Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quantumfate posted:

It's like pointing to oklahoma and going "When the natives held it, there was no free health care, people lived close to starvation and since the white man took over for them it's been a region with vastly improved quality of life. There's currently a horrid repression of people going on there, and a pretty bad genocide.
The Chinese kinda suck at this genocide business then, given that the number of Tibetans have quadrupled since their takeover. They're obviously cementing their control of TIbet, suppression of native culture included, but calling it "a pretty bad genocide" seems like a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Squalid posted:

The hotel is also named after the novel.

That I did not know.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Chinese kinda suck at this genocide business then, given that the number of Tibetans have quadrupled since their takeover. They're obviously cementing their control of TIbet, suppression of native culture included, but calling it "a pretty bad genocide" seems like a stretch.

Do you have a source for this? And do you mean Han Chinese immigrants or native Tibetans?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Life expectancy and literacy have also improved by leaps and bounds. The Han have a better deal of it but . . . looking at places like Nepal, I'm inclined to say a lot of "Free Tibet" stuff has more to do with British Imperialism (and a very charismatic Dalai Lama! Though orientalism plays a role there) and less to do with actual human rights. Not that the PRC is good on human rights. They obviously aren't.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shbobdb posted:

Life expectancy and literacy have also improved by leaps and bounds.
The same has happened for Palestine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

This projection makes the line that goes over the North look really weird and stretched. I wonder what happened to those ducks. Did they get stuck in ice for the winter?

The line would be much more of a natural curve if we were viewing it from a polar projection. Alternatively, the path could disappeared "up" through the northern edge of the map near the Bering Strait and just "reappear" near Greenland.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Genocide is not strictly limited to "kill all people ever".

Carbon dioxide posted:

This projection makes the line that goes over the North look really weird and stretched. I wonder what happened to those ducks. Did they get stuck in ice for the winter?

Yep!

Wikipedia posted:

Using the models they had developed, the oceanographers correctly predicted further landfalls of the toys in Washington state in 1996 and theorized that many of the remaining Floatees would have travelled to Alaska, westward to Japan, back to Alaska, and then drifted northwards through the Bering Strait and become trapped in the Arctic pack ice. Moving slowly with the ice across the Pole, they predicted it would take five or six years for the toys to reach the North Atlantic where the ice would thaw and release them. Between July and December 2003, The First Years Inc. offered a $100 US savings bond reward to anybody who recovered a Floatee in New England, Canada or Iceland.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You could use the same reasoning for plenty of conquered peoples. I'm a bit wary of these 'white burden' arguments, it was still an invasion of a sovereign nation no matter how much the Tibetans needed to be enlightened and no matter how much the Han Chinese feel that the region historically belongs to them.

flatbus
Sep 19, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

(and a very charismatic Dalai Lama! Though orientalism plays a role there) and less to do with actual human rights

I was part of a Dalai Lama stage crew back in 2005 and I distinctly remember him making very clear that he doesn't want Tibetan independence, something that Westerners conveniently forget when they trip over themselves to look righteous.

This is his stance even today:

FT posted:

It’s a far cry from the Dalai Lama’s bleak mood when the FT interviewed him in 2008, after protests had swept Tibet. Then, the Nobel laureate mourned his waning influence over a younger, angrier generation. Today, he seems relaxed and confident, insisting he can convince most Tibetans – even independence advocates – to accept Chinese rule if genuine autonomy is granted.

“I have some moral authority among Tibetans. I can use it to persuade those Tibetans who want to separate,” he says. He suggests China’s leaders have far greater need of him than he of them.

Of course, he desires greater autonomy for Tibet - that much is obvious given everything that's played over the media about Tibetan independence. But what's less known is that he doesn't want the Chinese to leave Tibet, because, in his own words,

Dalai Lama posted:

In 1974, following serious discussions with my Kashag (cabinet), as well as the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker of the then Assembly of the Tibetan People's Deputies, we decided to find a Middle Way that would seek not to separate Tibet from China, but would facilitate the peaceful development of Tibet. Although we had no contact at the time with the PRC - which was in the midst of the Cultural Revolution - we had already recognized that, sooner or later, we would have to resolve the question of Tibet through negotiations. We also acknowledged that, at least with regard to modernization and economic development, it would greatly benefit Tibet if it remained within the PRC. Although Tibet has a rich and ancient cultural heritage, it is materially undeveloped.

