Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

It was never explained in what I watch. I think Kaneki becoming a ghoul is supposed to be special.

Also wow, kinda abrupt end.

I mean, if you gonna cut something to make the schedule fit, might as well be Tokyo Ghoul.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The only thing I like about this show is the last 30 seconds

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

JT Jag posted:

God this is so by the numbers that it hurts

I keep expecting it to be dumb and bad and it keeps somehow managing to be worse.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
How long until we get some cool fights. I can put up with bullshit plot for some cool fights

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Argus Zant posted:

wait, that motherfucker in the hockey mask was actually called Jason, are you loving KIDDING ME we came back from a commercial break for THAT?
I wonder if that qualifies as clever in Japan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tarodia posted:

How long until we get some cool fights. I can put up with bullshit plot for some cool fights

*Sharply inhales*

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

they had to have paid nothing for TG right

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Polygynous posted:

I keep expecting it to be dumb and bad and it keeps somehow managing to be worse.

It's dumb and bad without a soul. It's shock, but by the numbers shock that's been done a dozen times before. The characters are about as interesting as cardboard cutouts. It's not suitably insane, really, and the effects are just ho hum compared to contemporary works.

There's just nothing to work with here, even as a mockwatch.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
previously: CHAIN JAIL

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

they had to have paid nothing for TG right
No, no, they probably paid a standard amount for it. It has a fanbase.

The worst think about Tokyo Ghoul is that it's not even awful. I just think it's awful because I've seen every single one of its premises done better before. If I was a casual idiot I might see this and think "oh this is kinda edgy and neat"

it's the perfectly generic cube of anime

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The edge has ended.

Long live the edge!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I FORGOT CHAIN JAIL

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So just to recap: Killua is a Conjuror Nen user, so he used that ability to conjure a contract wth himself for a unbreakable chain that will only be used on the Spiders?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
yup, it's a car

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Genocyber posted:

The edge has ended.

Long live the edge!

We haven't even started the show with the edgy character yet.

This could apply to hunter or Naruto if anyone even watches that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So just to recap: Killua is a Conjuror Nen user, so he used that ability to conjure a contract wth himself for a unbreakable chain that will only be used on the Spiders?

Not quite

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

No, he used his ability to conjure the chains.

The contract is something anyone can do if they know how.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

He conjured the chains, they're made entirely from Nen. Making a contract with stipulations for oneself is something any Nen user can do. In his case it supercharged his Nen chains making them strong enough to imprison the Spiders.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
:catstare:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yes, and if he uses it on anyone who isn't a member of the Troupe, he dies.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

He conjured the chains, they're made entirely from Nen. Making a contract with stipulations for oneself is something any Nen user can do. In his case it supercharged his Nen chains making them strong enough to imprison the Spiders.

Okay, I wanted to know what the contract part meant, thanks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Killua has entirely minmaxed his character to be efficient in dealing with Spiders.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

No, no, they probably paid a standard amount for it. It has a fanbase.

The worst think about Tokyo Ghoul is that it's not even awful. I just think it's awful because I've seen every single one of its premises done better before. If I was a casual idiot I might see this and think "oh this is kinda edgy and neat"

it's the perfectly generic cube of anime

I just see it and go "what were they trying to accomplish by picking this up."

As noted before, it's an older series that its fans have likely already expended time and money on acquiring. The only answer I can think of is that they were hoping it'd appeal to the same people Deadman Wonderland did, but everyone's so inundated with that kind of poo poo now that TG's offerings don't do poo poo for them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

More jobbers

I mean, important characters to remember

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

As noted before, it's an older series that its fans have likely already expended time and money on acquiring. The only answer I can think of is that they were hoping it'd appeal to the same people Deadman Wonderland did, but everyone's so inundated with that kind of poo poo now that TG's offerings don't do poo poo for them.

They held a vote and it won. You are over complicating things

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Killua has entirely minmaxed his character to be efficient in dealing with Spiders.

I mean, it's the best way to go about Baldur's Gate 1, so sure, I can dig it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

There was that Twitter poll that the surprisingly powerful fanbase of Tokyo Ghoul basically rigged.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

There was that Twitter poll that the surprisingly powerful fanbase of Tokyo Ghoul basically rigged.
Tokyo Ghoul: brought to us by Russian twitterbots

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Beasts gonna die so hard. Those guys didn't even get names.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait how do you know that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like Vacuum Cleaner Girl :3:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
speaking of a wonderland of dead men

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And mind you, the other choices were Mob Psycho 100, from the creator of One Punch Man, and Lupin the goddamn Third.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JT Jag posted:

Putin's latest plan to destroy America from within: inundate it with mediocre anime.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
We could've had Mob Psycho 100 in that slot, but nooooooooooooo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like it benefited from people being torn on the actual good shows.

A poll is really dumb.

JT Jag posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also isn't this all filler

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also isn't this all filler
It definitely isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted: