Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

Everyday sadism was assessed by the Comprehensive Assessment of Sadistic Tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fruit on the bottom posted:

My favorite part

Guinness makes sense now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Blue Star posted:

When i have diarreah, or really whenever i have to take a dump, i always say "Wow, looks like I got myself a case of the Poops." Always to no one in particular since i never interact with anyone or speak to anyone, though i do say it aloud. I feel it conveys the information better.

I hope it never stops cause you're a poo poo poster.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Potato Salad posted:

Guinness makes sense now.

Guinness isn't even that bitter :confused:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had a vanilla cream New York Seltzer and it sure hit the spot. Best of the soda and seltzer worlds!

Also The Raid is better than The Raid 2.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I like both bitter things and sweet things, because I am a normal person who does not define myself by flavours I enjoy.

thats my unpopular opinion, that it's okay to like two things that are quite different

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If you make a conscious effort to cut out sugar from your diet it doesn't take long for sweet things to start tasting cloying and downright bad.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The Coke Zero version of their flavours are all way better than the original versions. They taste the same, but don't have that sticky lacquer feel in your mouth.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aramek posted:

The Coke Zero version of their flavours are all way better than the original versions. They taste the same, but don't have that sticky lacquer feel in your mouth.

Truth. Like I enjoy a Mexican Coke on occasion, but Coke Zero is a real champion.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Guinness isn't even that bitter :confused:

It's honestly kind of sweet.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Coke Zero is the only good Coca Cola

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Based just on the trailer, Baby Driver looks insufferably bad with all the emphasis on music and how the character uses music. I also really dislike Edgar Wright's directing style despite watching all his movies. Also I'm happy he left Ant-Man because I'm convinced his version would have been worse.

Spaced was ok. Go back to TV, Edgar Wright.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I dig him but I'm kind of surprised there aren't more Edgar Wright haters out there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Munchables posted:

Coke Zero is the only good Coca Cola

I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainworm posted:

That's exactly the problem I'm describing: you're seeing fixing problems as "maintenance" and saying that government requires some separate, highly-directive, visonary process in order to work. My unpopular opinion is that it doesn't.

You don't need a coherent, values-driven political vision to have an effective government, and having one is a hindrance to the extent that it excludes good solutions for not conforming to some nebulous value articulation like "everyone should have health care," "unions are good/bad," or "we need more manufacturing jobs."

Like, the difference between good and bad government is 100% implementation and 0% ideology. You literally can't evaluate a proposition like "health care is too expensive." All you can do is evaluate specific proposals for lowering health care costs and compromise among stakeholders until you get something workable, then keep throwing implementation fixes at the thing until it's an ideologically incoherent patchwork of compromises and workarounds.

Somewhere in the process, someone will say something like "how is it right that drug X costs more than drug Y?" The only honest response is "it might not be, but it works."

When I say "maintenance" I'm referring to taking care of problems we already know how to solve. Stuff like maintaining a water treatment plant or whatever (though even then there's an ideological element in the sense that any money/resources spent towards one goal could also be spent towards another goal).

But there are (many) times when you might need to prioritize different goals, and how you do so doesn't have some objectively "correct" solution. If your goal is cheap health care, are you willing to tax the wealthy more to help achieve that goal? A lot of ideological arguments with regards to government policy end up coming down to whether you think government spending (and the associated increased taxation and/or increased inflation) is worth the results of that spending. There are a bunch of government roles where there don't happen to be much/any ideological disagreement among American citizens/politicians, but that doesn't mean they're still somehow "not ideological."

And then there's the fact that you often can't guarantee the result of a particular policy, so you have to determine how much risk you're willing to shoulder. Is it worth the risk of destabilizing a region to try and crack down on an authoritarian regime? Any sort of policy that hasn't been tried before (or tried under certain conditions) also carries some risk of unintended negative consequences, because fields like economics or finance aren't precise sciences and we can't predict the future.

