Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I am not that good at modpacks, but someone should do an HQM pack where you are in space, in a spacestation above the earth, limited habitable area on the station and you have to slowly extend your range into other parts (science lab, control room etc)
before getting to create a rocket to get back to earth to find that humanity has moved to Mars due to some infestation ( blightfall ) so you have to either get back to the station if you have the fuel or maybe find some fuel on the ground to get back into space to then go to the moon to get the type 3 rocket to get to mars and complete the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

I just tried Void. Was really good until i fell off the platform i was making in the nether and couldn't get any of my stuff back. So there goes that that.

Is there anything else similar but doesnt have that fall into the nothing lose your poo poo bullshit?

Void World is an interesting idea that was put together so sloppily and haphazardly that it messes up the good idea. I would definitely play a better made pack revolving around exploring and hqm to find new items that you can then duplicate in your projectE table.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I think I'm nearly incapable of managing items rather than turning them into EMC now.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I am not that good at modpacks, but someone should do an HQM pack where you are in space, in a spacestation above the earth, limited habitable area on the station and you have to slowly extend your range into other parts (science lab, control room etc)
before getting to create a rocket to get back to earth to find that humanity has moved to Mars due to some infestation ( blightfall ) so you have to either get back to the station if you have the fuel or maybe find some fuel on the ground to get back into space to then go to the moon to get the type 3 rocket to get to mars and complete the game

Welll I dunno exactly how good it is (I haven't played very far into it), but The Aftermath is pretty much exactly described by that first sentence.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm still sticking with the concept of an HQM pack based around Mystcraft with all the worlds pregenerated and with the main world focusing mainly on puzzles that can't be circumvented (indestructible blocks) with the side worlds being normal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

From a tech and programming perspective, how do multiblocks work in Minecraft? Specifically multiblock constructs with individual blocks you interact with. Examples are the big reactor with in and output gates, controller and fuel rods as well as the infusion altar in Thaumcraft where the pedestal and matrix can be interacted with. I'm not a programmer so I've always been really impressed but perplexed at how they work.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

I myself would like something similar to this except for a multiplayer environment, and instead of the goal of "getting to mars" its that the worlds have resources, weapons, and partially destroyed bases that you can either reclaim or scrap for resources for the space station. And instead of one world, you have multiple worlds with varying degrees of hostileness. Ultimately the space station will be the safe place in reclaimed sections.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I myself would like something similar to this except for a multiplayer environment, and instead of the goal of "getting to mars" its that the worlds have resources, weapons, and partially destroyed bases that you can either reclaim or scrap for resources for the space station. And instead of one world, you have multiple worlds with varying degrees of hostileness. Ultimately the space station will be the safe place in reclaimed sections.

Incorporating that villager mod into that as well would be great. You have an actual science team on the space station and expanding into the various sections unlocks positions they can work in, as you bring back artifacts and materials they in turn expand your options and technology. Sometimes you can rescue a new villager from cryo stasis in a ruin, some of them will have specializations. Some kind of upkeep (food) requirement and limited workspace encourages intelligent automation and designs.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

President Ark posted:

Dipped a toe into OMP-S and it's not really what I'm looking for. I suppose I should emphasize the "unique world" more - either something handbuilt like blightfall or something with really distinct and hostile worldgen like Obscurity or Regrowth (except not regrowth). Most of the packs I know that are like that are HQM, but it's not a requirement - I just want something where it's not the standard "punch trees to get wood" experience at the start and isn't just standard minecraft worldgen with maybe some extra poo poo thrown in.

I'll probably take a look at ME3.

I'm the pack maker so slightly shilly but, that OMP-S is horrifically outdated and kinda meh. I focused almost exclusively on i since I'm not a fan of my own pack. It's last update was last April and was a bugfix run.

However, the entire OMP series has kinda gone sour in their current incarnations anyway. The entire set is gonna get a solid do over this month to coincide with their birthday on the 27th. Keep an eye out for the new stuff is all I'll say.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

President Ark posted:

I'm still sticking with the concept of an HQM pack based around Mystcraft with all the worlds pregenerated and with the main world focusing mainly on puzzles that can't be circumvented (indestructible blocks) with the side worlds being normal.

That's really loving cool if you're actually making it and not just pitching it. Like ME3/4 but cooler.

You could even go all Banjo-Kazooie on it and have jiggiespages in the worlds and hub you need to collect to proceed.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Glory of Arioch posted:

1-chunk bases are legit

I keep thinking that I need to pay more attention to chunk alignment when I build contraptions. I'm pretty sure my Aelfheim portal switched off because it was loaded but its pylons weren't, for example.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
1-chunk bases are a fun building restriction, yeah. The greater challenge is building so that it doesn't seem like it's a single chunk but that's more on aesthetic than practicality.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

President Ark posted:

Got the minecraft itch again. What are some good HQM-based modpacks that put you in odd/stressful world situations that aren't just "produce literally all materials yourself"-type stuff like agrarian skies/regrowth?

e: thinking something like blightfall, that one pack set in the deep dark, that sort of thing.

Well, I recently dipped my toe into Journey to the Core, after watching some hilarious YouTube videos of it. Had lots of good times running around the cave dimension while getting blasted by sniper skeletons and gattling skeletons, and trying to make myself a home so that I can continue the quests to go to the Deep Dark, the Nether, and the End.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

Well, I recently dipped my toe into Journey to the Core, after watching some hilarious YouTube videos of it. Had lots of good times running around the cave dimension while getting blasted by sniper skeletons and gattling skeletons, and trying to make myself a home so that I can continue the quests to go to the Deep Dark, the Nether, and the End.

Stay the gently caress away from the Chance Icosahedrons.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
how the gently caress does the railcraft steam turbine work?

i'm playing regrowth and that was the first thing i made with my steel, but kinesis pipes aren't hooking up to it. i checked the documentation but it's literally three years out of date and acts as if Industrialcraft is still a thing that real human people use.

unrelatedly i am astounded at the stabilization effect area for the infusion altar. i figured i'd bang together a cute little symmetrical project to aesthetic it up and jesus christ

four layers under the grass to finally hit the bottom of AoE. can somebody at least tell me it's circular instead of square because holy poo poo i am not looking forward to clearing/replacing that much land to insure stability. honestly at this rate i am considering putting my Blood Magic altar there whenever I get around to starting that questline; there's so much room for activities under there!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

http://gfycat.com/ZestySkeletalBagworm

thaumcraft 5 golems are pretty nice

can't figure out how to embed a webum

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Buzzsaws for hands. :allears:

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Edminster posted:

holy poo poo i am not looking forward to clearing/replacing that much land to insure stability

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure only specific blocks count for stability, not basically any old piece of dirt. You only need to place candles, skulls, crystals, and arcane pedestals symmetrically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Goncyn posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure only specific blocks count for stability, not basically any old piece of dirt. You only need to place candles, skulls, crystals, and arcane pedestals symmetrically.

this is correct

you don't have to carve the land into a specific shape, just make sure that opposite the runic matrix from a skull, candle, crystal, or pedestal is another thing

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, you're right. There's a couple uncommon items that can also stand in for stability purposes (like Botania's mana pylons) but normal blocks are ignored entirely in the calculations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Goncyn posted:

oh thank christ; with all the talk about spamming candles and poo poo beneath i thought it checked every block and like an underground cave could gently caress you over.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

taiyoko posted:

IIRC, the only way to get keepInventory on is to use NBTEdit on your worldfile, because of some sort of anti-cheat setup.

For Void World, not true; as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, in the pre-map room you start in, there's a button on the wall behind you that toggles cheats.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Cryohazard posted:

Stay the gently caress away from the Chance Icosahedrons.

But I got so many. And only one has released a horde on me as of yet. And only one has blown up my base. And only one spawned a ghast on me in my new base.

Okay, I'll stay away. I was already doing that after the stuff above happened to me on my three first. Was hoping for artifacts.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So anyway, I showed it on my server, I might as well here.

It's baaaaaaaaack.

Or more specifically, will be.

Gonna be some fun times ahead.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 4, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait is it new OMP-Sigma?

I have been craving the sweet taste of Fun

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Datasmurf posted:

But I got so many. And only one has released a horde on me as of yet. And only one has blown up my base. And only one spawned a ghast on me in my new base.

Okay, I'll stay away. I was already doing that after the stuff above happened to me on my three first. Was hoping for artifacts.

Oh, no-one's saying don't open them. Just don't do it in your base, and make sure to get to minimum safe distance.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Wait is it new OMP-Sigma?

I have been craving the sweet taste of Death.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Losing

quote:

Losing is Fun!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

There is something in the Chance Cubes mod that can make them not as lovely, but I don't know if it's enabled on To The Core.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Edminster posted:

how the gently caress does the railcraft steam turbine work?

i'm playing regrowth and that was the first thing i made with my steel, but kinesis pipes aren't hooking up to it. i checked the documentation but it's literally three years out of date and acts as if Industrialcraft is still a thing that real human people use.

four layers under the grass to finally hit the bottom of AoE. can somebody at least tell me it's circular instead of square because holy poo poo i am not looking forward to clearing/replacing that much land to insure stability. honestly at this rate i am considering putting my Blood Magic altar there whenever I get around to starting that questline; there's so much room for activities under there!

This is probably my main issue with regrowth. The tutorial say, hey, go build this, and that's it. It doesnt actually tell you how to use it or anything.
As someone that doesnt play a great deal (or never used to) and doesnt really look online at the wiki's, Regrowth was a bitch to figure out.

Blightfall pretty much walked you through things (most things, AE2 ,lol nope) which is why i was able to do stuff.

Ive started regrowth twice and my 2nd time i sort of got it. But even now i still dont believe i know how to use the pipes. As soon as i got the pipe that colours everything that runs through it, then channeled those to a single chest i was pretty much doing stuff by hand.

I still dont exactly know how the drawer controller works. My first one was hooked up with pipes, my second one was as well but didnt work. My third one was similar to the 2nd but hosed things up in weird and wonderful ways. (my solution- in the general areas i now have a hopperhock attached to a super upgraded chest and the general air of 'gently caress it' so i can catch all the crap that gets shot out for reasons i cant fathom. - yes there is still space)

In Void, That bombing, can it be avoided? do you die if your outside? even inside i still get taken down to half a heart and 0 hunger.

I might give it a 3rd try.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edminster posted:

oh thank christ; with all the talk about spamming candles and poo poo beneath i thought it checked every block and like an underground cave could gently caress you over.

All you really need are a bunch of Botania pylons. You can also make the abacus in the witchery section your thaumonomicon that will tell you the stability of your altar when you right click it on the infusion matrix.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

All you really need are a bunch of Botania pylons. You can also make the abacus in the witchery section your thaumonomicon that will tell you the stability of your altar when you right click it on the infusion matrix.

It seems the abacus doesn't account for things that add stability that aren't directly part of thaumcraft. it SEEMS that way, but I don't know. Can anyone confirm?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Meskhenet posted:

This is probably my main issue with regrowth. The tutorial say, hey, go build this, and that's it. It doesnt actually tell you how to use it or anything.
As someone that doesnt play a great deal (or never used to) and doesnt really look online at the wiki's, Regrowth was a bitch to figure out.

Blightfall pretty much walked you through things (most things, AE2 ,lol nope) which is why i was able to do stuff.

Ive started regrowth twice and my 2nd time i sort of got it. But even now i still dont believe i know how to use the pipes. As soon as i got the pipe that colours everything that runs through it, then channeled those to a single chest i was pretty much doing stuff by hand.

yeah i'm on run #3 and i would have stalled out already but somebody mentioned that Millenaire is in the mod and i loving love those little villages so i'm actually making an effort. furthest i had gotten before this was getting to the dreamworld back before there was anything actually there and i stalled out then because i couldn't get enough vis for crafting or aspects for research. i very nearly hosed myself over with research this time but i accidentally clicked on Whisperweed so now i can trade mana for aspects.

SugarAddict posted:

It seems the abacus doesn't account for things that add stability that aren't directly part of thaumcraft. it SEEMS that way, but I don't know. Can anyone confirm?

it doesn't even seem to account for thaumcraft stuff unless infusion is even more obtuse than i thought. i've something like a dozen skeleton heads, a handful of crystal clusters, and a bunch of those wrought iron lamps that claim to be infusion stabilizers and the stability still reads as a goose egg. despite that i managed to infuse that wacky vis-transmuting wand core so now crafting opens up since the million+ nodes of perditio turn into all flavours.

pro-tip for getting vis with gently caress-all for nodes: slaughter a shitload of chickens. when i was low before i'd chuck like 32 stacks of egg down a hole and slaughter whatever grew up, and that was usually good to fill a greatwood wand.

semi-relatedly, what items have auram as an aspect? only thing i've found so far is the stuff what pops out a node when you punch it a lot, and i don't really want to kill all these nodes for such a tiny bit of auram essence which is necessary for thaumium cap infusion and probably a lot more. also: can you put any caps on any wand cores like parts from tinker's construct or are they locked in to iron/stick gold/greatwood thaumium/silverwood etc?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can put any cap on any wand. Better wand cores increase capacity, better caps reduce vis usage. Don't use iron caps or normal wood cores (greatwood cores are fine) if you want to benefit from the Node Preservation research.

