Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

at my company we made an offer to a guy and he asked for some more time to consider it. the ceo was like "no, i've seen this before, he's trying to use our offer to get a better one from another company. it's now or never" so the guy chose now and accepted our offer. after eating up 3 weeks of training time, he got a better offer from whatever other company it was, and peaced out with no notice. ceo sure was pissed lol!

your CEO just received an object lesson in why timebombed offers are dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

at my company we made an offer to a guy and he asked for some more time to consider it. the ceo was like "no, i've seen this before, he's trying to use our offer to get a better one from another company. it's now or never" so the guy chose now and accepted our offer. after eating up 3 weeks of training time, he got a better offer from whatever other company it was, and peaced out with no notice. ceo sure was pissed lol!

pwned

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The one time I was pressured for time hard with an offer I took it, and then backed out like a week later. Didn't waste anybody's money, but did waste their time starting paperwork and poo poo, but well, there you go fuckos.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

The one time I was pressured for time hard with an offer I took it, and then backed out like a week later. Didn't waste anybody's money, but did waste their time starting paperwork and poo poo, but well, there you go fuckos.

I, too, have done this. probably one of my best career decisions to date. i think my laptop was in transit but they recalled it before it hit my doorstep

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I failed to do this once (I turned the timebomb down because gently caress off) and it didn't pay off. From now on I'll take the first offer I get and then quit if I get my actual offer through.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah honestly the downsides of doing it a few times are basically non-existent oh well guess I can't work at that place anymore (probably)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

This is just good capitalistic behaviour. Gotta maximize your profits no matter what!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
How often do third party recruiters actually have a position I couldn't just find on Indeed or the company's website?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

huhu posted:

How often do third party recruiters actually have a position I couldn't just find on Indeed or the company's website?

Never. There only useful for getting a foot in with the hiring manager, that is only if they're trusted by the hiring manager.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

huhu posted:

Related question: is it bad if I go around a recruiter and apply to a clearly visible job opening even if I first heard about it from said recruiter?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

Having to explain your work experience to some recruiter on the phone seems like an utter waste of time. 95% of the time they have no idea what you're talking about.

me: I wrote a unified interface to abstract away different database APIs so database access is standardised across the codebase

idiot recruiter: oh, so like you wrote a website?

gently caress you

Smart person:
Why didn't you use a standard interface library already like cppdb? :smug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

defending (your) technical decisions is an important skill though

the best part is when you're customer facing and need to think up defenses of either legacy code or decisions you personally think are dumb

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ThePeavstenator posted:

Related question: is it bad if I go around a recruiter and apply to a clearly visible job opening even if I first heard about it from said recruiter?

No, you don't owe recruiters anything because they sent you a cold email out of the blue. Unless it's an internal recruiter in which case why go around them at all

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

PokeJoe posted:

No, you don't owe recruiters anything because they sent you a cold email out of the blue. Unless it's an internal recruiter in which case why go around them at all

I've been taking with this guy for about a week and he's sent me a few "opportunities" that turned out to be public postings. Seems like a bit of a dick move but I guess it's fair.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if the recruiter is at a contract agency there's a good chance what they have is exclusive [but that's only if you're willing to work contract]

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Smart person:
Why didn't you use a standard interface library already like cppdb? :smug:

Legacy code, limited resources, things of this nature would be my answer to that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

I've been taking with this guy for about a week and he's sent me a few "opportunities" that turned out to be public postings. Seems like a bit of a dick move but I guess it's fair.

If it's public then you don't need to go through them, unless you feel you wouldn't get through shortlisting without that direct contact with the hiring manager. That's honestly where the only value is, and it's not even a dick move to go around them if you don't need/want that.

qhat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 19, 2017

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

A guy was hired along with me but ghosted on our start date.

Turns out he was in jail on a DUI (which, here in Wisconsin, is quite an achievement).

