Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If I could axe it down I would have already! It's a metal door set into the concrete wall of my foundation. These photos are from November of last year. I've been messing with it off and on since then with no results.

You can see the cylinder itself is pretty jacked up. It looks like someone tried to drill it out without really knowing what they were doing. The three holes next to it were all drilled, and you can see a hint of a metal bar in the left one which I assume is the bolt, but I don't know how to move any of it.

I've tried picking it (with my level zero lock picking skill) – the face on they cylinder rotates by itself and the actual pins seem to be all jacked up from being drilled, so I'm not sure if picking it is even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

If I could axe it down I would have already! It's a metal door set into the concrete wall of my foundation. These photos are from November of last year. I've been messing with it off and on since then with no results.

You can see the cylinder itself is pretty jacked up. It looks like someone tried to drill it out without really knowing what they were doing. The three holes next to it were all drilled, and you can see a hint of a metal bar in the left one which I assume is the bolt, but I don't know how to move any of it.

I've tried picking it (with my level zero lock picking skill) – the face on they cylinder rotates by itself and the actual pins seem to be all jacked up from being drilled, so I'm not sure if picking it is even possible.

A crowbar should make quick work of that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kedo posted:

Can you lever the bolt up/down by sticking a coathanger in there?

Hammer a screwdriver into the lock and twist it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So I was just down futzing with it again and the cylinder just fell out. Here's a close up shot of what's left in there:

The brass on the top is one of the "pins" – there are three of them, but they're more like little bars that extend off to the right. I can manipulate them up and down, so I guess I could theoretically pick it?

I was actually able to see through one of the holes on the right, it's definitely a wall safe and not my ash pit. Through the bottom right hole I can see the walls of the safe, and there's nothing in there but a paperclip. There seems to be a shelf right in the middle that I hit with my screwdriver in the top right hole, so there might be something on top besides just a paperclip, but probably not.

Crowbar may be my next step. I'm headed out to a class, but I'll take another look at it when I get home.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

kedo posted:

So I was just down futzing with it again and the cylinder just fell out. Here's a close up shot of what's left in there:

The brass on the top is one of the "pins" – there are three of them, but they're more like little bars that extend off to the right. I can manipulate them up and down, so I guess I could theoretically pick it?

I was actually able to see through one of the holes on the right, it's definitely a wall safe and not my ash pit. Through the bottom right hole I can see the walls of the safe, and there's nothing in there but a paperclip. There seems to be a shelf right in the middle that I hit with my screwdriver in the top right hole, so there might be something on top besides just a paperclip, but probably not.

Crowbar may be my next step. I'm headed out to a class, but I'll take another look at it when I get home.

And this is how he extends this to four pages

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Even if it turns out to be empty it's still fun to watch people crack old things in their houses open. It's about the journey not the destination.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OscarDiggs posted:

How do I become more media literate, especially around Films and TV?
The YouTube series Every Frame a Painting by Taylor Ramos and Tony Zhou might be a good place to start. Pop Culture Detective is also good but might not have quite the focus you're looking for.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Quabzor posted:

And this is how he extends this to four pages

Or maybe I'll just stop posting about it and no one will have the satisfaction of knowing I have an empty hole in the wall in my basement. :ninja:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kedo posted:

Or maybe I'll just stop posting about it and no one will have the satisfaction of knowing I have an empty hole in the wall in my basement. :ninja:

gently caress you, Geraldo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kedo posted:

I'd suggest a beefy drill would be better than a crowbar. I'll guess that drilling that entire brass lock out will let you stick a finger in and wiggle it all open

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Need a little help in the last step of setting up my living room.

I've succeeded in hiding all of my wires from my computer to TV but one problem remains. If I shut my 1 inch thick cabinet, it blocks the signal from my keyboard to my computer(just a regular HP computer we watch stuff on). This is the keyboard I have:

https://imgur.com/a/slFTUuK

Connects through this: https://imgur.com/a/qSYW31Q

I really want to be able to shut the cabinet as there is a bunch of junk in there that I want hidden away. (I've already got stuff to cool everything once the cabinet is closed). What are my options here? Thanks

kolby fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kolby posted:

Need a little help in the last step of setting up my living room.

I've succeeded in hiding all of my wires from my computer to TV but one problem remains. If I shut my 1 inch thick cabinet, it blocks the signal from my keyboard to my computer(just a regular HP computer we watch stuff on). This is the keyboard I have:

https://imgur.com/a/slFTUuK

I really want to be able to shut the cabinet as there is a bunch of junk in there that I want hidden away. (I've already got stuff to cool everything once the cabinet is closed). What are my options here? Thanks

Run a small USB extender with the dongle plugged in? You could tuck it away so it’s not visible but still getting LOS so it’ll work.

Alternatively buy an RF keyboard.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Run a small USB extender with the dongle plugged in? You could tuck it away so it’s not visible but still getting LOS so it’ll work.

Alternatively buy an RF keyboard.