How you evaluate specific proposals depends upon your ideology. A specific proposal can only be better or worse than another with respect to a particular set of values. Once you've decided "I want to accomplish (insert concrete goal) and I'm willing to shoulder (insert costs) in order to do it", then you can craft some policy that most effectively work given those constraints.

I feel like what I'm saying here is so simple and self-evidently true that I keep rereading your post to see if there's some different point there, but I'm not coming up with anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Based just on the trailer, Baby Driver looks insufferably bad with all the emphasis on music and how the character uses music. I also really dislike Edgar Wright's directing style despite watching all his movies. Also I'm happy he left Ant-Man because I'm convinced his version would have been worse.

Spaced was ok. Go back to TV, Edgar Wright.
Baby Driver looks p. good, but I admit looks like something I'd appreciate way more as a teenager.

:agreed: on Ant-Man, and I really like Edgar Wright.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I dig him but I'm kind of surprised there aren't more Edgar Wright haters out there.
:same:

PHUO: The World's End is the best Wright movie by far and the Invasion of the Body-Snatchers plot almost ruins it. I genuinely wanted to see Gary King's story play out without smashy smashy eggmans getting in the way, even if it was really well done. Hot Fuzz is great but mostly brilliant on a screenwriting level, and drags like crazy in the second act.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of opinions about movies that have the word "Baby" in the title, Boss Baby wasn't that bad. I'd watch it again. It's a pretty stupid concept for a movie so I understand why so many people hate on it, and it did have an incredibly predictable ending, but still.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Hot Fuzz is great but mostly brilliant on a screenwriting level, and drags like crazy in the second act.

According to Edgar Wright, this was done by design, to satirize the way Bad Boys 2 feels like it's ending, but then says "This poo poo just got real" and keeps going.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a pretty stupid concept for a movie so I understand why so many people hate on it, and it did have an incredibly predictable ending, but still.
So many shots of infant butt in the trailer alone you start to ponder its legality.

WampaLord posted:

According to Edgar Wright, this was done by design, to satirize the way Bad Boys 2 feels like it's ending, but then says "This poo poo just got real" and keeps going.
That doesn't make it a joy to sit through, even if it is executed to near-perfection.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

If your goal is cheap health care, are you willing to tax the wealthy more to help achieve that goal? A lot of ideological arguments with regards to government policy end up coming down to whether you think government spending (and the associated increased taxation and/or increased inflation) is worth the results of that spending. There are a bunch of government roles where there don't happen to be much/any ideological disagreement among American citizens/politicians, but that doesn't mean they're still somehow "not ideological."

And then there's the fact that you often can't guarantee the result of a particular policy, so you have to determine how much risk you're willing to shoulder. Is it worth the risk of destabilizing a region to try and crack down on an authoritarian regime? Any sort of policy that hasn't been tried before (or tried under certain conditions) also carries some risk of unintended negative consequences, because fields like economics or finance aren't precise sciences and we can't predict the future.

How you evaluate specific proposals depends upon your ideology. A specific proposal can only be better or worse than another with respect to a particular set of values. Once you've decided "I want to accomplish (insert concrete goal) and I'm willing to shoulder (insert costs) in order to do it", then you can craft some policy that most effectively work given those constraints.

I feel like what I'm saying here is so simple and self-evidently true that I keep rereading your post to see if there's some different point there, but I'm not coming up with anything.

Here's what I'm saying:

1) "Tax the rich" isn't specific enough to be evaluable. You might as well say "I'm gonna fix it with pancakes." A flat 10% tax on all earned income, eliminating the mortgage interest exemption, and a 90% marginal tax on incomes over $1M all fall into that bucket, and are all differently possible and/or good because they choose different sets of winners and losers.

In other words, outside the context of an evaluable solution, "tax the rich" is just handwaving, or signaling, or something. It doesn't mean anything.