:cop:

you report to me im pretty sure. lmao.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

get back to work. I assigned a youtrack ticket to you.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qhat posted:

Having to explain your work experience to some recruiter on the phone seems like an utter waste of time. 95% of the time they have no idea what you're talking about.

me: I wrote a unified interface to abstract away different database APIs so database access is standardised across the codebase

idiot recruiter: oh, so like you wrote a website?

gently caress you

actually a test to see how well you can explain technical knowledge to a dumbass

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

actually a test to see how well you can explain technical knowledge to a dumbass

i guess we can just pretend that every indepth technical concept can be explained to someone with a very cursory understanding of technology. there's a reason i use worthless car analogies when explaining my job to friends, and not a true explanation of what i do.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I'm going to feel like poo poo until I hear back from these people. then I'll either be super excited or drink myself into a stupor.

interviewing and job hopping is turning me bipolar

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've got like 4 interviews lined up atm and one I'm waiting to hear back from, and I'm still anxious that I'm not doing enough.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qhat posted:

i guess we can just pretend that every indepth technical concept can be explained to someone with a very cursory understanding of technology

yes? if you can't that's on you

when i was staffing up a team i worked with an internal recruiter and got great results after working at it. she provided a batch of resumes, we filtered out the handful we wanted to talk to. after a couple cycles she was really nailing the kind of folks we needed, several productive rounds after that. it took abstracting our needs and communicating to someone outside the engineering silo, being willing to do that work had good results

but really, taking someone who's nominally aligned to your incentives and blaming them for your poo poo ability to communicate your previous roles to anyone outside a highly specific niche doesn't hurt anyone but you. go hog wild!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qhat posted:

i guess we can just pretend that every indepth technical concept can be explained to someone with a very cursory understanding of technology. there's a reason i use worthless car analogies when explaining my job to friends, and not a true explanation of what i do.

i explained my current project using tax forms as a metaphor on sunday and it worked pretty well

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JawnV6 posted:

yes? if you can't that's on you

when i was staffing up a team i worked with an internal recruiter and got great results after working at it. she provided a batch of resumes, we filtered out the handful we wanted to talk to. after a couple cycles she was really nailing the kind of folks we needed, several productive rounds after that. it took abstracting our needs and communicating to someone outside the engineering silo, being willing to do that work had good results

but really, taking someone who's nominally aligned to your incentives and blaming them for your poo poo ability to communicate your previous roles to anyone outside a highly specific niche doesn't hurt anyone but you. go hog wild!

I'm sorry but I still just do not trust external recruiters (which, by the way, is the kind of recruiters we're talking about) to be able to relay what I'm telling them in a way that's meaningful or accurate to a hiring manager. Internal recruiters are entirely different kettles of fish and I know when I get contact by someone internal, I'm almost always getting an interview.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

it takes a few minutes, but I've managed to explain container orchestration to my parents so honestly it shouldn't be that hard for you par

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

FamDav posted:

it takes a few minutes, but I've managed to explain container orchestration to my parents so honestly it shouldn't be that hard for you par

i want to hear this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
again, not their fault you can’t describe how you spend 40 hours a week without relying on shared knowledge and jargon. you can pretend that’s the case of it spares your ego but don’t be surprised nobody buys your bs

perhaps you could take a communication course?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
qhats gimmick is being angry computer guy

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

qhats gimmick is being angry computer guy

same

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

again, not their fault you can’t describe how you spend 40 hours a week without relying on shared knowledge and jargon. you can pretend that’s the case of it spares your ego but don’t be surprised nobody buys your bs

perhaps you could take a communication course?

Shut up idiot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my boss yesterday : people usually get here around 945
me today at 830: oh he was being serious.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i mean, yeah, welcome to the valley :cool:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah basically if you can't explain what you do, it's not because it's beyond the ken of mortal men, it's that you don't know how to communicate or teach properly

being good at teaching is a learned skill just like anything else and if you haven't bothered to learn it, it's your problem when you can't explain things effectively to others

this is one of the manifold reasons why "smartest guy in the room" syndrome runs rampant in tech, dorkuses don't bother to learn how to talk to other people and they think it's a failure on the part of others

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anime dogtits

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
st... stymie was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

my boss yesterday : people usually get here around 945
me today at 830: oh he was being serious.

ugh late starts make it way harder to schedule doing stuff in the evening

• Locked thread