Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Marx Headroom posted:

I don't think they ran out of space for samples? The max GBA rom size is 32MB but HoD is like 5MB. When Iga said he regretted overinvesting in graphics I have to assume he
was talking about CPU cycles or something.

Also it was apparently very common for GBA games to dip into the GBC sound channels, only later games used exclusively higher quality PCM samples. The HoD team just really hosed up the mix somehow.

Someone did a "music overhaul" here:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5483/
But it sounds like they mostly just put a different soundfont over everything and called it a day and somehow introduced a few gamebreaking bugs in the process. But remixing is possible!! I'd really like to take on that project but it seems like a *lot* to learn.

Interesting that they replaced the one song that actually has good sound quality with a worse version
https://youtu.be/AZZ2_Ht4tYo?t=8 vs how it should sound. The violin is also looping over itself and sounds more grating than the original @5:20, ouch.

I'd love to hear what instruments the composer intended to use, if there even were any. It's a very harsh sounding OST in a good way imo. I just have no idea if that beep boop is supposed to be a guitar or an organ or strings, but those drums are rocking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I read in an interview once since it was IGA and his team's first CV game on gba (Circle was done by somebody else), they legitimately did not know how powerful the gba soundchip could be and that's why the music sucks

this may in fact be a dream fabrication instead of a real thing I read in an interview, so don't mind it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The weird thing about AoS is that (assuming this is accurate) it uses the same MP2k music driver as HoD, and CotM uses a slightly different version, all seemingly branched off the standard version used by most GBA games. And AoS sounds fantastic so idk wtf they were doing over there in the HoD studio!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

iirc they had a better balance with making the graphics bright enough for AoS without cutting into the sound. I believe that's why Soma is all in white and is exploring a castle that's mostly lit by a giant glowing moon. it's a more muted palette than HoD but is still bright.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are a lot of other GBA games with similarly minimalist/low-spec soundtracks that sound much better than Harmony - the first F-Zero GBA game and the Gradius GBA game are two examples that spring to mind.

Harmony's music really didn't work under those constraints but it's not like people would like a lot of it even with better production, either.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've been working my way through Circle's alternate modes, and honestly they're more fun than I thought they would be.

Magician's fun is obvious.

Fighter is basically brain dead easy mode, you have so much HP, defense, and attack that you can face tank practically the entire game. The only boss who even got me below half health was final Dracula, mostly due to not having a great way to get past his cloud of bats in the last phase without DSS.

Shooter was really interesting, and made me really appreciate the subweapons in his game. I'm pretty sure Circle has the best all-around Holy Water, and the Cross was doing such disgusting damage by the endgame that I could do Battle Arena just by spamming it. No grinding required. The magic dagger was cool at first, but it kind of fell off in the endgame. It really just made me wish that other subweapons had an upgraded version. Like if you pick up another axe, you start throwing Giant Axes, which do more damage but don't travel as far, and you can only have one onscreen at a time.

I'm on Thief now, and it might be my favorite. Having such unbelievably meager stats means you have to rely on whatever you can find, but fortunately your luck ensures you find a lot. I'm familiarizing myself with all sorts of stuff I totally overlooked or ignored on my other run out of sheer necessity of trying to find effective tools. I'm loving the stretchy whip. The Mars weapons are great for swatting annoying airborne enemies.

I'm getting more drops than I know what to do with, though it would be nice if more of those drops were consumables instead of the fiftieth copy of an armor that got outclassed ten levels ago.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2023

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Did you know that in Aria of Sorrow, equipping both the Blue Crow and Red Crow souls allows you to shoot out crows in bat form?

No, of course you didn't. Why would anyone know that? Why would that be a mechanic? It makes no drat sense. It's so obscure that there is no way any normal person would find it.

It's true though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Spergatory posted:

Did you know that in Aria of Sorrow, equipping both the Blue Crow and Red Crow souls allows you to shoot out crows in bat form?

