Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lorini posted:

For a completely opposite opinion on Noria, I thought it was way too fiddly for what it was. I played nine new Essen games last week and Noria was hands down the worst.
Rahdo agrees with you and for someone who raves about every game, I guess that's pretty damning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1YzKsq2MA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Yay got Camel Cup unpunched in a second hand store for $15.
Sadly also got a copy of 1870 for a steal....with missing pieces, now I have to return it. :negative:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

AceRimmer posted:

Sadly also got a copy of 1870 for a steal....with missing pieces, now I have to return it. :negative:

I believe it's Camel Up, because whoever named it is pure evil.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

How many missing pieces? If it was a good deal otherwise it might be worth proxying a handful of components.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

I don't know about 1870 but depending on what's missing you could easily proxy it. Most of those games aren't a step above Rutibex cereal crafting.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

al-azad posted:

I don't know about 1870 but depending on what's missing you could easily proxy it. Most of those games aren't a step above Rutibex cereal crafting.

Also perfect information and all that jazz so components don't even necessarily need to match.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
If one of the 6 private company slips is missing, I ain't checking 160+ of the rail hexes, just going to assume some aren't there :colbert: Just going to get my $70 back

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I know there's a Dominion thread, but I just want to take second to remind everyone that Dominion kicks rear end. Just played it for the first time in ages today. Did a sort of Sage / Counterfeit / Courtyard thing and it was stupid. Wish I could play it more.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Word. I really loving miss Isotropic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magnetic North posted:

I know there's a Dominion thread, but I just want to take second to remind everyone that Dominion kicks rear end. Just played it for the first time in ages today. Did a sort of Sage / Counterfeit / Courtyard thing and it was stupid. Wish I could play it more.

I'm frequently, honestly, amazed at how good it is. Each set seems to be tested to perfection, and DXV as a designer has crafted several (very simple) interrelated ideas into a masterpiece of game design. The way that 99% of all boards work to establish a satisfying starting state, while allowing for players to meaningfully alter the evolving game-state is amazing. If you're a Dominion novice, then even the most boring board offers 2 to 3 clear paths to victory that extend beyond Big Money, and require a deep knowledge of the game to implement. This is in part because of the clever way it handles VP (as both the winning condition and a probabilistic burden), but also the way it conceptualizes economy (a tension between immediate hands and overall probabilities). If I had to summarize the game's strength, I'd say that it balances the novelty of randomization with the logical wrestling match of statistical reasoning.

It would be a completely astounding as a game in and of itself with the base set, and is beyond belief with however many expansions at this point. Dominion also manages to do all of this almost in spite of theme. It's one of the most purely "gamey" games that I've ever played, but still all of the card names make sense within the very limited theme of the "universe" (such as it is), because of a strict mechanical adherence to rules and ideas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dominion is capable of being a bonadife lifestyle game in the same vein as MtG, Netrunner, 40k, etc. The base system is that good and it has so much content available that it’s shames every other board game designer (except for Mr. Gloomhaven). I wish it had a big marketing push for organized play. A Dominion league would be my jam. Every week would have a set kingdom for tournaments, you could rotate which expansions you pull from, etc.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wish I enjoyed Dominion more, because I can see how it's a great, mechanically solid game, but it is just so incredibly boring to play, I find. The dryest of themes, almost no table chatter, and an endgame that tends to occur with little to no fanfare just makes it something that I can be bothered to pull out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I always liked playing Dominion, but only if turns take like an average of a few seconds. More than that and unnnnghhjhh just pull my teeth out already.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ojetor posted:

Word. I really loving miss Isotropic.

The new online version is good again.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Chill la Chill posted:

So I got Age of Steam’s secret blueprints expansion from Ted Alpasch because it was $2 from CSI. Never knew the castles MKL designer was a big AOS fan, but might explain his bidding games. It seems like the game module includes goods/income mats as well as maps. Is it then possible to use this with Steam components (plus any necessary other pieces) to play AOS games?

Doesn't look like anyone replied, so: yes, probably. I think the only component difference is that the track tiles have a different distribution between Steam and AoS, and for some people that's a big deal, but I get the feeling that it would only matter in tiny corner cases or with groups with dozens of plays of AoS under their belt.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Morpheus posted:

I wish I enjoyed Dominion more, because I can see how it's a great, mechanically solid game, but it is just so incredibly boring to play, I find. The dryest of themes, almost no table chatter, and an endgame that tends to occur with little to no fanfare just makes it something that I can be bothered to pull out.