2) The only good ideas are practical solutions. Single-payer is a technically excellent way to fund and distribute health care, but it's not a solution for the US because it's not politically possible.

Our (US) current process of discovering solutions is to start with some set of values and work backwards, which is great for saying "I tried" and terrible for fixing actual problems because it builds systems immune to compromise.

In other words, functional politics starts with identifying a politically-achievable range and focusing on quality of implementation within that range. In that context, "quality" isn't meaningfully ideological because you're lucky to get one workable way to e.g. lower prescription drug costs out of a compromise process, let alone several different ones that reflect meaningfully different values systems.

TL;DR: values are expressed by the results of your actions and not what you say or pretend to believe. Someone who says "I want single-payer health care in the US" is really saying "I want the current system," in the same way a dude who says "I'll only date 10s" is really saying "I want celibacy." i.e. Reality does not allow an infinitely flexible set of choices.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You must have the most boring dreams

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

You must have the most boring dreams

Mostly flashing lights and atonal beeps.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Many more goos things could be achieved politically if you simply executed all baby boomers. Bam, problem solved.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Unfriended was one of the best horror movies of the decade.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love Tolkien and his writing is really good if you're into the poo poo he was into (medieval lit, epic poems, story for story's sake, philology) and are even better taken with his notes and essays and short stories all as a whole.

But if you aren't immersed in that stuff I can see why you'd rather just watch Viggo Mortensen look hot and kill orcs. Any sort of writing that involves multi-page ballads and the word "lo!" is just not for everyone.

On that same note I think it's ok to find most classic literature boring for a modern person. Stuff like Pride and Prejudice for example is great but as they years march on we're farther and farther removed from the cultural context and the common language of the time it was written, and a lot of it just falls flat to modern ears. Doesn't mean you're stupid or illiterate, just means you lack context and appreciation, and that's fine. At some point older works are going to end up like Shakespeare, where no layman can just sit down and appreciate it without a teacher or a companion text to explain the language and the dick jokes.

One reason I like Stephen King and Tolkien both is that in their nonfiction writings on writing, they both profess a strong support for story for story's sake. That is, it's perfectly good and human to read genre fiction or detective novels or whatever purely for escapism and avoid looking for more than just a good story. Tolkien makes an analogy to a prisoner of war- escaping isn't seen as cowardly. In literature there's no shame in using stories merely to escape the mundane drudgery of modern life. You can find, for example, catholic themes running through Tolkien's work but that doesn't mean Gandalf is an allegory or a symbol for anything. Gandalf, in Tolkien's mind, is exactly what the reader interprets him to be.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Cream soda owns.

Stewart's Orange N Cream soda owns.

People who say soda is for kids are usually insufferable losers.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Fantasy bores me and I have no interest in LotR, Game of Thrones, or the Elder Scrolls series.

And yet, I love Star Wars and Fallout so...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Cream soda owns.

Stewart's Orange N Cream soda owns.

People who say soda is for kids are usually insufferable losers.

It's mostly goony overcompensating like they do with fast food or anything "greasy". They probably had like a 12 can a day soda habit or ate mcdonalds every day when they were younger and lash out at it to make sure everyone knows they don't do that anymore. Like the type that calls a can of coke "cloying diabetes inducing sugar water" or "can't even finish" a hamburger. You're not fooling anyone people. We all know you are just trying to save face and are secretly loving it.

Also the stewart orange+cream stuff is the best part (although that's not really saying much since it's basically the only good part) of going to Cracker Barrel. Soda in general in a frosted mug is really enjoyable and anyone who says otherwise is lying. You just have to enjoy it in moderation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fantasy bores me and I have no interest in LotR, Game of Thrones, or the Elder Scrolls series.