I dunno why I didn't think of that in the first place. I did learn that it's called a "dongle" so there's something. Thanks buddy

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Me again. posted:

^^I also find white text on black background easier. I've used various browser extensions/addons/whatever for many years to accomplish this, even when it makes lots of media-heavy sites display terribly. You are not wrong.

I am a lurker who has a question about doctors/health insurance that I'm hoping someone can advise me on.

On November 8th I had a 6-hour long neurological-type test performed at a clinic that specializes in that sort of thing. I was told 1-2 weeks for results. On the two week anniversary I tried calling the office to prompt them for results. I left a message on VM asking for a call-back. I left two other messages asking for callback on two subsequent days. I then received a letter from my insurance company stating that they had approved coverage for a followup test, on condition that it be performed before the new year. I have called twice more since receiving this letter and managed to connect with a person one time. I told her I wanted test results and to talk about this mysterious followup test I'd been approved for because it had an expiration date. She transferred me to a voicemail box where I left another message. Total connection success score: 0.5 out of 5 calls.

What the gently caress do I do about this whole situation? I'm 36 years old but my experience with the whole going to doctors thing is limited to pretty much the past two years. Also, it would be nice if I could solve it some way that's not the phone since I'm very annoyed with the phone at the moment. I could ask my work HR for advice? maybe? but whichever person I talk to will think I'm a moron for not knowing how to fix this. I'd rather be thought incompetent by random strangers than people who can influence my future career advancement, so that's where y'all come in. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Normally your health insurance will have an advice line you can call with these questions. On top of that, the state you're in completely changes how your insurance could work. I'd also check online and see if there's an online web portal.

My doctors will ignore me for weeks and then call me randomly to make a new appointment. It seems to me like yours does something similar?

I am not a lawyer, doctor, or insurance agent, anything I post shouldn't be considered advice, etc and so forth.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

kedo posted:

So I was just down futzing with it again and the cylinder just fell out...

This is really a cyoa isn't it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My Windows 10 computer turns on exactly 24 hours after the last time it was turned off. I want it to stop doing that. I've seen around the place that it might be a BIOS setting, and I can't see anything at all that could be causing that in my Asrock Z97 Extreme6 BIOS. I've read that it might be Intel Smart Connect doing that to update programs, but I don't have that installed. I've checked in the Task Scheduler if there is something set to wake it up and I can't see anything in there. I've run some elevated PowerShell and CMD commands to see if there's something waking the computer up, and can't see anything. What else should I be checking? I don't ever put the computer to sleep, I click the power button then hit "Shut Down". Is there a hidden sleep mode in that that I can run a script to make it shut down properly?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Memento posted:

My Windows 10 computer turns on exactly 24 hours after the last time it was turned off. I want it to stop doing that. I've seen around the place that it might be a BIOS setting, and I can't see anything at all that could be causing that in my Asrock Z97 Extreme6 BIOS. I've read that it might be Intel Smart Connect doing that to update programs, but I don't have that installed. I've checked in the Task Scheduler if there is something set to wake it up and I can't see anything in there. I've run some elevated PowerShell and CMD commands to see if there's something waking the computer up, and can't see anything. What else should I be checking? I don't ever put the computer to sleep, I click the power button then hit "Shut Down". Is there a hidden sleep mode in that that I can run a script to make it shut down properly?

Unplug it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reinstall windows

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Alt-F4 to get to the real shut down menu

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's the pattern on her tank top called? Like the bird tracks parallel diagonals

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like herringbone to me

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Stupi question regarding browsers, namely Firefox: it used to be that Tab Mix Plus was able to arrange tabs in rows and columns. I've download the newest version of Firefox, and Tab Mix Plus, but is seems like a watered down - and the only one available - version, with no functionality like that.

Looking it up I found an answer, and it seems that the only way to do it now is to mess around with scripts? I don't want that, but I do want rows of tabs - is there another add-on that does that, is the script changing the only way, or is it not available anymore? Further, maybe there's a browser that does that by default? I know Chrome doesn't, so I wanted to get back to Firefox, but those tabs, as dumb as it may be, were an important distinction.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like herringbone to me

thanks!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Got this car new last year. The windows get really bad condensation, since day 1. Obviously not a problem in summer, but as soon as the weather gets colder, my car seems to be the only one sitting parked with completely fogged up windows. Is this a sign of an issue or? The car is empty, I don't have open bottles or wet coats in it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Qubee posted:

Got this car new last year. The windows get really bad condensation, since day 1. Obviously not a problem in summer, but as soon as the weather gets colder, my car seems to be the only one sitting parked with completely fogged up windows. Is this a sign of an issue or? The car is empty, I don't have open bottles or wet coats in it.

Is the condensation on the inside? If so, there is water getting into the car somehow, or enough still in there to fog the windows. You could try a dehumidifier or something like a bucket of DampRid but if it’s still coming in somewhere it doesn’t solve your problem.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is the condensation on the inside? If so, there is water getting into the car somehow, or enough still in there to fog the windows. You could try a dehumidifier or something like a bucket of DampRid but if it’s still coming in somewhere it doesn’t solve your problem.

yeah it's definitely inside the windows. I can go rub my finger on the rear window on the outside and no mark will be left. it's also really irritating when I have passengers, the entire cabin turns into a sweaty sauna and the windows are hard to look out of, even with the aircon on (not recirculating). makes pulling out of junctions kinda russian roulette-y.

