Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Wahad posted:

So I want to try making beef rendang soon, because it's probably my favorite Indonesian food, and I'm looking for a good recipe. Anybody have any suggestions?

Someone in the dinner thread made it recently and said he used this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/2/

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm making tofu this weekend. Does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when for making it?

Make as much as you can from the size pot you have because the yield is pretty small. To make medium to firm tofu, use half a pound of beans to 8 cups water and that yield would just be about one meal's worth of tofu with rice and veg. Fresh tofu fried up is so good I could probably just sit down and eat a pound of beans worth alone and just eat that. Be sure you are not filling your pot to capacity though because it foams up a lot when you boil the ground up beans to make the soy milk.

Once you get the hang of it, add a bunch of ground up lemongrass or some sauteed onion and fermented black bean to the curd before pressing. So good fried up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangry jeep
Apr 27, 2004

I bought a bison top sirloin steak for tonight. I've never cooked bison before. Normally, I just take a normal beef steak, salt and pepper, sear both sides on cast iron, and finish it in the oven for 2.5 mins both sides.

Any simple, yummy recipes for bison steak? I just know it cooks faster than beef.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Since I like turtles lives in Tucson, he can buy Alesmith at Bevmo. Or at least you could when I lived there, which was a number of years ago; I doubt things have changed. I don't know if they have a restaurant, but if they don't, Alesmith is perfectly accessible in Tucson. I don't remember if the other beers are available in Tucson, though...if they have any distribution outside of San Diego at all I'd bet they are.

Still, they make tasty beer so drink some on tap if you can.

Actually it looks like I can get all three of the ones Gravity suggested.

I obviously have some research to do at the beer store. :feelsgood:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
My fiance is being induced a week from today and I'd like to spend a little time this weekend preparing some stuff where I can just throw it in the chest freezer and it be easy to pop into the oven and reheat. I don't want to get stuck eating take-out. I was thinking maybe a lasagna, though I'd probably freeze it in smaller portions. Maybe some enchiladas? I'm thinking maybe 2 weeks worth of meals, give or take a little bit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I've found that the beans in enchiladas suffer from being frozen. Spanikopita freezes well, as do 90%+ of soups. Quiche freezes well, and a lot of casseroles will do fine (mac and cheese casserole with breadcrumbs on top, served hot with cold salsa on it, is a great go-to). Little pre-measured bags of cooked pasta will be quick and easy to deal with.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

My fiance is being induced a week from today and I'd like to spend a little time this weekend preparing some stuff where I can just throw it in the chest freezer and it be easy to pop into the oven and reheat. I don't want to get stuck eating take-out. I was thinking maybe a lasagna, though I'd probably freeze it in smaller portions. Maybe some enchiladas? I'm thinking maybe 2 weeks worth of meals, give or take a little bit.

Those would both work. Also soups, tamales, shepherd's pie, chile verde for serving over rice, etc.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is a good post.

Also are you home now and can give me that pickle recipe?

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. Here you go, I've added my personal opinions on the recipe and how I do it differently in parentheses.

Fuchsia Dunlop posted:

Brine:
2.25 cups water
1/4 cup sea salt
4 dried chilies (not enough, I would add more, I would also grind them)
1/2 teaspoon whole Sichual peppercorn (I would toast this first)
2 tsp strong rice wine or vodka
1/2 star anise
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled (and rough sliced)
a chunk of cassia or 1/3 of a cinnamon stick

Basically, bring brine to a boil, add all spices, let brine cool. Put cleaned and prepped veg into a clean, sanitized wide mouthed jar, add cooled brine. Fashion some sort of method to keep the veg under the brine surface, I use a sandwich bag filled with more brine. Let ferment in a cool, dark place. Takes about a week at first to ferment, you can always replenish the veg to the old brine and it will take a bit less time in consecutive batches this way, as the fermenting yeasts and bacteria will already be present in large quantities. If you choose to reuse the brine, you will need to top off with more "fresh" brine as the salt levels will change, and the brine will evaporate, etc. over time.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 6, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's 1/4 cup salt, then?

It's a good recipe - I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way at all. And it should work for all vegetables to include leafy greans, correct? Also, once you put the bag covered with brine on top of the jar, do you then seal the top of the jar or put a lid or something on, or are we hoping that natural airborne yeasts will find their way in?

Anyway thanks. If I get this worked out I am going to be eating so much of this stuff.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's 1/4 cup salt, then?

It's a good recipe - I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way at all. And it should work for all vegetables to include leafy greans, correct? Also, once you put the bag covered with brine on top of the jar, do you then seal the top of the jar or put a lid or something on, or are we hoping that natural airborne yeasts will find their way in?

Anyway thanks. If I get this worked out I am going to be eating so much of this stuff.

derp, yeah 1/4 cup. Fixed. I think it is plantborne yeasts/bac, so I wouldn't worry about keeping the top open. I would cover it loosely, to keep the flies and mold spores off. Tightly fitting the lid might lead to explosions. Maybe just rest the lid on top but don't screw?

She recommends daikon, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower. I think more robust fleshed things take better to the pickle, but give leafies a try, why not. I've done pickled watermelon rind in this way (for an ICSA actually).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Awesome. Gonna make a pickle.

dad.
Apr 25, 2010

poop device posted:

This...was much more educational than I had hoped. I had been able to find little more than some vague references to amylase and diastase. I had thought maltose was like fish flakes for yeast. You've been a great help!

Also, I realize that mills add malted barley to balance their flour but is it sort of a general purpose balance, and might not be suited to all bread products?
There's an enzyme released that breaks down maltose into simpler sugars. Any malty flavor you get Is residual characteristics of the source as well as Sugars not fully oken down.

What other purpose for malting a flour would there be?

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

dad. posted:

There's an enzyme released that breaks down maltose into simpler sugars. Any malty flavor you get Is residual characteristics of the source as well as Sugars not fully oken down.

What other purpose for malting a flour would there be?

I may be sounding dumb here, but do all bread products benefit equally from that same flour/malt ratio? Are there no circumstances where a bread might be a better bread with a different ratio?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

poop device posted:

in short: How do I get the hulls off of malted barley? And is this a viable thing for baking bread?

How about wheat malt? Malt flavor and diastatic power, but no husks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Don't let these foodies keep you from enjoying a Racer 5 or whatever the hell else you want.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hey, so, I have a jar of hot peppers in oil (from olives that I picked myself!) and I'd like to turn them into some hot-as-hell paste. How do I go about preserving it? I mean, would it work if I just put them in the food processor along with some salt and oil, then in a jar and leave it in the fridge? How long would it be ok to preserve for?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
This goes back a few posts, but it is worth mentioning that before WW II, American beer was the best you could get. Even after prohibition, the beers made in the states were very sought after and won tons of awards. During WW II however, grain rations started, and all the best grains went to the troops. We went from over 1000 individual breweries in the us before prohibition to around 500 after prohibition and by 1980 we only had 80 or so breweries in the US.

That number has shot up over the past decade and a half and we have over 1500 breweries in the US now, some of which are really stellar.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Phummus posted:

This goes back a few posts, but it is worth mentioning that before WW II, American beer was the best you could get. Even after prohibition, the beers made in the states were very sought after and won tons of awards. During WW II however, grain rations started, and all the best grains went to the troops. We went from over 1000 individual breweries in the us before prohibition to around 500 after prohibition and by 1980 we only had 80 or so breweries in the US.

That number has shot up over the past decade and a half and we have over 1500 breweries in the US now, some of which are really stellar.

Seriously? My favorite beer is Dutch (Grolsch) and they started brewing it in 1615. It's not the oldest brewery by far, and when regarding the entire European Union, it's probably not the best either, but it's tastier than any "simple" beer I can get my hands on.
Name a few (or one) of your favorite American beers, so I can start searching for it and give it a try! :-) (seriously, I know there's a beer-shoppe not too far from here that carries as many brands as he can, so I just might be able to find ..well, anything! (and I love me some new beers!))

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Is there a Deep Fryer recipes thread, kinda like the slow cooker one?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

paraquat posted:

Name a few (or one) of your favorite American beers, so I can start searching for it and give it a try!

If you enjoy pale lagers like Grolsch, give Victory's Prima Pils a try. Lagunitas also makes a tasty Pils. Heck, Sierra Nevada's Summerfest is a nice lager also. And anything from any of those breweries is well worth it.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

paraquat posted:

Seriously? My favorite beer is Dutch (Grolsch) and they started brewing it in 1615. It's not the oldest brewery by far, and when regarding the entire European Union, it's probably not the best either, but it's tastier than any "simple" beer I can get my hands on.
Name a few (or one) of your favorite American beers, so I can start searching for it and give it a try! :-) (seriously, I know there's a beer-shoppe not too far from here that carries as many brands as he can, so I just might be able to find ..well, anything! (and I love me some new beers!))

Off the top of my head anything from Founders brewery is good. I have a soft spot for Yuengling, as its one of the oldest and geographically closest breweries to me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

Depends on what you like and how spergy you want to be. There will likely be some beers you just can't get your hands on but I'll throw some recs into the ring. Beer is quite varied from style to style, and Grolsch is a very plain and simple style, and not even the best example of that style.

Anyway, I'll give a simple shpeal because based on your tone you don't know much about beer, apologies if this is condescending or something you know already, and apologies to those who know more because I'll probably just keep it shortish and simple.

There are two main categories of beer as per yeast:

Ales - quick, "warm" (relatively), and top fermented beers whose yeasts lend fruity, sometimes bready, sometimes spicy elements to the beer. This is the majority of the American craft brew market. Hefeweizen, pale ale, IPA, stout, porter, Belgians (Dubbel, Tripel, Saison, etc), all of the British beers, etc.

Lagers - slow (aka lagered), cold, and bottom fermeted beers whose yeasts profiles are restrained at best, sometimes bready, crisp. This is the majority of cheap American domestic beer, or cheap otherworld beers like Tsingtao, Modelo, Corona, Heineken, and your Grolsch.

Beer can also be categorized as per malt. The grain used is sprouted then roasted to stop the germination process. Depending on the deepness of the roast, different flavors and colors can be added to the beer. Light roasting will lend a biscuity, toasty, bready flavor and is the majority if not all of the grain bill for lagers and blond ales. Medium roasting will give you caramel and raisin flavors and will also boost mouthfeel and head retention and is used in conjunction with light malts in ambers, reds, dubbels, pale ales, IPAs, etc. Deep roasts will give bitter chocolate and coffee flavors, to burnt flavors, and will make the beer a dark mahogany color. Dark roasts are used in porters, stouts, scottish strong ales, schwarzbier, etc.

Then there are hops. Hops add bitterness at a simple level of understanding but they also play on floral and spicy characteristics that can temper the sweet foundation of the malt and the characteristics of the yeast. All beer contains hops, and some people think they don't like them but in reality it's that they don't like some varieties or they don't care for an aggressive application of them. Beer without hops is actually pretty gross tasting. Contrary to what a lot of newcomers think, pale ales and India Pale Ales (IPA) aren't very beginner friendly because of their assertive hoppiness.

On to recommendations!

American beers to try that will likely be easy to find:

Ales:
Pale Ale: Mirror Pond - Deschutes Brewing, Fresh Hop Pale - Great Divide
IPA: IPA - Alesmith, Racer 5 - Bear Republic, Blind Pig - Russian River, (and it pains me to say) IPA - Stone
Brown Ale: Moose Drool - Big Sky, Nautical Nut Brown - Alesmith, Hazelnut Brown - Rogue
Porters/Stouts: Speedway Stout - Alesmith, Chocolate Stout - Rogue, Black Butte Porter - Deschutes
Belgians: Almost anything Lost Abbey or Russian River or Ommegang
Wheat Beers: I'm not a big fan of American wheat beers, I think the Germans own us pretty hard in this category, check out Franziskaner and Paulaner.

Lagers, I'm not a big fan of lagers, so my recs here will be limited:
Pilsner: Saphir Pils - Victory, Victory as a whole makes nice lagers, actually.
Schwarzbier: 1554 - New Belgium (contrary to what their bottle says, this is a schwarzbier not a black ale, it uses a lager yeast)
Vienna: The ubiquitous Samuel Adams Boston Lager, believe it or not, is a very good and widely available example of a Vienna Lager (I'm gonna get hated on for this)

Sours get their fermentation flavor not only from yeast but from lactobacillus bacteria and sometimes some funkiness from a different yeast called Brettanomyces. These will be quite expensive if you're used to buying Grolsch (so will the Belgians up in the ale section), but they may be your thing. They will more emulate wines, ciders, and everything in between, than most people's conception of beer. Nevertheless, any sour from Lost Abbey, Russian River, Ommegang, or Jolly Pumpkin should be good.

Then there are the big boys. The beers people wait in line at 6 AM to buy cases of on release days and sell out within minutes. The same ones that show up on ebay an hour later and sell for hundreds of dollars. Yes this is a thing, really. It is doubtful you will have access to these unless you live next to the brewer or have a REALLY generous friend, but, again: Russian River, Lost Abbey, Ommegang, The Bruery, and Avery are your friends here.

Anyway, hope this helps.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 6, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Phummus posted:

Off the top of my head anything from Founders brewery is good. I have a soft spot for Yuengling, as its one of the oldest and geographically closest breweries to me.

You're right around the corner from Victory too, then; they're in Downingtown. Their brewpub is great, brick-oven pizza made with brewer's yeast and their whole catalogue plus some pub-only extras on tap.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sba posted:

:goonsay:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sba posted:

The recipe for every single deep fried food is basically "does it have skin that will get crispy? If so, deep fry. If not, batter/bread then deep fry" so I don't know if a thread for that is really helpful.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The recipe for every single deep fried food is basically "does it have skin that will get crispy? If so, deep fry. If not, batter/bread then deep fry" so I don't know if a thread for that is really helpful.

Ah, I was looking for different recipes or different things to do with the fryer I just got (other than throw random things in it like Twinkies, small pets, etc)

I know, I thought the same thing when I asked...I just got this thing so I could make decent chicken wings, having lived in Buffalo, no one can get close to those around me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Perhaps a tempura book.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Phummus and GrAviTy84, thanks for your replies, I will most definitely take a list of unknown beers to the next visit I can make to the beer shoppe in my town! :-)

Oh, and GrAviTy84, by "simple beer" I meant lager (I couldn't think of the word), it's what I drink on weekdays if I want a beer...not the best type of beer, but an easy one (Heineken, that is from my country as well, is of the same type, but I dislike it more than I can tell you ;-) )

I will be trying all the unfamiliar beers you guys mentioned eventually (as far as I can find them). German and Belgian beers are among the best, but definitely not among the unfamiliar ones (geography lesson: Grolsch country is next to the big beer countries ;-) ) But I will also provide you with the name of the best beer I know of thus far...a Belgian Beer, Westmalle Dubbel (or Double, or whatever the heck they translate it to in your neck of the woods)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 6, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you can find a local lager go for it. The difference between that and mass produced lager is night and day

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I've had some udon noodles that were gifted to me, and I want to cook them up in a soup, but I haven't found any recipes that sound very good.

Does anyone have any good udon soup recipes, preferably for cold versions?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm making steaks tonight (Steak Au Poivre, specifically), and I'm at somewhat of a loss for what to do for my primary side. I've done fries way too often with this, and I don't want to do rice as I'm serving that like 4 times this week. I'm also serving a green salad. Ideas?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm making steaks tonight (Steak Au Poivre, specifically), and I'm at somewhat of a loss for what to do for my primary side. I've done fries way too often with this, and I don't want to do rice as I'm serving that like 4 times this week. I'm also serving a green salad. Ideas?

Mashed celeryroot baked with eggs?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's part of dinner on Thursday now. Thanks! :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cream eggs?

But that's a good idea I'll probably do it. Thanks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like to put blanched asparagus or something else bright green and toothsome next to my steaks, I don't know if this is correct form but I like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It is not asparagus season. It is however season for new potatoes, young celeriac, and some other young roots that might go well mashed together with some of my plethora of eggs shirred on top.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I just got a dutch oven and am making braised chicken right now. I tried to brown the chicken on the stove before I stuck it in the oven, and it didn't really BROWN, just cooked a little bit. No maillard reaction that I could see.

They were bone in skin on chicken thighs. I heated oil, sauteed some garlic, put in some onion, let that cook down, pushed it aside, then laid the chicken skin-down directly on the bottom for a while and saw nothing. Flipped to the other side to see if that would brown. Nothing. So I arranged the veggies on top, threw in a bit of chicken stock, lid on, and stuffed it in the oven.

Did I do it wrong? It's a Lodge 6qt enameled dutch oven. Should I have left it in there a lot longer? I didn't want the chicken to cook through before the braising even started. Used higher heat? The instructions that came with the oven said to use low to medium heat, and I didn't want to screw it up the first use out of the box.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Browning happens when the surface of the food hits about 300 degrees, so a hot pan will get the job done faster than a warm one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want to sear before using another cooking method, you should have the pan scorching hot. That way you put color on the food quickly, without cooking it through.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you want to sear before using another cooking method, you should have the pan scorching hot. That way you put color on the food quickly, without cooking it through.

Will that gently caress up my enameled dutch oven, or is that a CYA clause in the paperwork? I'm super paranoid about screwing up my wedding stuff. My fiancee already burned rice to the bottom of one of my all-clad pans and then stuck it in the dishwasher. Even after scrubbing, there is still a patina with little rice shapes in it inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

Will that gently caress up my enameled dutch oven, or is that a CYA clause in the paperwork? I'm super paranoid about screwing up my wedding stuff. My fiancee already burned rice to the bottom of one of my all-clad pans and then stuck it in the dishwasher. Even after scrubbing, there is still a patina with little rice shapes in it inside.

Not if it's a good one. Also why are you registering for cookware you're afraid to use properly.

And lol at fiance's all clad fail. Not too late to sever...