Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacafuego posted:

According to a recent article, the availability of wegovy and ozempic for weight loss (and the massive amount of overweight people frantically getting these prescribed) are absolutely destroying corporate insurance rates and will be for the next ~10 (?) years.

I was kinda curious about that. I absolutely love that my company insurance is paying the $1600/month for my Wegovy, but I wonder if they are going to start clamping down somehow. (Or if we're gonna see a massive hike in our insurance rates come Open Enrollment time.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

same for my wife's ozempic

We're paying $30/month for it right now after insurance

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Offset by disallowing chiropractors, please.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LanceHunter posted:

I was kinda curious about that. I absolutely love that my company insurance is paying the $1600/month for my Wegovy, but I wonder if they are going to start clamping down somehow. (Or if we're gonna see a massive hike in our insurance rates come Open Enrollment time.)

I don't know specifics, but the company isn't paying the full list price for these drugs. There are deals behind the scenes between the Pharmacy Benefit Managers, Insurance companies, and pharmacies. There are massive discounts for being on a plans formulary. It's like how Mounjaro wasn't covered by most PBM plans until July this year without a Prior Auth, then all of a sudden Mounjaro was covered by CVS/Caremark no PA needed. They struck a deal behind the scenes to make it a prefered medication on the formulary which means they're selling it to the PBM's cheap.

If anyone know more details about PBM's and all that, I'm interested in learning more.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baddog posted:

Offset by disallowing chiropractors, please.
Oh god, this so much

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Old job had "all balance from day one" and if you left midway through they'd pay out days up to whatever % of the year or you could just take them while in your notice period.

worked for a company 10 years ago that did this; they had just changed to a policy of frontloading the annual PTO effective the january 1st of the year they let me go (in early Feb), and amazingly, they paid me out for a whole year's worth of PTO as I had no opportunity to actually use it by that point.

it sucked to lose my job for doing nothing wrong at all but having a years worth of PTO paid out plus an extra two weeks of regular pay helped soften the blow somewhat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh god, this so much

Sounds like you need a crackin’!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

priznat posted:

Sounds like you need a crackin’!!
gonna crack yer feckin' head

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

gonna crack yer feckin' head

Bad alignment will give you a cranky attitude that’s for sure

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I don't know specifics, but the company isn't paying the full list price for these drugs. There are deals behind the scenes between the Pharmacy Benefit Managers, Insurance companies, and pharmacies. There are massive discounts for being on a plans formulary. It's like how Mounjaro wasn't covered by most PBM plans until July this year without a Prior Auth, then all of a sudden Mounjaro was covered by CVS/Caremark no PA needed. They struck a deal behind the scenes to make it a prefered medication on the formulary which means they're selling it to the PBM's cheap.

If anyone know more details about PBM's and all that, I'm interested in learning more.

PBMs and drug companies have a big scam going on where there's the list price that gets a discount, but after the fact the manufacturer pays a rebate to the PBM that is secret, and not necessarily passed along to the employer. A good negotiated contract for employers might result in the PBM passing along rebates of like 30% of the total amount the employer spends on drugs (imagine like $1,000 per employee per year in rebates), but no one really knows how much the PBMs are actually getting back from the manufacturers versus what they can pass along.

Every so often someone in the government realizes how insane this is and tries to stop it, then it goes away. The IRA added some negotiation provisions but left this in.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

skipdogg posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...age-2023-06-27/

quote:

Use of Wegovy for weight loss has risen to around 135,000 new prescriptions per week in May from 45,000 in the last week of January, according to Barclays Research, and is widely expected to increase further.

That has fueled a 250% increase in costs for employer-sponsored health insurance in the first two months of 2023 combined compared to all of 2022, according to Willis Towers Watson consultant Dr. Jeff Levin-Scherz. Even if only half of eligible employees use such drugs, he said, the costs to employers of insuring all of those covered by their health plans could rise by 50%.

"It’ll be very hard to keep healthcare affordable if that’s the case," Levin-Scherz said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/09/wegovy-heart-health-data-insurance-hurdles-costs.html

quote:

The University of Texas System decided to ratchet down its coverage of those drugs dramatically, noting in July that the cost of covering the drugs under two of its plans is more than $5 million per month, up from around $1.5 million per month 18 months ago, when demand for obesity treatments was lower.

The university is one of the largest employers in Texas, with more than 116,000 employees across the state. Its plans will no longer cover Wegovy starting Sept. 1.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-employers-see-biggest-healthcare-cost-jump-decade-2024-2023-09-20/

quote:

Of its projected 8.5% increase in employer healthcare costs for next year, Aon anticipates 1 percentage point coming from weight-loss drugs alone.

There’s a bunch more out there, but I don’t think every company is cutting deals to get cheap weight loss drugs.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
"Of its projected 8.5% increase in employer healthcare costs for next year, Aon anticipates 1 percentage point "

While a 1% increase from one new medication isn't something to dismiss, that's a lot of percentage points coming from "people getting sicker and/or providers charging more and/or insurers increasing margins"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pretty dope that Americans need to spend billions of dollars on drugs to make them stop being fat

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Iirc Denmark had to adjust their gdp reporting to specifically exclude the revenue from that drug manufacturer; quarterly gdp increase of 3.5% but without it it was like -0.5

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It is pretty dope that there’s a drug that helps Americans lose weight, yes.

I mean, besides meth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

in a well actually posted:

It is pretty dope that there’s a drug that helps Americans lose weight, yes.

I mean, besides meth.

Which only works if you're on it for life. And has numerous side effects. And is being prescribed in lieu of counseling and exercise.

Yeah, dope!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

car dependency is a hell of a thing

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Motronic posted:

Which only works if you're on it for life. And has numerous side effects. And is being prescribed in lieu of counseling and exercise.

