Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You could have hired the best show runners in all of history and they still would have foundered as soon as they ran into the book 4 and 5 material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, to be fair they actually did a good job on seasons 1-3 (and some of 4), even when they were creating scenes that werent on the books

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, to be fair they actually did a good job on seasons 1-3 (and some of 4), adding scenes of prostitutes because they thought the audience was too stupid to follow the story without constant jiggling tits

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was talking about scenes like Cersei talking to Robert and some others

edit: the tits scenes were dumb, but I guess thats more of a requirement from HBO

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Were they wrong though?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

Were they wrong though?

Considering the tits disappeared and people still followed the plot, yes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You could have hired the best show runners in all of history and they still would have foundered as soon as they ran into the book 4 and 5 material.

I mean, they had the right idea in principle--"everything from here onward sucks, let's write our own ending and hang glide to wealth, adulation, and prestige the likes of which will probably never be achieved again for a long time to come"--only they lacked the talent to actually pull it off.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I guess? There are plenty of better writers than George RR Martin, plenty of creative people who would frankly be "too good" (or just good enough) for some fantasy book HBO adaptation. D&D were just hacks with bad ideas.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kellanved posted:

But I try to keep in mind that they must have had some contribution to its initial insane success.

A lot of the info out there says otherwise. People who worked on the show would talk about how D&D were in completely over their heads, couldn't stick to a budget because they were delusional about what things would cost, had trouble with pacing, didn't understand how costumes worked, etc.

The thing was, those people were telling the stories at the peak of the show's popularity, so they came across as, "oh, funny! look how much they learned on the job!" and not, "oh, they were lucky as gently caress to be surrounded by a structure that could cover their asses, and the more of that structure they lost, the clearer it became that they were still in over their heads." Now, the needle points a lot more toward that "lucky as gently caress" side.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, they had the right idea in principle--"everything from here onward sucks, let's write our own ending and hang glide to wealth, adulation, and prestige the likes of which will probably never be achieved again for a long time to come"--only they lacked the talent to actually pull it off.

IIRC aren't they both the kids of investment bankers or some poo poo? Obviously they wouldn't have been ridiculously wealthy and influential like they are now but dudes weren't hurting for money before GoT either.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mat Cauthon posted:

IIRC aren't they both the kids of investment bankers or some poo poo? Obviously they wouldn't have been ridiculously wealthy and influential like they are now but dudes weren't hurting for money before GoT either.

Yes, and it's kind of appalling how they ended up in charge of the show, and how laughably obviously unprepared and ignorant they were, but their daddies are rich so...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

David Benioff is yes, in addition to being Amanda Peet’s husband. Dan Weiss actually put the work in to get to where he was, and by that I mean falling in with much more talented elder writers and producers and failing upward on their coattails.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, and it's kind of appalling how they ended up in charge of the show, and how laughably obviously unprepared and ignorant they were, but their daddies are rich so...
There's a good ASoIaF story in this

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

There's a good ASoIaF story in this

Yeah it is pretty on brand huh

RE: Managing budgets, it is an insane process. I can't imagine anyone would be competent at that with out a decade of production experience under their belt.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really is clear with hindsight how much of the show's success came from a "just film the books, stupid" approach combined with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings as a production blueprint, plus a UK team filled with fresh acting talent and seasoned crew who were hungry to make it happen.

Also explains why they started to fall apart the instant the scope got too large (e.g: they had to incorporate a significantly different landscape in Dorne).

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

do you think rap rock exists in westeros

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Benioff's daddy isn't just rich - he's Stephen Friedman, formerly of Goldman Sachs and powerful economic adviser to both W. Bush and Obama. He was on of the unconscionable scumbags who raped our financial institutions for as much personal wealth as possible, and then cleverly resigned in 2009 just before the poo poo hit the fan and he might have been held responsible for some of his bullshit. Smart guy :rolleyes:

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

kaworu posted:

Benioff's daddy isn't just rich - he's Stephen Friedman, formerly of Goldman Sachs and powerful economic adviser to both W. Bush and Obama. He was on of the unconscionable scumbags who raped our financial institutions for as much personal wealth as possible, and then cleverly resigned in 2009 just before the poo poo hit the fan and he might have been held responsible for some of his bullshit. Smart guy :rolleyes:

Dad: I rose to power at one of the most influential banks in the world and helped rig the US economy for profit
Son: I took a fat man's book and made it into a tv show, but with more tits.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TERFherder posted:

Dad: I rose to power at one of the most influential banks in the world and helped rig the US economy for profit

Please don't sing dragula I'm in trouble with the American public
Dad via speakerphone: "conquering the worm"

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

TERFherder posted:

It’s like what John Adams said, “I study finance so that my children may study tiddies” or whatever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

disjoe posted:

It’s like what John Adams said, “I study finance so that my children may study tiddies” or whatever

Sit dooooooooown George John, YOU FAT MOTHERFUCKER!

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

TK-42-1 posted:

Please don't sing dragula I'm in trouble with the American public
Dad via speakerphone: "conquering the worm"

Didn't get this reference, not into classic rock

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

disjoe posted:

doing a google search for that phrase just returns the saddest things.

How do we post images here anymore? Who hosts?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Does anyone have a good write-up of everything we know about Martin's original plan? Like with the timeskip and everything.
I mean I always find it hilarious how the real War of the Roses lasted some thirty years, while this grand epic medieval war with ~five~ kings and way more dudes only lasted, what... 2?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ya well they didnt have ghosts or magic to kill the other guys in the war of the roses

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does anyone have a good write-up of everything we know about Martin's original plan? Like with the timeskip and everything.
I mean I always find it hilarious how the real War of the Roses lasted some thirty years, while this grand epic medieval war with ~five~ kings and way more dudes only lasted, what... 2?

