Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

I have to do that sometimes, as a sort-of shot across the bow. "Answer my underling's question. A manager has entered the e-mail chain, motherfucker."

I forgot one of my team’s mailing lists included upper managers when I sent an FYI about a ticket I was getting ghosted on that impacted a process we do.

Next thing I knew, I had to get up early to validate a priority database fix because my director saw my note and made their director aware of the lack of response. Got my desired result but did not intend to use a sledgehammer on a picture nail of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cheesus posted:

The original poo poo poster?

Diogenes of Sinope has him beat by millennia.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

This thread is making things happen on real life

5:15 invite to a 9:00 am meeting tomorrow to be a technical resource

"We will share the problem on the call"

Just send me the issue now. 99% I circle or error, maybe add an arrow or some lighting bolts, idgaf.

This does not need to be a verbal description or worse a zoom share of the error on your screen

"Please take a screenshot of the error and paste it into a word doc"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

then print it and fax it to me so I can upload it into our cms

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
How does one deal with a manager that has trained you with a “no exceptions” philosophy but then when your reach out to them about something they repeatedly tell you to make an exception?

I don’t think they’re doing it maliciously, it just feels like they’re overworked and just want the problem to go away.

The problem is that each document that goes out has my stamp and is ultimately my responsibility.

I don’t give a poo poo about quality for quality’s sake, but handing out exceptions for every roadblock is ultimately going to bite me in the rear end, but option b is constantly getting sign-off from my manager which is a fast track to getting on their poo poo list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That really is a conversation you need to have, as collaboratively as possible, with your manager.

If that changes nothing, then at least get their instructions to make exceptions in writing, to protect yourself in the event some mistake pisses off an executive and you need to cover your rear end.

If they purposefully avoid giving said instructions in writing, then they are a terrible manager and your role as far as they're concerned is to be available to throw under any buses that may suddenly appear, and in that case you should GTFO yesterday.

Those are hypotheticals though. Hopefully it's just a disorganization thing and they'll at least put their own rear end on the line when they tell you to ignore the rules.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we were supposed to have some downtime this month as volume was supposed to go down, but we’re literally handling more stuff than ever (which is why my manager is overworked).

I’ll see if I can find a diplomatic way of bringing it up at some point.

They’re not my solid line manager so I don’t have 1 on 1s with them, so it’s harder to find an opportunity.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
We told our investors recently that my cofounder is buying me out soon. Its not that much money, startup became profitable lifestyle after raising seed, but its enough to start another company doing something I enjoy a lot more and substantially more than I woulda made working for big defense cos the past half decade.

Wish me luck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
congrats and good luck CarForumPoster! Sounds like a win to me

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

congrats and good luck CarForumPoster! Sounds like a win to me

Learned a lot about B2B sales funnel building plus employment and fraud litigation so thats neat too

e: redacted other stuff

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Had my 3rd interview, really more of a chat, with the company my boss went to and most of my team is kind of migrating to. Went well, was with a guy I had worked with a couple companies ago so was more of a catch up and and about the culture there because he’s been there for a while. He’s a senior manager now, which is equivalent to where I would be hired on the IC track.

One thing that he said was interesting, that people can and do switch back and forth between management and IC roles. Thought that was pretty neat! I wonder how incremental that is. He has 40 reports though and I definitely don’t want that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CarForumPoster posted:

We told our investors recently that my cofounder is buying me out soon. Its not that much money, startup became profitable lifestyle after raising seed, but its enough to start another company doing something I enjoy a lot more and substantially more than I woulda made working for big defense cos the past half decade.

Wish me luck.

That's awesome, and truly the dream.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CarForumPoster posted:

Learned a lot about B2B sales funnel building plus employment and fraud litigation so thats neat too

e: redacted other stuff

Congratulations on being bought out by Baraduk's organization!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

Had my 3rd interview, really more of a chat, with the company my boss went to and most of my team is kind of migrating to. Went well, was with a guy I had worked with a couple companies ago so was more of a catch up and and about the culture there because he’s been there for a while. He’s a senior manager now, which is equivalent to where I would be hired on the IC track.

One thing that he said was interesting, that people can and do switch back and forth between management and IC roles. Thought that was pretty neat! I wonder how incremental that is. He has 40 reports though and I definitely don’t want that.

40 reports :wtc: that is a bit of a red flag.

