Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Disney please re-release the Blu Rays to fix this oversight, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I get that, but you can apply that same line of thinking to many elements of the setting, starting with the very basics. Humans didn't evolve in a vacuum either, yet there they are in a galaxy far far away. Swords and sword fighting arose in certain cultural/historical contexts on Earth, so did Jazz music, so did monks.

I think we're being a bit obtuse towards him. A better comparison, I feel, would be like if Han walked into the mos cantina and said "this place stinks worse than La Faena!".

It's a matter of some influences being vague enough or obscure enough that people don't question it, and others being so on-the-nose that they struggle to accept it in a fantasy setting. I'd probably be taken out of the film if the jedi kids younglings literally flee to Michaels to buy lightsaber power crystal fingerpaints.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL laser moon!

I know right. Laser moon 2 was canonically complete.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Emperor is the best Star Wars character. Even including his appearances in all the prequels. Fuckin love Sheev man.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

When TFA comes out in China, it'll be Chinese speaking humans.

Dex's is jarring because a 1950's style diner does not exist in a vacuum. There were economic and social factors that made those specific style restaurants possible, chiefly among them trains and highways. Diners look like diners because they were manufactured in a factory and delivered to their happy four-armed frog proprietors via highways. They were also made to look like train cars. Neither trains nor highways appear to exist in the Star Wars universe.

I mean, at least make it float or something. The architecture has absolutely nothing to do with the Star Wars universe. It's like sticking a bunch of Sand People in a Best Buy and saying it's not weird.

The Prequels take place in the 1950's

The Original Trilogy takes place in the 1970's and 1980's

Order 66 is JFK

American Graffiti: "Where were you in '62?"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sheev is the dumbest loving thing and I hate that people here latched onto it. Not sure if trolling or people genuinely like that stupid name.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Sheev is the dumbest loving thing and I hate that people here latched onto it. Not sure if trolling or people genuinely like that stupid name.

:agreed:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

There are live snakes and lizards in ESB. Like straight from the zoo. But no a diner is too far Lucas.

but people like empire and jedi duhhhhhhhh

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

why is it trolling? people don't call han "solo", or leia "organa"

Sheev is his name

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Uh, Finn calls him Solo, are you saying Finn is not a person?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Let the hate flow through you. It makes you stroongahh!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Can wait til we meet his test tube daughter, Linda Palpatine. we already have, she goes by Rey

Waffles Inc. posted:

why is it trolling? people don't call han "solo", or leia "organa"

Sheev is his name

You're not on first name basis with him. You wouldn't just walk up to Obama and call him Barry. He's emperor of the goddamn galaxy, show some respect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

It's endearingly stupid and fits the campy tone of his character perfectly

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

The first wave of newborns named Sheev should be on their way as we speak. Sheev might be your son-in-law someday, and as he visits your hospice bedside in the decades to come, a faint "Sheev..." will be heard on your faltering, dying breath.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Vintersorg posted:

Obi-wan comes from the planet Stewjon. This is canon.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Danger posted:

Obi-wan comes from the planet Stewjon. This is canon.

Seriously? Did the Daily Show ever do a segment on this?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The most epic Star Wars character gets the most epic Star Wars name

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A preternaturally masterful manipulator like Palpatine would absolutely have a silly, dumb-sounding name like Sheev.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Seriously? Did the Daily Show ever do a segment on this?

Jon Stewart asked about Kenobi's home planet at a Star Wars convention thing, and George explained that had been the planet's name in an early draft of Star Wars he wrote in the 70s that he likely threw away decades ago.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I bet all the people who say sheev also say eggman instead of robotnik

Filthy, disgusting people.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I bet all the people who say sheev also say eggman instead of robotnik

Filthy, disgusting people.

So which princess do you save from which horned monster in Super Mario Bros.?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

I think you mean Super Jumpman Bros. :colbert:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Red posted:

Princess Peach from Bowser, Toadstool is a myth by the ishroominatti and Cranky Kong has a horn but is not horned. :colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You save Princess Peach Toadstool from King Bowser Koopa

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I save Princess Daisy Ridley from Supreme Leader Tatanga

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

I know right. Laser moon 2 was canonically complete.

The weapon system was complete; the sphere less so.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dex's is jarring because a 1950's style diner does not exist in a vacuum. There were economic and social factors that made those specific style restaurants possible, chiefly among them trains and highways. Diners look like diners because they were manufactured in a factory and delivered to their happy four-armed frog proprietors via highways. They were also made to look like train cars. Neither trains nor highways appear to exist in the Star Wars universe.

Your mistake is in concluding this is an accident, and not the entire point.

Dex is a working-class trucker/ex-con/dockworker archetype who, we are told, used to work as a miner. He runs a diner because that's what he's familiar with from all his time on the road. He's trying to bring that kind of cheap, friendly service to Coruscant. His restaurant is tiny and right on the sidewalk. It's pretty much a hotdog stand.

This diner design is alien to the Star Wars universe because when was the last time you saw a character in these films doing work? Work, in Star Wars, happens in the background, in blind spots - if it happens at all. For Luke, it's something to escape. For Anakin, it's something to repress/destroy.

This design is vital characterization for Dex because the entire point of his character is that he has the hands-on experience that the pampered Jedi lack. Without google, Obiwan is helpless.

This is where we suddenly segue into Dex's uncomfortable anti-droid racism. His class-based resentment is displaced onto the 'stupid' droids who, in his view, don't do real work.

This is crazy good design work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

The weapon system was complete; the sphere less so.

"Fully operational" laser moon. That's the quote. How do you define the Essence of a Thing? By what it does and how it is used. The laser moon blows poo poo up and that's what it did. Sure there was probably empire account managers with punch lists a mile long hounding contractors but it was complete.

