Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Not that it's relevant but what the hey, look what I found for $5. It appears about 1950s.

Looks to be a Truetone model D2603 from roughly 1946-1947.

If you need the schematics, this site appears to have them:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/western_au_truetone_d2603.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SIr_Lienad posted:

Looks to be a Truetone model D2603 from roughly 1946-1947.

If you need the schematics, this site appears to have them:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/western_au_truetone_d2603.html

Wow! Thanks! I don't have means to thank you RN except to tell you to look at these.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I picked up an SX-727 today for $100. I like the warm sound of the x2x series more than the SX-750 I have. I'll post a pic or two once I get the bulbs replaced. About half are burned out.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Does anyone here have experience with the Fluance RT85? Im looking to get a decent turntable in the $600 range. On paper it punches above its weight and reviews seem good, but I’m curious if anyone on here has used one.

Also looking at the Debut Carbon Esprit and I’m torn between the two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hattersmad posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the Fluance RT85? Im looking to get a decent turntable in the $600 range. On paper it punches above its weight and reviews seem good, but I’m curious if anyone on here has used one.

Also looking at the Debut Carbon Esprit and I’m torn between the two.

I’d toss the UTurn Orbit Custom or Special there too. Personally I can’t stand the weight-based antiskate on the ProJect, my ex has (had?) one and the thing would always fall off. The first run of Orbits had qc issues but apparently those have been sorted out. Their manufacturing is done outside Boston with component sourcing from all over the US.

Also probably put Rega there as the OG slab turntable.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

might have a situation at my new spot. namely:

what you see here is a speaker next to a radiator. the heater isn’t on yet, but come november it’ll have to be. is the speaker too close to the heater? will i have to worry about warping? anything else?

i can’t really put the speaker anywhere else, so kind of clueless what to do if this is a problem

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have one subwoofer right next to a radiator, much closer than yours is, there's nowhere else it'll fit. Radiators don't really get blazing hot, so it'll probably be fine.

I've never had any issues with furniture in close proximity to radiators.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Replacing the lights in an SX-727:

Step 1

Step 2

The lights for the radio signal were a total pain in the rear end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've decided I want to replace my Visonik HIFI CEC 8200 turntable. Unfortunately there is some play in the tonearm bearings, for which the official fix is "adjustment is not possible, replace the entire tonearm assembly".

So I've been considering which turntable to look for. My turntable ownership history is a Thorens TD-105 MkII, a Technics SL-1500, a Technics SL-1210 MkII and the mentioned Visonik (a rebranded CEC Chuo Denki DD-8200). I was considering going fully oldschool fully manual belt-drive steam-powered snooty audiophile approved, or a Bang & Olufsen of some type, but then I came to my senses.

I've realized that I want a turntable that is really good, well-built and reliable, but also utterly offensive to snooty audiophiles. So far I've landed on the Technics SL-QD33, because it's late-80s/early-90s, relatively lightweight, no wood in sight, direct drive, fully automatic and uses P-mount cartridges. And there's one for sale locally at a decent price.

Is it possible to hit even more anti-audiophile points, without going whole hog on a Crosley or something similar?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 10, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have an SL-Q202 and I like it a lot. I don't know if it hits all this points you mentioned, but I like that it's outside of the bubble for the more desirable dj versions while still essentially being the same thing as far as just playing records is concerned.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While I was checking out automatic P-mount turntables, I went and looked at a JVC QL-A2, which was their sort of mid-range late-70s direct-drive quartz-locked auto-return model. Various people online seem to regard them rather well, and since they don't say "Technics" on the front, you can usually get them at a reasonable price. And it looked pretty good and was in good working order, so I ended up buying it for ~$80.

I got it home and gave it a good clean, and the cloth I used should tell you everything:

:nms:

I hate smokers, but unfortunately that's par for the course for 60s/70s gear.

Underneath the grime, the turntable looked quite good! Obviously there's a bit of scuffing on the dust cover, but that's to be expected. I quite like the design, it's nice and clean. The metalhead in me likes the somewhat gnarly strobe teeth on the platter edge.

It really is 100% stock, it even has the original Z1S cartridge. I was originally going to put my Ortofon OM10 from my current turntable on it, but I've decided I want to keep the original, so I ordered a replacement stylus (elliptical, rather than the original conical). It works OK with the current stylus, but I have no idea how old it is, and the cantilever is a bit bent.

Now I just need to figure out which turntable(s) to keep, when the SL-QD33 shows up :v:

E: And if anyone has any tips on how to "un-smoke" a dust cover, that would be swell.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 12, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

While I was checking out automatic P-mount turntables, I went and looked at a JVC QL-A2, which was their sort of mid-range late-70s direct-drive quartz-locked auto-return model. Various people online seem to regard them rather well, and since they don't say "Technics" on the front, you can usually get them at a reasonable price. And it looked pretty good and was in good working order, so I ended up buying it for ~$80.