This isn't to say the Dalai Lama is some pro-PRC guy misrepresented by the media; he clearly clashes with the PRC over Tibetan autonomy. But even he is deploying the 'white burden' argument to argue against independence for 'his' people. Whether he's actually representative of Tibetans is another question, but he's treated as such in the West. It's ironic how Free Tibet movements that sponsor him also downplay his insistence that Tibet should be under Chinese rule.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Do you have a source for this? And do you mean Han Chinese immigrants or native Tibetans?
I have a source in an old thread, but I'm not sure the best way to find it again, since it was gassed two years ago. All I remember off the top of my head is that the pre-invasion population numbers were done by some Italian dude.

Fuschia tude posted:

Genocide is not strictly limited to "kill all people ever".
No, but it usually includes actual attempts to destroy a populace. What China seems to be doing is settlement and assimilation, which isn't exactly nice, but it's not genocide. I would also like to see an argument for why it's "a pretty bad genocide". Since genocides are usually bad (!), I can only take that to mean that what's going on in Tibet is pretty drat heinous compared to most other genocides through history, which I think demands some proof.

Phlegmish posted:

You could use the same reasoning for plenty of conquered peoples. I'm a bit wary of these 'white burden' arguments, it was still an invasion of a sovereign nation no matter how much the Tibetans needed to be enlightened and no matter how much the Han Chinese feel that the region historically belongs to them.
Why value the rights of the "nation" over the rights of the majority of the people of that nation? Serfdom, slavery, and oppression, enforced by the upper class against the population is a mighty fine reason to institute a regime change. It's just not a reason to begin settlement and assimilation of the place afterward, nor keeping the place for profit like we used to do back in the day.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

steinrokkan posted:

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

This is a pretty good article. You can skip to the paragraph beginning with "Religions have had a close relationship not only with violence but with economic exploitation" if you don't want to read a broader introduction.

In short, the theocracy was a quasi-feudal system ruled by private and monastic landowners and the state apparatus served mostly to keep serfs pacified and protect property of the ruling classes. Also the lamas violently suppressed religious diversity.

He does skip over some rather unpleasant things that the Chinese have done to the Tibetans however, such as forced sterilization procedures, while laying very heavily into the rather repressive regime of feudal Tibet. His portrayal of the harm that China has done to Tibet is depicted as mostly a byproduct of China's general problems with corruption and the wealthy raiding the resource of the poor, and a general suppression of cultural identity (present throughout most of China anyways), rather than addressing the problem that maybe the Tibetans shouldn't have been robbed of their homeland in the first place, given their status as an independent nation, even if it was a bad state.

One could argue the same thing about Manchukuo under the yoke of Japanese Imperial occupation, or the Aztec Empire when the Spanish conquered them. Yes, there was a general unpleasant suppression of local culture, and the local wealth was being raided by the wealthier party. But look how horrible the culture was before (i.e. forced hair queue or death under Qing, human sacrifice under the Aztecs), and the conquerors stopped that horrendous nastiness. Even though he claims on the surface that it is important to recognize that China is also an equally guilty party which must be also held accountable, the amount of space he gives to describing the atrocities committed by the Tibetan aristocracy and religious elite, versus a light description of those of the Chinese occupiers seems to suggests otherwise.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have a source in an old thread, but I'm not sure the best way to find it again, since it was gassed two years ago. All I remember off the top of my head is that the pre-invasion population numbers were done by some Italian dude.

No, but it usually includes actual attempts to destroy a populace. What China seems to be doing is settlement and assimilation, which isn't exactly nice, but it's not genocide. I would also like to see an argument for why it's "a pretty bad genocide". Since genocides are usually bad (!), I can only take that to mean that what's going on in Tibet is pretty drat heinous compared to most other genocides through history, which I think demands some proof.

Why value the rights of the "nation" over the rights of the majority of the people of that nation? Serfdom, slavery, and oppression, enforced by the upper class against the population is a mighty fine reason to institute a regime change. It's just not a reason to begin settlement and assimilation of the place afterward, nor keeping the place for profit like we used to do back in the day.

The U.N. definition of genocide includes ethnocide, which is arguably the whole reason the Chinese are encouraging large-scale Han migration to the region.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Dalai Lama is a self-described Communist as well. Marxist, in fact. He's a lot more complicated person then he's usually portrayed as.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzin_Gyatso#Economics

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Even today, Peruvians are much more like the Inca than the Spanish that invaded, and a major reason for that is that it's actually really really hard to kill off an entire people (unless they're completely defenseless to diseases or something like that).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Even today, Peruvians are much more like the Inca than the Spanish that invaded, and a major reason for that is that it's actually really really hard to kill off an entire people (unless they're completely defenseless to diseases or something like that).

