Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If you're a billionaire looking to pay less tax, can you start your own chartered bank, with yourself as the only customer, in switzerland/ireland/cayman islands and have let the bank be non-cooperative with international tax authorities on your own behalf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Not in Switzerland, the DOJ has all the banks over a barrel here, they've got to file annual reports on all their American customers. Look up the Panama Papers if you want to know how to do things right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Methanar posted:

If you're a billionaire looking to pay less tax, can you start your own chartered bank, with yourself as the only customer, in switzerland/ireland/cayman islands and have let the bank be non-cooperative with international tax authorities on your own behalf?

This is the kind of thing where even if you did dodge all your personal taxes, you'd still spend nearly as much if not more starting and operating the "bank" in a way that avoids the bank getting investigated, and thus your attempt to tax dodge uncovered.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I don't see any tasks that ran near 11:40am when I originally posted about it (assuming the timestamp here is showing the right time zone). It sucked to check because there doesn't seem to be a way to sort all tasks in the whole folder hierarchy shown by last run time. Anyway I hope I checked that right but I didn't find any culprit.

From Powershell (assuming you're running Win10, right-click on the start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"), run the following:

schtasks /query /FO CSV /V > C:\temp\taskschedule.csv

Make sure the directory (C:\temp, in this case) exists. That'll give you a .csv you can open in Excel or Google Sheets and sort by last run date.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it illegal to hack someone’s social media accounts, or just rude?

Depends upon the state/country you're in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Has anyone been charged with guessing someone’s password hacking someone and messing with their social media under that act?

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding of that particular act is that the wording is so vague that just guessing somebody's password and logging in is illegal. All it says is "unauthorized access" so it can be illegal to read somebody's Facebook messages if they left themselves logged in and you sat down at their computer. As for if anybody has been charged for that or not I have no idea but yeah you shouldn't be reading somebody's private poo poo without their permission basically ever.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Thanatosian posted:

From Powershell (assuming you're running Win10, right-click on the start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"), run the following:

schtasks /query /FO CSV /V > C:\temp\taskschedule.csv

Make sure the directory (C:\temp, in this case) exists. That'll give you a .csv you can open in Excel or Google Sheets and sort by last run date.

Thanks, assuming these are stored as the correct time zone it looks like nothing ran within 2 hours of the offending popup, or else the task got ran again today, overwriting the history.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When you see one of those signs on the highway that gives the distance to the next city, is that the distance to the city limits, the city center, or some other point?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

When you see one of those signs on the highway that gives the distance to the next city, is that the distance to the city limits, the city center, or some other point?

I always assumed they showed the distance until the exit junction that leads to the city. That's how it's done in the UK AFAIK

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

It appears to be the city center in the US, as far as I can tell, although I'm sure it varies in some areas. From a practical standpoint, this is probably easier than the city limits since growing cities can and often do annex surrounding areas in certain situations, but the city "center" (or at least the exits to "downtown") are unlikely to change anywhere near as often.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for the movie that has a love scene where a woman and man chase each other playfully through a bunch of hanging laundry. Mostly bedsheets. I thought it was Armageddon since it was very saccharin, but I don't think that's it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a name for the thing they do in all the 2010s movie trailers where the string section sounds like it's "crawling" and it gets louder and louder until one of the abrupt stops?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

tuyop posted:

I'm looking for the movie that has a love scene where a woman and man chase each other playfully through a bunch of hanging laundry. Mostly bedsheets. I thought it was Armageddon since it was very saccharin, but I don't think that's it.

Pearl Harbor?

edit - both movies have Ben Affleck and Michael Bay and both are pretty saccharin. though it was parachutes, not laundry, so my guess is probably wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PodFu1W8EHg&t=136s

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there a name for the thing they do in all the 2010s movie trailers where the string section sounds like it's "crawling" and it gets louder and louder until one of the abrupt stops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzk-l8Gm0MY

AFAIK it's not a common instrument that makes the noise, they're hand-built purposeful instruments purely for these horror sound effects. The kind of sound that sends shivers down your spine.

