Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Today, for the first time, I got honked at while lane-splitting.

It was a taxi, of course. We were stopped at a red light and I pulled up beside him, and he BWAAAAAAA as soon as the light turned green and tried to beat me off the line. I was already going, so I opened the throttle from about 20% to 50% and easily pulled ahead. He rapidly got out of his lane and squealed around a corner.

Some people really don't like the idea of anyone "getting ahead" of them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

We wear leather and have big vibrators between our legs. We're all homos.

Now it's settled.

Yeah fair enough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Y'know, if you think about it, motorcycles are popular in California, including the bay area.
The bay area has a reputation for having lots of gays.

So you could correlate that to mean that riding a motorcycle does indeed make you more likely to crave dick.

I for one welcome our power-wheelieing, leather-clad gay overlords.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Is this some GBS edgelord poo poo or is homophobia actually cool with a lot of people in here? Deciphering sarcasm on this forum has become like the loving davinci code.

I just assume everyone who posts in Cycle Asylum is gay. I thought we were all offended because nsaP compared us to Californians.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just think it's a little amusing that PCOS Bill is active in a thread and someone else is the one shitposting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just think it's a little amusing that PCOS Bill is active in a thread and someone else is the one shitposting.

PCOS Bill probably doesn't have a ponytail, which is trolling irl.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

astrollinthepork posted:

We wear leather and have big vibrators between our legs. We're all homos.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I for one welcome our power-wheelieing, leather-clad gay overlords.

Please join me in singing our Sub-Forum Anthem: An Ode to Leather and Cocks, as sung by the gayest, leatheriest, motorcyclest person in existence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQz1ABtzek

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

Please join me in singing our Sub-Forum Anthem: An Ode to Leather and Cocks, as sung by the gayest, leatheriest, motorcyclest person in existence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQz1ABtzek

This is my fav riding song, because it involves a gay man singing about sodomy and bikes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhY9GOhFwN4

e: I also like to imagine he's singing about a GPZ750 turbo :allears:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

PCOS Bill probably doesn't have a ponytail, which is trolling irl.

Nah, I buzz my whole head. That way when I start losing my hair nobody will really notice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

Nah, I buzz my whole head. That way when I start losing my hair nobody will really notice.

Practical and humble, I see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is my fav riding song, because it involves a gay man singing about sodomy and bikes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhY9GOhFwN4

e: I also like to imagine he's singing about a GPZ750 turbo :allears:

I unironically love Judas priest yet I'll happily admit that this is a terrible song. But I still love it so so much.

Plus halford's midrange is just dreamy :swoon: If his singing were an engine it'd be a V4.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Guys I think I might be gay for my motorcycle :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrRx1DRVEU&t=29s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lotta classics getting posted

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lotta classics getting posted

No Chuck Tingle, voted 1

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ioc please abuse your powers to make gay_horsepower.jpg and hornymantravis.png the CA background in preparation for the terrible return of nsap

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I unironically love Judas priest yet I'll happily admit that this is a terrible song. But I still love it so so much.

Plus halford's midrange is just dreamy :swoon: If his singing were an engine it'd be a V4.

Still sounds great; gotta love that low down mid-80s sound Bill Laswell had going on. See also: Motorhead, "Orgasmatron."

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I've had three motorcycle purchases fall through so far. First one the person decided at the last minute they didn't, in fact, want to sell the motorcycle. She told me this two hours before I was supposed to meet her. Second guy offered to meet me somewhere and just never showed up. The third guy texted about fifteen minutes before we were supposed to meet up and said 'sorry sold bike good luck'.

How do you deal with people on craigslist. Christ.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 4, 2016

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Fishvilla posted:

PHONE CALLS ONLY NO TEXTS helps immensely.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

RadioPassive posted:

PHONE CALLS ONLY NO TEXTS helps immensely.

I'm purchasing, so I get less of a chance to dictate communication. I've only had one person who answered when I call, which is definitely a little frustrating.

Oh well. On to the next one.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fishvilla posted:

I've had three motorcycle purchases fall through so far. First one the person decided at the last minute they didn't, in fact, want to sell the motorcycle. She told me this two hours before I was supposed to meet her. Second guy offered to meet me somewhere and just never showed up. The third guy texted about fifteen minutes before we were supposed to meet up and said 'sorry sold bike good luck'.

