Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm very angry and hungover. Upped my direct debit to Shelter, joined the SNP, swore at someone on facebook. Still angry. gently caress this stupid union.

What's another good charity? Currently give to shelter, amnesty, unicef and BHF and am fortunate enough to have enough disposable income to donate more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm getting drunk on tonight's office party and see if alcohol poisoning leaves me in the same mindset as who voted Conservative or libdem

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What's the smart word on when Brexit will Get Done? Not just signing the paper that says you're out, but signing all the trade deals and whatever needs to be done after that. I'm assuming it won't happen in the next 5 years, because there is absolutely no way Boris or whatever idiot he appoints will be able to successfully negotiate any WTO trade deals, and by the time the UK could feasibly be considered a sovereign nation, Scotland and NI should have peaced out.

It seems super obvious to me that Corbyn would actually have gotten it done faster even if his second referendum came up Leave. Am I the crazy one?

Boris is back in power, so they're essentially starting off where they left before the election. There's no reason to renegotiate his deal, so now it's a matter of getting it through parliament.

If Corbyn had come in to power, however, the whole circus would have started from the beginning. There's no reason for Labour to just pick up the Boris or May deal and try to push it through.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does this big new majority just make a no deal Brexit more likely? Or could they pass some kind of new deal that the EU would agree with that they couldn't before?

They're gonna try to get a withdrawal deal. It'll probably be the same one Boris negotiated before the election, when they called his bluff that there'd be no deal if they didn't take his.

Dance Officer has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Dec 13, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

corbyn almost certainly would've accepted customs union membership, which solves a lot of the issues on its own. the first step would've taken longer, but that would also have been the only step.

johnson is now going to get to do a bunch of trade deals in which he can and will transform the public sector into a device for funneling cash into the pockets of a handful of hedge funds and billionaires. this is, in a very real sense, what he ran on and was elected to do, so he genuinely has a mandate

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

do note that johnson's deal doesn't actually rule out a no-deal brexit in a set period of time. i forget how it would come to pass, but i believe it just pushes everything down the road - during the WA, there would be a period of concordance, after which there needs to be a new agreement - or there's no-deal coming up. like everything else in his campaign, johnson's brexit promise was a lie

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
What's worse, too many parties or too few?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i cannot stress this enough: the british and foreign press has failed in subjecting johnson's regime to the most basic scrutiny. it is total bullshit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who even loving knows what he plans. Boris ultimately cares about Boris and wants to be popular

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gently caress i'm angry about this utter loving stupid poo poo

Serf
May 5, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i cannot stress this enough: the british and foreign press has failed in subjecting johnson's regime to the most basic scrutiny. it is total bullshit

the people who own those institutions stand to gain from this happening

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
A theory I kick around in my head from time to time is that the ruling class is planning for England being totally lost to sea level rise, and so they're selling off what they can while they still can.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm very angry and hungover. Upped my direct debit to Shelter, joined the SNP, swore at someone on facebook. Still angry. gently caress this stupid union.

What's another good charity? Currently give to shelter, amnesty, unicef and BHF and am fortunate enough to have enough disposable income to donate more.

Why would you give money to unicef? They are a UN organization, they receive plenty of money from governments.

You should give money to Doctors Without Borders -- they rely mostly on donations from people, instead of governments. This means they have the freedom to help people even when it isn't politically acceptable (e.g. migrants crossing the med).

Also consider donating to https://www.mariestopes.org/what-we-do/

quote:

Marie Stopes International is an international non-governmental organisation providing contraception and safe abortion services in 37 countries around the world.

Marie Stopes International has been providing sexual and reproductive healthcare services in the United Kingdom since the organisation was founded in 1976. In the UK we are best known for our high quality abortion services, which are used by 70,000 women a year.

