Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lady Naga posted:

Most first world countries have universities actually.

But is the vernacular "uni" common in all of them? It would be out of place in US & Canada, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lady Naga posted:

Most first world countries have universities actually.

Generally, in America, we don't refer to it as "Uni". In some countries, they say they're still at "uni" or whatever; here, we generally call it "school" or "college" and not "Uni".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Subjunctive posted:

But is the vernacular "uni" common in all of them? It would be out of place in US & Canada, for example.

It's just a shortened version of "university" I'm not sure why it'd be specific to certain geographic regions.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Lady Naga posted:

It's just a shortened version of "university" I'm not sure why it'd be specific to certain geographic regions.

It's only common in English speaking countries outside the US. There's no reason the person couldn't be an American using it, but it's not unreasonable to assume they're not.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Saying Uni was fairly common on the east coast of Canada in my experience. Not everyone says it, but it's not out of place if you do.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

"Uni" as opposed to School or College is common in Australia and New Zealand also.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

goose fleet posted:

For all of these SIMPLE, NATURAL CURES for various conditions there sure are a lot of people that still seem to have them

You see BIG PHARMA just wants to feed you pills and doesn't want you to know a clove of garlic can cure cancer and rheumatism, and furthermore

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Is he talking about how Mya Taylor won a Film Independent Spirit Award?
http://www.etonline.com/news/183313_transgender_actress_mya_taylor_makes_history_with_independent_film_spirit_award_win/

Leave it to Matt Walsh to be a dumbass about something like that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
No. The Danish Girl

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Should someone tell him that, by not liking The Danish Girl, he's siding with trans activists?

Someone should tell him. :allears:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

The only time I hear people use 'university' is if it's in the name, like saying Harvard University. Otherwise it's college. So you might attend Emory University, but you tell people you go to college.

I have heard British people say they attend university though. So I think that was his point. Most Americans don't say university, so they wouldn't say 'uni' for short. It's as odd as calling their tv a 'telly' or their face a 'slappy ham'.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In Canada "College" refers to a vocational school, like a Community College, and "University" is used for anything that gives out Bachelors Degrees or higher.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

I can assure you that here in the US someone calling it "university" or "uni" would sound like they were trying to put on a silly Madonna-esque British/European affectation. Most commonly it's called "college."

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah what's the deal with regionalisms???

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
This one made me sad.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

The only time I hear people use 'university' is if it's in the name, like saying Harvard University. Otherwise it's college. So you might attend Emory University, but you tell people you go to college.

I have heard British people say they attend university though. So I think that was his point. Most Americans don't say university, so they wouldn't say 'uni' for short. It's as odd as calling their tv a 'telly' or their face a 'slappy ham'.

You do hear people in the US calling places with university in the name "_____ U" though

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I didn't think my abbreviation would start a discussion, but leave it to goons to be pedantic. For the record, I am an American, and I shortened University to Uni because, frankly, I am lazy. I wasn't even aware it was a regional thing :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommonShore posted:

In Canada "College" refers to a vocational school, like a Community College, and "University" is used for anything that gives out Bachelors Degrees or higher.

Some colleges in Canada award bachelors; Ontario at least. The difference is which part of the provincial acts the school is chartered under, but afaik in all provinces universities have a senate that determines the programs offered, while colleges need approval from the ministry.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SpliffClavin posted:

This one made me sad.

Whiskey makes the hurt feel good.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

SpliffClavin posted:

This one made me sad.

I dunno man, JD can be helluva expensive at times.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
lmao if you're below 40 and think you have the kind of problems that require drinking

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Subjunctive posted:

There's one referenced study there that would be interesting to read (other than the one linking lavender oil to gynecomastia, whoops), but I don't have journal access.
Which one?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What country are you in that has people who are that deeply unhinged about a foreign healthcare plan? "Uni" usually means the U.K., Australia, or New Zealand, so it would be pretty weird for this lady to get that upset about it.
You'd be surprised. I had to unfollow a couple of my friends on Facebook (Australians living in Australia with no ties to the US) because they were just constantly posting about American politics.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If I met someone who called "college" "uni" I'd assume they are either non-American or have a closet full of fedoras.

Ditto with "maths".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

If I met someone who called "college" "uni" I'd assume they are either non-American or have a closet full of fedoras.

Ditto with "maths".

There's a guy at work who used "expiry" in place of "expiration date" on the phones with customers.

Fortunately I'm in a position where I was able to tell him to knock it off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

Which one?

Actually, both of these, though I don't know if the first journal is worthwhile.

quote:

Fibler M, Quante A. A case series on the use of lavendula oil capsules in patients suffering from major depressive disorder and symptoms of psychomotor agitation, insomnia and anxiety. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(1):63-9.

Graham PH, Browne L, Cox H, Graham J. Inhalation aromatherapy during radiotherapy: results of a placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21(12):2372-6.

There's one that says "relaxation effect is all in the subject's expectation", too!

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Elderbean posted:

I don't have anything on the ratio of murders to self-defense, but this report shows a significantly higher risk of suicide, and an increased risk of homicide during a domestic dispute. I mean, it SHOULD be common sense. Violent armed robberies are rare, people getting emotional and making poor decisions is not.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full.pdf

Unfortunately the research is limited, the CDC for instance, virtually had no money allocated for research on violence due to legislation passed in the 90's. They were also not allowed to make statements based on their research that promoted any kind of gun control.

Thanks.

Eponine posted:

Just Google "Florida" plus the synopsis of the news story.

Looks like the first one did indeed happen in Florida. I can't find the second one. No matter.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2015...il=emailclassic

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
One of my friends shared the lavender lemonade thing a while back and I believe I read that it uses essential oils, which are at best harmless and at worst dangerous to directly ingest.

Subjunctive posted:

Actually, both of these, though I don't know if the first journal is worthwhile.

There's one that says "relaxation effect is all in the subject's expectation", too!

The first is freely available as open access (It's from Elsevier who recently lost a bunch of major executives over an ongoing debate about subscription fees and access to information - in an attempt to keep up with a Russian site that cracks subscription keys, Elsevier has been trying to do more open access stuff although IIRC they pass the fact that they won't make money onto the cost of submitting an open access paper to the journal): http://www.complementarytherapiesinmedicine.com/article/S0965-2299%2813%2900193-3/fulltext

I have access to the second one but can't post it here because :filez:

Here is a snippet from the discussion section, though!

quote:

We conclude that, as administered in this study, aromatherapy does not reduce anxiety or depression levels in patients under going radiotherapy. It is possible that it may contribute to persistent anxiety. This may be explained by a negative Pavlovian effect induced by the association of the aromas with the anxiety provoking experience of radiotherapy. A Medical Research Council–funded randomized trial is in progress in the United Kingdom, which separates the time and location of the aromatherapy from the cancer treatment to avoid this potential
problem. However, this creates difficulties with additional travel for patients, and the study does not offer a pure test of aromatherapy because it also incorporates massage. Of course, if the components of the essential oils are significantly pharmacologically anxiolytic, this would counter the postulated negative Pavlovian effects.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

One of my friends shared the lavender lemonade thing a while back and I believe I read that it uses essential oils, which are at best harmless and at worst dangerous to directly ingest.

That's not how you make lavender lemonade. You use the dried flowers. Of course, I could see some idiot thinking they could lifehack it by just dumping lavender essential oil into lemonade. :cripes:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Shbobdb posted:

Ditto with "maths".

wh...what would you call it other than "maths"??

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

MissEchelon posted:

wh...what would you call it other than "maths"??

"Math." There's just the one when you're 'murcan. :911:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Karma Monkey posted:

That's not how you make lavender lemonade. You use the dried flowers. Of course, I could see some idiot thinking they could lifehack it by just dumping lavender essential oil into lemonade. :cripes:

From the article (I googled it):

quote:

Lavender oil is one of the most powerful oil for health and wellness. It has a chemically complex structure containing more than 150 active constituents. It also has amazing antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and detoxifying properties. It also is freaking delicious.

Ingredients:

6 organic lemons, peeled and juiced.
1 drop of lavender essential oil.
12 cups of pure water.
1 cup of raw honey.

Preparation:

Mix all the ingredients together, chill, and serve over ice.

Now at least it's only one drop but how much do you want to bet people will modify that recipe for extra flavor?

Hilariously, I wanted to make sure I was right about essential oils being dangerous and:

quote:

Perhaps most importantly, lavender oil should never be ingested, only topically applied or inhaled through means of aromatherapy or similar activities. Ingestion can cause serious health complications, characterized by blurred vision, difficult breathing, burning eyes, vomiting, and diarrhea. So, even if you think that lavender oil is a wonderful miracle cure, don’t get excited and start putting it on your food!
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-lavender-essential-oil.html

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Feb 29, 2016

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

goose fleet posted:

lmao if you're below 40 and think you have the kind of problems that require drinking

My brother drank a lot when his wife and baby were murdered :shrug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FAROOQ posted:

Corporal punishment builds character. Just as hitting a child helps to strengthen personality; a righteous whack helps knock the liberalism out of a smug broad. A good right hook will tend to smack four years of liberal arts right out of her head. A slap across the mouth, from time to time, helps to deepen her personality – by bringing her back in contract with traditional feminine roles. Daily life was never intended to be without pain.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Now at least it's only one drop but how much do you want to bet people wHilariously, I wanted to make sure I was right about essential oils being dangerous and:ill modify that recipe for extra flavor?

:lol: at that whole recipe. Organic lemons, pure water, raw honey. Know what works just as well? Store brand bottled lemon juice, tap water, and white sugar.

I agree some people will definitely use way more oil drops for extra flavor because people do that with everything. "If a little is good, a lot more will be better." I'm sticking with the dried flowers. I don't think lavender lemonade cures anything; I just like how it tastes.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Now at least it's only one drop but how much do you want to bet people will modify that recipe for extra flavor?

Hilariously, I wanted to make sure I was right about essential oils being dangerous and:
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-lavender-essential-oil.html

The explosive butt torrent is the toxins flushing out the body.

Nice recipe for crunchy mom lemonade though. Switch it to agave for extra fructose to make their special little snowflake even more special.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

The explosive butt torrent is the toxins flushing out the body.

Nice recipe for crunchy mom lemonade though. Switch it to agave for extra fructose to make their special little snowflake even more special.

Ahem, don't you mean organic free trade agave?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Karma Monkey posted:

Ahem, don't you mean organic free trade agave?

Can you get non organic free trade agave? It's the HFCS that costs 10000000x the price and caters to crunchy moms.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Can you get non organic free trade agave? It's the HFCS that costs 10000000x the price and caters to crunchy moms.

Hell if I know! I've got holes in my brain from using Splenda. :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FAROOQ posted:

There's a 7 year old somewhere who saw more bad poo poo last week than I've seen in my whole life.

So yeah, there are exceptions to the drinking rule. Suffer enough pain and you can put all the whiskey you want in that sippy cup.