Uh, that's pretty disingenuous. The Inca and subordinate tribes died off in huge numbers during the 1500s and 1600s when the Spaniards cemented their re-concentration village layouts and mita for silver production. The fertility rate of Indians in Peru was incredibly low for hundreds of years and huge numbers of Indians fled the lovely villages the Spanish built for them and adopted Mestizo cultural traits as a way of integrating themselves into the Spanish casta system. While there are definitely important elements of native culture left Peruvian Indians (and south Americans in general) are largely a mixed-race, culturally syncretic people. Basically the Peruvians are 'like' neither the Spanish nor the Incas but are, except maybe in really remote places, an entirely different type of person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

Or have a religion that prevents reproduction. Its taken 233 years but all we've got to do is outlast Sister June Carpenter, Brother Arnold Hadd, and Sister Frances Carr and we'll finally have wiped the Shaker menace from the Earth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fandyien posted:

Uh, that's pretty disingenuous. The Inca and subordinate tribes died off in huge numbers during the 1500s and 1600s when the Spaniards cemented their re-concentration village layouts and mita for silver production. The fertility rate of Indians in Peru was incredibly low for hundreds of years and huge numbers of Indians fled the lovely villages the Spanish built for them and adopted Mestizo cultural traits as a way of integrating themselves into the Spanish casta system. While there are definitely important elements of native culture left Peruvian Indians (and south Americans in general) are largely a mixed-race, culturally syncretic people. Basically the Peruvians are 'like' neither the Spanish nor the Incas but are, except maybe in really remote places, an entirely different type of person.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently but the point was that historically people just don't murder every last man woman and child and then take their land. They just do the latter.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yes that is true almost universally except for in the Americas where more than 90% of the original populations died because of all the old world diseases and were actually replaced. You should probably have picked a different example.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently but the point was that historically people just don't murder every last man woman and child and then take their land. They just do the latter.

Oh yeah? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Tasmanian :v:

But really, you're right about virtually every case of colonial conquest. That's why the UN definition of genocide lists things outside of "actual physical extermination."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I found a report on sterilization, abortion and birth control in Tibet, conducted by an independent American anthropologist, which completely contradicts the stories of mobile sterilization teams being a Chinese policy in Tibet. (Or any other discriminatory fertility policies.) The report obviously touches upon the subject of fertility, which doesn't seem to be a problem at all in Tibet. (Well, the high population growth might be a problem due to lack of good land, but that's another issue.) Haven't read the other reports, but there are more about Tibet if anyone cares.

ookuwagata posted:

One could argue the same thing about Manchukuo under the yoke of Japanese Imperial occupation, or the Aztec Empire when the Spanish conquered them. Yes, there was a general unpleasant suppression of local culture, and the local wealth was being raided by the wealthier party. But look how horrible the culture was before (i.e. forced hair queue or death under Qing, human sacrifice under the Aztecs), and the conquerors stopped that horrendous nastiness.
Arguing that a place was an oppressive poo poo hole is not the same as arguing for cultural destruction after the oppressive institutions have been dealt with though. Sure, the way the oppression expressed itself was obviously based on the local culture, but I doubt it was an important part of the culture itself. Unless you want to argue that the French Revolution was destructive force against French culture.* How many would argue against the Chinese invasion, if they had allowed Tibet proper autonomy after getting rid of the ruling class, demanding nothing more than the right to station troops while assisting Tibet economically?

*The centralization and subsequent discrimination against regional cultures is another matter.

ookuwagata posted:

Even though he claims on the surface that it is important to recognize that China is also an equally guilty party which must be also held accountable, the amount of space he gives to describing the atrocities committed by the Tibetan aristocracy and religious elite, versus a light description of those of the Chinese occupiers seems to suggests otherwise.
Why should the author balance his own writing, when the scales are already heavily balanced in favor of the Shangri-La narrative in the West? I'm sure it's not difficult to find a lot of information about the poo poo the Chinese have done, so there's not really any reason for the author to write what others have already written many times before.

Fandyien posted:

The U.N. definition of genocide includes ethnocide, which is arguably the whole reason the Chinese are encouraging large-scale Han migration to the region.
It does? I don't see where.

Fandyien posted:

This despite the Spanish being half a world away. Alternatively, consider the Chinese approaching Tibet like the Israelis have done with Palestine. There are 200 times as many Han Chinese as there are Israeli Jews, while the Tibetan population is on the same scale as the Palestinian one in Israeli controlled territory. Are we really to believe the Chinese, on a similar time scale as the Israelis, have failed so miserable in their takeover of Tibet?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Christ, yet another horrific thing in history that I had never heard of. Goddamnit Europeans used to be really evil.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is 100% semantics at this point (does it make it any worse if you attach the word genocide to it?) but

quote:

a legal definition is found in the library of official rights of Guatemala the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2 of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

right at the top of the wikipedia article.

quote:

This despite the Spanish being half a world away. Alternatively, consider the Chinese approaching Tibet like the Israelis have done with Palestine. There are 200 times as many Han Chinese as there are Israeli Jews, while the Tibetan population is on the same scale as the Palestinian one in Israeli controlled territory. Are we really to believe the Chinese, on a similar time scale as the Israelis, have failed so miserable in their takeover of Tibet?