I've read somewhere that the causalities of the battles in GoT doesn't even comes close to matching the real life battles. There's an estimate that seven thousand has died in the show while in the battle of Towtown in 1461 alone there was 40 000 casualties.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 1, 2021

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

And despite it taking place over an area around 70 times larger than the war of the roses too. It'd take about 2 years just to get the north's army assembled and march it down to king's landing.

Edit: Towton is renowned as a particularly bloody battle and there were probably around 5-10k deaths.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 1, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Algol Star posted:

And despite it taking place over an area around 70 times larger than the war of the roses too. It'd take about 2 years just to get the north's army assembled and march it down to king's landing.

Edit: Towton is renowned as a particularly bloody battle and there were probably around 5-10k deaths.

All the numbers in game of thrones are basically just absurdly large. Army size, wall size, population sizes, etc..

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"oh poo poo I made it too tall"

-- The American Tolkien

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I love how absurdly enormous the castles are in ASoIaF, to be honest - it's one of my favorite things, that poo poo is just like almost unreasonably big.

This is one of my favorite (albeit INSANELY geeky and done by a deeply annoying guy) ASoIaF fan creations - this guy actually constructed a book-accurate representation of Winterfell into a 3D modeling program, and the result is frankly pretty stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdbpfcxfSk

More than anything it makes me kinda sad they didn't do an animated adaptation of the series, or something - that way they could have actually done justice to places like Winterfell, Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, etc.... The show representations of these places were so woefully underwhelming and inaccurate that it just makes me sad to think about it. Of course they are going to do an animated series about Robert's Rebellion, I've heard, but that could wind up being really good or really bad.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 1, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I never understood why the wall was so big.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The castles and the Wall are meant to be these relics emblematic of an age lost when magic allowed for massive engineering, but it doesn't quite come across that way in the show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bob the builder was like let me show you my big dick magic wall.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

A wizard did it.

Seriously, it’s supposed to just be so far beyond anything that is possible during the current age that nobody that hasn’t seen it believes how big it is.

kaworu posted:

I love how absurdly enormous the castles are in ASoIaF, to be honest - it's one of my favorite things, that poo poo is just like almost unreasonably big.

This is one of my favorite (albeit INSANELY geeky and done by a deeply annoying guy) ASoIaF fan creations - this guy actually constructed a book-accurate representation of Winterfell into a 3D modeling program, and the result is frankly pretty stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdbpfcxfSk

More than anything it makes me kinda sad they didn't do an animated adaptation of the series, or something - that way they could have actually done justice to places like Winterfell, Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, etc.... The show representations of these places were so woefully underwhelming and inaccurate that it just makes me sad to think about it. Of course they are going to do an animated series about Robert's Rebellion, I've heard, but that could wind up being really good or really bad.

It’s partly because they used real places. I’ve been to “winterfell”, it’s in NI, not far from Belfast. However the standing part of the castle they used still had to be filled in with CG to not be ruins so I have no idea why they restored to look like the actual historic castle instead of something more interesting.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

The real answer is Martin doesn't have a good sense of scale and is lazy and doesn't actually do much research. He just thought 700 feet sounded big and went with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What is a good size for the wall anyway? Can't be more than 200 ft.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was probably a call to make the setting sell visually. Whoever the art director for the vfx team is would have been really resistant to diverging from more accurate scale for fear of things looking fake. Which is another reason why fantasy works better in animation, where you don't have to worry so much about complete verisimilitude when integrating background and foreground elements.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hadrians wall was like 15 feet and the great wall of China maxed out at about 26 feet. Even with big dick wizard magic 200 is ridiculously big.

Giants arent even that big that they'd need it to be any higher than like 50 feet.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If the wall is only 50 feet high, building a bunch of ladders long enough to lean against it and climb up becomes viable, and then you've got the potential for large-scale war parties to cross over essentially at will. That doesn't fit the story that GRRM was trying to tell, where the wall is a major (although not insurmountable) obstacle even when undefended. 700 feet is absurd, though, and shows that GRRM doesn't have any sense of scale. Something on the order of 150-200 feet is probably more "reasonable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best writers would've probably done the 5 year timeskip and only referenced books 4 and 5 when they had to via quick flashbacks or one-off commentary.

Algol Star posted:

It'd assemble and move faster than that, but good luck having a supply line for it without raiding everything within miles of your march like the Greeks and Persians did when warring.

A 700ft icewall is the kind of poo poo the best climbers in the world look at and go "well this has a high chance of ending in death but I want those bragging rights." The wildlings who climb it are definitely desperate/insane while the smarter ones probably take the "let's just sneak past it on some rafts on the night of a new moon and take our chances with whatever archers are on guard" route whenever possible.

Or maybe dig under the drat thing, but I imagine the wall goes down to the bedrock or the grounds frozen too so you're basically trying to dig through rock instead of magic ice (or maybe both).

e: The real question is why/how the wall is a barrier for the Others. They're undead. They could (and going by the one thing Patchface said, do) walk through the sea and the only issues would be if scavengers in the water would try to eat zombies and ice vampires. And if the walkers have a supernatural cold aura about them, they can probably freeze seawater easily enough.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 2, 2021