Also you know it was purposely made to look like that because "it's a trap!"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Military work is still work, you classist dickhole

e: Death Star Laser Moon 2 is a 2nd order simulacrum, Starkiller Base is a 3rd order simulacrum.

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 6, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

"Fully operational" laser moon. That's the quote.

A car without its metal shell is still fully functional (not for long, but still), doesn't make it a round-shaped car yet :colbert:

quote:

Also you know it was purposely made to look like that because "it's a trap!"

Maybe it was half-finished, and they just rotated it to show the finished side :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Military work is still work, you classist dickhole

I'm talking production.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I get that, but you can apply that same line of thinking to many elements of the setting, starting with the very basics. Humans didn't evolve in a vacuum either, yet there they are in a galaxy far far away. Swords and sword fighting arose in certain cultural/historical contexts on Earth, so did Jazz music, so did monks.

But a Star Wars sword isn't an Earth sword. In fact, I don't think there's a bladed weapon in a Star Wars movie that isn't a halberd or ax. Which seems odd since laser swords are a thing. You'd think people would be suitably impressed and use the closest version available.

What I'm getting at is even Jedi sometimes want a quick meal in a small casual restaurant that maybe fills the same purpose as a diner but isn't a literal 1950's diner. Take away the aliens and the robots and Biff could walk in yelling "McFLY!"

So sure - utilize Earth concepts because, as an Earth audience that's what we're going to understand. But not exact replicas of things you'd find on Earth. Lucas used a building that only existed in mass quantities for a very limited time in one country. An analogue would be the Skywalker ranch having a Danish windmill.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Your mistake is in concluding this is an accident, and not the entire point.

Dex is a working-class trucker/ex-con/dockworker archetype who, we are told, used to work as a miner. He runs a diner because that's what he's familiar with from all his time on the road. He's trying to bring that kind of cheap, friendly service to Coruscant. His restaurant is tiny and right on the sidewalk. It's pretty much a hotdog stand.

This diner design is alien to the Star Wars universe because when was the last time you saw a character in these films doing work? Work, in Star Wars, happens in the background, in blind spots - if it happens at all. For Luke, it's something to escape. For Anakin, it's something to repress/destroy.

This design is vital characterization for Dex because the entire point of his character is that he has the hands-on experience that the pampered Jedi lack. Without google, Obiwan is helpless.

This is where we suddenly segue into Dex's uncomfortable anti-droid racism. His class-based resentment is displaced onto the 'stupid' droids who, in his view, don't do real work.

This is crazy good design work.

Except this design relegates the racism to the past; by entering Dex's diner, they are transported to a time where racism is an issue (note that you rarely see as much active racism outside the diner), just as slavery only exists on Tatooine. The issue is uncomfortable but is displayed in a "mostly resolved" fashion; reduced down to a clown alien offending a minstrel droid in a fast food joint styled after a uncomfortable "datk point in history". The audience is separated from this on so many layers that the racism becomes the least noticable aspect. Especially when two of the most droid-friendly characters take little notice of it.

A better scenario which would both approach the subject and provide more time for developing the war would involve them visiting munitions or ship development factor to meet dexter, who simultaneously complains about the imperials who bemoan his natural advantage, while also assaulting and feeling threatened by the new droideka specialized towards building parts; the effects of war on Coruscant are displayed, Dexter's racism is retained, a venue for more appealing effects is provided, a setting more familiar with a 9/11 america is established, and the cycle of "privileged" minorities undercutting newer "unprivileged" minorities (hispanics towards blacks, conga line of asian american ethnicities) in bigoted ways is displayed. All without lengthening or significantly changing the workings of the scene. As an added bonus, the existence of droids/muslims being exploited and threatened on both sides of the war is made apparent.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 6, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The most grievous part of Dexter Jettster isn't even his diner - it's the mustache.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexter Jettser was the best frycook in the galaxy, and a cunning manager. And a good friend.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Krangdar posted:

I love how he's this master manipulator living a whole double life for decades but when it comes to ruining the Jedi he mostly does with the truth, or by turning their own beliefs against them.

He mostly did it with a phone call.

quote:

I save Princess Daisy Ridley from Supreme Leader Tatanga

:golfclap:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 6, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I saw no Death Stars in TFA, only a Star Deather. There's a big difference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Beeez posted:

I saw no Death Stars in TFA, only a Star Deather. There's a big difference.

Uhh hello, it's called the Sun Crusher.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how much of the dissatisfaction with the prequels comes from already knowing what's going to happen. Part of my enjoyment of media, and I assume others', comes from mystery and suspense. We know who makes it out of the prequels alive and the general story beats that are going to happen and, knowing that, one can view the details through a microscope and pick them apart. I'm not a fan of dreams or flashbacks for the same reason that I can't, generally, enjoy prequels - there are no stakes since we know how it all turns out. It'd be nice to do a mindwipe in order to be able to watch them all in chronological order.

I wonder if the kids who grow up on this new trilogy will look at the OT the way many look at the PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wonder how much of the dissatisfaction with the prequels comes from already knowing what's going to happen. Part of my enjoyment of media, and I assume others', comes from mystery and suspense. We know who makes it out of the prequels alive and the general story beats that are going to happen and, knowing that, one can view the details through a microscope and pick them apart. I'm not a fan of dreams or flashbacks for the same reason that I can't, generally, enjoy prequels - there are no stakes since we know how it all turns out. It'd be nice to do a mindwipe in order to be able to watch them all in chronological order.

I wonder if the kids who grow up on this new trilogy will look at the OT the way many look at the PT.

The Back to the Future series was, is, and will continue to be critically praised.

It leaves less room for surprise, but surprise is not the only positive reaction, and if surprise was a must the prequels could have gone further back, with new characters. The sith-jedi rulings are cylical, after all.

• Locked thread