There's some dude who made an instrument and people headhunt him to create music for their horror movies, and he has made music in a poo poo tonne of hollywood movies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Thanks, assuming these are stored as the correct time zone it looks like nothing ran within 2 hours of the offending popup, or else the task got ran again today, overwriting the history.
You should definitely run at minimum a MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Windows Defender scan, but honestly, I wouldn't freak out if those don't turn up anything. There are a lot of Windows things that sometimes pop up a command window briefly. Do you have automatic updates turned on? Could be that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Farrier Theaks posted:

Pearl Harbor?

edit - both movies have Ben Affleck and Michael Bay and both are pretty saccharin. though it was parachutes, not laundry, so my guess is probably wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PodFu1W8EHg&t=136s

Yes that’s the one! Thanks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jewel Repetition posted:

The kind of wobbly sound I think you're describing is called "tremolo", and when they slide upward in pitch smoothly (as opposed to fingering each chromatic note separately) the term is "glissando". I don't think there's a special term for combining them in that particular way, but that's how I would describe it as a 12 years lapsed concert musician.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Some years ago I finished university and got my degree. These days I'm considering returning to college to learn/study a different field. Does this necessarily make me a Graduate student (even though I'm not specifically looking for a Master's), or is this a common enough occurrence that there is a different classification I can search the school website for?

Edit: Or would this be better posed to the SAL graduate studies thread?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Some years ago I finished university and got my degree. These days I'm considering returning to college to learn/study a different field. Does this necessarily make me a Graduate student (even though I'm not specifically looking for a Master's), or is this a common enough occurrence that there is a different classification I can search the school website for?

Edit: Or would this be better posed to the SAL graduate studies thread?

Nah, you’re only a grad student if you’re doing graduate studies, usually as a student of the faculty of grad studies or whatever the school calls it. I don’t think a master’s is necessary but will be sufficient on its own (you can just do open studies grad courses and be a grad student afaik).

I did what you wanted to do and I was just a loving undergrad again, going for a second bachelor’s like a big fool. At least it only took two years because of the first BA.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After my last Mac OSX update, my mouse cursor started randomly disappearing, it seems to Chrome that triggers it. I've tried everything I can find online as wel as reinstalling chrome and it won't go away. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas on what I could do to fix it?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can someone translate the writing on the truck, please?

Had I continued to watch the episode, I would have seen that it means "soul happy go go ".

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can someone translate the writing on the truck, please?

Had I continued to watch the episode, I would have seen that it means "soul happy go go ".

That is a way it can be read, but really it's not the way you'd write something like that. Which is why it's a background prop in an American TV show that's not taking itself too seriously.

The literal translation is essentially Fortunate Blessing/Good luck Soul Number/Name Number/Name, and in Japanese the first two characters are often used together as "Happiness", then the middle character as "Soul" and the last two repeating characters can indeed be pronounced as Go Go but mean Number or Pen-name as actual words. The more common way you'd do the sound Go Go as intended would be to use one of the syllabic scripts in Japanese, or indeed to just write it in the English characters.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

fishmech posted:

That is a way it can be read, but really it's not the way you'd write something like that. Which is why it's a background prop in an American TV show that's not taking itself too seriously.

Well, it is what they captioned it as:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’m a loving moron and put a cashmere sweater in the drier. It is now fuzzy as all get out and looks ridiculous. Is there any way to salvage this thing? I’ve seen “defuzzers” and special combs for sweaters, but this might be beyond that. I feel pretty goddamn stupid since it’s a great sweater.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I live in a hardwater area, I'm sick and tired of limescale building up on everything. It's worst in the bathroom, I've got hardwater stains all over the shower glass, it chalks up the shower head, and is just a royal pain in the rear end to clean.

I'm renting this apartment, but what measures can I take to remove this hardwater issue? I've got no idea what appliance I'd need to buy to filter the water, and I also have no idea how much said appliance would cost. If it's a cheap and easy fix (<£100) I'd happily pay that to get rid of this problem.

I'm also pretty drat sure it's one of the main reasons I'm losing hair. I read the mineral deposits can cake up on your scalp and hinder hair follicle growth.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 25, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Qubee posted:

I'm also pretty drat sure it's one of the main reasons I'm losing hair. I read the mineral deposits can cake up on your scalp and hinder hair follicle growth.

Wow, is that permanent? Hopefully not

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Qubee posted:

I live in a hardwater area, I'm sick and tired of limescale building up on everything. It's worst in the bathroom, I've got hardwater stains all over the shower glass, it chalks up the shower head, and is just a royal pain in the rear end to clean.