This is just a part of doing business on craigslist. I have never bought or sold a bike not had to deal with this kind of thing.

I don't understand the attitude of the no shows either. I was selling a bike for a friend once, and had to travel to get to the garage it was located in. About 20 minutes after the time we agreed on, I called the buyer and he said "oh yeah, I just had to change my oil in my truck first. I'll head out in a few minutes". :psyduck:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fishvilla posted:

I'm purchasing, so I get less of a chance to dictate communication. I've only had one person who answered when I call, which is definitely a little frustrating.

Oh well. On to the next one.

Deal with responsive people. Don't put much hope in the luddites. There's some expectation management involved with dealing on Craigslist.

If I'm buying, I use these guidelines:

- Be ready now: have cash and transport ready when you are looking to buy, because you need to act fast. Tell the seller something like "I am ready to buy pending an in-person inspection and demo if possible, when can we meet"

- Call if there's a number: talking to somebody will give you a much better impression of whether they're a flake, if they don't answer leave a message letting them know why you are calling and leave your phone number on the message, twice, once at the beginning when you introduce yourself and one at the end to repeat it so they don't need to re-listen to the message because they inevitably missed it the first time. Probably goes without saying but speak clearly, sellers don't like dealing with mush-mouth idiots any more than you do.

- Email or text too if you get no answer, mention you left a voicemail if you already did.

- Communicate: once you talk by phone, text or email follow ups can be acceptable if the other party pays attention to it. Not everybody does, and not everybody needs to, so don't judge a seller based on their communication preference unless they insist on carrier pigeon or something.

And yeah, pursue multiple options.

If you know what you want, try a want ad and name your price. I've bought two bikes like that and it went smoothly in both cases. One guy told me he wasn't really thinking about selling it but if there's somebody asking for one, that's an opportunity for an easy sale.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fishvilla posted:

Man, I have been lucky as poo poo. I actually had to cancel on 2 Tuono dudes (one because the title was a rebuilt and out of state), and they were both cool. The one Tuono dude kept in touch for a few days after I bought my bike (from a cool grandpa with like a bunch of bikes) and wanted to make me an offer if I changed my mind.

Also my first bike was from CL and that dude was pretty cool too. And my second one. Really, maybe Chicago is just better than Fishville. :v:

e: He is still trying to sell that thing, drat. I should offer him like 3 large for it.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 4, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
When I was selling my 650r I had a guy come and test ride the bike and he seemed pretty into it. We made plans for him to pick it up and hand over the title and he just texts me and says sorry man my buddy just got me a better deal on a bike real sorry!!!!.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's funny: I went to go buy the bike when I had cash in my grubby-rear end mitts, but the ad was gone. I was like goddamnit, this thing has been on the market for like months, and now it disappears. After I made an agreement to go buy the FZ-09, the stupid Tuono ad pops back up, and I emailed the guy all WTF. He said the ad had expired so he had to re-submit it to CL. I think it was Christ Jesus, our Lord and Saviour, who came down and saved me from having an Italian as my primary source of transportation.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I just assume every deal is going to fall through and I'm almost never disappointed :shrug:

Though, buying is usually fairly hassle free. I think you're just getting unlucky, Fish. I've never had someone no-show when I was looking to buy. That's just rude. Selling? lol. Prepare to meet the biggest shitheads in your life, and 1 nice cool person who actually comes by (on time) buys the bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
True story: when I sold my Mustang on CL, the guy who bought it abandoned a stolen car in my work parking lot when he left. Found that out when I came back from lunch and there was a sheriff's deputy taking a report about it.

"I'm sure you don't want to get in the middle of this"

You know what? You're right.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

clutchpuck posted:

Deal with responsive people. Don't put much hope in the luddites. There's some expectation management involved with dealing on Craigslist.

If I'm buying, I use these guidelines:

Selling guidelines, please? I have a Ninja 300 looking for a new home.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Buhbuhj posted:

When I was selling my 650r I had a guy come and test ride the bike and he seemed pretty into it. We made plans for him to pick it up and hand over the title and he just texts me and says sorry man my buddy just got me a better deal on a bike real sorry!!!!.

At least the guy gave you a straightforward answer that he wasn't interested anymore. Seems like most people just flake out.

I bought my DRZ off Craigslist. After seeing tons of ratty looking SMs, mine showed up in near mint condition. Then I went to the guy's house and he had a spotless garage with a spotless, vintage Porsche. He also showed me that he had made photocopies of the manual so he could use it without getting the real manual greasy. I don't think I'm gonna have a better experience than that with CL.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

pokie posted:

Don't. Just ride it till the wheels fall off.

Seriously though I hate selling on CL. Price it too high and you'll get no interest, price it too low, and you'll have every crazy on a meth hangover texting you. Price it right and half of people who say they're interested will lowball you.

Timing is probably your friend for a 300, get it up in the spring when all the folks are coming off their MSF training and need a ride for the summer. Be ready to ride it to the buyer's house for them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

pokie posted:

good luck, my bro can't even get flakey bites on his 2014 300 ABS for 3500

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am in no rush to sell it, so I guess I will see how it goes. :haw:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

At least the guy gave you a straightforward answer that he wasn't interested anymore. Seems like most people just flake out.

I bought my DRZ off Craigslist. After seeing tons of ratty looking SMs, mine showed up in near mint condition. Then I went to the guy's house and he had a spotless garage with a spotless, vintage Porsche. He also showed me that he had made photocopies of the manual so he could use it without getting the real manual greasy. I don't think I'm gonna have a better experience than that with CL.

It's always a good idea to take note of the condition of the seller's house and vehicles, if possible. Usually a good indicator of how well taken care of the bike is.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I'm going to assume that I've just had terribad experiences buying, then. Selling was a breeze compared to this. We negotiated via text message, and then the guy came to pick it up. No drama, no trouble. Hell, the guy even went to school in the same town that I did. First guy who offered met me at the price I was looking for. Easy-peasy.

I'm just going to assume that 'Fishville' has a bunch of idiot sellers.

pokie posted:

Drive your 300 to Minneapolis. I'll even buy you beer for your trouble.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I ended up buying a scooter from a second hand shop because I kept getting stood up by other expats wanting to sell their scooters. One guy lived on the same street as I, but wanted to meet halfway across town, was a no-show. I waited for one guy for an hour, get a message via Facebook 2 hours later with random excuses about why he didn't show up and could we meet now?

Basically, Facebook Buy/Sell groups are horrible, too.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've bought one thing on Craigslist, ever, my VFR. Emailed, got an address/time to come see it, we worked out a price/time he was available to go to a notary with me (thanks PA) and then met up, did the transaction, loaded all the spare parts in the car for my wife to drive home, went and BSed back at his workplace for a bit (He's the owner so he can do that, hah) and then I rode my new to me bike home.

Next time I use Craigslist I've burned all my positive karma/vibes so I'll probably get shot

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Welp. That was a fun month. Bike got stolen at work. At least I have complete insurance. I guess it's true what they say about dual sports. People like stealing them.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I have used craigslist twice. Once for my subs/amp and once for my ninja250.

For the subs I drove out to a 7/11 in bumfuck nowhere VA. The guy pulls up with a cute dog in the front seat. He shows me the subs and tells me he hopes they bring me as much joy as they brought him and his friends :3:. I also forgot 1 $20 and told him I'll run in and get it from the ATM and he said don't worry about it.

For the Ninja I drove to a McMansion neighborhood and met a 6'2" polish dude and his 5'2" wife. It was his wife's bike but they have a baby coming and don't want to risk riding anymore. The bike was really clean and they gave me a bunch of stuff with it. The guy rode it to my house for me and came to my bank to get the bill of sale notarized. He said if I have any questions about maintenance or anything like that I can call him. The wife was sad to let it go but I promised to take good care of it. And now it's getting towed away from being submerged :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I bought all my bikes off craigslist.

First one we worked out a price beforehand, unseen outside of pictures, because I really wanted a CL350 project and didn't care much about the condition. It was a little rougher than I'd expected but eh, it was probably a hundred bucks this way or that. (I spent $600). Showed up, loaded the bike, signed the papers and left.

Second one I had decided ahead of time how much I'd pay for it. Got to the guy's house, found the bike in great condition. Test rode it (showing up fully geared on your own motorcycle is a good way to get permission to do this without handing over any cash), decided I wanted it, told the guy bluntly how much I brought. He tried to haggle for a bit but I said "well, I have this much cash, no more, and I will do this deal right now if you want." Wasn't a super lowball so he said yes. I spent a while complimenting him on the project cars he was working on and his police-special HD he was restoring, and he said he'd follow me back in his pickup carrying my other bike.