Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The only time i hated shrine was when i was punching my way through it because I'd restricted myself to fists only, no bows or other ranged weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Akuma posted:

Yeah if you think it's a problem that can be solved by "moving thoughtfully" your memory is mistaken.

Its a problem that can be solved by "moving thoughtfully"

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Control Volume posted:

Its a problem that can be solved by "moving thoughtfully"
In the way that all of every game can be solved by "moving thoughtfully" sure

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Akuma posted:

In the way that all of every game can be solved by "moving thoughtfully" sure

So how about you start doing it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cleaned out drangleic castle with relative ease. Honestly thought I was ready to go open the door and face the last boss. Forgot all about LGK and then amana, the latter of which ruining the zeal I had for progress today. Time to shoot things in another game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

My hatred for Shrine has nothing to do with the mages, and everything to do with the clerics who unlike you can haul rear end straight through the water and kill you in one combo. And you're probably just outright hosed if you aggro more than one.
If you don't roll out of the combo, sure. But you can preemptively attack and stun them like any other melee enemy as they draw in, if it wasn't for mages backing them up they're not very dangerous.

Akuma posted:

Yeah if you think it's a problem that can be solved by "moving thoughtfully" your memory is mistaken. It deliberately puts you in situations where you can't just be slow and methodical.
I didn't say move slowly, I said move thoughtfully. And it's not like I haven't played ds2 recently, every time I do it Amana is one of my favorite areas.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Congrats, you two have cracked it; it's not hard at all, you just need to play well. No poo poo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Akuma posted:

Congrats, you two have cracked it; it's not hard at all, you just need to play well. No poo poo.

So how about you start doing it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Akuma posted:

so what exactly are you disagreeing about here

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Personally I just want to know if thoughtful movement is a trivially obvious solution or the product of my deeply addled memory

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Id say the boss run up to smelter demon in sotfs was worse than anything in Amana. Though Id say amana kinda drags on a little too long.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dyz posted:

Id say the boss run up to smelter demon in sotfs was worse than anything in Amana. Though Id say amana kinda drags on a little too long.

Scrub. That one wasnt that bad ei[interrupted by a nearly instant katana attack then shot into lava]

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that runup is miles worse, no question. Particularly at the end when you have the two captain guys on either end of that walkway.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The trick for the Smelter run is to only lower the near end of the bridge. The Alonne Knights on the far side won't aggro properly so you can just drop down from the raised edge and dash a few feet into the Smelter Fog-wall.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The only time i hated shrine was when i was punching my way through it because I'd restricted myself to fists only, no bows or other ranged weapons

Guess which restriction I ran under in both of my DS2 runs? :v: (Well, not fists only on the first one, but still.)

IronicDongz posted:

If you don't roll out of the combo, sure. But you can preemptively attack and stun them like any other melee enemy as they draw in, if it wasn't for mages backing them up they're not very dangerous.

"Just dodge" is not a simple solution between the water slowing you down and their higher than average range. And as I said, you're likely to aggro two and they're gonna be off-sync from each other which makes the timing even more brutal. No poo poo in a fair 1v1 the clerics are chumps but the entire area is designed to prevent you from having a fair 1v1.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 19, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Those clerics are the trickiest part of the area for sure, but they have a long enough aggro range that you generally can fight them on raised ground. For the second area I like to head back to the bridge/walkway thing immediately before, since the pillars block a vast majority of the mage shots and you can funnel them into a chokepoint

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The clerics have extremely strong hyper armor on many of their attacks, even the more innocuous looking ones. That's what tends to trip me up a lot as between two of them, one of them will always be unstunnable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/OPDUe2K.mp4

:negative:

I entered Undead Crypt after clearing out Amana finally, and saw a message telling me torch required ahead (I'm still foggy on certain parts of the game). You know what happened next

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

codo27 posted:

I entered Undead Crypt after clearing out Amana finally, and saw a message telling me torch required ahead (I'm still foggy on certain parts of the game). You know what happened next

Lol get ready for the only place in SOTFS where nearly every aspect is a hostile element

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

If you wanna see hostile, try Dragon Shrine while forgetting to take off Moon Butterfly gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTr2-teCIg

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm now up to Aldia's in vanilla. Boy, they really did just put seven Syan Knights in front of Velstadt, huh.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I keep meaning to curse on how long it takes these games to load, especially when you're quitting out to main menu. But I was just game streaming to the living room from my PC and somehow the time waiting for the online update checks and stuff was cut down to reasonable levels. hosed up

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I understand DS2 doesn't have an offline mode and recently played through DS1 and 3 offline - how much am I going to struggle with this game? I don't really enjoy PvP when I'm just trying to get through an area.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kynikos posted:

I understand DS2 doesn't have an offline mode and recently played through DS1 and 3 offline - how much am I going to struggle with this game? I don't really enjoy PvP when I'm just trying to get through an area.

