Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

Re: that 787 article; Did they get a change to the TC, or did they just start building noncompliant aircraft and then strong arm the FAA into accepting it because there were tails on the delivery ramp?

The Seattle Times report is unclear.

quote:

By then Boeing had already built about 40 sets of wings without the foil.

Facing the prospect of not being able to deliver those airplanes, Boeing immediately appealed. FAA managers reversed the ruling exactly a week later — just days before the unrelated crash of the second 737 MAX.

Were the wings attached to fuselages or not?

I see it as an academic point. Either way, the pressure is there to approve the change because planes won’t fly on‐time without those wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

its an mcas joke

Yes, and also Back to the Future because I’m imagining 787s getting struck by lightning and leaving two trails of fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5EYO5wWMA&t=81s

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

The Seattle Times report is unclear.

Were the wings attached to fuselages or not?

I see it as an academic point. Either way, the pressure is there to approve the change because planes won’t fly on‐time without those wings.

The 787 ought to be grounded.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's starting to sound like we should be asking which Boeing planes should be allowed to fly instead of which should be grounded

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bull3964 posted:

It's starting to sound like we should be asking which Boeing planes should be allowed to fly instead of which should be grounded

Should ban everything newer than:
-Introduction of 737MAX
-Introduction of 787
-Merger with McDonnell Douglas
-Whenever it was that the shareholder theory of value really caught on
-First test runs of Wright R-3350

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

StandardVC10 posted:

Should ban everything newer than:
-Introduction of 737MAX
-Introduction of 787
-Merger with McDonnell Douglas
-Whenever it was that the shareholder theory of value really caught on
-First test runs of Wright R-3350

Pretty sure three and four are the same event.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
747s only :colbert:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Time to retool for 377 Stratocruisers

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The 787 is the Dreamliner, as everybody knows. But TIL that the Airbus A350's nickname is the Eyeliner.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I will continue to let everyone know that the 787 seats block comfortable foot position with where they bolt to the floor (and I'm on record in this thread that legroom is never an issue to me - except on 787s) and the Communist window shading that enforce the same thing on every window can both gently caress off and die in a fire

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

simplefish posted:

I will continue to let everyone know that the 787 seats block comfortable foot position with where they bolt to the floor (and I'm on record in this thread that legroom is never an issue to me - except on 787s) and the Communist window shading that enforce the same thing on every window can both gently caress off and die in a fire

I'm not sure it's a 787 problem or a Qantas 787 problem but premium economy sure does have a lot less legroom than on the 380. Oh and yeah I agree about the window shades, I like to look outside even if it is nighttime, that's why I book the window seat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boeing: installs larger windows in 787

Airlines: tHeSe WiNdOwS aRe LeTtInG tOo MuCh LiGhT iN!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

simplefish posted:

the window thing is good since it cuts down on idiots keeping their windows open on long haul overnight flights

the 787 is a great airplane from a passenger perspective but the A350 is just as good, and although it's astonishing that i am saying this, appears to not have been designed by idiots

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the window thing is good since it cuts down on idiots keeping their windows open on long haul overnight flights

I'll sacrifice window control just for this.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 787 is a great airplane from a passenger perspective but the A350 is just as good, and although it's astonishing that i am saying this, appears to not have been designed by idiots

subtle shade being thrown

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t use one of those eye mask things and/or drape a piece of clothing over your face

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Being able to look out the window is really really helpful when you have small kids who need to be kept entertained.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

gently caress it; bring back the DC-10.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
man the funny thing is Boeing had to redesign a bunch of access doors to the fuel tanks on the 737MAX because they weren't electrically bonded properly right around the same time they would have been pulling this poo poo

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

gently caress it; bring back the DC-10.

Help out an ignorant person here. I don't understand. The 737 Max wasn't exactly a clean sheet design, right? So what's the problem? Kelly Johnson designed the SR-71 over a long weekend with an abacus and a tape measure. These guys have HAL 9000 units and can't keep a brand new plane from committing suicide.

Also, what's the deal with the black box? Why don't they make the whol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the problem is that it wasn't a clean sheet design, it was an attempt to shoehorn 2010s technolgy in a 1960s airplane

edit: if anything a clean sheet design is easier because you're not constraining your different parameters in weird ways

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 737 MAXX issues are entirely due to emergent symptoms due to incompletely-understood system interaction, which is 100% due to stacking systems on systems in order to meet arbitrary certification standards. The MAXX would have legitimately been a safer airplane with the new pitch characteristics due to the new engines, and no other changes than it ended up being with systems strapped on top of systems to make it fly like something it isn’t.

(Please note that I am NOT trying to excuse Boeing here.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Help out an ignorant person here. I don't understand. The 737 Max wasn't exactly a clean sheet design, right? So what's the problem? Kelly Johnson designed the SR-71 over a long weekend with an abacus and a tape measure. These guys have HAL 9000 units and can't keep a brand new plane from committing suicide.

The problem is exactly that it's not a clean sheet design. They should have stopped making 737 variants a long time ago in favor of designing a whole new airplane, but that would require that the pilots be retrained and rated for the new type. Airlines are extremely stingy and don't want to pay for that. So instead Boeing tries to cram as much new technology as possible into a frame that the FAA still considers technically an original 737 and then they can say oh look, it's a plane that's just as good as a brand new Airbus but you don't have to retrain your pilots so it's better.

