Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Starbound 1.0: First modder to fix the game wins being able to play a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
If I did put up a server, how many slots do you think we'd need? I'm thinking just 12 at first, and maybe bump up to 24 if demand is there. I am in the minority in that I am genuinely excited to play 1.0. Judging by the attitude of this thread, I don't imagine we'd need a large server, at least at first.

I'd plan for the server to be heavily modded, not only with gameplay fixes, but expansions into new features as well. I recognize that a lot of people here are disappointed with some things the game does now, but there is a really solid foundation game here, and the modding is very flexible. I'm sure we could get the game the way we'd want pretty easily.

Probably start out password-protected for Goon only, but then once it gets up on its feet, open it up to public with reserved spots or something I don't know.

http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/sb-starbound/ - 70% off on servers, this looks like a good way to go.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Starbound: Staff weren't treating it right so it had to be rehomed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Eyyyyy

It's launching with Workshop support

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I hope modding is easy and good because it could actually be an OK platform

afaik one of their major things way back was to have the game very moddable, but who knows

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

I hope modding is easy and good because it could actually be an OK platform

afaik one of their major things way back was to have the game very moddable, but who knows
Modding is actually very good and easy and people have done some cool things. Unlike Tiy. Nice.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Game launches tomorrow at 10am PST.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Modding is actually very good and easy and people have done some cool things. Unlike Tiy. Nice.

Starbound 1.0: Modding is actually very good and easy and people have done some cool things. Unlike Tiy. Nice.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Vib Rib posted:

i am glad of it :)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

DaveKap posted:

Well the original idea for it was that it was some PvP sector run off a central server. Seeing as how something like that being around would have been obvious if you'd played through the game, then is the new endgame just "the end of the plot" or is there more to do afterwards that would keep you playing?

The endgame is the same as the midgame and early game. Pillage radically different but somehow extremely samey worlds for a resource you need. Maybe spend some time tweaking your ship or a colony if you want. There's no real reason to do the plot quests and no payoff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

Starbound: Into the blue again (after the money's gone)

this is pretty powerful but I'm hesitant to make a Talking Heads reference directly in the thread title. I'm probably going to put this in the OP though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns

"Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Yeah, terrible!"

oddium posted:

it can't be a funny title. you gotta call it like just :starbound: and then buy the poop monster as an emoticon. dont use it in the op though, let them discover it. think outside the box on this one. i believe in you

yeah homie let me just spend more money on this game lmao

Revol posted:

Are there plans to have a Goon server for the game? If not, I might be willing to put one up, if there is enough interest.

if you make a server I'll put it in the OP

Neurolimal posted:

Cumguns are a modding inevitability. Like gravity or old age

this is looking like the new thread title so far, some good ones already though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Starbound 1.0: Kept you waiting, huh?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
starbound 1.0 - its also better than nothing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Starbound 1.0: It's been...10,000 years...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Starbound 1.0: Kept you waiting, huh?

Ahundredbux posted:

starbound 1.0 - its also better than nothing

RareAcumen posted:

Starbound 1.0: Hey, when's SUAJ Gaiden 2?

edit: hey babe magnet, might also want to consider this, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Starbound 1.0: Make Terraria Great Again

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wrist Watch posted:

Starbound 1.0: Make Terraria Great Again

it's always been great (well the hardmode start was bad)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

All I'm saying is a guy tried to take a thing that already seemed to be on the right track and "improve" it, only to hilariously mismanage the entire affair and make completely unnecessary and nonsensical changes to the original plan the entire way. And despite the guy making outright stupid decisions constantly, he inexplicably has a steady fanbase who thinks he can do no wrong.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm saying is a guy tried to take a thing that already seemed to be on the right track and "improve" it, only to hilariously mismanage the entire affair and make completely unnecessary and nonsensical changes to the original plan the entire way. And despite the guy making outright stupid decisions constantly, he inexplicably has a steady fanbase who thinks he can do no wrong.

Let me talk to you about marketing

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnqs_N6kn0

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Starbound 1.0: Parity with Starbound 0.3 Coming Soon

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/21/starbound-pc-review/

Starbound is good.

Starbound. is. good!!!!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I read most of this. If you can make your own fun, I'm sure you can find something fun to do in Starbound. But why not do it in a game with a better actual game underpinning it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Eh they always say that starbound is good

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you dudes are gonna like the new thread, I'm going through and updating all kind of poo poo

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Starbound: Randomly generated, but always the same.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"Their devblog is regularly update, too. Their discipline is absolutely incredible."

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I want to discipline tiy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

victrix posted:

"Their devblog is regularly update, too. Their discipline is absolutely incredible."

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 21, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I was sent on a quest to kill a bandit lord named Zac in retribution for his attempt to steal an entire ocean. He surrendered just before I finished flamethrowering him to death, and when I spoke to him, he offered to join my crew. Zac the ocean thief is my head of security now.

This game has undergone a few bone-headed changes during its development, but it's nice to see that it can still be fun to chill and explore planets every once in a while. :)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I typed 'wollay t<witter>' and it autocompleted to 'wollay took the money and ran'

I wish Cube World was a game under active dev and not a weekend hobby :eng99:

Oh, Starround. Uh. I'll con some friends into playing it again, we haven't played it in... how many years has it been?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

But enough about Mighty No. 9

victrix posted:

I typed 'wollay t<witter>' and it autocompleted to 'wollay took the money and ran'

I wish Cube World was a game under active dev and not a weekend hobby :eng99:

Oh, Starround. Uh. I'll con some friends into playing it again, we haven't played it in... how many years has it been?

RareAcumen posted:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so does having armor on in the endgame planets still let you take two hits before dying

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

The endgame is the same as the midgame and early game. Pillage radically different but somehow extremely samey worlds for a resource you need. Maybe spend some time tweaking your ship or a colony if you want. There's no real reason to do the plot quests and no payoff.

Ah, that saddens me. I was hoping the main quests would be interesting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starbound: I dunno, it's not terrible? Well, not great. Better than it was. It's okay I guess.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Starbound: Everyone except goons like it, buy Starbound

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is it releasing with all it's 1.0 features that they've been promising for years? Archaeology? The plasma guys? Full story?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

novakid have been in the game for a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I gave up a very long time ago.

• Locked thread