wheel though, and at times it was stopping me from that rear tire going off the ground, so not sure if it's the lot I am using, it was pretty out of repair and had some rocks, but I had a pretty clean area to work in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you apply the front gradually you pretty much can't lock, if you smash it on like a toddler you will definitely lock because the fork and tyre haven't had a chance to load up properly.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough, I don't think I mashed it, but I very well could have, I have been practicing braking a lot, but I guess trying to get the tire up I may have used more brake initially than I should have. Anyway, thanks for the help, it was fun regardless.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try to make sure you're supporting your weight with your legs and core, not pushing into the bars at all. You can definitely lock if you do an unintended steering motion while braking that hard . The only other scenario is you're wildly underweight for the spring rate in that fork which is... unlikely. This is all assuming clean dry pavement and good tyre pressure.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I think the weight is fine, and I was able to get the back up a few times, but a few times I slid the front tire, so it's definitely technique. I think I am pushing in to the bars, it's a habit I keep trying to break, so a mix of things I need to work on for sure.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the place that offers the msf course near me also has a more advanced class for after you have the L license. the takeaway mostly came down to trail braking 101. trail braking never made a ton of sense to me when reading about it, plus it's been hard to find good places to practice such a thing safely. it was really good to get some in-person instruction

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Yep I stood there with the bike and just leaned it between my legs, and it clearly changed from running normal to rattling like a mother fucker

Let me see if I can post a short video I took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCwd4KcknWA

hard to see from my video, I was trying to get close to capture the sound of it... but I'm standing the bike and then leaning it ever so slightly to the right here

I found another video online showing the exact same issue and noise, and it was discovered to be the bolt(s) backing themselves out of the starter clutch assembly and catching on the flywheel (or chain?) (not sure I have that in the right order but should be the gist of it)

so tomorrow me and my friend are going to pull off the stator cover and see what's going on in there, apparently this bike it's quite common for these bolts to back off the starter clutch and get caught up in the chain... would explain the noise

i'll take some pictures

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

I found another video online showing the exact same issue and noise, and it was discovered to be the bolt(s) backing themselves out of the starter clutch assembly and catching on the flywheel (or chain?) (not sure I have that in the right order but should be the gist of it)

so tomorrow me and my friend are going to pull off the stator cover and see what's going on in there, apparently this bike it's quite common for these bolts to back off the starter clutch and get caught up in the chain... would explain the noise

i'll take some pictures

my friend and i took it apart tonight and indeed, one of the bolts from the starter clutch had backed itself off and was dragging on the sprocket behind it.

i could tell as soon as the flywheel was off, the front of the bolt had been worn down so you could only see just the very top of where the head used to be

i forgot to take pictures, but it was basically just like this one from another person with the same issue

i think i got lucky in that it was only 1 bolt, and didn't appear to be dragging for too long as there wasn't much metal shavings in the housing, and the sprocket looked relatively OK

we cleaned everything and put it back together with some locktite, new gasket and now im waiting 24 hours before we go for a ride tomorrow to test it out

only thing that took awhile was i didnt have the right size thread chaser to remove the flywheel, so had to run to a parts store and grab the next size up

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ :aaa:

Stupid question time! A few days ago I pull my bike out and fire it up aaaand it doesn't fire up. The started is spinning but it doesn't want to burst into life unless I hold the throttle open a little. What is this a symptom of? If I hold the throttle open a tad it'll fire up every time and runs absolutely fine otherwise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ :aaa:

Stupid question time! A few days ago I pull my bike out and fire it up aaaand it doesn't fire up. The started is spinning but it doesn't want to burst into life unless I hold the throttle open a little. What is this a symptom of? If I hold the throttle open a tad it'll fire up every time and runs absolutely fine otherwise.

I'm going to assume you own a 1947 Harley WLA with an optional electric start. The first thing is to make sure your timing advance is set to maximum retard and you've primed the carb. If you still have no luck and you've got a strong spark in the magneto, I'd suggest checking the valve clearances. Not a great learner bike btw, especially if you've got the side car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to assume you own a 1947 Harley WLA with an optional electric start. The first thing is to make sure your timing advance is set to maximum retard and you've primed the carb. If you still have no luck and you've got a strong spark in the magneto, I'd suggest checking the valve clearances. Not a great learner bike btw, especially if you've got the side car.

I had to image search that bike and I can tell you I don't own anything that cool. I own a cheap Benelli 125 which while being a great little noob bike, was built to a price point that is a lot lower than something used daily probably should be. I'm going to run it through winter and get the full license and a bigger bike sometime in spring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's more a joke that without stating what you've got in your OP it's basically impossible to help you :)

Being that it's a Chinese 125 with efi you have pretty limited options, I'd suggest looking to see if it has an idle speed adjuster and just cranking that up a little until it can idle on it's own. Does it do this full-time or only when it's cold? Does it idle normally after it's been running for a while? You can also try having a look at the spark plug in case it's really worn or fouled.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

maximum retard lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

maximum retard lol

Don't tag yourself

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Don't tag yourself

:greenangel:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Slavvy posted:

It's more a joke that without stating what you've got in your OP it's basically impossible to help you :)

Being that it's a Chinese 125 with efi you have pretty limited options, I'd suggest looking to see if it has an idle speed adjuster and just cranking that up a little until it can idle on it's own. Does it do this full-time or only when it's cold? Does it idle normally after it's been running for a while? You can also try having a look at the spark plug in case it's really worn or fouled.

Ah, apologies :buddy:

I'll see what it does when it's hot if anything. I replaced the two spark plugs a month ago and on pulling them last week to casually check them they were as new. Idles normally, once it has started it seems quite happy. I'll consult the manual and see if there are any adjustments.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
alright. got my bike, got my license, should have all the gear basics by the end of the week. next thing is insurance.

my car insurance is with AAA, and apparently they don't directly offer moto insurance. my agent said he resells progressive for that, but his quote was 3x what i am paying for my car, for 1/3 the planned miles. since that's liability only, he said it's about the same for any bike, so its not like my lil honda got mis-categorized or something.

bay area goons, any recommendations before i just shotgun out my info to every company and get put on every single spam list forever?