Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They have to be right in the middle of the Worst and Most Successful pop punk Venn diagram circles, right? I can’t think of another band who was as bad as them who was also as big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm a Tove Lo fan but I hate mopey covers of Dancing On My Own. The irony is the entire point!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Let’s gooo!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 14, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taylor released an album for my birthday :blessed:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

They have to be right in the middle of the Worst and Most Successful pop punk Venn diagram circles, right? I can’t think of another band who was as bad as them who was also as big.

Nah Blink have multiple great albums

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last album of theirs I really liked was Neighborhoods, which was also the last album with Tom. Everything after (including this new single) is not for me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It's the 25th anniversary of Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/impossible-princesse-kylie-minogue-elles/

An ahead of the curve move of posters heading into indie territory (in this case lots of trip-hop) but in the 90s the reaction was scathing. Time has been very very kind.

Lid fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2022

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah Blink have multiple great albums
They do. Now they’re kind of like Weezer in that I won’t even listen to the new releases, but still hold their first few albums in very high regard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Weezer status" is my personal shorthand for whenever you realize a band or show has sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

"Weezer status" is my personal shorthand for whenever you realize a band or show has sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

I think weezer and the simpsons are tied for quality years if you kick out simpsons season 1. Weezer wins if you consider that they toured off Maladroit for a year after it came out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was surprised at how much I liked last year's Van Weezer, though I haven't checked out any of those Seasons EPs yet.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

as a massive fan of early Muse still I know this too well. But at least in Muse/Weezer case they still put on a killer live show.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm a pretty big fan of some of the music blink did even with Skiba, plus Mark had some stuff I liked with Simple Creatures and the last Angels and Airwaves album had one song I really, really liked. It's definitely poppy, but considering the thread were in, that's not a bad thing. Generally, I look forward to more music from all of them because although they release stuff I don't care for pretty often, they occasionally have something that's like its made just for my taste.

Stuff I liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIR9gkAv88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkmgS7BfuQ (The official music video for this one was either a troll or three adults desparately trying to reach the fortnite audience, depending on what you choose to believe, but disconnected from that, I really like the pre-chorus into the chorus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbCpQVZ-Ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v640PiMt_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H13WPJFmY1o

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a Tove Lo fan but I hate mopey covers of Dancing On My Own. The irony is the entire point!

This was my exact thought watching that. Her cover of good 4 u was so good, this was just a very mid interpretation

Not mid: her new album, which is exactly what I wanted; equal parts horny and emotional loaded with great beats

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New 1975 album is good.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The first aid kit feature on new Tove Lo is AMAZING

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 15, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Because I am a deeply predictable human being I’m gonna bake the Taylor Swift cookies this weeks

https://twitter.com/elitedaily/status/1581025992704811008?s=61&t=2Lv16gSrY6ZJv1bC4Tmpfg

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Had no idea this was coming out but Lolo Zouai released a new album. I got to see Lolo open for Dua Lipa and she was incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

New 1975 album is good.

Yeah! They have better songs on other albums but I think this might be my favourite album of theirs back-to-front.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think I've ever listened to a vinyl record. I grew up when cassettes were still a thing but even my grandmother had no problem listening to Frankie on newer hardware. It's not like anyone is bringing back cassettes for limited editions.

But I'm seeing so many things I like lately coming out with special Vinyl versions. From Avril to a fuckin' video game I adore called Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. it's making me wonder if I should buy a record player or something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 18, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vinyl has been back for a pretty darn long time now

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Vinyl has been back for a pretty darn long time now

I know but I never paid any attention to it because nothing I wanted was Vinyl.

I figured it was just a dumb thing for hipsters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It forces you to listen to the whole album. It's great

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think I've ever listened to a vinyl record. I grew up when cassettes were still a thing but even my grandmother had no problem listening to Frankie on newer hardware. It's not like anyone is bringing back cassettes for limited editions.

But I'm seeing so many things I like lately coming out with special Vinyl versions. From Avril to a fuckin' video game I adore called Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. it's making me wonder if I should buy a record player or something.

Is this a post from 2012?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hot take - I don't like vinyl because I don't want to have to babysit the music. I want to just be able to have music playing for hours.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its nice when you're reading to be forced to take short breaks. Besides it's an excuse to put on one of the best albums of all time, I, Robot by Alan Parsons Project.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I only like vinyl for the cases, they are larger and cooler for album art

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If you enjoy having a physical copy of music then vinyl is great, because it's bigger and prettier than a CD, and CDs are no longer the highest lossless digital quality available anyway. (Not that everyone will actually take advantage of that.) So vinyl + a digital download is the best of both worlds, though admittedly a bit less affordable. (Also it seems to no longer be standard to always provide a digital download card with vinyl, which sucks.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’ve been buying records for over a decade at this point, it’s nice to listen to and a good way to support artists you like by buying their music instead of just streaming it.

The only frustrating thing is that at the moment there are a lot more people making music than there are pressing records so even some really huge albums you have to wait a while to get physically. I was shocked that Silk Sonic’s album wasn’t available immediately on vinyl given how much it sounds like it should be.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

44 minutes of new Taylor coming to us this week

Also got our first lyric snippets

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m feeling this album real hard and I haven’t heard a note

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And we are getting a tour in UK

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1582085271234887681?s=20&t=E5NVOj4K19HGtpKAHxEXQA

Also

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1582156635962679296?s=20&t=E5NVOj4K19HGtpKAHxEXQA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m feeling this album real hard and I haven’t heard a note

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I know but I never paid any attention to it because nothing I wanted was Vinyl.

I figured it was just a dumb thing for hipsters.

I…..okay?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not like anyone is bringing back cassettes for limited editions.

This isn’t remotely true either

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BigFactory posted:

Yeah and I have to say that's my limit -- the recent trend of limited edition cassettes absolutely is strictly a hipster thing. Cassettes truly have no advantage over CDs. Whereas at least a fresh vinyl, if it's done properly, can be a pretty great-sounding analog presentation and may have better mastering and whatnot. If a cassette hits someone's nostalgia buttons I'm not gonna knock them for it, but I just hope nobody's kidding themselves. It's strictly merch.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah and I have to say that's my limit -- the recent trend of limited edition cassettes absolutely is strictly a hipster thing. Cassettes truly have no advantage over CDs. Whereas at least a fresh vinyl, if it's done properly, can be a pretty great-sounding analog presentation and may have better mastering and whatnot. If a cassette hits someone's nostalgia buttons I'm not gonna knock them for it, but I just hope nobody's kidding themselves. It's strictly merch.

Cassettes sound like cassettes. That can be a really good sound. Not everything needs to sound like Aja.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Who gives a poo poo about Taylor when the new Carly album is dropping same day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mordiceius posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Taylor when the new Carly album is dropping same day.

I have two sets of headphones I can listen to both :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Now this I've never heard of at all.

Sir Lemming posted:

And I agree with this that it's unfathomable why anybody would bother.

My original post was musing about maybe there's some value to vinyl records besides being a collector but I can't say since I've never heard one. But I have heard cassettes and they are a relic for a reason.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 18, 2022