Congrats carforumposter livin the dream baby

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Like directly 40? Or everyone in their tree? I have 40 in my tree and that sucks already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Everyone in the tree is kinda meaningless imo. I assumed it was directs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It sounded like about more than half of the 40 were in India and China and were not really day to day reports however that works but yeah I kind of went what the as well.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

priznat posted:

It sounded like about more than half of the 40 were in India and China and were not really day to day reports however that works but yeah I kind of went what the as well.

names on a spreadsheet

I got so many names on this spreadsheet, for so little money. It''s loving amazing. Everyone is very impressed at how many I have. The guy over there I talk to every week or two tells me how happy all the names are to be on my spreadsheet, and how well everything is going.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Baddog posted:

names on a spreadsheet

I got so many names on this spreadsheet, for so little money. It''s loving amazing. Everyone is very impressed at how many I have. The guy over there I talk to every week or two tells me how happy all the names are to be on my spreadsheet, and how well everything is going.

Here's a tip: put the names in a pivot table, that way you can really get to know them!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Make sure to add columns for gender, age, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. Email a copy to your personal address for safekeeping.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Wish me luck.
congrats, good luck, and don’t put all your money into your own VC

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Welcome to Rltnshp, we help leaders build easy and natural connections with their teams and take the burden of remembering details off of their plate. All we need is your reports’ names, address, date of birth, and family details to build you a comprehensive dossier of fun facts. We’ll also need the last 4 digits of their social for tax purposes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Welcome to Rltnshp, we help leaders build easy and natural connections with their teams and take the burden of remembering details off of their plate. All we need is your reports’ names, address, date of birth, and family details to build you a comprehensive dossier of fun facts. We’ll also need the last 4 digits of their social for tax purposes.

Sorry, that name is way too old fashioned. Consider "shipmates" to add synergy for apartment roommate advertising as well.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sorry, really missing the opportunity to sync the service to AR glasses that generate ChatGPT-derived small talk so you can save your brainpower for what matters.

"Hello Timothy James. The weather is great today, isn't it? Perfect for a round of golf. Congratulations and condolences on your wife's miscarriage. It is always a shame to lose something you might have been excited for, if you liked the idea of children. How are your TPS reports coming along?"

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 4, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

Sorry, really missing the opportunity to sync the service to AR glasses that generate ChatGPT-derived small talk so you can save your brainpower for what matters.

"Hello Timothy James. The weather is great today, isn't it? Perfect for a round of golf. Congratulations and condolences on your wife's miscarriage. It is always a shame to lose something you might have been excited for, if you liked the idea of children. How are your TPS reports coming along?"

That made me lol, quite well done.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

evil_bunnY posted:

congrats, good luck, and don’t put all your money into your own VC

if i wanna spend all my money on booze and startup lottery tickets thats literally MAH BUSINESS

LET. IT. RIDE.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m working on a project as a contractor and I feel like my boss is mansplaining to our client/customer every chance he gets but like I don’t really know how to bring this up or if it’s even worth bothering about. My customer contact isn’t an expert in my field which is fine because that’s why she pays us to do work for her but like whenever she asks us to do something that my boss doesn’t agree with (for whatever reason) he just huffs up a storm and explains to her so condescendingly that I believe mansplain is 100% the correct verb to use here. Internally he’s always referring to her as “that woman” or “this woman” when everybody else gets referred to by their name. I kinda hate it to be honest but it’s my boss and his experience dwarfs mine. Also if I made an anonymous HR complaint it would 100% point back to me because it’s hard to be anonymous on a small team.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m working on a project as a contractor and I feel like my boss is mansplaining to our client/customer every chance he gets but like I don’t really know how to bring this up or if it’s even worth bothering about. My customer contact isn’t an expert in my field which is fine because that’s why she pays us to do work for her but like whenever she asks us to do something that my boss doesn’t agree with (for whatever reason) he just huffs up a storm and explains to her so condescendingly that I believe mansplain is 100% the correct verb to use here. Internally he’s always referring to her as “that woman” or “this woman” when everybody else gets referred to by their name. I kinda hate it to be honest but it’s my boss and his experience dwarfs mine. Also if I made an anonymous HR complaint it would 100% point back to me because it’s hard to be anonymous on a small team.

Ooof that is a tough one. How long have you worked there? How good is your relationship with your boss? Is your boss the type of person who would appreciate this type of feedback if presented in a helpful, nonjudgemental way such as easing them into understanding how their behavior could be perceived by others?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The client holds the cards in the power dynamic here and she hasn’t complained (maybe she doesn’t notice it, maybe it doesn’t bother her, maybe she doesn’t think it’s worth it).

Immolating yourself in a token display of allyship is probably not worth it.

I say token not because I don’t think your complaint doesn’t have merit, but because it doesn’t seem like it’s going to prevent anything.

If this is a pattern (and especially if he does this to coworkers or contractors) then you should collect evidence, gather your own allies, and bring it up if there’s an appropriate channel (whether formal or not).

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 5, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CarForumPoster posted:

Ooof that is a tough one. How long have you worked there? How good is your relationship with your boss? Is your boss the type of person who would appreciate this type of feedback if presented in a helpful, nonjudgemental way such as easing them into understanding how their behavior could be perceived by others?

