Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

They revealed the 11th gen civic Hatchback tonight and only trim available with the 1.5 Turbo & 6 Speed is the Sport Touring, which is pushing drat near $30k for a non-Si/R civic. What a bummer.

I'm not feeling the look of the outside and also lmao at the tablet jutting out of the top of the dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Agree about the outside, though I do dig the interior. The tablet thing is really common these days so I can't hold it against them.

The 10th gen 6MT sport hatch did occupy a weird space in the lineup, but it always seemed positioned to me as a "Buy this one if you want an Si but want a hatchback more.", Which is why I picked it up.

For the price of a Sport Touring you could get a GTI.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just wish we would get some actual info about the GR Corolla so I would know if it's worth holding out hope for.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

They revealed the 11th gen civic Hatchback tonight and only trim available with the 1.5 Turbo & 6 Speed is the Sport Touring, which is pushing drat near $30k for a non-Si/R civic. What a bummer.

The Civic Si this generation - the one anyone who is interested in a manual transmission in the first place will prefer - will be closer to $25K than $30K, and it will likely come in hatchback form now that the coupe is dead

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What happened to Gazoo? I thought I remembered that was a Toyota thing and didn’t just imagine it correct?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The GR in GR Yaris stands for Gazoo Racing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The new Civics are so expensive but they're basically luxury cars with FWD and low HP engines at the touring trims. It's kind of to justify paying so much for a 185hp CVT when the GLI/GTIs exist. I wonder what the Type Rs are going to look like?
I find the Civic Touring to be a tempting vehicle if you care about nice interiors and comfort. It's probably a really solid ride and you get the peace of mind for reliability. The feature creep in the Hondas is squeezing Acura's value prop in my opinion. At this point all you have left with Acura is the badge and the fancy turbo v6 motors in the TLX. They should just get rid of the Acura label and bring back the Honda Legend for the TLX.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah the price point is odd. I figure the perception of Honda reliability is much more attractive than VW, but at that price why not just buy a Mazda3.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Civic has a much larger interior.

Taken as a holistic whole, there is no better simple Car than the Civic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Kind of a bummer that the next GTI interior is a bit of a downgrade over the current one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There was a 2021 Hyundai Sonata N Line parked outside my local Costco, and it was a pretty sharp looking car in person. It was red with black accents . MSRP on it was about 35K.

No idea how it compares to the rest of the market, or if there's a market for a 35K sporty midsize sedan anymore, but at least someone is still building them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like the Sonatas. First time we saw the new one it was at night and had passed us and the tail lights made my wife and i both say "wtf is that" and we sped up to identify it and were very surprised it was a Hyundai.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The new sonatas seem to ape the old Mercedes CLS banana shaped body line. It looks like a design that won't age well.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

The new Civics are so expensive but they're basically luxury cars with FWD and low HP engines at the touring trims. It's kind of to justify paying so much for a 185hp CVT when the GLI/GTIs exist. I wonder what the Type Rs are going to look like?
I find the Civic Touring to be a tempting vehicle if you care about nice interiors and comfort. It's probably a really solid ride and you get the peace of mind for reliability. The feature creep in the Hondas is squeezing Acura's value prop in my opinion. At this point all you have left with Acura is the badge and the fancy turbo v6 motors in the TLX. They should just get rid of the Acura label and bring back the Honda Legend for the TLX.

The cheapest turbo Civic trim starts at $25k. You’re not going to find a new GTI anywhere near that price point, and the base GLI’s are going to be REALLY spartan compared to a mid level Civic (plus VW reliability is a shitshow)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

Civic has a much larger interior.

Taken as a holistic whole, there is no better simple Car than the Civic.

Yeah it's about the largest interior in the class while the Mazda3 is about the smallest.

The only real problem with the current gen Civic was the interior looked like garbage and they've largely fixed that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

Yeah it's about the largest interior in the class while the Mazda3 is about the smallest.

The only real problem with the current gen Civic was the interior looked like garbage and they've largely fixed that.

also stupendously ugly on the outside

the new hatch looks awfully like a 3 series GT to me

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I like the new civic a lot, seriously considering an ex sedan as a new drive to work car. Seems like good value for 25k to me. I was otherwise considering an insight but they’re based on the previous gen civic and suddenly look quite dated.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The thing is the Sport Touring trim doesn't really get you that much over the mid trims. You get leather seats, a premium sound system that is still just considered OK, and a few odds and ends like blind spot cameras.

I think the car makes a ton of sense at the mid-low level trims and the new Sedan looks exceptional, it's just insane that you have no choice but to spend $28.5k to get a 6 speed turbo civic.

Like, I got my 2020 Sport Hatch 6spd for $21,4k and it's an exceptional deal at that price, but no way for $28k.

Obviously the Si should come in below that, but there's no indication there will be an Si Hatch.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 24, 2021

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's weird how they only offer the manual on low end accords but only high end civics

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MeruFM posted:

it's weird how they only offer the manual on low end accords but only high end civics

I guess enthusiasts buy Civics not Accords unless their name is Jack Baruth

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp36820787/ferrari-v-6-deep-dive/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36827305/ferrari-296gtb-revealed/

Ferrari 296! Made me think of the Dino 246, which Il Commendatore was loath to put an honest to goodness Ferrari badge on. I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, especially since they've hit the styling out of the park. Looking forward to seeing the convertible!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 812 in the ads on that page looks pretty inspired by the Eliges, which is definitely not a bad thing, haha

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

got off on a technicality posted:

Ferrari 296! Made me think of the Dino 246, which Il Commendatore was loath to put an honest to goodness Ferrari badge on. I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, especially since they've hit the styling out of the park. Looking forward to seeing the convertible!

I think it looks fantastic too. The Roma is very pretty but this takes that new styling to a whole new level. Love the buttresses, the slight kammback shape, the hips. Best looker since the 458.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

At first glance I wasn't sure about the hips, but after closer examination.. wow, they nailed it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

got off on a technicality posted:

This is the best looking Ferrari in a long time, maybe ever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm very happy they stopped doing the vertical headlight bullshit, I was never a fan. That thing is a dang pretty car and one of the first non-Pininfarina involved ones?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KillHour posted:

It's me. I'm the nobody that bought one (new), which is why I can say that. :colbert:

User "The Deviant" also is an original owner of a Focus RS. While he doesn't post, I do know it's not been incredibly kind to him. I think it's on engine #3.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1407810762836385794?s=21

Ford has invented... the Explorer.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 25, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If they can put a rack on the top of it that would be perfect. Seriously considering one of these, fits my needs really well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

No they invented the Explorer Sportrack. :eng101:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/sorry-hatchback-fans-next-gen-civic-si-only-available-sedan/
Sorry hatchback fans, next-gen Civic Si only available as a sedan

Honda continues to smoke crack over the Si hatchback

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel weird that I want to see what the Santa Cruz is going to look like with a topper

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KakerMix posted:

No they invented the Explorer Sportrack. :eng101:

International Harvester WagonMaster :colbert:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MeruFM posted:

They don't offer manuals in any Accords anymore.

And the base sport trim of the hatch will come with the manual and 2.0.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BlackMK4 posted:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/sorry-hatchback-fans-next-gen-civic-si-only-available-sedan/
Sorry hatchback fans, next-gen Civic Si only available as a sedan

Honda continues to smoke crack over the Si hatchback

wow gently caress you honda

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

wow gently caress you honda

I guess they still have some hangup about cannibalizing Type R sales, as if those things don't fly off the lot as it is.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Midjack posted:

I guess they still have some hangup about cannibalizing Type R sales, as if those things don't fly off the lot as it is.

Dealers & buyers so thirsty to have something exciting they support $20k markups. Meanwhile Honda can’t read the neon writing on the wall. Just make more. Give more performance, Honda.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So the current gen, plain Jane civic is pretty decent then?

My in-laws had a 2012, which is somehow only one generation back, and that thing was just loving awful to drive. Completely gutless, way over damped suspension, no steering feel whatsoever, terrible stock speakers, and tacky bright blue bars in place of an instrument cluster.
Even my 100 percent completely uninterested in anything auto wife hated driving that car and would let out a massive sigh of relief when she was back behind the wheel of ours.
This comparison was next to my 2011 fiesta I had at the time too, not anything up market.

Have they really improved the dynamics of the car that substantially? I find it kind of hard to believe after having driven a 2018 CRV but kudos to Honda if they pulled that off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In 2018 we drove a 2.0 non turbo manual civic and my wife didn’t like the lack of power, especially after driving a 1.5t Accord (ended up with a 2.0t manual accord :getin:). It felt pretty gutless, especially on hills.

Funny thing is I think I later looked up 0-60 and 1/4 times and they were about the same as my 89 Mirage GT turbo which was fast for its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is there something in particular about the current generation Civic that is making their drivers stay 5 car lengths behind traffic in Southern California?