Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Elderbean posted:

Question about the GALANT. Is the optional computer holder large/strong enough to support a big tower like a 650D? Is there another one on the market that can. Bonus points if it's not hideous.

This isn't what you asked for, but if you have the square footage, get a piece of furniture. I use something similar to this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10198411/#/90198412

It places the PC a little high, but the extra horizontal space, wheels, and storage make it worth it. The table helps to mask the cables sprouting out of the back of the PC. Plus the darn thing is so quiet to begin with, I don't mind it being elevated a little over a foot above the ground.

Or, just assemble the bottom part, and leave the sides and top off. Find a clever way to cover the drill holes. And still have a little extra space on the surface for other stuff. Way more stable than one of those PC holders with wheels, unless you think you're going to broadside your PC with the back of your hand someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

duomo posted:

I've had an NZXT H2 on the Summera without any issues (no creaking or warping) for about a year now, but that case is 5 pounds lighter than the 650D.

Yeah, but the 650D is like 25lb with no PSU or hardware inside. They used to have those Summera tower holders at a company I did some work for and almost everyone of them was mangled somehow. Like I said, maybe they've re-engineered the design?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Ikea LACK side table supremacy

If you are limiting yourself to Ikea, you could also buy an appropriate sized shelf and these feet which come in 4" or 8" to keep the tower up off the floor for dirt cheap.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations for a bluetooth receiver that would work well for using Apple peripherals on Windows 7 (and possibly Linux in the future when I finally get loving fed up with Windows)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Sorry, I'm asking a million questions about desks. Has anyone used the Expedit workstation. I thought about pushing it against a wall and mounting my monitors on said wall to free up space. I like the shelving unit a lot.

IKEA has so many options. I might also give this a try.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2013

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Elderbean posted:

Question about the GALANT. Is the optional computer holder large/strong enough to support a big tower like a 650D? Is there another one on the market that can. Bonus points if it's not hideous.

I had a Mac Pro on a SUMMERA for a year, it worked great. Not sure how that compares to a 650D, but Mac Pros are pretty huge and heavy.

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!

Commander Keenan posted:

I like to keep it clean.

I saw those cacodemon plushies last week, I want one now again, jealous!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hole punch + electrical tape makes for a great LED dimmer. And by dimmer I mean extinguisher.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hole punch + electrical tape makes for a great LED dimmer. And by dimmer I mean extinguisher.

My god this is brilliant.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Coredump posted:

My god this is brilliant.

Basically the same as http://www.lightdims.com/ I bought a wack of these when they had a Christmas sale.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply they're any better than those lightdims, just that it's easier to find in a pinch :)

Actually those lightdims are probably better since they don't actually block out 100% of the light. But honestly I'm fine with some lights being gone. I don't know why my receiver has a bright blue led to tell me it's working when it also has a character display, etc.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 7, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply they're any better than those lightdims, just that it's easier to find in a pinch :)

Actually those lightdims are probably better since they don't actually block out 100% of the light. But honestly I'm fine with some lights being gone. I don't know why my receiver has a bright blue led to tell me it's working when it also has a character display, etc.

I like monitor LED's. "Hey, I'm going to be blindingly bright to let you know that this huge bright rectangle above me is on".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I like monitor LED's. "Hey, I'm going to be blindingly bright to let you know that this huge bright rectangle above me is on".

If the LED only came on when the monitor was sleeping that would probably be much less annoying. Thankfully my monitor has a specific control to let me turn the LED off :smug:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Raikiri posted:

Are they battery operated? Only ones I've seen are and and it seems like you'd be changing them every 2 minutes.

Bringing up a really old post here, but how has this desk solution worked out for you? I notice that you've gone directly over a radiator which makes me suspect that either the top would have warped as a result of this, or you've turned the radiator off and just use an electric heater to warm the room instead? I've been contemplating something similar myself, so thought I'd see how it's worked out for you.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm curious too. Has anyone else used a countertop as a desk? I like the trestles too.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Elderbean posted:

I'm curious too. Has anyone else used a countertop as a desk? I like the trestles too.

My desk is a countertop from Ikea. It looks really nice.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70124083/

I have it attached to a 2x4 at the back that is mounted to the wall, and two black legs also from Ikea.

I found the counter in the 'bang & dent' section with a scratch on it for $40, and the legs are (I think) $5 each.

It's a nice 8' desk for about $50. You'll need to spend more if you want drawers and such. I put two short filing cabinets under it I got from work for free.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

KaboomzZz posted:

I saw those cacodemon plushies last week, I want one now again, jealous!