Boeing has been exploring replacements for the 737 since the 80s, but they always come back to just upgrading the same old airframe again and again because :capitalism:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The 737 MAXX issues are entirely due to emergent symptoms due to incompletely-understood system interaction, which is 100% due to stacking systems on systems in order to meet arbitrary certification standards. The MAXX would have legitimately been a safer airplane with the new pitch characteristics due to the new engines, and no other changes than it ended up being with systems strapped on top of systems to make it fly like something it isn’t.

(Please note that I am NOT trying to excuse Boeing here.)

That type certificate tho

Edit: sagebrush says it in more detail

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I don't think you would have been satisfied with the SR-71's safety characteristics as an airline passenger.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mortabis posted:

I don't think you would have been satisfied with the SR-71's safety characteristics as an airline passenger.

I don't know, that's a lot of time cut off the flight...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

x-posting from the OHSA thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmD5H47ALhk

:stonk:

Apparently the helo guy wasn't familiar with jump ops during a jamboree and just didn't know not to fly under a jump lane???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

The problem is exactly that it's not a clean sheet design. They should have stopped making 737 variants a long time ago in favor of designing a whole new airplane, but that would require that the pilots be retrained and rated for the new type. Airlines are extremely stingy and don't want to pay for that

I don’t go looking for them in the wild, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen more neoliberal columnists arguing that pilot certification is the real monster that killed all those people.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Apparently the helo guy wasn't familiar with jump ops during a jamboree and just didn't know not to fly under a jump lane???
maybe the helo guy doesn’t need to hold a license while he thinks about how not to be a dickbag for a couple years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t go looking for them in the wild, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen more neoliberal columnists arguing that pilot certification is the real monster that killed all those people.

I recall a couple of posters around the time of the Ethiopian crash who were arguing that it was the result of terrible third world pilot training standards and not Boeing's fault at all, because a bunch of American pilots experienced runaway trim issues in the 737max but were able to get the plane under control.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NYT magazine ran a article on that premise a few months ago. It was really bad. Human factors research demonstrated the futility of expecting people to execute perfectly to avoid the airplane killing you like sixty years ago.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
It can be true that American pilots have better training and higher experience requirements for the job, and also that the airplane is unsafe to fly

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

RE the whole type certificate...

Is it a case of Boeing marketing it to the airlines saying "See how much we can save you with this aircraft" or the Airlines going to Boeing saying "We have a shitload of 737s and don't want to retrain everyone. Sell us an aircraft where we don't have to!"

I realize Boeing is ultimately responsible for what they build and should be held to account, but should any blame go to airlines for pushing Boeing to fill a niche which shouldn't be filled even if it technically could?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

It can be true that American pilots have better training and higher experience requirements for the job, and also that the airplane is unsafe to fly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite posted:

Is it a case of Boeing marketing it to the airlines saying "See how much we can save you with this aircraft" or the Airlines going to Boeing saying "We have a shitload of 737s and don't want to retrain everyone. Sell us an aircraft where we don't have to!"

Boeing started talking about a clean sheet successor to the 737 and the airlines were like “eh, if we have to retrain our pilots anyway, we might as well go with Airbus’ A320neo…”

PCjr sidecar posted:

NYT magazine ran a article on that premise a few months ago. It was really bad. Human factors research demonstrated the futility of expecting people to execute perfectly to avoid the airplane killing you like sixty years ago.

I don’t mean that the columnists would blame it on pilot error.

I mean that they would blame it on the “red tape” of type certification itself.

If the FAA didn’t require pilots to be trained in particular models of airplane, there would be no financial pressure to hack up a sixties design and MCAS.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Boeing was responding to consumer demand particularly from Southwest.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

a patagonian cavy posted:

It can also be true that a number of foreign airlines hire pilots who are barely competent who can’t do anything beyond fly a bus, and when the automated systems do something they don’t expect they will kill everybody. And fixing the specific issue with the 737MAX doesn’t do anything to fix that particular contribution to the crashes. See also AF447, AirAsia 8501.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Spaced God posted:

x-posting from the OHSA thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmD5H47ALhk

:stonk:

A helicopter, much like a lathe is made up of large spinny bits. They also share an identical lust for human blood, this victim just saw the predator first and lives to fly another day.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Jump ops are usually not defined or charted well (if at all) other than “jumping in the vicinity”

e:

For example, if you were just transitioning this area all there is to notify you that there might be parachutists is that small little parachute icon next to the airport’s icon. It doesn’t tell you that the jump zone is southwest of the field, or the frequency the jump ship is broadcasting on, or that they jump from up to 17,000ft.

Or here, that has frequent jump ops from 17,000 and below and isn’t charted at all.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

e.pilot posted:

Jump ops are usually not defined or charted well (if at all) other than “jumping in the vicinity”

Check the description on the video. It's looks like a "parachute from helicopters" event, but I don't know the slang, and everybody should have been in the same page about jump zones. This is third hand commenting: the video description that breaks down what happened is second hand.