Uh genocides aren't a competition. Maybe the Chinese aren't as good at them as the Israelis, that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I found a report on sterilization, abortion and birth control in Tibet, conducted by an independent American anthropologist, which completely contradicts the stories of mobile sterilization teams being a Chinese policy in Tibet. (Or any other discriminatory fertility policies.) The report obviously touches upon the subject of fertility, which doesn't seem to be a problem at all in Tibet. (Well, the high population growth might be a problem due to lack of good land, but that's another issue.) Haven't read the other reports, but there are more about Tibet if anyone cares.

Arguing that a place was an oppressive poo poo hole is not the same as arguing for cultural destruction after the oppressive institutions have been dealt with though. Sure, the way the oppression expressed itself was obviously based on the local culture, but I doubt it was an important part of the culture itself. Unless you want to argue that the French Revolution was destructive force against French culture.* How many would argue against the Chinese invasion, if they had allowed Tibet proper autonomy after getting rid of the ruling class, demanding nothing more than the right to station troops while assisting Tibet economically?

*The centralization and subsequent discrimination against regional cultures is another matter.

Why should the author balance his own writing, when the scales are already heavily balanced in favor of the Shangri-La narrative in the West? I'm sure it's not difficult to find a lot of information about the poo poo the Chinese have done, so there's not really any reason for the author to write what others have already written many times before.

It isn't a question of "success" or "failure". China's goals in Tibet are markedly different then Israel's goals in Palestine and both states are so wildly different that they're obviously gonna be totally different. Israel wants a two-state solution and/or the ejection of Israeli Arabs (or, at least, maintaining their minority status) whereas China wants to see Tibet totally assimilated. They also have less dubious historical claims, but that's really neither here nor there. The Chinese have arguably been more "successful" in their takeover of Tibet because direct force isn't employed nearly as often as it is by Israel.

Really though it's distasteful to discuss that because, like Koramei said, genocide or ethnocide or insert morally unacceptable geopollitical action x isn't a competition.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fandyien posted:

It isn't a question of "success" or "failure". China's goals in Tibet are markedly different then Israel's goals in Palestine and both states are so wildly different that they're obviously gonna be totally different. Israel wants a two-state solution and/or the ejection of Israeli Arabs (or, at least, maintaining their minority status) whereas China wants to see Tibet totally assimilated. They also have less dubious historical claims, but that's really neither here nor there. The Chinese have arguably been more "successful" in their takeover of Tibet because direct force isn't employed nearly as often as it is by Israel.
That's my point though. The Chinese have no need for the kind of policies the Israelis pursue, so why act like they do the stuff people claim they do?

Koramei posted:

This is 100% semantics at this point (does it make it any worse if you attach the word genocide to it?) but

right at the top of the wikipedia article.
How is Han migration causing the physical destruction of in whole or in part of the Tibetan people?

Koramei posted:

Uh genocides aren't a competition. Maybe the Chinese aren't as good at them as the Israelis, that doesn't mean it's not happening.
For it to be a competition, the Chinese have to play. Anyone have any actual evidence of genocide?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

DarkCrawler posted:

Christ, yet another horrific thing in history that I had never heard of. Goddamnit Europeans used to be really evil.

Used to be?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

The thing to keep in mind when you rail about westerners espousing a "Shangri-la" narrative: Tibet before the chinese invasion was essentially a premodern state. It was no worse than any other premodern state, arguably in some ways better than other such states. Modern life has an inarguably better quality of life.

To that end; focusing on how "horrid" Tibet was is really utterly irrelevant to the issue. It's like everytime someone criticizes the US treatment of native americans or african americans you respond "Yes, but before the white man they were living awful premodern lives, little better than savages! Oh the ills they had!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
On the flip-side of that, a lot of the "cultural genocide" that people talk about in Tibet is a function of modernity. And that's always an unpleasant ride for a culture.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

The thing to keep in mind when you rail about westerners espousing a "Shangri-la" narrative: Tibet before the chinese invasion was essentially a premodern state. It was no worse than any other premodern state, arguably in some ways better than other such states. Modern life has an inarguably better quality of life.
So what? How is that an argument? The whole point is to show that Tibet was basically a premodern state, with all that entails, which is an excellent counter argument to the Shangri-La narrative. Because premodern states sucked rear end, whether centuries ago, or decades in the case of Tibet.