It’s a new job and I kinda wanted to stick around for a year (for my 401k match to vest) and also network with customers to climb up the salary ladder.

dpkg chopra posted:

The client holds the cards in the power dynamic here and she hasn’t complained (maybe she doesn’t notice it, maybe it doesn’t bother her, maybe she doesn’t think it’s worth it).

Immolating yourself in a token display of allyship is probably not worth it.

I say token not because I don’t think your complaint doesn’t have merit, but because it doesn’t seem like it’s going to prevent anything.

If this is a pattern then you should collect evidence, gather your own allies, and bring it up if there’s an appropriate channel (whether formal or not).

I get what you’re saying but on a selfish note it’s hard to network in this situation cause my boss insists on being involved in every meeting and butts in for even the most simplest stuff. I’m just trying to give off a good impression in case I might wanna work there in the future you know?

But yeah I’m just tuning out whenever my boss starts explaining stuff and just otherwise keeping a low profile while simultaneously trying to do what our client is asking for and hoping my name won’t get associated with my mansplaining boss.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 5, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s a new job and I kinda wanted to stick around

You should prob bide your time until you can get to know this boss better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It didn't have the same kind of sexist overtones but I worked with an on site guy who treated our customers like total garbage and it took me a long time to realize that was the exact dynamic our clients wanted from him. He came in to tell them their architecture was stupid and they wasted their money because they needed to hear it and he had the reputation and cache to deliver that message. He wouldn't have been nearly as effective if he took a softer tone.

I don't know if this boss guy is in the same category, but as it's been said the client here is the one who has the power and calls the shots, so don't be quick to assume she doesn't have the upper hand here. Maybe she needs someone direct and willing to dumb it down(I've worked with lots of people smarter than me who need me to explain software architecture with tinker toys), maybe the guy is rear end but delivers so it's worth it, maybe he just treats everyone like that.

Be a good person and the client will probably notice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lockback posted:

Corporate megathread: Be a good person and the client will probably notice.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

So the out of control Control saga continues, yesterday hit the classic from another team who were showing us how they're doing it of "yeah we use X right now, but X is being deprecated in favour of Y, and Y doesn't have feature Z, so I wouldn't suggest trying to do that" followed by my absolute favourite: "well yes this is being done at the design phase, but we're about to lose our designer and we won't get a replacement so we can't do that anymore" the Control response was "well you need to escalate that to your management to get that resource back". Lol, lmao even.

Nothing I love more than a control it is impossible to comply with that requires resources we don't have.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My sister says to shut the gently caress up about it because there’s a 0% chance the client doesn’t know how my boss is talking to her, and a >0% chance that my boss can make the work relationship worse (not just for me but also the client by being even more condescending if he’s a petty incel type). So I guess I’ll stfu about it and keep turning in my tps reports on time.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

So the out of control Control saga continues, yesterday hit the classic from another team who were showing us how they're doing it of "yeah we use X right now, but X is being deprecated in favour of Y, and Y doesn't have feature Z, so I wouldn't suggest trying to do that" followed by my absolute favourite: "well yes this is being done at the design phase, but we're about to lose our designer and we won't get a replacement so we can't do that anymore" the Control response was "well you need to escalate that to your management to get that resource back". Lol, lmao even.

Nothing I love more than a control it is impossible to comply with that requires resources we don't have.

Hope you're getting the essentials in writing for the inevitable denouement.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
My work is being merged with another company and we're being combined into the same building. No worries about layoffs or anything like that, but other company's core hours started at 8 and mine started at 9, they apparently decided to split the difference and force everyone to start work by 8:30 forcing me to get up earlier and deal with worse traffic. A minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, but all the little things about working here are getting worse all the time. I plan on not doing any work before 9 out of protest.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
It turns out those customer survey things they send out really do get read. We had two items stuck at another company for weeks with no updates when I asked and no reason for why they were hanging on to them for so long. They sent out a customer satisfaction survey and I sorta laid into them. Got a phone call about it.

First time I’ve had real issues with them, they’re usually great so I didn’t feel great complaining but what was I supposed to tell our end users

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hotel Kpro posted:

It turns out those customer survey things they send out really do get read. We had two items stuck at another company for weeks with no updates when I asked and no reason for why they were hanging on to them for so long. They sent out a customer satisfaction survey and I sorta laid into them. Got a phone call about it.

First time I’ve had real issues with them, they’re usually great so I didn’t feel great complaining but what was I supposed to tell our end users

Just remember, anything less than a 10/10 is used as a reason to fire the employee, so only do this if you actually hope that you can contribute to your contact losing their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How likely are you to recommend (thing) to others? 0, I don't recommend anything that contains NPS surveys on principle.