No, of course you didn't. Why would anyone know that? Why would that be a mechanic? It makes no drat sense. It's so obscure that there is no way any normal person would find it.

It's true though.

I knew that because I played the game

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Spergatory posted:

It's true though.

there are a few weird combos like that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Golux posted:

there are a few weird combos like that

What other ones are there?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
In Dawn Of Sorrow, equipping Alamaric Sniper and Skeleton Archer will make the Alamaric Sniper provide cover fire for you while you charge your Skeleton Archer shot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

What other ones are there?
The True Ending combo of Flame Demon, Giant Bat, Succubus allows the bat form to shoot fireballs. Interestingly, you need the Succubus soul as well, it can't just be Flame Demon/Giant Bat.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Captain France posted:

In Dawn Of Sorrow, equipping Alamaric Sniper and Skeleton Archer will make the Alamaric Sniper provide cover fire for you while you charge your Skeleton Archer shot.

This is one of the few combos I did know about. Mostly because both of the souls rocked anyways.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Whoever recommended I play Dawn with the No Touch Screen patch was 100% correct, so thanks for that. Do I need to take similar measures for Portrait and Order?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Neither needs any such changes and I don't think they even exist.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spergatory posted:

Whoever recommended I play Dawn with the No Touch Screen patch was 100% correct, so thanks for that. Do I need to take similar measures for Portrait and Order?
There's no sigil drawing in either of the other two AFAIK, touch controls are relegated to alternate game modes, so the main plot won't require a romhack like Dawn does. I don't even know if there are romhacks to remove the touch controls in the later DS games, they're so integral to their game modes and the one in Dawn is (AFAIK) just applying the code from Julius mode (where he doesn't have to draw sigils) to the main game.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

AMA - I almost did a whole playthrough using the mouse to draw sigils until I found a rom patch.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

luchadornado posted:

AMA - I almost did a whole playthrough using the mouse to draw sigils until I found a rom patch.

Question: What the heck?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I bought Blasphemous yesterday because it was on sale and didn't know that Miriam was in it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Altared State posted:

I bought Blasphemous yesterday because it was on sale and didn't know that Miriam was in it

How is it? It's been on my wishlist for a bit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

A lot harder than Bloodstained. More like Hollow Knight, from what I've played of it.

Aesthetically it's metal and Catholic as gently caress.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Medullah posted:

That isn't how crucifixions work! 4/10

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Medullah posted:

Blasphemous is really excellent. It is super hard - way harder than Bloodstained - but very rewarding. I played it all last year near the start of the year after finishing Metroid Dread and was pretty unprepared for how tough it was coming off of that. The controls are so tight and the aesthetic is really, really heavy with gorgeously detailed pixel art.

If you play I recommend using the Spanish audio to really enhance the mood and atmosphere.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I wouldn't really compare Blasphemous to Bloodstained at all except for some specific mechanics, it's more in line with the 2d soulsvania genre that has developed. It's a very good game, but requires a bit of practice to beat bosses usually.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Medullah posted:

It's a metroidvania with amazing visuals/music/aesthetic but combat and movement have some dark souls clunk to it (including estus flasks). I recommend the game but you never get to fly around the map and style on everyone like in Bloodstained and there are some pretty punishing platforming bits. The bosses are very cool but can take a few attempts.

There's a lot to like about the game it does a lot of really cool unique stuff visually. But if I'm being truthful I probably enjoyed playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse more.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 8, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

VideoGames posted:

If you play I recommend using the Spanish audio to really enhance the mood and atmosphere.

Seconded it's extremely good. I need to take another pass, that game sent me packing last time I tried it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Blasphemous was really hard at the beginning but I feel like the difficulty does level out a little bit once you've gotten some upgrades. It never gets easy per se, but it isn't always as hard as the first couple of hours might lead you to believe.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Blasphemous would be worth playing for the art and music alone. The style and atmosphere it creates are genuinely like nothing else I've played. Fortunately, there's also a pretty good game attached to the stylistic stuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only really big criticism of Blasphemous is the abundance of one hit kill spike floors

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A lot of the rough edges in blasphemous have been worked out after several updates, definitely give it a shot if you like Castlevania.

The sprite work itself is so insanely metal and leagues above anything that we've seen in Castlevania. Backgrounds, enemies, giant bosses, everything is designed in animated with excruciating detail and steeped in that gorgeous Spanish/ Catholic imagery combined with dark and macabre. Gameplay is a little stiffer, but it's still incredibly similar in my opinion. You just don't get a whole lot of dashing or speed options

Blasphemous is easily the best looking 2D game I have ever had the joy of playing

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i also played blasphemous in spanish, it's cool. i like how it has a "pixel art" style but it's still different from other games like that, there's something that reminds me of european cartoons, a lot of flat colored surfaces and grotesque faces

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah it's like pixelated oil paintings especially some of those backgrounds

That one skeleton boss that cackles, breathers fire, n is being held up by hands was probably my favorite in terms of design and animation. But I cannot stress enough how sick the bosses are

The closest Castlevania gets to anything anywhere near this interesting or macabre is the first time you see legion.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Medullah posted:

Some of its been good but it has some bugs and the controls have made it more difficult than it needs to be. Good thing it was only $6.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It is gorgeous, intentional, and has incredible aesthetic and atmosphere. It didn't feel too terribly Metroid-vania to me iirc, but I could be misremembering. You upgrade your sword moves, you find relics that give you different perks sort of like the Hollow Knight badges. Combat and movement are extremely deliberate, requiring forethought and commitment to the action you're choosing. I was really enjoying it, but hit a wall where I simply could not beat some... angel or saint or something, I don't remember, on a bridge. I think I tried like twenty times and just couldn't do it, realized I was no longer having fun, and packed it in. I should try it out again someday, maybe I've gittened gudder (unlikely).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SlimGoodbody posted:

It is gorgeous, intentional, and has incredible aesthetic and atmosphere. It didn't feel too terribly Metroid-vania to me iirc, but I could be misremembering. You upgrade your sword moves, you find relics that give you different perks sort of like the Hollow Knight badges. Combat and movement are extremely deliberate, requiring forethought and commitment to the action you're choosing. I was really enjoying it, but hit a wall where I simply could not beat some... angel or saint or something, I don't remember, on a bridge. I think I tried like twenty times and just couldn't do it, realized I was no longer having fun, and packed it in. I should try it out again someday, maybe I've gittened gudder (unlikely).
Lol you're about one third of the way through. That is the hardest fight though no doubt, or at least was at launch when I played it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I just remembered they're already working on Blasphemous 2 and am now in an extremely good mood

A good day for gamers everywhere

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Played blasphemous again not too long ago and it feels better to play now. Like they filed some of the rougher edges.

And since they're fully done building it out now is the time to give it a whirl if you're interested.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Everything everyone is saying about Blasphemous is true, but it is worth noting that some of the platforming gets very hard, and you get almost no mobility upgrades. Like, IIRC there isn't even a double jump.

Still a very good game. But also very frustrating in places.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wanted to like Blasphemous, but the difficulty was more than I want from games the days. Nothing seemed unbeatable, but it was hard enough that I didn’t want to put in the time to learn how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Captain France posted:

Everything everyone is saying about Blasphemous is true, but it is worth noting that some of the platforming gets very hard, and you get almost no mobility upgrades.

In a touch of poetic irony for this thread, the hardest platforming is locked away in the Bloodstained sections, which are totally optional, so you don't have to engage with them if you don't feel like it.

There are other fairly tough segments, but nothing too horrendous, and the devs have actually made many of them WAY more forgiving than they were at launch. Like, to the point of adding single-use safety platforms above some instant death spikes so you can make one mistake per pitfall and still make it through.