There technically is an offline mode, though it requires burning a relatively limited early resource (Human Effigies) at a bonfire to activate it. With that being said, I have close to 300 hours combined between base DS2 and SotFS, and I could count the number of times I was invaded on one hand. You can always Alt + F4 if you run into an invader and don't feel like trying your luck.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

kynikos posted:

I don't think I've been invaded once playing DS2.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

You can also play offline by you know, not being online.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

When you say "offline mode" do you mean literally playing offline or just playing without being human/embered?

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
By selecting start game offline, or however it's worded, in settings for either game. I know I can literally just unplug my PS4's ethernet cable but not sure if the game would still work that way.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

kynikos posted:

By selecting start game offline, or however it's worded, in settings for either game. I know I can literally just unplug my PS4's ethernet cable but not sure if the game would still work that way.

It does, though you can just turn off the internet connection in the PS4's settings without having to physically unplug it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I miss the times when you had to expect an invasion at any moment.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cleared our Vendrick and Nashandra the other night, which just leaves the DLC and while making a conscious effort to stay human for a lot of my playthrough, I've only been invaded a small handful of times. And I kinda wish it was more seeing I've gotten so good at parrying

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I don't remember ever finding Amana any more or less arduous than any other particular area in either version of DS2. Put a wall between you and the guys shooting projectiles at you, lead the clerics away to fight somewhere where you aren't getting shot at. There's like.. a lot of walls to stand behind.

I feel like a lot of people play DS2 largely always trying to engage mobs close to their start point, which is often a recipe for getting 8 shivs up the arse, and luring them to somewhere with better footing and not a bunch of their mates just works better. Crowd control's a big part of 2, too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Two things they gotta go back and patch into 1 & 2, holding down to revert back to the estus flask in your belt, and the Hey! emote

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

codo27 posted:

Two things they gotta go back and patch into 1 & 2, holding down to revert back to the estus flask in your belt, and the Hey! emote

love to learn this handy trick today, now, exactly one week after finishing my dark souls 3 run

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I found it such a god drat bitch on this run, just not wanting to gently caress with any other consumable because it takes like 9 button presses to get back to the estus. Dumb

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

There's actually a handful of offline-only box invasions in ds2

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There are a lot more unavoidable NPC invasions on DS2 than in 1 or 3, if that was the complaint.

You can’t avoid the Forlorn by going hollow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Raylax posted:

I don't remember ever finding Amana any more or less arduous than any other particular area in either version of DS2. Put a wall between you and the guys shooting projectiles at you, lead the clerics away to fight somewhere where you aren't getting shot at. There's like.. a lot of walls to stand behind.

I feel like a lot of people play DS2 largely always trying to engage mobs close to their start point, which is often a recipe for getting 8 shivs up the arse, and luring them to somewhere with better footing and not a bunch of their mates just works better. Crowd control's a big part of 2, too.

My particular playstyle relies a lot on "soft" pulling - just using regular enemy aggro to draw them into a favorable engagement - and it works perfectly fine most of the time. But suffice to say I do not care for the parts of 2 where you basically have no choice but to slow way down and gradually draw out enemies and/or lose a bunch of ground because they awkwardly clustered multiple together in a way that can't really be "solved".

In DS1, realizing that at some point you're gonna have to run across the bridge being firebombed even though you know there's hollows immediately on the other side ready to ambush you is a rite of passage and I think is meant to teach you to try to stay on the aggressive. Meanwhile, it feels like there's a number of spots in 2 where if you try to be aggressive in the same way suddenly like six enemies speed in from nowhere and immediately punish you for it. It's not always a super noticeable thing but I think it's what bugs me about 2's design and probably feeds the (otherwise kinda inaccurate) "they just copy and pasted enemies everywhere" complaints.

(The clown car door in the Bastille is still funny tho.)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I have vanilla DS2. If I get the DLC, does that change up all the enemy placement everywhere like the scholarship edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
No