Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I anticipate finding every headphone in the $200 range in my collection at some point.

Going back to my AKG 7XX isn't as hard as I thought it would be. They are significantly comfier than the M560, and comfort is the main reason I chose the HD 569 over anything else in that range. Hopefully that is true, should find out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

I anticipate finding every headphone in the $200 range in my collection at some point.

Going back to my AKG 7XX isn't as hard as I thought it would be. They are significantly comfier than the M560, and comfort is the main reason I chose the HD 569 over anything else in that range. Hopefully that is true, should find out tomorrow.

You know, it's funny.
I was really resenting being stuck in mid-fi hell, but since the Sennheiser HD650/600 have come down in price, the Monoprice headphones are killing it, and Massdrop is doing some crazy poo poo with the HD6XX, AKG 7XX, and now hi-fiman HE-400i I'm actually pretty okay with it. There's a shitton of options out there now around the $200 ish pricepoint.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Agreed! I saw some HD 650s for under $300 while double checking reviews on the HD 569 and that's pretty amazing. It's kinda nice knowing that you can pick up a few pairs of headphones a year without killing your retirement fund.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

Agreed! I saw some HD 650s for under $300 while double checking reviews on the HD 569 and that's pretty amazing. It's kinda nice knowing that you can pick up a few pairs of headphones a year without killing your retirement fund.

What's killing me now is the Hxx for $170
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

I just dropped $200 on the 6XX and I'm trying to pick up another turntable this evening and buy a house, and the wife's bday was this past weekend, and so on... So for the next couple paychecks I'm pmuch broke. :sigh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

I just dropped $200 on the 6XX and I'm trying to pick up another turntable this evening and buy a house, and the wife's bday was this past weekend, and so on... So for the next couple paychecks I'm pmuch broke. :sigh:

The measurements of the prototype HE4XX by Tyll are interesting

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

Looks pretty reasonable for under $200 and planar.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh God... I don't need it.

Need to pay off the credit card first before making unwise decisions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DancingShade posted:

The measurements of the prototype HE4XX by Tyll are interesting

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

Looks pretty reasonable for under $200 and planar.

Looks like a great time to get into headphone modding too. I wouldn't be opposed to stitching some custom pads and headband cushion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not going to bother linking the URL because I really doubt anyone would want to pay the asking price (unless you really have no use for two grand just laying around) but Sony Z1Rs are now on Massdrop too.

Kind of strange seeing the flagship model from a Large Japanese Company on what amounts to a discount website :psyduck:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sadly Monoprice will not cover the headphones under warranty, so I'll get to cracking those bad boys open when I get back from China.

The Sennheiser HD 569 first impressions are very good, though. First, wearing them is like a hug for my head which is very good. Whatever memory foam they're using is extremely good and my ears are much cooler than they were in the M560.

The sound is also very good. Some reviews have portrayed the bass as sloppy, but listening to some desert rock hasn't really revealed that. I'm going to crack into some hip hop later, though, so that impression may gain some nuance.

Something that the M560 were exceptionally good at was executing the more delicate/tight sound design on Zelda, so we'll see how that goes.

Soundstage isn't anything special, but they're closed back so whatever.

Isolation is okay - for airplane listening purposes, 50% or maybe one notch more on my phone is looking like it'll be the upper limit for being a good neighbor on the plane.

This might be a little bit odd, but stereo separation is really good on these? It was a little jarring initially but I like it. It could be because these are the nicest closed back cans I've had.

And I can really goose them volume wise on my phone which is rad. With the square trade warranty, I'm very happy.

Also, I can't say enough how comfy these are. They're really really really comfy. Once the memory foam settles, it's like you're wearing nothing at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

Sadly Monoprice will not cover the headphones under warranty, so I'll get to cracking those bad boys open when I get back from China.

The Sennheiser HD 569 first impressions are very good, though. First, wearing them is like a hug for my head which is very good. Whatever memory foam they're using is extremely good and my ears are much cooler than they were in the M560.

The sound is also very good. Some reviews have portrayed the bass as sloppy, but listening to some desert rock hasn't really revealed that. I'm going to crack into some hip hop later, though, so that impression may gain some nuance.

Something that the M560 were exceptionally good at was executing the more delicate/tight sound design on Zelda, so we'll see how that goes.

Soundstage isn't anything special, but they're closed back so whatever.

Isolation is okay - for airplane listening purposes, 50% or maybe one notch more on my phone is looking like it'll be the upper limit for being a good neighbor on the plane.

This might be a little bit odd, but stereo separation is really good on these? It was a little jarring initially but I like it. It could be because these are the nicest closed back cans I've had.

And I can really goose them volume wise on my phone which is rad. With the square trade warranty, I'm very happy.

Also, I can't say enough how comfy these are. They're really really really comfy. Once the memory foam settles, it's like you're wearing nothing at all.

Stupid sexy flanders.

I don't recall. did you try the 598c or not? I'd like to know the differences if you did.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Stupid sexy flanders.

I don't recall. did you try the 598c or not? I'd like to know the differences if you did.

I did not. They appear to have the same drivers, many reports claim they sound exactly the same, but reports from folks who claimed to have both said the 569 was comfier (most said it was comfier only by a little, but for a 16 hour flight, a little extra comfort compounds really quickly).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dammit, now you're making me want to buy a new set of headphones instead of just swapping the cups on mine.

I already have a good pair, 2 sets is a bit much. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dammit, now you're making me want to buy a new set of headphones instead of just swapping the cups on mine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

These are just my work headphones:

And a couple pairs that I hide, "just in case"

:negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Edmond Dantes posted:

I mean, that's what all these specific product threads and things like that are always going to drive that.

I really don't have much use for more than maybe 3 pairs at a time, but this thread is nice to keep things replaced as the time comes. I put in for the HifiMan 4XX since the M560 was replacing multiple pairs for me (open and closed backs) and I'm interested in seeing how good they'll be.

The M560 were good cans, but maybe there were some compromises made in construction to get it to that price point. I'm also finding/remembering that extremely comfortable cans may be more important than I thought.

The HE 4XX have comfort explicitly mentioned, so I think that and the HD 569 will probably get there with the AKG 7XX at the computer for my twitch gaming purposes.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Let's Talk Headphones IV: Stupid sexy Sennheisers

I want to do a write up on my hd600s and the Little Dot Mk2. yall with 600s-650s need to invest in tubes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat NIGGA posted:

I want to do a write up on my hd600s and the Little Dot Mk2. yall with 600s-650s need to invest in tubes.

The abyss, it looks back. Be warned.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drat NIGGA posted:

Try your HD600s off a balanced output solid state using an XLR cable :toot:

Man those headphones scale well.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

drat NIGGA posted:

yall with 600s-650s need to invest in tubes.

Please tell me this isn't a serious post.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

Please tell me this isn't a serious post.

Don't forget to replace all your cables with 99% pure silver ones, conveniently forgetting that everything is wired internally using the cheapest copper available on the planet.

Actually this is a great time to link this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWb2yxWx8YA&t=201s

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 5, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm wanting to try a dac/amp and move away from my highish-end sound card even though it is enough to power my Fidelio X2's.

Am I likely to notice an improvement if I were to get a Schiit stack over a ~100 dac/amp combo? I'm finding it hard to buy a product called Fulla Schiit for a hobby surrounded by snake-oil

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lube banjo posted:

I'm wanting to try a dac/amp and move away from my highish-end sound card even though it is enough to power my Fidelio X2's.

Am I likely to notice an improvement if I were to get a Schiit stack over a ~100 dac/amp combo? I'm finding it hard to buy a product called Fulla Schiit for a hobby surrounded by snake-oil

If you haven't been following the audiophile ridicule thread the $80 Behringer UMC204HD shits all over "audiophile" products priced all the way until $2000 in terms of measured performance.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

If you haven't been following the audiophile ridicule thread the $80 Behringer UMC204HD shits all over "audiophile" products priced all the way until $2000 in terms of measured performance.

I dunno, seems a bit risky. One guy on one forums says its pretty good, and since its for recording there is hardly any way to confirm his review

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I've been struggling with buying head phones because my last two purchases have hurt my head and I couldn't figure out why but now I realized that it probably has to do with the headphones being over ear instead of on ear.

So right now I'm looking for something that's on ear. I've also been thinking about going open back but I'm not sure yet so I would like suggestions for both kind. And I'm looking to spend around 150 to 200 CAD.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lube banjo posted:

I dunno, seems a bit risky. One guy on one forums says its pretty good, and since its for recording there is hardly any way to confirm his review

I own a cheap Behringer DAC. It is a perfectly fine DAC. I can't hear any difference between it and any other DAC. It changes digital audio to analog without exploding. If you just need a DAC, don't spend more than whatever the behringer costs. If you need an amp as well, the low-end schiit stuff is reliable and good, if you can ignore some minor build quality stuff.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lucinice posted:

So I've been struggling with buying head phones because my last two purchases have hurt my head and I couldn't figure out why but now I realized that it probably has to do with the headphones being over ear instead of on ear.

Either you have your terms mixed up or you need to explain this further. On-ear headphones are universally less comfortable than over-ear, and some people can't tolerate them at all. What kind of pain are you experiencing, and with what headphones?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Either you have your terms mixed up or you need to explain this further. On-ear headphones are universally less comfortable than over-ear, and some people can't tolerate them at all. What kind of pain are you experiencing, and with what headphones?

I have a Sony MDR7506. And general I feel pain around my ears and sometimes get headaches.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A lot of (most) over-ears put pressure on my TMJ and that gives me headaches, so this is hardly "universal"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On ear headphones are torture devices and their proponents are sadists :colbert:

(If I couldn't wear over ear I'd stick to IEMs, but you do you)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lucinice posted:

I have a Sony MDR7506. And general I feel pain around my ears and sometimes get headaches.

Honestly, 7506 with the stock pads are super uncomfortable and not representative of good over-ears.They're otherwise good headphones, so my first suggestion would be to replace the pads. I have a pair with these pads and I can wear them all day. It also helps to stretch the headband a bit by stacking some books together so they're wider than your head and putting the headphones around them overnight.

Otherwise, you could try Status CB-1s, which are inexpensive and extremely comfortable, if not the prettiest things in the world. I bet the pads will solve your problem though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DancingShade posted:

On ear headphones are torture devices and their proponents are sadists :colbert:

(If I couldn't wear over ear I'd stick to IEMs, but you do you)

This is, in fact, why I stick to IEMs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been reading about the first generation of completely wireless bluetooth IEMs (following Apple's) and am wondering when the next generation of them with the kinks ironed out are going to appear. Or have they already? I was kind of looking at Onkyo's set but there are complaints about the short battery life and stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No experience yet using bluetooth IEMs but if I was going to focus on anything it would be battery life first. Doesn't matter how comfortable they are or what the sound is like if they're not usable when I want them.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Honestly, 7506 with the stock pads are super uncomfortable and not representative of good over-ears.They're otherwise good headphones, so my first suggestion would be to replace the pads. I have a pair with these pads and I can wear them all day. It also helps to stretch the headband a bit by stacking some books together so they're wider than your head and putting the headphones around them overnight.

Otherwise, you could try Status CB-1s, which are inexpensive and extremely comfortable, if not the prettiest things in the world. I bet the pads will solve your problem though.

I'll take a look at those. Honestly I was thinking of switching headphones even if I didn't have the pain issue because I realized closed backs aren't really my thing. But thanks either way.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Budget: $200-500
Source: iPhone and sometimes PC
Purpose: I work in an open office with the loudest talking motherfuckers on the planet and I need to not hear them at all without having to turn my music up so loud I damage my ears. Telling them to shut the gently caress up has not been effective.
Music: random poo poo from bubblegum pop to noise music and all stops in between but I don't pay attention to it so as long as the sound quality isn't atrocious I'm good
Form factor: I guess over ear because anything pressing on my ears or going in my ears is deeply uncomfortable after just a few minutes
Other: Seriously, I'd love something where someone yelling 2 feet away from me will sound like the faintest whisper, if possible. My commute is by train so it's be great to cancel out noise other than speech as well. Other than that, comfort is key - I will be wearing these for 5-10 hours a day. Wireless because I am dumb and will forget I have them on and walk away from my desk.

Please help me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

metztli posted:

Budget: $200-500
Source: iPhone and sometimes PC
Purpose: I work in an open office with the loudest talking motherfuckers on the planet and I need to not hear them at all without having to turn my music up so loud I damage my ears. Telling them to shut the gently caress up has not been effective.
Music: random poo poo from bubblegum pop to noise music and all stops in between but I don't pay attention to it so as long as the sound quality isn't atrocious I'm good
Form factor: I guess over ear because anything pressing on my ears or going in my ears is deeply uncomfortable after just a few minutes
Other: Seriously, I'd love something where someone yelling 2 feet away from me will sound like the faintest whisper, if possible. My commute is by train so it's be great to cancel out noise other than speech as well. Other than that, comfort is key - I will be wearing these for 5-10 hours a day. Wireless because I am dumb and will forget I have them on and walk away from my desk.

Please help me.

Sony MDR 1000X seem like your silver bullet, refurbished units are around $250-$275 if you're cool with that.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

NewFatMike posted:

Sony MDR 1000X seem like your silver bullet, refurbished units are around $250-$275 if you're cool with that.

Reading the reviews it looks like it lets voices through by design and that's absolutely what I want to avoid. Am I missing something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

metztli posted:

Reading the reviews it looks like it lets voices through by design and that's absolutely what I want to avoid. Am I missing something?
I didn't think there were noise cancelling headphones designed to stop voices. I thought they were designed under the expectation that if someone is talking loudly around you you probably want to know about it, for emergency reasons if nothing else.

I bought some in-ears for an upcoming bus trip, Onkyo E700Ms. I rather like them so far.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 8, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't think there were noise cancelling headphones designed to stop voices. I thought they were designed under the expectation that if someone is talking loudly around you you probably want to know about it, for emergency reasons if nothing else.

I bought some IEMs for an upcoming bus trip, Onkyo E700Ms. I rather like them so far.

I wish they only spoke loudly near me when there was an emergency. Alas, no, they shout at top volume no matter what. Right now there are two dudes who sit next to one another having a discussion about Game of Thrones at top volume despite no one else but me being in the office.

They always talk at this volume, and there are about a dozen other people here who behave the same. I have tried all non-technical solutions save quitting, so figure I would throw money at the problem.

Totally willing to fend for myself in an emergency or, if someone taps me or whatever to get my attention. I just need to not hear people yelling constantly about poo poo I don't want to hear.

Should also add: I have a pair of sennheiser had 280 pros and they reduce noise slightly but nowhere near enough. I've put in foam earplugs and put the sennheisers on over that, and that has helped but then I have to deal with earplugs etc all day which makes it hard to hear people when I actually want to. Also hurts after an hour having those plugs in my ears.

metztli fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 8, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I know you said no IEMs but have you tried Westone? They are incredibly comfortable. IEMs will be your best bet for blocking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

I know you said no IEMs but have you tried Westone? They are incredibly comfortable. IEMs will be your best bet for blocking everything.

I grabbed a pair of bose qc30s today so that I could test if IEMs hurt like foam earplugs or earbuds do. They didn't hurt and did a decent job reducing noise. Sound quality was meh but at least I opened up a world of better options!

I will look into a pair Westones - people rave about them - and then return the qc30s if the Westones work out.

Thanks for the suggestion!