I'm renting this apartment, but what measures can I take to remove this hardwater issue? I've got no idea what appliance I'd need to buy to filter the water, and I also have no idea how much said appliance would cost. If it's a cheap and easy fix (<£100) I'd happily pay that to get rid of this problem.

£2 from wilkinsons.

E: use on your shower, not your hair.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wow, is that permanent? Hopefully not

Nah, thankfully it's not. I've always had long hair, and never clogged the shower drain, and would only lose a couple hairs during the shower. But now, the drain gets clogged within a week, huge clumps of hair come out in my hands as I shower, and I lose even more after when I'm styling my hair. Can't run my hands through my hair without pulling at least 10 hairs out. Something about the minerals causing the hair to break easily and clogging up hair follicles so they can't grow.

spog posted:

E: use on your shower, not your hair.

will spray it in my drinking water too, thanks!

my old address, zero hair problems

new address

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 25, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Qubee posted:

Nah, thankfully it's not. I've always had long hair, and never clogged the shower drain, and would only lose a couple hairs during the shower. But now, the drain gets clogged within a week, huge clumps of hair come out in my hands as I shower, and I lose even more after when I'm styling my hair. Can't run my hands through my hair without pulling at least 10 hairs out. Something about the minerals causing the hair to break easily and clogging up hair follicles so they can't grow.

https://hairlossdotcom.typepad.com/blog/2012/11/hard-water-and-hair-loss-the-facts.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927171/

Two articles with science that say it's nothing to do with the water.

On the plus side, it's easier to take supplements than to plumb in a water softener.

(Oh, Wilkos, is there nothing you can't help us with?)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds like you might be developing an iron deficiency. Maybe see your doctor about this hair problem. :ohdear:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

spog posted:

Two articles with science that say it's nothing to do with the water.

thanks for posting those links, guess I'm going bald then lol, you just jumped me 2 steps forward in the 5 stages of grief ladder.

tuyop posted:

Sounds like you might be developing an iron deficiency. Maybe see your doctor about this hair problem. :ohdear:

taken blood tests, i'm not deficient in anything, I also take multivitamins atm. RIP.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It could also be stress.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Qubee posted:

taken blood tests, i'm not deficient in anything, I also take multivitamins atm. RIP.

Try that stuff from Wilkos.
It's exactly the same as Perfectil, except less than half the price, which seems to have some good anecdotal results.

Failing that:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Qubee posted:

Shower filters are easy to install and less than 20 pounds on Amazon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

It's called a water softener and you're unlikely to be able to install one in a rental. They are also a pain in the rear end to service. In my case it involves lugging 80 lb bags of salt down to the basement on a regular basis.

In line water filters are not going to be useful for this issue. It's the amount of dissolved minerals in the water being higher than normal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can anyone tell me what font the writer is using for this website?

http://morning.computer

(It's a real website I promise)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Memento posted:

Can anyone tell me what font the writer is using for this website?

http://morning.computer

(It's a real website I promise)

It should be showing this one https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Oxygen but if that doesn't load it falls back to Arial and Arial Black on a Windows computer.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have hard water too. A buddy at a cleaning supply shop hooked me up with a bottle of some horrible stuff that fizzed on contact with calcium deposits. 30 seconds followed by a brief scrub would totally clean a surface. Way better than any of the spray bottle solutions I've tried.

Looking around online, it was probably phosphoric acid, same stuff they put in coke. So yeah, don't pour it in a spray bottle, aerosolized acid is probably bad for your health.

E: I see it's also possible to get hydrochloric acid cleaning solutions :stonk:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 26, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Just depends on how you dilute it-phosphoric acid used to be a popular soda ingredient.

Oh yeah-HCl is very popular cleaning agent in India, which has made a frequent tool in disfiguring attacks on women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Just depends on how you dilute it-phosphoric acid used to be a popular soda ingredient.

Oh yeah-HCl is very popular cleaning agent in India, which has made a frequent tool in disfiguring attacks on women.

Huh, I always wondered about that. A bucket of acid doesn't seem like something you would have sitting around at home or at the corner shop.

Don't think I have the know-how to dilute acid to the point where it's safe aerosolized, but that's a good point :v: