Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Prius prime is the result of decades of driving appliance research. If you want the cheapest to operate, most reliable road can opener, buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I would buy a bolt if it had ventilated seats

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

stevewm posted:

It's not even available everywhere yet. You can only buy it in 5(?) states right now. Though it's supposed to go nationwide in August.

Maybe that wasn't a great plan...

And

FistEnergy posted:

It's kind of ugly and apparently the interior quality is bad, but they nailed the powertrain, range, and regenerative braking and that's what actually matters.

This is same that company that gave us a Volt dressed as a Cadillac and was mad it didn't sell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What are the chances the Model 3 is going to be any better with regard to interior and build quality?

The S and X certainly don’t leave me hopeful

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I am completely conflicted about the Model 3 because the screen-only dash looks weird and awkward but the exterior styling and glass roof make me want to throw my wallet at Musk

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The exterior styling is good now? Maybe compared to a Bolt or new Prius I guess you could say that but only comparatively.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I always liked it. I think for the general shape you need to minimize resistance it's about as good as it can get.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Bolt simply looks like the dealers dont want to sell it or some stupid poo poo. 1980's compact cars all over again.

dissss posted:

What are the chances the Model 3 is going to be any better with regard to interior and build quality?

The S and X certainly don’t leave me hopeful

Pretty good, given the hiring Tesla did. A lot of emphasis on quality control management and production line speed. Plus the first Model 3's are very limited in options so they clearly know they have to get this one right so no stupidity like the falcon doors that gently caress things up.

Also seems to be the case Tesla are somewhat bettering their planned production ramp up - there's quite a few more than just the 30 that are planned to be delivered on July 28 (Something like 350 full production cars are now done?). That's a pretty good signal they are happy with whats coming off the line.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Quite a few goons see fit to talk poo poo and try to demean Tesla because Elon Musk missed a few milestones that he was wildly optimistic on.

I don't see any of you starting an electric car company from scratch and producing a mass market model.

It will be funny to see the stock shorts go belly up as the Model 3 begins to rollout.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Quite a few goons see fit to talk poo poo and try to demean Tesla because Elon Musk missed a few milestones that he was wildly optimistic on.

I don't see any of you starting an electric car company from scratch and producing a mass market model.

It will be funny to see the stock shorts go belly up as the Model 3 begins to rollout.

PBUE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Sicilian posted:

Welp looks like the bolt is making GBS threads the bed, inventories continue to build as sales fade.

Take that defenders of GM!

:lol:

The gently caress are you basing this on?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers/

:shrug:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Whoops wrong thread

blk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 19, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Is that bad for EV sold in five states? What where the sales targets?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It should be really interesting to see how things stack up at the lower end of the BEV market. In a few months we'll have the specs and prices for the Model 3 and refreshed Leaf versus the Bolt that's already out. I suspect the Bolt will look better in comparison once we actually know the stats versus what we're just imagining them to be, but who knows, Tesla might surprise.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Regardless it'd be an extremely bad time to buy right now so I'm not surprised at the Bolt dipping

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pretty sure anyone who's on the fence about getting an EV at the moment is waiting to see how the Model 3 turns out, which contributes to poor sales across the whole segment.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also seems to be the case Tesla are somewhat bettering their planned production ramp up - there's quite a few more than just the 30 that are planned to be delivered on July 28 (Something like 350 full production cars are now done?). That's a pretty good signal they are happy with whats coming off the line.

This is the first I've heard this. It's been a week and a half since Musk showed the first production vehicle. And we're another week and a half out from the delivery event, which if we just double that number, we get 700 cars being delivered in July. That's 2300% higher than they claimed would be produced, which seems a bit strange.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

Reality, and experience with GM in the past.

DoLittle posted:

Is that bad for EV sold in five states? What where the sales targets?

I said this earlier, but they expected the demand in these states to eclipse that of production capacity (taking battery constraints into consideration) and were very conservative on the rollout of the Bolt. Pretty dire decision to make when EVs are just gaining steam and the model 3; which is about to eat their lunch.

EDIT: PBUE

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
My wife works at a university in western NY and they're offering the additional $10k off sticker for a 2017 Leaf that other states/utility companys/etc have been offering earlier in the year.

- She currently drives an 02 Echo (her second Echo(echo) actually) that is worth nothing so there is no trade-in for this purchase.
- Her commute is 22miles round trip
- My commute is also ~20 miles RT
- She has the ability to charge at work*
- She would have to pay an extra $130 a year for reserve parking, up from the current $70 a year for access to the spots with chargers but they are much better parking spots.
- We currently have 3 personal vehicles, one being a summer only car. The Leaf would replace the Echo(echo).

Cost of the SV model after $10k "rebate" +$1.2k NYS rebate + tax & title is $25k out the door. Add in the $7500 federal tax credit come next ~Feburary, total cost of the car is $17.5.

My main concern is instant loss of all resale value. If the 2018 Leaf turns out to be a 180 to 250mile range, in 4 or 5 years, who would buy a 2017 model compared to a 2018? This would drive the resale 2017 and pre models into the ground. Add into that new the EV's like the Bolt and Tesla 3, these will also reduce any resale value.

So EV people, if given the chance, would you take a slight more than 50% discounted brand new SV trim Leaf knowing that the resale value will be garbage in 4-5 years?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

So EV people, if given the chance, would you take a slight more than 50% discounted brand new SV trim Leaf knowing that the resale value will be garbage in 4-5 years?

With that commute and those parking options, abso-flippin-lutely(lutely). Get a car you want own for a good while, as cheap as you can. All EVs are going to have poo poo resale after 4-5 years, a 2017 Model 3 as well, due in part to the constant development and spec wars which are well underway. If you're not stretching the budget, get the premium package as well. Nice sound system and reverse/360 camera.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It makes very little sense from a purely financial standpoint, but if she's wanting to drive something nicer, it's obviously a good option.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

Maybe that wasn't a great plan...

And

This is same that company that gave us a Volt dressed as a Cadillac and was mad it didn't sell.

The interior quality of the Bolt is way better than any Tesla I've driven.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

The interior quality of the Bolt is way better than any Tesla I've driven.

Cool story, how many bolts have you driven?

The sales number tell all there* is to know.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 21, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

borkencode posted:

This is the first I've heard this. It's been a week and a half since Musk showed the first production vehicle. And we're another week and a half out from the delivery event, which if we just double that number, we get 700 cars being delivered in July. That's 2300% higher than they claimed would be produced, which seems a bit strange.

Car makers dont deliver as they build tho - they tend to stockpile and deliver to various locations in batches. So while the first 30 will be delivered on the 28th, they will most likely shortly after get the delivery batches organised and done.

And also, the optics of a parking lot full of new Teslas will look pretty good at the delivery event, wont it?

Plus it does make sense there's more than just 30 cars - 2-3 cars a day down the line in three weeks? Nah, if the production line is doing what they want and the training is going well for employees, I can see that there's more built than the first 30

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

My wife works at a university in western NY and they're offering the additional $10k off sticker for a 2017 Leaf that other states/utility companys/etc have been offering earlier in the year.

- She currently drives an 02 Echo (her second Echo(echo) actually) that is worth nothing so there is no trade-in for this purchase.
- Her commute is 22miles round trip
- My commute is also ~20 miles RT
- She has the ability to charge at work*
- She would have to pay an extra $130 a year for reserve parking, up from the current $70 a year for access to the spots with chargers but they are much better parking spots.
- We currently have 3 personal vehicles, one being a summer only car. The Leaf would replace the Echo(echo).

Cost of the SV model after $10k "rebate" +$1.2k NYS rebate + tax & title is $25k out the door. Add in the $7500 federal tax credit come next ~Feburary, total cost of the car is $17.5.

My main concern is instant loss of all resale value. If the 2018 Leaf turns out to be a 180 to 250mile range, in 4 or 5 years, who would buy a 2017 model compared to a 2018? This would drive the resale 2017 and pre models into the ground. Add into that new the EV's like the Bolt and Tesla 3, these will also reduce any resale value.

Between the 2 year lease and the buyout, I'll pay about $24,500 for my 2013 SL (max option). Can't imagine the 2018 can affect what the resale is on these though, it is already rapid. I'd think better deals on 2017 models will pop up. Worth waiting if you can, since the commute is short enough to cover work and errands.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

The sales number tell all their is to know.

God you're insufferable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sicilian posted:

The sales number tell all their is to know.

Can you cheer for another car instead? You're making me hate my car.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

atothesquiz posted:

What's the deal with this one? Does it apply to only a purchase, not a lease?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

God you're insufferable.

Dude I couldn't care less, next.

Subjunctive posted:

Can you cheer for another car instead? You're making me hate my car.

Dumping on the Chevy bolt isn't quite "cheering" for the model s. Put me ignore if you're so inclined.

In other news I have delayed acquiring a BMW i3 due to the rumored increase in range to around 200 miles. I would easily pick one up with this range without a gas engine.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 21, 2017

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

The bolt seems to be selling just fine to me considering its limited rollout and the volt is available on the same lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

The sales number tell all there* is to know.

Pretty sure that dude has driven at least one bolt considering what his job is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If the Bolt isn't selling as well as GM anticipated, it's probably because nobody knew there was a new car out.

They had two perfectly good names for electric cars in Volt and Ampera, but instead they decided to use them both on one car (the Ampera is what the Volt is called in Europe). So now we're stuck with GM USA selling the Volt and the Bolt, and GM Europe selling the Ampera and Ampera-E. Clear as mud.

:downsgun:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They should have named it the testi.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
There's tons of available electrical names. Resistance? Reactance? Impedance? Inductor? Capacitor? Diode? Hell, even Chevy Switch sounds kinda good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

There's tons of available electrical names. Resistance? Reactance? Impedance? Inductor? Capacitor? Diode? Hell, even Chevy Switch sounds kinda good.

I don't think they want anybody mentioning switches and chevy in the same breath.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Chevrolet Ohm. Sell it to the yoga crowd.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty sure that dude has driven at least one bolt considering what his job is

That's my point, there's a possibility GM sent him a ringer that was specially looked after from the factory line to press evaluation.

Making comments that amount to the Bolt's interior being better than any Tesla interior is A. an opinion & B. somewhat of a provocative one he's treating as objectively right.

Agree to disagree, the Bolt is not a compelling offering.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 21, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Or you could just stop. You don't like it. Fine. I don't either, but I don't need to be making unfounded accusations to back up my opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's a conspiracy y'all :tinfoil: :downsgun:

• Locked thread