Quantumfate posted:

To that end; focusing on how "horrid" Tibet was is really utterly irrelevant to the issue. It's like everytime someone criticizes the US treatment of native americans or african americans you respond "Yes, but before the white man they were living awful premodern lives, little better than savages! Oh the ills they had!"
Not it's not, because no one is arguing in favor of the exploitation and genocide that the Europeans brought with them. On top of that, I'm not sure the US can really claim to have brought greater justice with its arms for most of its history either, especially not during the period when it mistreated the Native Americans and African-Americans the most. Yes, it was technologically superior, but we're not talking about technology, but social institutions, and on that front the US was loving terrible.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

You really ought read up on asian history- And as much as I love michael parenti he is pretty wrong. Tibet was a pretty not-capitalist state, and I guess that's bad? But it was far from a theocratic hellhole- that's a position that's in line with PRC propaganda for a reason. OH NO TIBETANS MADE THINGS OUT OF PEOPLE! (It is a deeply venerative act to reuse the bones of your teacher in the making of religious artifacts). Fact is there is more modernisation in the coutnry, and a larger population. One which is mostly chinese. It's like pointing to oklahoma and going "When the natives held it, there was no free health care, people lived close to starvation and since the white man took over for them it's been a region with vastly improved quality of life. There's currently a horrid repression of people going on there, and a pretty bad genocide.

It's a more complicated issue than a bunch of posters here lead on. Especially because it has been arguably worse for native tibetans since the PRC came in; there are after all numerous genocide charges levied against a place with less reporters in it than Pyongyang.

http://www.businessinsider.com/spanish-arrest-warrants-over-genocide-in-tibet-2013-11

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-graham/goodbye-tibet_b_1093665.html

EDIT:
Also worth mentioning that the Theocrat in question is a massive advocate for social democracy, is a flaming marxist and literally a communist.

What is the reasoning and evidence behind the genocide charges? Your links provide evidence of assimilationist policies, but The U.N. definition of genocide Koramei shared seems designed explicitly to exclude such activity. Certain Chinese policies, for example the Tibetan exception from the 1-child policy, are inconsistent with a centralized effort to destroy Tibetans as a people. Clearly there is much resentment against Chinese authority in Tibet, but embarrassingly I have no idea what grievances they claim, do you know?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Can we get some maps?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Xandu posted:

Can we get some maps?

Did you know?!?!?!? Greenland is not actually bigger than South America!!!!! It's because of the way the map is made, called the projection!!! This one is called Mercator and really distorts the view of our world!!!!!! The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Did you know?!?!?!? Greenland is not actually bigger than South America!!!!! It's because of the way the map is made, called the projection!!! This one is called Mercator and really distorts the view of our world!!!!!! The more you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know whether Mercator affects the way most people view the world, but it certainly has a dangerous effect on cartographers. Talk about projection.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hypothetical uncolonized Africa.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Qwo posted:

Hypothetical uncolonized Africa.

They gave them Spain. That was generous.

edit: And Sicily.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Basically, the Reconquista and the Norman conquest of Sicily never happened.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Is this from The Years of Rice and Salt or something? And what's with the trigrams on the compass rose?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

made of bees posted:

Is this from The Years of Rice and Salt or something? And what's with the trigrams on the compass rose?

Is that series any good by the way? I think it has an interesting premise but what I'm told is that everything that happened in real life happened again except it was Chinese and Arabian.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Is that series any good by the way? I think it has an interesting premise but what I'm told is that everything that happened in real life happened again except it was Chinese and Arabian.

Oh so Harry Turtledove style "Global Search and Replace Alternate History"?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Fojar38 posted:

I enjoyed it. And yeah, some of the same things happened again, but not everything by a long shot, and a lot of the things that did, still happened via a different process or for different reasons. But as an example of "not everything," it takes them a lot longer to split the atom. It kind of stops being A Subject after a while, so I don't know if they did by the very end of the book, but I know they still haven't done so by the equivalent of 2000 CE, though their scientists do know the theory behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

They gave them Spain. That was generous.

edit: And Sicily.

They gave them Madeira too. There is flimsy justification in Al Andalus or Sicily given they had been ruled by African conquerors about 1000 years ago. Why Madeira though? It's not like the Canaries, there were no native inhabitants of Madeira.

edit: My bad didn't expand the timg all the way and it looked to me like it had been given to the Canaries.