They're in the Bethesda Store for $15!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Finished painting and finally setting up my bedroom a couple of weeks ago. Figured it's a good time to post here before it starts to get messy as poo poo again.

The tabletop and trestles are both IKEA (as is, like, 60% of everything in the first picture) and cost about $35 total ($45 when you include some cans of orange spraypaint). I wanted it to scream a little less 'IKEA' so I painted the originally black/gray trestles orange back in July and everything's been holding up fine so far. No complaints about the tabletop and the desk feels quite sturdy. I could have spent more and gone with the GALANT but I wanted something smaller and less "office-y." On the whole, I'm quite happy with the result.

Brownie points for the first person to tell me what American movie that poster's for. :eng101:

Yes, I'm aware that yoga balls do jack poo poo for your core. I like mine because it keeps me from drifting off and doesn't take up a lotta room. I have a chair nearby in case I get tired. Also living like poo poo and all that jive, waitin' for some new cables from Monoprice before I take care of that situation.

The cat is usually covered up with a Spotify window but he never stops judging.

A shot without the monitors making my iPhone camera go all nuts.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 10, 2013

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
That is a beautiful cat background, do you have a source? :allears: I can offer you mine as a trade:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Selklubber posted:

That is a beautiful cat background, do you have a source? :allears: I can offer you mine as a trade:

This is the best I can do, you might have to do a little googling.

abstemious
May 20, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Brownie points for the first person to tell me what American movie that poster's for. :eng101:

Would guess the Searchers. More embarrassed that I recognise the curtains as coming from ikea though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

abstemious posted:

Would guess the Searchers. More embarrassed that I recognise the curtains as coming from ikea though.

Sousakusha is "Searcher", so I think that's right.

As for my desktop area...

Got a new Hackintosh Haswell PC I built, running Mavericks, a Macbook Air and a Surface RT I use for Windows 8 development stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

abstemious posted:

Correct! :eng101:...and also correct :eng99: . At some point in the near future I might replace them....I love IKEA but there are too many big decor items in my apartment that are just too obviously from there.

Like, if it were the desk or the curtains or the stereo console, then fine. But when all three of them are IKEA, then I start to get kinda self-conscious.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 11, 2013

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Correct! :eng101:...and also correct :eng99: . At some point in the near future I might replace them....I love IKEA but there are too many big decor items in my apartment that are just too obviously from there.

Like, if it were the desk or the curtains or the stereo console, then fine. But when all three of them are IKEA, then I start to get kinda self-conscious.

Don't forget the trash can!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cstine posted:

Don't forget the trash can!

And the desk lamp.

And the (not pictured) MANDAL chest of drawers that I got used for $40. It was the old version with black drawers instead of white and was all jacked up, so I refinished it and painted the drawers apple green.

:smithicide:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do you like those Lerberg trestles?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elderbean posted:

How do you like those Lerberg trestles?

They're pretty fantastic. They're sturdy and level and sleek looking and they hold up a surface as well as you could ask of any such device.

The only tiny downside is that there aren't any holes for fastening them to a tabletop, but nothing really moves around once you get the desk set up- especially after you put heavier things like monitors/etc. on top. My desk feels really solid and I'd have to give it a really strong shove (like the kind that might tip a screwed-together desk over) to move the parts around. In any case, it's a pretty negligible complaint when you consider how wonderfully inexpensive they are.

TLDR- I like 'em a lot.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 11, 2013

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is the best I can do, you might have to do a little googling.

Cool, thank you. :)

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Spent some time the other night cleaning and finally tied up all those god drat wires. :argh:

Evening:

Night:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Cleaned up desk a bit so that I'm able to keep both personal and work laptop on it, if for some reason I actually need it:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

IKEA hack desk:

The most boring corner of my place... I need some posters or something over there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ShaneB posted:

IKEA hack desk:

The most boring corner of my place... I need some posters or something over there.

What shelf did you put on top of those legs? Also where in the catalog can you get the kitty because I didn't see it listed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Coredump posted:

What shelf did you put on top of those legs? Also where in the catalog can you get the kitty because I didn't see it listed.

KATTEN 911.069.420

The shelf is the EKBY HEMNES 46 7/8 x 11" 301.798.74 on top of CAPITA 4" legs 200.545.63

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hadn't thought of a franken-shelf. I may have to steal that idea...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK I put a print up

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
And an Instagram filter too, it seems.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

And an Instagram filter too, it seems.

"sorry"

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
This should be easier to see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Try pointing your camera away from the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PYF pic of JJ Abrams' home editing bay