I bought a dehumidifer bag thing specifically for cars, didn't do anything. gonna book it into the garage and see if there's a dodgy seal somewhere that's letting humid air in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Qubee posted:

yeah it's definitely inside the windows. I can go rub my finger on the rear window on the outside and no mark will be left. it's also really irritating when I have passengers, the entire cabin turns into a sweaty sauna and the windows are hard to look out of, even with the aircon on (not recirculating). makes pulling out of junctions kinda russian roulette-y.

I bought a dehumidifer bag thing specifically for cars, didn't do anything. gonna book it into the garage and see if there's a dodgy seal somewhere that's letting humid air in.

FYI it's not humid air getting it. As big crush on Chad OMG said, it is water.

It (say) drips through a windscreen seal and onto the carpet. This is then what causes the condensation.

Take a piece of kitchen towel and press it onto likely areas and see if anything is damp as this may give you a clue.

E: you've got on a PCP, haven't you? complain about water ingress and let them sort it all out.

spog fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 29, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

spog posted:

FYI it's not humid air getting it. As big crush on Chad OMG said, it is water.

It (say) drips through a windscreen seal and onto the carpet. This is then what causes the condensation.

Take a piece of kitchen towel and press it onto likely areas and see if anything is damp as this may give you a clue.

One place to look: the spare tire well in the bottom of the trunk. I've had two cars that got soggy back there, once from a disconnected drain-tube thing from the sunroof, and once from a bad seal around the rear hatch. But because you probably don't get back there very often, it's entirely possible not to even notice for a long time that that entire area is just awash.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make sure you're not leaving sweaty gym clothes or wet shoes or anything like that in there either.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can stop build up of condensation by rubbing your windows on the inside with a half potato.

e: i dont know how this works, thank my foster mom for that tip that I still use today :allears:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't try to find the source of moisture in your car just stock up on potatoes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What, why would you not implement a short term solution while working on the long term.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

What, why would you not implement a short term solution while working on the long term.

Because you will smell of potatoes.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I had had an issue with condensation on the inside of my windshield a few winters ago. I think it was the snow my shoes were bringing into the car. The internet told my to enable the A/C while running the heater. That pulled out the excesses moisture after a few drives. Now I turn the A/C on in the winter if I start seeing any condensation and it takes care of it right away.

No idea why the OPs car is doing it to such an extant and to just one side window.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you eat a lot of legumes op?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

thanks to all the advice, gonna get the dealership to sort it out cause aye I got it on a PCP.

jjack229 posted:

No idea why the OPs car is doing it to such an extant and to just one side window.

it's all windows, I'm just too lazy to go out in the cold and take a proper picture. took this from my kitchen window.

Turtlicious posted:

do you eat a lot of legumes op?

probs below average if i'm being honest

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Anybody recognize this style of christmas tree/light bulb and know where I might get a replacement? The company I bought the tree from no longer has the tree available, no other tree they have has the same kind of matte finished LED bulbs, and I haven't had any luck looking for them elsewhere.

Even just the diode itself would be fine, I could put it in and bend the prongs appropriately myself in the existing holder.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This is a really broad question but is there still a large ratio of 100 dollar benjamins being circulated officially without the blue security strip on it? I figure obviously on "main street" they will get passed around for some time but is there any reason banks/govt might still pass them around?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Large denominations tend to circulate less and thus wear out slower. And banks usually won't send the old bills in for replacement until they're worn enough. So you'll certainly see older versions of the bills going around more often than you see like 10s and 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

Normally your health insurance will have an advice line you can call with these questions. On top of that, the state you're in completely changes how your insurance could work. I'd also check online and see if there's an online web portal.

My doctors will ignore me for weeks and then call me randomly to make a new appointment. It seems to me like yours does something similar?

I am not a lawyer, doctor, or insurance agent, anything I post shouldn't be considered advice, etc and so forth.

Thanks, now that I've thought about it I would actually prefer that my HR not know what it is that I get up to at the doctor's office. Cigna actually does have a semi-useful portal that I've used several times.The problem is sorted, but I'll remember to call insurance next time something tiresome like this happens.

tuyop posted:

You could go to the office itself.
So this turned out to be the answer. It was a little hard because I work 5 pm to 5 am and am almost always asleep during business hours, but once I showed up and looked sad at them the assistant was able to assure me that the followup approval was just Cigna spamming spamming me with approvals in the interest of getting what I wanted done quickly. I was given a referral to an outside office for some things that should help me out and a followup appointment was set for mid-January.

Have some happy men dancing with fans as my thanks to you both. (NWS!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKmXITTAo6M (Drinkin Boys - DJ Ozma)