This. It's my favorite game that I will never play again if I can help it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Bought Three Kingdoms Redux due to this thread's praise. Just got it to the table for the first time, and hot drat is it good. It's one of the most tightly made games I've ever played. It just feels so balanced and cut throat the entire time. Wei won despite not getting engaged in a military struggle until turn 7-8. In the beginning of the game, they simply stepped back and just built improvements from their hand, which ended up being a nice +10 for them at the end, besides giving them all sorts of benefits throughout the game. They only won by 2 points though.

Question: What happens to army resources that aren't used after a battle in the following situations:
A. The loser's army + weapons on both the primary general & any additional
B. The winner's second army + weapons attached to the general that does not get stationed.

We played that they returned to the player's supply. Is this correct?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm fooling around with Armello because I got it in a Humble Bundle. Am I missing something, or does it really sort of suck?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It looked like a dumb random Talisman game to me, based on a let's play.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PerniciousKnid posted:

It looked like a dumb random Talisman game to me, based on a let's play.

Yeah, it strikes me as someone attempting to fix Talisman, but just making it bad in a different way. It's a huge shame, because the art and production is beautiful.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Managed to convince people to play inis tonight instead of attack on titan. Anyone familiar with AoT able to tell me how lucky I got?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Spikes32 posted:

Managed to convince people to play inis tonight instead of attack on titan. Anyone familiar with AoT able to tell me how lucky I got?

I don't know AoT but Inis is great, so you're lucky anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spikes32 posted:

It's a cryptozoic game against one of the best DOAMs.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Spikes32 posted:

Seen it being played when Geek & Sundry did their holiday fundraising special. Didn't seem too great, didn't seem too bad either. But from what I hear of Inis, that game trumps AoT by a ton.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think I might have gone down the deep end. On Saturday I thought it was a good idea to introduce three friends who rarely play board games to the great Zimbabwe. To my defense I have to say that two of them had a STEM degree and one a PhD in Architecture.

It went well in terms of rules explanation and execution but they didn’t manage to come up with any kind of strategy on their own and relied on me to tell them if they had enough cows to upgrade a monument.
It was interesting to see that they collectively decided that pricing everything at 3 cows and placing secondary crafters ASAP was “only logical”. Which in turn lead to a longer than expected game and an easy win by the guy who picked the spider god.

I’m still trying to figure out what broke my brain and led me to believe that playing a Splotter Game with people “not in the hobby” was a good idea.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

These games take time to sink in. You may get a call from one of those people soon saying "Hey yeah so that game? Can we do that again?" They have a way of worming in unawares to the host.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone come up with a convincing way to get your Charterstone group to only play one game in a session? I'd kinda like to play some of my other Essen games that aren't short fillers.

On the subject of short fillers, Timebomb Evolution is fun but I think the only suitable player count is six. Two terrorists have too much of an advantage over three SWAT.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Finally got to play Gloomhaven and oh my god. We're all scrabbling to clear our calendars to find a space to play again as soon as possible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Aston posted:

Finally got to play Gloomhaven and oh my god. We're all scrabbling to clear our calendars to find a space to play again as soon as possible.
:same:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
:same:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Godamnit Isaac, I knew you were in cahoots with the Broken Token people. (Gloomhaven unboxing (I guess?) spoilers)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fat Samurai posted:

Godamnit Isaac, I knew you were in cahoots with the Broken Token people. (Gloomhaven unboxing (I guess?) spoilers)

What does that have to do with Broken Token?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Crackbone posted:

What does that have to do with Broken Token?

You'd never find that envelope unless you took literally everything out of the box to put it in an organizer, I think is the suggestion. I know I didn't find it until I did just that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

the panacea posted:

I think I might have gone down the deep end. On Saturday I thought it was a good idea to introduce three friends who rarely play board games to the great Zimbabwe. To my defense I have to say that two of them had a STEM degree and one a PhD in Architecture.

It went well in terms of rules explanation and execution but they didn’t manage to come up with any kind of strategy on their own and relied on me to tell them if they had enough cows to upgrade a monument.
It was interesting to see that they collectively decided that pricing everything at 3 cows and placing secondary crafters ASAP was “only logical”. Which in turn lead to a longer than expected game and an easy win by the guy who picked the spider god.