Yeah, dope!

Actually as someone taking Monjouro and having had meaningful discussions with my doc about it, it’s one of the safest drug families there is. And any reasonable doc has had conversations with their patients about exercise first. You don’t need to be on them for life if you can use them to drop weight and then maintain your weight when you’re off it.

Insurance is gonna clamp down hard though as it gets more and more popular, get yourself a script and fill up your fridges people!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I personally know people who have had their entire lives changed by these new GLP-1 medications. Folks that have struggled with their weight for decades no matter what diet or exercise program they did. These drugs are just shy of a miracle to a lot of people. In the long run these medications would probably save the healthcare system money. If you don't need a double knee replacement at 55 because of your weight, that probably pays for a lifetime of GLP-1 and then some. Preventing folks from going on insulin, there's a bunch of expensive medical treatments that can be avoided if people lose weight.

This isn't the thread to get into all this poo poo though.

Better question. Why does Ozempic cost 936 dollars here in the US but only 168 in Japan? https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/17/weight-loss-drugs-cost-more-in-us-kff-says.html

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

That’s easy, legal drug dealers have way less scrouples than illegal ones.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

skipdogg posted:

Better question. Why does Ozempic cost 936 dollars here in the US but only 168 in Japan? https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/17/weight-loss-drugs-cost-more-in-us-kff-says.html

Most countries national healthcare apparatus negotiates a price for the entire country. Only in America are we free to pay significantly higher prices for all drugs.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Y'all are calling out to my cheapass side... "Oh my rates are going up because of this expensive medication? And it's covered 100% for now? I could stand to lose 20 pounds.... hmmm"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does it just make you poop more? Sounds like some excellent workplace synergy

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

priznat posted:

Does it just make you poop more? Sounds like some excellent workplace synergy

The opposite actually. Glp-1 medications tend to slow down gastric emptying

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Motronic posted:

How well has the diet and exercise prescription been working out for the last 50 years?

I can believe that these drugs will actually lower health premiums over time, although it seems doubtful that the payers will ever realise that upside.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

~Coxy posted:

How well has the diet and exercise prescription been working out for the last 50 years?

Don't they sell "single servings" of soft drink in the US that are almost a litre in size? Seems like some proscriptions are needed instead of prescriptions

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Jenkl posted:

Sundaes gonna be working Sundays if this keeps up.

Just another manic Sundae

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Atopian posted:

Just another manic Sundae

This is the peak for this thread. It’s all downhill from here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

Actually as someone taking Monjouro and having had meaningful discussions with my doc about it, it’s one of the safest drug families there is.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...hts-2023-09-28/

This is not new information, it just happens to be yet another article on it that happened to be published yesterday.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Motronic posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...hts-2023-09-28/

This is not new information, it just happens to be yet another article on it that happened to be published yesterday.

Suicide bad. No numbers posted in the article, but I bet they’re way the gently caress less than any kind of anti depressant or anti psychotic. As was said before, no one wants to read a back and forth about this poo poo in this thread.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tnuctip posted:

Suicide bad. No numbers posted in the article, but I bet they’re way the gently caress less than any kind of anti depressant or anti psychotic. As was said before, no one wants to read a back and forth about this poo poo in this thread.

Assuming that all the trial participants are Corporate Megathread enjoyers (and why would I bother to assume otherwise in the Corporate Megathread?) then I feel it stands to reason that any of those pesky thoughts are normal, regular, and immaterial to the trial.

"Someday I will be dead, and [Megacorp] won't be able to hurt me anymore :v:"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zarin posted:

"Someday I will be dead, and [Megacorp] won't be able to hurt me anymore :v:"

And then they'll really know my value once I'm gone!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lockback posted:

I can't find the leave button. Oh forget it.

/dies

Croaking out "meeting.... adjourned.... you all get... 5 minutes... of your lives... back......" before falling out of my chair, dead.

As the light leaves my eyes, I can hear Mort say to the call "hey, can you just stick around for a few minutes? I need to discuss something with you."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Croaking out "meeting.... adjourned.... you all get... 5 minutes... of your lives... back......" before falling out of my chair, dead.

As the light leaves my eyes, I can hear Mort say to the call "hey, can you just stick around for a few minutes? I need to discuss something with you."

I wake up to the sound of fluorescent hums. I’m in a small, windowless meeting room. The table is overcrowded and the trash can in the corner is in danger of spilling its contents on the floor.

A gaunt, bald man in a black suit is speaking when I wake. “We’re missing a few people, but let’s go ahead and get started. We’ll fill them in when they join. There’s no written agenda for this meeting; I delight in the sparks of creativity that come from a free wheeling conversation. Don’t worry, we’ll get some time back. I booked us for 1000 years but only need 850 or so.”

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Democratic Pirate posted:

I wake up to the sound of fluorescent hums. I’m in a small, windowless meeting room. The table is overcrowded and the trash can in the corner is in danger of spilling its contents on the floor.

A gaunt, bald man in a black suit is speaking when I wake. “We’re missing a few people, but let’s go ahead and get started. We’ll fill them in when they join. There’s no written agenda for this meeting; I delight in the sparks of creativity that come from a free wheeling conversation. Don’t worry, we’ll get some time back. I booked us for 1000 years but only need 850 or so.”
Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ThLeM1Bu9k

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Christ NMS that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

we watched that episode a few nights ago -- incredible scene. :perfect:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
When they introduced the first council member I got my hopes up that Joe Pera would be a member

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Deadite posted:

When they introduced the first council member I got my hopes up that Joe Pera would be a member

Lmao. I just loved Hannibal’s “yeah but I wasn’t listening so somebody bring me up to speed please”

That show gets the best cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA