Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

^^ I've never seen LED control in GFE.

GFE 2.x had LED control but they removed it from 3.x for whatever reason. They put out a standalone LED controller to substitute but I have no idea if it works on the RTX cards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4248/~/led-visualizer-missing-in-geforce-experience-3.0

VelociBacon posted:

What is 1809 supposed to bring?

The new DX12 runtime that supports DXR/RTX raytracing.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VelociBacon posted:

DirectX Raytracing. The October Win10 update has the DirectX pieces needed for RTX. Unfortunately for early adopters, the update has been a rolling disaster, and developers aren't releasing their RTX patches until Microsoft gets its poo poo together and pushes the final version out to everyone to avoid 10 trillion negative Steam reviews saying "WINDOWS SAYS I HAVE NO UPDATES AND RTX DOESNT WORK GAME IS A SCAM!!!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Glad for the explanation on BF1 CPU use a few pages ago. I had wondering why FPS was bouncing between 20-40 with a 1080 and now I know my poor 4590 and DDR3 ram just can’t hack it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

VelociBacon posted:

Automatic, randomized file deletion :haw:

In all seriousness, my machine has had this update since it was first pushed in early October and the follow-up 17763.55 patch and I haven't had any terrible issues (though it did cause my Windows Update Assistant to reset, which pushed some bad network drivers that cause my motherboard's LAN to break, but I was able to fix it without much trouble).

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Oooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4g5CZCaWXo

GamersNexus on failing cards, just started it but the title is

"Solved: Widespread 20-Series BSOD Issue Likely Monitor Dependent, Pt 1"

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Glad for the explanation on BF1 CPU use a few pages ago. I had wondering why FPS was bouncing between 20-40 with a 1080 and now I know my poor 4590 and DDR3 ram just can’t hack it.

I recently upgraded from a RX480 to a Vega 56 and found that my FPS has started remaining at or above 60fps pretty consistently, at 1440p with all settings maxed bar post processing or lighting. Re-thermal pasting my CPU recently helped things as well.
DX12 mode even almost works properly now :shrug: , it still has a small bit of stutter every so often and is particularly bad around firefights which as you can imagine isn't really workable. When its not stuttering, drat it looks nice and plays smoothly though.

Still might be approaching CPU/RAM limits though, every now and again it stutters/fps drops with a corresponding spike in CPU in the ingame performance graphs.It could just be background Windows processes doing stuff and causing CPU spikes though.

I'm running a 4670 and 1333Hz DDR3 RAM and if BFV ends up being too demanding I'll look at a 2600x + DDR4 3200 overclocking build, i've never done any real overclocking and am interested. If its playable, i'll hold until the next Zen generation though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The new GeForce driver is supposed to fix Turing's multi-monitor power draw. We'll see.

https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-416-81-whql

e: fresh measurements from tpu

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 8, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
And what about Pascal's multi-monitor power draw issue, NVidia!? :mad:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My multi-monitor idle clocks were not fixed with these drivers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wooper posted:

My multi-monitor idle clocks were not fixed with these drivers.

On Pascal or on Turing?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Maxwell

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

After the update on a 2080ti with multi monitor it's still idling at the same clock (1335 MHz) and using the same amount of power, 20%.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I think my 2080ti FE just died :shepface:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Scionix posted:

I think my 2080ti FE just died :shepface:

if it BSOD then it's supposed to be fixed by a new driver coming this week

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

1gnoirents posted:

if it BSOD then it's supposed to be fixed by a new driver coming this week

it crashed, computer turned off, now getting no signal from the monitor except for like 0.5seconds on POST, then it loses signal again. I've tried 2 monitors.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Scionix posted:

it crashed, computer turned off, now getting no signal from the monitor except for like 0.5seconds on POST, then it loses signal again. I've tried 2 monitors.

stop scaring me bro :(. What PSU do you have? Do you have integrated graphics to run DDU and basic troubleshooting? I only ask about PSU because I detonated a 500 watt PSU with my 2080ti

edit: Oh wow, EA is letting some [suckers who pay them a monthly fee] play BF5 right now, which means actual RTX reviews can occur right now. get hype :( ?

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 8, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

edit: Oh wow, EA is letting some [suckers who pay them a monthly fee] play BF5 right now, which means actual RTX reviews can occur right now. get hype :( ?

Nope, the RTX features aren't enabled yet. It's supposed to be patched in some time around BF5s actual launch.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Scionix posted:

Jesus wants your dead 2080ti. On loan, that is. He probably won't raise it from the dead though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

repiv posted:

Nope, the RTX features aren't enabled yet. It's supposed to be patched in some time around BF5s actual launch.

3peat
May 6, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

I'm one of those suckers (tho I paid a 25 euro yearly fee) and the store page tells me I can play it in 18 hours, but it's letting me download the client
I guess I'll see if I can play it in 10 minutes when it finishes downloading

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

3peat posted:

I'm one of those suckers (tho I paid a 25 euro yearly fee) and the store page tells me I can play it in 18 hours, but it's letting me download the client
I guess I'll see if I can play it in 10 minutes when it finishes downloading

You can apparently, though it might be an accident? I dunno something weird is going on but now I know RTX doesnt work im just butthurt again

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I wouldn't be surprised if no RTX features till 2019 at this point.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
ok everyone relax false alarm

somehow my pump on my g12 decided it didn't want to turn on even though it was connected so every time I tried to reboot after the crash the card was like "naw I'm too hot dog"

wasn't scared, etc

3peat
May 6, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

You can apparently, though it might be an accident? I dunno something weird is going on but now I know RTX doesnt work im just butthurt again

Yea it's playable, I just finished playing the stupid intro sequence and now I'm going to sleep cause it's already past midnight here
For some reason vsync is turned on and I can't turn it off?? (it's greyed out for me) so i guess my trip report is that I'm getting 60fps on 1080p on a 1080ti and a ryzen 1600 at max settings

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Scionix posted:

ok everyone relax false alarm

somehow my pump on my g12 decided it didn't want to turn on even though it was connected so every time I tried to reboot after the crash the card was like "naw I'm too hot dog"

wasn't scared, etc

nurr

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

3peat posted:

Yea it's playable, I just finished playing the stupid intro sequence and now I'm going to sleep cause it's already past midnight here
For some reason vsync is turned on and I can't turn it off?? (it's greyed out for me) so i guess my trip report is that I'm getting 60fps on 1080p on a 1080ti and a ryzen 1600 at max settings

dice exec: "a victory!"

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
battlefield's dynamic shadows are usually real loving good anyway, is the RTX noticeable, especially at 1080p?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Scionix posted:

battlefield's dynamic shadows are usually real loving good anyway, is the RTX noticeable, especially at 1080p?

Should be certainly based on how raytracing works conceptually. It will more or less be a million subtle things with the real standouts being things we've grown accustomed to not be there in video games. How its actually implemented is another story. If you dont care much for maxxx details or immersion (and to be fair this is a lot of people) then you probably wont care about raytracing effects all that much particularly in a multiplayer fps. When 8 friendlies are crossing the street and an explosion lights up next to them and you see the reflection of them on all the windows around you or maybe when youre around the corner there is a car at the intersection reflecting the explosion's light down the alleyway, you know your mind might be on other things. But that's the sort of kind of thing I'm expecting to be noticeable. I dont think resolution is going to matter much, if anything it might be better at 1080p. If raytracing takes off, which frankly its going to whether or not its led by nvidia or not, it will definitely shine the most in story style games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scionix posted:

Battlefield isn't doing raytraced shadows, they're adding the option to replace screen-space/cubemap reflections with raytraced reflections that are fully dynamic and accurate on all surfaces.

Hopefully they've added an option to render the reflections at half resolution, the RTX preview builds did it at full-res which is really overkill.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Scionix posted:

The footage they released last August from the RTX reveal was pretty striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn1ixu99Rqw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone heard about the Wal-Mart prefab PCs they were selling with i7s and 1080tis? I'm assuming the power supply will probably be junk but assuming you installed your own that sounds like a pretty good deal?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

They looked surprisingly decent, but I don't know anyone that's actually laid hands on one yet.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm always scared of cheap motherboards. I thought of buying a Dell or something rather than making my roommate build a PC for me once I became disabled but the motherboards scared me off. The case and fans will also be really low end, running louder than it has to.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've gotten the ability to grab a new graphics card soon, I know this is a preposterously stupid question but am I right in just going for a 2080 over a 1080? I'm running a GTX970 at the moment so either would be an improvement, but I'm not intending for 4k gaming so I don't want to shell out for something that would be overkill. Since I'm in the UK can someone link me a decent one (Whatever you'd reccomend) on Amazon? Since graphics cards have been out of my price range for a while I just haven't kept up with them, so if someone can fill me in quickly (ooer) that'd be real great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You should really be cross shopping the 1080ti with the 2080. That said, it all comes down to what display you're trying to drive.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Single monitor 1920 x 1200 (Yes, I know, stop looking at me like that) with an Oculus Rift. I mostly want it for the VR performance boost. My processor is an i7-7600k and I'm running 16gb RAM which I'm guessing will be fine for my purposes for now?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Single monitor 1920 x 1200 (Yes, I know, stop looking at me like that) with an Oculus Rift. I mostly want it for the VR performance boost. My processor is an i7-7600k and I'm running 16gb RAM which I'm guessing will be fine for my purposes for now?

In that case I'd probably lean towards 2080, unless you can find a 1080ti significantly cheaper. I've got a Rift and the jump from 1080 to my 1080ti was pretty noticeable.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Songbearer posted:

1080ti is more than enough for current gen VR in my opinion. If you can find a 2080 for the same price, performance is similar and it has some new features that you might want to make use of when software catches up. Your 970 will probably be enough for anything you want to do on your monitor. That said, if you're considering a high-end graphics card and own a VR headset that probably also puts you in the market for a flashy new 144Hz/1440 gsync monitor, or an ultra wide if you want to go all out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Songbearer posted:

I'd probably suggest stretching to a 2080 if your considering it against a 1080 given you have a rift. 1080ti is a good choice if (as mentioned above) you can find one for a good price, but right now if you're looking new most place don't have them at a good price. I have a 1070 that does great on my rift, but at some point you'll want more headroom there. You'll definitely have more GPU than you need for 1200p though, so if the Rift isn't a big factor you can probably cheap out.

You mean an i5 7600k or an i7 7700k? If its the former, at some point you'll want to upgrade that too, but between the two if you are using VR I'd keep that and get a 2080 vs a 9700k and a 1080. Honestly, I'd say that was the case even without the rift....

If you have a 7700k you're fine for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Sorry, got the digits mixed up. i7-6700k, which yeah I'm going to have to replace soon if I want to get the best out of the card, I'm guessing. Here's the card I'm looking at: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080. Providing I'm making a decent choice, if I ran that card on these specs until I could afford to switch out my processor and mobo a little later I'd still have a decent time of it, right?