I got it home and gave it a good clean, and the cloth I used should tell you everything:

:nms:

I hate smokers, but unfortunately that's par for the course for 60s/70s gear.

Underneath the grime, the turntable looked quite good! Obviously there's a bit of scuffing on the dust cover, but that's to be expected. I quite like the design, it's nice and clean. The metalhead in me likes the somewhat gnarly strobe teeth on the platter edge.

It really is 100% stock, it even has the original Z1S cartridge. I was originally going to put my Ortofon OM10 from my current turntable on it, but I've decided I want to keep the original, so I ordered a replacement stylus (elliptical, rather than the original conical). It works OK with the current stylus, but I have no idea how old it is, and the cantilever is a bit bent.

Now I just need to figure out which turntable(s) to keep, when the SL-QD33 shows up :v:

E: And if anyone has any tips on how to "un-smoke" a dust cover, that would be swell.

It depends on the type of plastic, but I've had varying degrees of success with "retr0bright"
https://www.howtogeek.com/196687/ask-htg-why-do-old-computers-and-game-consoles-turn-yellow/

Not sure how well that would work on acrylic/plexiglass though

I've heard all sorts of different homebrew methods for cleaning acrylic from lemon pledge to headlight polish.
I've used motorcycle visor cleaner but not to remove smoke damage.

Maybe this?
https://www.eplastics.com/blog/how-to-clean-plexiglass-acrylic

e: VVV yes, Purple Power and NuFinish was one of the homebrew solutions I've heard before.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 12, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

scrub it with a de-greaser and then polish with novus

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Will a good polish take off the smoke, it doesn't go deeper into the plastic than that?

Sounds like I need to get my polishin' supplies out from the basement, then :q:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Will a good polish take off the smoke, it doesn't go deeper into the plastic than that?

Sounds like I need to get my polishin' supplies out from the basement, then :q:

Not just polish and probably not if the plastic is deeply discolored.
You should post pics.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tar and nicotine should just come off acrylic with water and dish soap. I don't know what's actually going on here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, it is from ~1978, and who knows what the previous owners used to clean it. If they used something with ammonia in it, that could discolor it, same thing happens on LCD monitors.

I used ammonia-free window cleaner, my go-to for this sort of thing, and while it did take off all the dirt, the plastic itself is slightly yellowed. I'm not going to go crazy and try to make it look like brand new, it's 40 years old.

I also got an SL-QD33 delivered today, and it's in even better condition than the pictures showed, all-original with the P30 cartridge. Now I have to make a decision on which one I keep. I'll put new styli on both and compare which one I like the best, but it'll be a close call.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 14, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Are you sure it’s not originally supposed to be smoked/darkened? Maybe it’s a coating that’s looking bad/reacting after decades.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not sure, and I'm not gonna gently caress it up too much, just a bit of a polish.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got the Technics SL-QD33 set up, and oh man it's also a really nice 'table.

Absolutely great condition aside from the usual scratches in the dust cover, and it works beautifully. Stock Technics P30 cartridge with an original stylus, and some life left in it. All the auto functions work great.

I've ordered new styli for both the JVC and the Technics (upgraded elliptical versions), and I'll have to play around with them to see which one I like the best.

I've already ordered an Ortofon OMT P-mount cartridge on eBay to play around with, since it takes modern OM styli, so I guess I've already made up my mind :ssh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up some ugly speakers today

Prying off the trim revealed the original cabinets are in tact. Someone just built their own cabinet around them

Missing the speaker badges, but the rear tells me what they are

I still have problems with them though. They sound... awful. The foam surrounds are missing, but the sound is so muffled that I think something else is wrong too. I don't think the tweeters are working, either. So I don't really know what I'll do with these. :sigh:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

wa27 posted:

I picked up some ugly speakers today

Prying off the trim revealed the original cabinets are in tact. Someone just built their own cabinet around them

Missing the speaker badges, but the rear tells me what they are

I still have problems with them though. They sound... awful. The foam surrounds are missing, but the sound is so muffled that I think something else is wrong too. I don't think the tweeters are working, either. So I don't really know what I'll do with these. :sigh:

These are my all time favorite speakers. They’re worth fixing up if you have the gumption.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah they’re not insanely valuable but still quite sought after. Worth repairing

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Plus there’s a ton of info out there on them. Make a post on Audiokarma and you’ll have all the help you need within minutes. The people who like Advents REALLY like them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you're an acoustic suspension/sealed cabinet enthusiast, nothing else will suffice.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Plus, bonus gravy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I ordered a set of Magnepan .7's but am having a hard time putting my Infinity 6Kappa up for a *reasonable* price. Hopefully I come to my senses once the Maggies arrive, I don't really have the space for this many speakers.

Also, holy gently caress I'm excited to have Magnepans again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got the Ortofon P-mount cartridge I ordered, and put it on the SL-QD33 with the still relatively new Stylus 10 from my old turntable. As expected, it sounds hella awesome. Maybe it's an unfair comparison to the original Technics cartridge with a stylus of unknown age and condition, but I've always been happy with the Ortofon OM sound and the fact that I can still get brand-new original styli for them.

Pro tip for anyone wanting to put an Ortofon P-mount cartridge on their turntables: The OMP and OMT cartridges are completely identical, similar to the OM and OMB (bulk packaged) half-inch carts. The OMT appears to have been the bulk-packaged version sold to OEMs, but as everyone just searches for the OMP, it sells for 2/3rds or even half price in comparison.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I finally plugged in my marantz stack. So much walnut.

https://youtu.be/tTYDuTcWk8k

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

my turn in the barrel posted:

:popeye::drat:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Classy!

Your Lissajous pattern is out of phase, though.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

my turn in the barrel posted:

That sounds wonderful.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

not being a hater at all but I always thought those feature badges were ugly as hell. the one on that marantz turntable is especially heinous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Went over the JVC QL-A2 again and replaced the stylus with the fancy new elliptical (and orange!) one I ordered.

It spins Yngwie Malmsteen nicely, but it still needs some new feet, since the rubber in the original ones is completely dry rotted. I've ordered some nice aluminum feet with thick rubber dampening rings on eBay, which should do the trick.

Now I just need to decide whether I want to sell it, or use it with the Akai receiver I'm fixing up. Together with some nice vintage speakers, it would make for a kick-rear end old-school stereo.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Classy!

Your Lissajous pattern is out of phase, though.

I have never put that much effort into figuring out the scope settings on the 150.

I know it does Tuning/stereo/quad displays but I don't use the tuner or scope most of the time.

Usually I just have the 510m and the 3200 on and am using Phono, Ipod or Bluetooth.

I do have a few other setups.

Other most used one is a Marantz 1180DC with the same Esinkin BT Adapter, Panasonic SL-N15 turntable and an MCM Remote Line Level controller plugged in between the pre out and main in on the 1180DC.

https://youtu.be/1Qqfirzg09Q

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Ok, I've got an issue with my Kenwood KD-64F turntable. It's been great, but it has issues with any vinyl I get that's translucent. It's got a light on it that senses if the record it's playing is a 45 or 33 and adjusts speed and arm position based on that, but with records where you can see through the disc, it either assumes that it's a 45 or doesn't see that a disc is on at all and refuses to play.

Anyone else ever run into this, and if so, is there a way to turn this off? My first thought was to put electrical tape over the light and see if that just defaults everything to being a 33 but figured I'd check with you guys first.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All auto size-sensing turntables I've seen have some way of defeating the sensor and put it to manual mode. Some have switches, some require you to turn the platter mat 45 or 90 degrees to block the holes for the sensor, some do it if you start them in a particular manner, such as raising the tonearm with the cue button/lever before pressing start.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Thanks, I'll take a closer look tonight and see if any of those tricks work!

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey friends, I'm in the market for a new turntable, as I'm moving and my roommate is taking ours. I've been using an Audio Technica LP60 and it's been a great starter turntable, but I'd like to get something more serious this time. I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible.

I'd like to get a turntable that will last me a while and that I can upgrade when the time comes. Ideally, I'd really like something with a natural wood look, that is really minimal and has few if any dials and knobs and lights on it. It doesn't need to have many features, really I only need it to turn on and play 33/45 rpm records, as long as it is well-built and sounds good doing so; manual operation is fine.

Actually, looking back at the recent page or two, the U-Turn Orbit Special seems to be perfect for what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd get opinions on it as I hadn't heard of it at all before Electric Bugaloo mentioned it. Anyone else have thoughts about it?

As for my set-up, I only have a Sonos speaker that I inherited which I plan to plug into for the time being. As such, is it best for me to get the built-in phono preamp, or should I go for an external one to jump through? Is the Pluto preamp from U-Turn any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I finally found a vintage tape deck that doesn't look terrible with my Pioneer and only cost $10! Yay!

Boo: it works intermittently. Playback is largely fine, but when I rewind or fast forward it will occasionally stop, or start quickly and then slow down almost to a crawl. Is that a relatively easy fix? I tried searching online for info about similar problems but I don't know tape deck terminology enough to figure it out.