Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It seems like every set has a Nissa walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nissa. Her art was released.

3 Nissas in standard at once....

So Ad Nauseam stuff is really spiking. I think people want to play Gideon of the Trials in it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Along with three Lilis and Gideons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can only improvise up to the spell's generic cost, but you can over-crew a vehicle, or crew it multiple times.
Cheers. That's a neat bit of synergy with the Throne.

Edit: Actually there's four Nissas in standard, since the PW deck one counts too.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 6, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Siivola posted:

Along with three Lilis and Gideons.

Cheers. That's a neat bit of synergy with the Throne.

There aren't 3 Gideons....

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

3 Nissas in standard at once....

To be pedantic:5 Nissas.

e:4, ffs, Nissa didn't get a deck this time.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 6, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

To be pedantic:5 Nissas.

OK Well if you count the Dual Deck ones that no one will ever play in standard...

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Curator of Mysteries
2UU
Flying 4/4
Whenever you cycle or discard scry 1
Cycling - U

Seems nuts in limited

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There aren't 3 Gideons....
The planeswalker deck one is standard legal, even if it's the worst gideon ever printed.

(And the worst Gideon ever printed is still a 5-mana 5/5. :v:)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Naga are back.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It seems too soon for another Nissa to me.
--------

Intro decks:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I'm actually not fine with the Gatewatch if they're gonna take up so many planeswalker slots in each block.

but don't you care about these rich characters and their struggles

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

but don't you care about these rich characters and their struggles

Maybe if I got to see a mummy planeswalker instead of Nissa, Again or Gideon, Still Becomes A Creature.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/gloryboundinitiate.jpg

http://mythicspoiler.com/soi/cards/alwayswatching.jpg

Spicy

Lol Speculators

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 6, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Humans might be back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Companion of the Trials looks dangerously close to playable with exert for an intro deck card

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Companion of the Trials looks dangerously close to playable with exert for an intro deck card

It's win-more because you have to control Gideon to use it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Maybe if I got to see a mummy planeswalker instead of Nissa, Again or Gideon, Still Becomes A Creature.

it's just gideon and nissa, gideon and nissa forever, OFS, A hundred years Nissa and Gideon, forever and ever

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

it's just gideon and nissa, gideon and nissa forever, OFS, A hundred years Nissa and Gideon, forever and ever

I'm so, so tired of turning my lands and my Gideons into creatures. :sigh:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ohh, a new good human. Maybe I can rebuild human aggro.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That is VERY good. Welcome back GB Delirium to the format!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I would like to see them comment on this, and if they still consider it the right approach.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

drat, this is super strong

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

That is VERY good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Seems really good. Spewing out 2/2s is, as we've seen, a Pretty Good way for a planeswalker to protect itself, and repeatable reanimation is just nutty. Especially if you're reanimating gearhulks or other value creatures.

Kind of annoying memory issues when you combine the reanimation and the ultimate though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A very common line is going to be to just raise dead a milled Ishkanah or a Noxious Gearhulk and go from there.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Rinkles posted:

How very boring.

mark rosewater lol

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lili seems only okay to me but it's not a position I hold strongly because I'm not sure how to value the Rise from the Grave ability. She reminds me kind of KLD Nissa, though.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 6, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ugh, she's merely great instead of pushing the boundaries of Planeswalker power level. Very disappointing for a Liliana!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
drat, I think this set kills my goofy Energy TurboFog deck. There are so many things I can't protect myself from anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Lili doesn't seems only okay to me but it's not a position I hold strongly because I'm not sure how to value the Rise from the Grave ability. She reminds me kind of KLD Nissa, though.

The tempo of reanimation (especially with value) vs regrowth will be crucial I think. Of course, she's not as good a PW slayer as Nissa.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Lili seems only okay to me but it's not a position I hold strongly because I'm not sure how to value the Rise from the Grave ability. She reminds me kind of KLD Nissa, though.

She's not just insane raw power level but there are tools to build a deck around her. The question is, does the Cat combo still push that kind of deck out of the format.

https://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/850002214286487552

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I think she will have an upper limit to how good she can be for however long Unlicensed Disintegration is a card in this format

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

She's not just insane raw power level but there are tools to build a deck around her. The question is, does the Cat combo still push that kind of deck out of the format.

If cat combo survives after the next B&R update I will be surprised.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

If cat combo survives after the next B&R update I will be surprised.

The power level of this standard is really being jacked up in this set though. There might be enough to balance it but obviously it's too early to tell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The power level of this standard is really being jacked up in this set though. There might be enough to balance it but obviously it's too early to tell.

We've seen like an eighth of the set, it seems way too early to draw any conclusions about that

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

You +1 her and you have a 6-loyalty PW behind a blocker. From there you can -3 to have a glob of value fly out of your mouth or +1 her again to have another blocker with the implicit threat that she will reset the board if you don't like it, but in a way that keeps you with some position.

Or just +1 her until you deck out then threaten to poop at the judge when you're told to stop playing, due to your rampaging lust for +1ing her.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

White Weenie gonna be a deck again

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The "good" thing about all these versions of the gatewatch in standard is that they compete for space in the same decks. Can't just jam all the black PWs without running into issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And at 5 mana she is great without being broken. Going to have to try and find room for her in the Abzan List.

• Locked thread