This used to be me. At some point the whole psuedo-medieval thing just "clicked" and I got the appeal. Not sure how to translate it into words though.

quote:

At some point older works are going to end up like Shakespeare, where no layman can just sit down and appreciate it without a teacher or a companion text to explain the language and the dick jokes.
Shakespeare wrote works for aural consumption. It was never really meant to be scrutinized as a text alone. You watch a strong adaptation of the material, then pore over the text--ideally in pause/play conjunction with said adaptation--in order to "get it." Every English class that plops down A Midsummer Night's Dream in front of 8th graders does his work a massive disservice.

quote:

One reason I like Stephen King and Tolkien both is that in their nonfiction writings on writing, they both profess a strong support for story for story's sake. That is, it's perfectly good and human to read genre fiction or detective novels or whatever purely for escapism and avoid looking for more than just a good story. Tolkien makes an analogy to a prisoner of war- escaping isn't seen as cowardly. In literature there's no shame in using stories merely to escape the mundane drudgery of modern life. You can find, for example, catholic themes running through Tolkien's work but that doesn't mean Gandalf is an allegory or a symbol for anything. Gandalf, in Tolkien's mind, is exactly what the reader interprets him to be.
I agree, but despite the snobbery around it there is something to be said for reading literary fiction for things you won't get out of specific genre work as much as there is vice versa.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Stephen King said he's the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries and that's totally correct. It's something to enjoy, to want again, but nothing to dedicate your entire life to; it's a literary indulgence that's satisfying.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Also because he churns out books at a rate that makes Chuck Tingle jealous

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Stephen King said he's the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries and that's totally correct. It's something to enjoy, to want again, but nothing to dedicate your entire life to; it's a literary indulgence that's satisfying.

So was Shakespeare in his time. In the future Big Bang Theory will be taught in schools by having students read the script.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Slime posted:

So was Shakespeare in his time. In the future Big Bang Theory will be taught in schools by having students read the script.

Nah

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slime posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't already students out there writing essays on the deeper meanings of "bazinga" right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's my PHUO is that it's perfectly acceptable to hate a piece of media you've had no direct contact with if everything you've encountered that's radiated from it is insufferable. And boy, do I hate BBT.

I also hate the defense that you can't say you hate something until you experience all of it. Not one episode. Not one season. No, it's gotta be the whole drat thing. I ended up hatewatching two series for the sake of being very specific in my criticisms because I would encounter that argument so often. After which the same people would ask me why I watched them if I hated them so much. :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

It's my PHUO is that it's perfectly acceptable to hate a piece of media you've had no direct contact with if everything you've encountered that's radiated from it is insufferable. And boy, do I hate BBT.

I also hate the defense that you can't say you hate something until you experience all of it. Not one episode. Not one season. No, it's gotta be the whole drat thing. I ended up hatewatching two series for the sake of being very specific in my criticisms because I would encounter that argument so often. After which the same people would ask me why I watched them if I hated them so much. :v:

Do not let anyone convince you to watch BBT to find out if you really hate it or not. Trust yourself, you really do hate it and you don't need to verify it.

I'm a little bitter about that show in particular because you can't say you work in theoretical astrophysics without everyone starting to spout bazingas and other sheldon references. Nobody that actually does the jobs they do in that show act like that.

At the same time the "it's nerd blackface" crowd is equally annoying. "Nerd culture" is a stupid thing to identify with and even if you are into that "culture" nobody cares if a show is mocking you unfairly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is the parallel of nerd blackface though. Its obviously not on the level of blackface, but its genuinely the same concept.

Big bang theory is loving awful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Clyde McPhatter was better than Sam Cooke. Not saying Cooke wasn't great or wasn't a genius, because he certainly was, but if McPhatter had been more reliable, hadn't been on the sauce so much in the 60s, he could have been Sam Cooke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Conceptually I like some stuff about fantasy but the genre gets up it's own rear end in its lore most of the time. Game of thrones is pretty awesome though.

My favorite fantasy is Dark Souls because it's basically all of the cool poo poo and none of the lame poo poo.