35,472 UNINTENDED PREGNANCIES PREVENTED IN 2018

Womens Jeans has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Dec 13, 2019

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Avirosb posted:

Too many parties in a FPTP system, too few in any functional system

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

doesn't seem to me like they failed so much as they did their jobs exactly right

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bitterandtwisted posted:

i am very biassed and this is a foreign operation acting in foreign countries, but Norwegian People's Aid is one of the premier mine-clearance organisations in the world, as well as doing lots of good work in terms of building local indigenous organisations and unions in the developing world. it's the last part of what used to be the great norwegian labour movement, so it's politically correct

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

At least all the anti-Semitism is gone. Watch every media outlet instantly drop that angle despite it being headline news every day for 4 loving years.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BMX Ninja posted:

At least all the anti-Semitism is gone. Watch every media outlet instantly drop that angle despite it being headline news every day for 4 loving years.

nah that depends entirely on the leader

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

he was boring and uncharismatic as gently caress. he could not channel anger at all, and any politics needs to be angry if it wants to win

after he did ok in 2017 i thought well maybe brits are weird and they want boring stiff upper lip types but i guess not

Shengj is correct

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There was some british prick on RTÉ who moved to Ireland to escape brexit and he said he's upset Boris is PM but glad the UK didn't elect an anti-semite

and the presenter just let him get away with it. We're supposed to have harsher anti-defamation laws here.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I knew all the Labour adverts getting posted ITT were lame but didn't say anything because I just assumed English people were into bad metaphors that'd fit in an American political cartoon.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh shut up

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

I'm getting drunk on tonight's office party and see if alcohol poisoning leaves me in the same mindset as who voted Conservative or libdem

Might want to add leaded gasoline if that's the case.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Nice meltdown UK, cant wait to see the sequel in 2020 here in the states

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
where is this mythical charismatic angry leftist leader you people are talking about

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ah sold all mi chairs but now me bar isn't makin the profits a hoo hoo hoo

iss just like austerity innit?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avirosb posted:

First past the post

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

corbyn wasn't a particularly strong candidate but that's a point or two of swing. the campaign was mostly fine, though it lacked one really big focus. the problem was not really the campaign, it was that the political moment was mishandled - possibly it couldn't have been handled properly at all, given political reality, but there it is

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Corbyn was fine

everything else wasn’t

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

where is this mythical charismatic angry leftist leader you people are talking about

there isn't one, it's vulgar individualism from a people poisoned by presidential politics

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The most insane thing about this is how Lib Dem voters don't get how spoiler votes work, even after all the talk about tactical voting. You only cared about one thing and you just ended up deciding in favor of the worst possible thing you could want. loving perverts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Labour's vote share was larger than it was under Gordon Brown and Ed Milliband, and the 2017 result was comparable to Tony Blair's pre-Iraq numbers

The election results were not a problem with Labour moving too far left, and it wasn't because Corbyn was a uniquely unelectable candidate

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

there isn't one, it's vulgar individualism from a people poisoned by presidential politics

I got bad news about your entire country mate

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the problem is that the british are savages

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Lotta people in this thread surprised by what is inevitable in the hellscape of post 16

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lawman 0 posted:

I got bad news about your entire country mate

i'm not british, i'm just a huge politics nerd

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

You didn't just import Johnson from America :smugdon:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

the problem is that the british English are savages

come now, let's at least be specific

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dont think corbyn was fine, thats sorta the wakeup message here.

he was always a compromise and we always knew we were supporting him because there wasnt a better option to hand.
but it just wasnt enough, despite being a good man with the right principles hes not charismatic and had the air of a supply teacher.

his resignation speech broke my heart but it did make me think he looked like a hard working old administrator who'd been pushed into a totally different role he wasnt suited for

maybe that wouldnt have mattered if we'd have had a solid brexit plan, that could have hosed us in a different way too though. and there was no other candidate to line up behind.
oh loving well. what a disaster

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

A theory I kick around in my head from time to time is that the ruling class is planning for England being totally lost to sea level rise, and so they're selling off what they can while they still can.

would be funny if they got stuck in England despite that because of the tory gov fumbling brexit

Sedisp posted:

Might want to add leaded gasoline if that's the case.

and lit a match while at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most insane thing about this is how Lib Dem voters don't get how spoiler votes work, even after all the talk about tactical voting. You only cared about one thing and you just ended up deciding in favor of the worst possible thing you could want. loving perverts.

lib dems are worthless trash anyways based on their ideology alone, but for the most part the damage was done by labour leave voters splitting for the brexit party