Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

It just kinda hit me the other day, but I realized that we're probably going to see remakes of the Harry Potter movies in our lifetimes. We'll also see the copyright on Mickey Mouse run out, which is also weird. But I think that's only classic Mickey, not any modern version. I'm not sure how that works.

Just lol if you haven't drunk yourself to death before then.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol, people still care about Zelda games

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jobson groeth posted:

Just lol if you haven't drunk yourself to death before then.

:69snypa:

:australia::hf::australia:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

We'll also see the copyright on Mickey Mouse run out

No we won't. Nobody ever will. Mickey should have been public domain several times already, but Disney keeps getting the law changed. They'll do it forever and eventually copyright will never run out on anything ever again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The actual shorts might become public domain (very unlikely) but Mickey Mouse as a character never will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The mouse is an entity that has far outlived his creator and is vastly more powerful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There is actually at least one person on this planet who wears a cap over his ears.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

rydiafan posted:

No we won't. Nobody ever will. Mickey should have been public domain several times already, but Disney keeps getting the law changed. They'll do it forever and eventually copyright will never run out on anything ever again.

Yeah, it's literally this. Disney will extend copyright until the heat death of the universe while slowly absorbing all intellectual property.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loving Clausewitz literally lost everything he even tried his hand at LMAO.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, it's literally this. Disney will extend copyright until the heat death of the universe while slowly absorbing all intellectual property.

I definitely think Disney is going to do everything in their power to do this and especially hold on to the mouse, but I also think the reason they're buying up every franchise in existence is because they understand there's a very good chance they're going to lose Mickey and all of Walt's creations fairly soon. I think we're going to see them moving further away from using Mickey as their main branding, even if they hold on to the 3 circles from his silhouette as a trademark.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

christmas boots posted:

When everything is Disney, then nothing will be.

*accidentally flings person he's monologuing to into a forest*

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Perogative is spelled Prerogative?
Perogative isn't even a word?????

i just got mandella'd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheMaskedUgly posted:

i just got mandella'd

The heck? And they changed the entry in all the Dictonarys in the pubic libary too!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always knew how it was spelled because I used to like New Edition and Bobby Brown and all that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think that's one of those facts I learn every few years and go "huh!" about, then forget about it so I can learn it anew in another few years

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"The Road To El Dorado" and "The Emperor's New Groove" are two separate movies

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hyperlynx posted:

"The Road To El Dorado" and "The Emperor's New Groove" are two separate movies

I used to have this confusion with Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Titan A.E. Turns out there were at least three mediocre-looking early-'00s animated sci-fi films I had no interest in seeing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

TheMaskedUgly posted:

i just got mandella'd

Have I been spelling this word incorrectly for my entire life?
Or have we both entered a different timeline at some point?
What in the absolute gently caress?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is what happens when kids don't get a free classical education lmao.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:laugh:

Before you look it up, how do you think you should spell the word for the paper the doctor gives you that you take to the pharmacy?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

Before you look it up, how do you think you should spell the word for the paper the doctor gives you that you take to the pharmacy?

prescription

ne: correct

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Paper? Lmao what is this, 1998?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I definitely think Disney is going to do everything in their power to do this and especially hold on to the mouse, but I also think the reason they're buying up every franchise in existence is because they understand there's a very good chance they're going to lose Mickey and all of Walt's creations fairly soon. I think we're going to see them moving further away from using Mickey as their main branding, even if they hold on to the 3 circles from his silhouette as a trademark.

Or they let the copyright go and argue the trademark (which lasts forever as long as they keep using it) lets them still block anyone else from selling anything with Mickey on it or making any new cartoons. Letting people make copies of Steamboat Willie won't impact their bottom line, losing out on the little kid backpack market will.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TheMaskedUgly posted:

i just got mandella'd

I had the same experience with barbituates - I still find it weird and awkward to pronounce the second r that is actually right there in 'barbiturates'

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm starting to wonder how many people in this thread say "libarry" and "pasgetti".

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Weembles posted:

I'm starting to wonder how many people in this thread say "libarry" and "pasgetti".

It's pronounced pass-KET-ee

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Weembles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcqgWKb_pvs

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Weembles posted:

No one, because it's pronounced sketty, obviously

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don Gato posted:

No one, because it's pronounced sketty, obviously

Sgetti surely

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Weembles posted:

Epi-TOME

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I can't get too upset over that one, since it means they learned it by reading it somewhere.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
That was me and 'segue'. In my mind it was pronounced 'seeg' and was a synonym for the then non-existent 'segway'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It took my brain far too long to figure out what loving word this was.

"epi-TOME. epi-TOME. What the gently caress is epi-... oh."

When we were growing up, my brother honestly thought Yukon was pronounced YUCK-on.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:06 on May 15, 2019

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

When we were growing up, my brother honestly thought Yukon was pronounced YUCK-on.

I had a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes collection books and one was called Yukon, Ho!

I didnt pronounce it right until I was like 15. I also didn't know it was a real place until like 15. Tbf Texas geography classes didnt teach much about Canada

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not a native speaker and I almost never speak English in real life, so I'm sure there's a bunch of words that I'm completely (mentally) mispronouncing because I've only ever seen them in print.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not a native speaker and I almost never speak English in real life, so I'm sure there's a bunch of words that I'm completely (mentally) mispronouncing because I've only ever seen them in print.

This is also the curse if precocious young readers, which I'm willing to bet a lot of goons were.

Apparently Quinoa is not pronounced Kin-oh-a

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Beachcomber posted:

This is also the curse if precocious young readers, which I'm willing to bet a lot of goons were.

I didn't learn this fact until I was like 29

Seriously how the gently caress are you supposed to get keen-wa out of that

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

I didn't learn this fact until I was like 29

Seriously how the gently caress are you supposed to get keen-wa out of that

It makes sense in Quechua :pseudo:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

quinoa is one of those words where even though I have learned the correct pronunciation I still somehow feel dumber saying it the right way than I do just going "KWINOAH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Awry took me some years because it's not exactly common in Anglophone television or cinema.