I’m still trying to figure out what broke my brain and led me to believe that playing a Splotter Game with people “not in the hobby” was a good idea.

Sounds like it went well anyway. I did the same thing with my party-game-up-to-that-point friend to play a COIN game with us and he enjoyed it. There definitely is a difference in "game intelligence" compared to academic studies. I have some friends, say engineers with masters, great with the arithmetic portions of games, but really can't wrap their heads around the gamey logic.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

You'd never find that envelope unless you took literally everything out of the box to put it in an organizer, I think is the suggestion. I know I didn't find it until I did just that.

After learning about the hidden envelope in Risk Legacy, I always check for hidden stuff in legacy type games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lobster Trap was this weekend, and it was a blast.

Shogi x3, my usual opponent each year, had a series of fantastic games. I won all 3. Second game we were nicely castled, I sneakily dropped a knight down, he didn't capture it, and I dropped a silver into the open space near his king that his silver was NOT protecting.
Wind the Film x4, shockingly good card game that crosses lost cities with bonahnza. You get a hand of cards, you take cards from a shared pool in a specific order, you can move one card in your hand further from being played but otherwise everything must remain in exactly the order you got them, and then you play the same # of cards you picked up. Seriously loved it. Tiny game from Japan.
Go, same opponent as shogi, but he's way better and I lost by 140. Still had fun.
The Colonists 3p era 2-3, really wanted to give this a try, got to finally. Definitely recommend starting in age 2, why bother building all those forester huts and farms and crap. Had a great time, never felt like it dragged, no idea if I'll play it again since it's so long.
Azul x3, very pretty mosaic building game, thought it was fantastic, never got to try the "build your own sudoku style" rules but I expect this will be around for a while so I'll get to.
Einstein, fit shapes together, score points, this had nothing in it at all.
Coda was a neat little opposed deduction game, was fine for its 5-10 minute length.
Crokinole 4p, just played a few rounds, was fun, always is.
Photosynthesis is a tree growing abstracts with actual tree shapes that block eachother's shade, it played like an abstract, and I though it was quite neat. Also full of "this game feels quite organic" and "the play is very natural" jokes from players.
Pyramid Poker x2, my wife and I *really* wanted to try this to see if it's worth getting. Plays in 5 minutes, build up a pyramid then take it down forming poker hands battle line style. Really like it.
Pax Renaissance, 4p, didn't finish. I had never played a COIN or a pax game before, but I got roped into this anyway. I thought it was really good! I did terribly, had no chance of doing anything right all game, but had a good time, and I'd try it again sometime.
Heaven and Ale felt kinda like Glen More, in a bad way, and I didn't really like it at all. Everyone else seems to like it, so I dunno, maybe it's just me.
Wordsy random word game where having long word scrabble dictionary experience is paramount. Muh.
Nusfjord new Uwe, I didn't really like it, I think I'm realizing that I don't actually like Uwe games, I like Agricola and Feast and maybe Glass Road. Odd feeling, that.
Riichi Mah Jongg, late night fun, played from midnight til 3. Good poo poo, as always.
Sheep and Sheep, tiny japanese card laying game, no real opinion.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's a cryptozoic game against one of the best DOAMs.

A bit disingenuous to say, since it wasn't an in-house designed Cryptozoic game, and is actually from an award winning designer.

But the two games are apples and oranges; I could see playing both in the right circumstances. AOT is far from the strategy game that Inis is, but it's fine for a press-your-luck game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orvin posted:

After learning about the hidden envelope in Risk Legacy, I always check for hidden stuff in legacy type games.

Do NOT do this with Charterstone. I cannot stress this strongly enough. There is something hidden, but you will be told where it is and when to find it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

Do NOT do this with Charterstone. I cannot stress this strongly enough. There is something hidden, but you will be told where it is and when to find it.

I watched Rodney's video that covers the first game only. Would you say that it transforms radically at any point or is it more of a gradual fleshing out of the basic premise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

A bit disingenuous to say, since it wasn't an in-house designed Cryptozoic game, and is actually from an award winning designer.

But the two games are apples and oranges; I could see playing both in the right circumstances. AOT is far from the strategy game that Inis is, but it's fine for a press-your-luck game.

Oh that sounds better. Cryptozoic makes a ton of lovely games so it’s my automatic reaction. Hm, this sounds like one of those decent games that has an anime theme I always rave on about

Speaking of which, L99 pushed back Empyreal to spring 2018