Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fil5000 posted:

Is this a "you're a faceblind idiot" loving hell or a different one

It's a "I am a faceblind idiot" loving hell. Up until now I was sure that Walter Peck was the rebel leader in Willow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Well I'm glad it's not just me then. If you look at pictures of them both before and after the mid 80s there's enough difference that you can pretty easily tell them apart, but from like 83 to 88 you can mix them up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poltergeist 1982. Are they supposed to be rich? He's a salesman, she's a housewife. I remembered the neighbourhood as ticky tacky tract housing, and it is, but then their livingroom is like

Wowzers I've never seen a staircase like that IRL. And a stocked bar in the livingroom.

Those huge speakers had to be expensive, right?

Are these an early wave of what would come to be known as McMansions? Looking fancy, but built so cheaply they don't even bother to move the bodies? They are having a pool put in, that would be pretty swank where I live, but maybe not in California? At the same time the son and youngest daughter have to share a bedroom because it's only a 3 bedroom house (and the son is nearly old enough for that to be weird soon).

If it cheap track housing, how did the house get built without removing the magnificent mature tree? It is so close to the house, nearly touching. It would be hard to have construction equipment in that close without damaging the roots. Though to be fair the tree doesn't exactly look healthy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Poltergeist 1982. Are they supposed to be rich? He's a salesman, she's a housewife. I remembered the neighbourhood as ticky tacky tract housing, and it is, but then their livingroom is like

Houses are frequently bigger on the inside than the outside in movies - especially in the 80s and earlier - because the sets need to hold the cameras and lighting. Sometimes the set designer could have used a slap, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unrealistic housing budgets are pretty common in media, but it was the 80s. And salesmen depending on what they're selling and how much seem like the perfect intersection of having too much money and no taste. A proto-McMansion sounds exactly right.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's been a while but wasn't he connected to the house selling? Like he was a salesman for the property development?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Al Bundy didn't even own the shoe store he worked at and look at his place plus the family he was able to support. Different, even mythical times.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...seem like the perfect intersection of having too much money and no taste.
This never goes away. Without fail, the richer the person, the tackier the home decor. Rich people poo poo is just gaudy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another complaint about subtitles (hopefully this'll cover it and I can shut up now.)

I'm watching the newest Kong/Godzilla flick and there's loads of sign language. I'm watching it with SDH subs, but it's also got hardcoded subs for the sign language bits.

So now the SDH subs cover up the hardcoded sign language subs with [in sign language] leaving you unable to read what is actually signed. For fucks sake, this is just getting ridiculous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nobody has paid Clancy Brown to record all his lines from Starship Troopers in character as Mr Krabs

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Len posted:

Nobody has paid Clancy Brown to record all his lines from Starship Troopers in character as Mr Krabs
I want a Clancy Brown dialogue randomizer mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-aslUHJsg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's been a while but wasn't he connected to the house selling? Like he was a salesman for the property development?

Yes, he was a house salesman for the development company. He misses so much work being haunted that his boss worries he's looking for a new job. Claims he's the best salesman they have and they should have made him partner years ago. If he's working on commission that could be pretty good money.

This movie came out when I was 10 so as a kid I saw the TV cut. Imagine my :eyepop: when I finally saw the full version and the parents are smoking weed.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ommin posted:

This never goes away. Without fail, the richer the person, the tackier the home decor. Rich people poo poo is just gaudy.

It's also true with watches, as the price goes up so does the tacky ugliness

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

500excf type r posted:

With the endpoint being Richard Mille.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Taeke posted:

Another complaint about subtitles (hopefully this'll cover it and I can shut up now.)

I'm watching the newest Kong/Godzilla flick and there's loads of sign language. I'm watching it with SDH subs, but it's also got hardcoded subs for the sign language bits.

So now the SDH subs cover up the hardcoded sign language subs with [in sign language] leaving you unable to read what is actually signed. For fucks sake, this is just getting ridiculous.

I'm watching the Veil and it does this whenever anyone is speaking a non English language. I miss every first sentence because it says "speaking in French" on top of the hard coded subtitles

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Len posted:

Not anything irritating, but since Max von Sydow died, Clancy Brown has taken up the mantle of "who's playing that dude? Oh, its X!" for me, but only with his voice roles.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The True Downfall of the British Empire.

E:The british-accented roles anyway

Pneub has a new favorite as of 10:58 on May 15, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

500excf type r posted:

I get compliments on my watch all the time and I got it from Amazon for seven quid lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grendels Dad posted:

I like Oblivion a whole lot. It has a fantastic look and vibe and the actors bring a great energy to it. But it very much feels like an European sci-fi comic you rent from the library that only has most of the issues, and some very exciting issues just aren't there. Never mind the invasion of the army of Tom Cruises that apparently swept away what remained of earth's defenses, I wanna know what happens after the end because there is bound to be more than one more Tom Cruise left. That specific Tom Cruise was searching for the hut because he met the other Tom Cruise, but what happens when the other 500 or however many Tom Cruises start leaving their posts? Also, the surviving Andrea Riseboroughs are going to go through some interesting times now that their emotional anchor in the Tet is gone. I wanna see all that, where is my Oblivion 2?