Ethereal Essence (the wispy stuff that comes out of nodes) is really the only reliable way to get auram. If you want to amass it you have basically two options. The easy way that requires Botania infrastructure is to research Euclidaisy from the Apocrypha tab in your Thaumonomicon. Those eat botania mana and spit out ethereal essence.

The harder way is to find one of those obelisks that are a portal to the Thaumcraft nightmare dimension, and kill the endlessly spawning eldritch guardians. They drop 'em.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
A tip for Void World. The dark matter pickaxe you get at the start should be turned into a dark matter sword asap. You can get coal for Aeternalis fuel by rushing the uncrafting table (it's in the basement of the house at -550 -945, if you go left from your house it's the third one) and making an openblocks sketching pencil from charcoal and two sticks then uncrafting it.. Take that, a pick and a few stacks of torches from the tablet and just loving spam the sword aoe, it two-shots every single mob in a 4-5 block radius aoe through walls and you can clear the mob infested buildings with ease.

I cheated myself a super builder wand at the start for more easily constructing a cobblestone spawn cage in the nether so ghasts would be unable to fly away when they spawned.

Now I'm thinking about playing through that pack again; it was a lot of fun.

Also, the blaze loop is alive and well. EnderIO Sag Mills with dark steel rolling balls will triple your EMC, letting you get dark/red matter armor in a matter (heh) of hours.

Edminster posted:

semi-relatedly, what items have auram as an aspect?

Also, wisp drops. Certain obsidian totem structures have wisp spawners under them.

Meskhenet posted:

I still dont exactly know how the drawer controller works.

In Void, That bombing, can it be avoided? do you die if your outside? even inside i still get taken down to half a heart and 0 hunger.

I might give it a 3rd try.

From the first result from googling 'drawer controller minecraft',

quote:

Drawer Controllers are the second special block in the mod. They will search for any connected drawer within 12 blocks, and then expose all of those drawers as a large combined inventory. This lets you hook up a single pipe, tube, duct, spark, storage bus, etc. and interact with the entire bank of drawers.

The second function of the controller is as a deposit-only interactive block. By right-clicking on the front face with an item, the item will be deposited into the connected network. By double-right clicking, it will attempt to dump your entire inventory. Items will only be dumped if they already exist in the network, allowing you to clear out a bunch of mob drops or farmed crops without literally dumping your entire inventory.

Also, I didn't find a way to avoid the bombing but it's not really that big of a problem when you have virtually infinite food.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 5, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ambaire posted:

A tip for Void World. The dark matter pickaxe you get at the start should be turned into a dark matter sword asap. You can get coal for Aeternalis fuel by rushing the uncrafting table (it's in the basement of the house at -550 -945, if you go left from your house it's the third one) and making an openblocks sketching pencil from charcoal and two sticks then uncrafting it.. Take that, a pick and a few stacks of torches from the tablet and just loving spam the sword aoe, it two-shots every single mob in a 4-5 block radius aoe through walls and you can clear the mob infested buildings with ease.

I cheated myself a super builder wand at the start for more easily constructing a cobblestone spawn cage in the nether so ghasts would be unable to fly away when they spawned.

Now I'm thinking about playing through that pack again; it was a lot of fun.

Also, the blaze loop is alive and well. EnderIO Sag Mills with dark steel rolling balls will triple your EMC, letting you get dark/red matter armor in a matter (heh) of hours.

Also, wisp drops. Certain obsidian totem structures have wisp spawners under them.

From the first result from googling 'drawer controller minecraft',

Also, I didn't find a way to avoid the bombing but it's not really that big of a problem when you have virtually infinite food.

Where is voidworld? which launcher?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Didn't it outright lie about the AE2 stuff by saying you don't need a controller?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

xanthan posted:

Didn't it outright lie about the AE2 stuff by saying you don't need a controller?

But you don't need a controller to use ae2(so long as you've got a small enough network)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

senae posted:

But you don't need a controller to use ae2(so long as you've got a small enough network)

Uh, would a drive hub thingy full of the second smallest drives not be small enough? I'll take a pic when I get home I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The ME drive takes up one channel. So would the ME terminal to access those drives. Ad-hoc AE networks can have up to 8 active channels before requiring an ME controller so it should be small enough.