hard no. movies should be singular, whatever tom cruise does or did before or after is for your imagination. any realized pre- or sequel would suck rear end for everyone.

as it is, oblivion is a pretty good ~scifi romp~ with a solid plot, some decent acting, great scenery, amd amazing sound. thats more than you usually get ime

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

hard no. movies should be singular, whatever tom cruise does or did before or after is for your imagination. any realized pre- or sequel would suck rear end for everyone.

as it is, oblivion is a pretty good ~scifi romp~ with a solid plot, some decent acting, great scenery, amd amazing sound. thats more than you usually get ime

I think a sequel to oblivion could be wildly successful and get hundreds of remakes for every new system

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

I think a sequel to oblivion could be wildly successful and get hundreds of remakes for every new system

thats possible. id rather drop below tet horizon and cease to be effective

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah, I'm wildly shooting for the stars here and would hope that any potential se-, pre- or sidequel would be... not like those usually turn out. It's already a small miracle that the movie we got was as cohesive as it was, and the fact that I am thinking about the gaps I mentioned above is a strength, not a weakness.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spartacus:
In the movie Spartacus bans his group from forcing romans to fight in gladiatorial battles. The real life Spartacus at one point forced 400 captured romans to fight each other to the death.
The movie loses momentum after the "I am Spartacus" scene, just to make sure there's a somewhat happy ending.
Batiatus and Gracchus somehow ends up being sympathetic despite Gracchus being a rapist and Batiatus being the one who enslaved Spartacus. Apparently, according to the movie, as long as you're not bisexual it's okay to bang your slaves.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I'm wildly shooting for the stars here and would hope that any potential se-, pre- or sidequel would be... not like those usually turn out. It's already a small miracle that the movie we got was as cohesive as it was, and the fact that I am thinking about the gaps I mentioned above is a strength, not a weakness.

:h5: same page hell yeah

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

Counterpoint: while Mission Impossible 1 was obviously the best one, it's good that its sequels exist.

Supposedly a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow is in the works and I'm down for that too. (I otherwise agree that there's no reason for a sequel to Oblivion)

Tom Cruise kinda sucks as a person but as an actor he's difficult to find fault with. At least his thing is just running at full speed, which is way better than the other Tom's thing.

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:40 on May 18, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

stringless posted:

Counterpoint: while Mission Impossible 1 was obviously the best one, it's good that its sequels exist.

Supposedly a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow is in the works and I'm down for that too. (I otherwise agree that there's no reason for a sequel to Oblivion)

Tom Cruise kinda sucks as a person but as an actor he's difficult to find fault with. At least his thing is just running at full speed, which is way better than the other Tom's thing.

i didnt mean cruise specifically, he was just an example from oblivion. i shoulda wrote "jack harper". vika/riseborough is a way more interesting character

(but tbf none of the mission impossible movies were super engaging to me neither)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

stringless posted:

... the other Tom?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bombadil

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spookykid posted:

... the other Tom?

spoilery (first 5 minutes) but yes, theres a flashback to how tom cruise was before. hes like two different toms. its a whole thing

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spookykid posted:

... the other Tom?

Selleck
Clancy
Lehrer
Hanks
Hardy
Holland
Waits
& Jerry

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

FreudianSlippers posted:

Selleck
Clancy
Lehrer
Hanks
Hardy
Holland
Waits
& Jerry

of Maine

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Of Finland

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Selleck
Clancy
Lehrer
Hanks
Hardy
Holland
Waits
& Jerry

Jones

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Torquemada posted:

Of Finland

:hmmyes:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

stringless posted:

Tom Cruise kinda sucks as a person but as an actor he's difficult to find fault with.…
And as a producer as well, if he’s in a show he’s been an active producer and it has a well above-average chance of being good. He’s also well-liked by crews, at least he was 10 years or so ago when I was in a place where I’d hear that kinda gossip.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Shatner apparently normally notoriously bit of an rear end in a top hat. When he was directing his star trek movie, apparently much less so and seems he treated cast and crew well.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've heard that Shatner is a bit of an rear end in a top hat to fans but I know a couple people who've worked with him in non film/acting situations and they say he's a pretty nice guy, so who knows with him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's that classic leaked audio of him doing a voice over session where the director tried to correct him about something and Shat's like "well how would you say it." The director kinda nervously reads it and Shatner then does his take making fun of the way the director read it. Like the equivalent of going "iN jUlY pEaS gRoW tHeRe"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's that classic leaked audio of him doing a voice over session where the director tried to correct him about something and Shat's like "well how would you say it." The director kinda nervously reads it and Shatner then does his take making fun of the way the director read it. Like the equivalent of going "iN jUlY pEaS gRoW tHeRe"

Seems like every actor that does VO has at least one of those knocking around. The Tom Baker one is a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remulak posted:

And as a producer as well, if he’s in a show he’s been an active producer and it has a well above-average chance of being good. He’s also well-liked by crews, at least he was 10 years or so ago when I was in a place where I’d hear that kinda gossip.

There was that thing from the last Mission Impossible movie with the recording of him blowing up on set but it was about crew not following proper masking procedures and he didn't want anyone to get sick.