Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Agreed have any recommendations for me? I'm already running a wah, two distortions and a delay. What else do I need for a well rounded kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It just depends on what kind of sounds you need to make. If I had that setup, I would still want a chorus and I would still want a fuzz. But I might not be the best dude to ask, what with the complete lack of moderation, etc.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Well, one of the distortions is my MMX metal master and the other is a fuzzbox from the 80s (which sound SICK together btw), and I had a typo in that last post, I'm running a chorus and not a delay.

From your experience, what delays have you had luck with, and what other strange or "eclectic" stomps come to mind?

Engine Fortegue fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 6, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

My favorite stomp delay for price:performance is the EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai. I've loved every minute with that pedal. I was going to get the Eventide unit but I gave the SMMH a shot since it was about $200 cheaper, and it pretty much rocked my world. The Eventide is a better delay, no doubt about it, but the SMMH is fun as hell and rocks its pricerange hard. However, the Boss DD-7 is a killer delay, and the Digitech Hardwire delay is a very nice pedal too. I wouldn't trade either of them for my SMMH though. If you're looking for a traditional analog delay, the MXR Carbon Copy is popular for a reason and the Ibanez analog delay is a good pedal, too, but the EHX Deluxe Memory Man is in my opinion the best sounding analog tape delay simulator around. If you get the Carbon Copy make sure to open it up and adjust the internal trim pot that controls the modulation depth, it makes the "Mod" switch a hundred times more useful when it isn't so subtle.

As far as "strange" stomps go, any particular neat stuff you're looking for? I'm reviewing a killer fuzz right now that has an ominous momentary sub-octave when its cranked; there's an overdrive I have that can make your guitar sound like an old square-wave synth, especially if you've got some chorus or phaser after it; in my opinion everyone ought to have one really monstrous high gain fuzz...

You might check out a vibrato pedal, they're pretty cool sounding. I recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe, inexpensive but sounds really good. Also, it turns out that the Danelectro Cool Cat pedals are all slightly modified, cheaply made clones of boutique stompboxes, kind of interesting situation going on there. The Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is a 4-diode-only, SMD parts version of Paul Cochrane's Timmy (Paul is a good guy and his Tim and Timmy pedals feed his family, so don't buy the Dan-o instead of the Timmy, but if you can't afford the - quite reasonably priced - $129 Timmy I guess it's an option for you); Cool Cat Drive is a Voodoo Labs OverDrive/OCD-esque circuit; Cool Cat Fuzz is a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone... More work is being done now at https://www.freestompboxes.org to try and figure out what the rest are.

You really need an EQ pedal or two, it'll open up a huge amount of space you don't have available without them. I'd get two Danelectro Fish n' Chips EQs, total cost $60, run one before and one after your dirt section of your pedalboard and you'll have amazing tone shaping abilities.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
EQ pedal? They're pretty useful.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Agreed posted:

You might check out a vibrato pedal, they're pretty cool sounding. I recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe, inexpensive but sounds really good. Also, it turns out that the Danelectro Cool Cat pedals are all slightly modified, cheaply made clones of boutique stompboxes, kind of interesting situation going on there. The Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is a 4-diode-only, SMD parts version of Paul Cochrane's Timmy (Paul is a good guy and his Tim and Timmy pedals feed his family, so don't buy the Dan-o instead of the Timmy, but if you can't afford the - quite reasonably priced - $129 Timmy I guess it's an option for you); Cool Cat Drive is a Voodoo Labs OverDrive/OCD-esque circuit; Cool Cat Fuzz is a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone... More work is being done now at https://www.freestompboxes.org to try and figure out what the rest are.

This was amazing to watch unfold on both freestompboxes and gear page. Being as I'm exceptionally broke right now, i'll probably be picking up the transparent od. I'd love to buy a timmy straight from paul, but babies and new houses are expensive. :(

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Wang Broom posted:

This was amazing to watch unfold on both freestompboxes and gear page. Being as I'm exceptionally broke right now, i'll probably be picking up the transparent od. I'd love to buy a timmy straight from paul, but babies and new houses are expensive. :(

Apparently these things are selling out on a lot of sites, the push to get a "lawsuit" pedal has started.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Which is so loving :rolleyes: it isn't funny. Paul sells the Timmy at a very reasonable price in the first place, and the goddamned Danelectro cheap clone of it isn't going to ever be worth anything, the parts are crap and it isn't even perfectly to spec (3 circuit values changed out of around 28). If people are hoping to speculate on an extremely widely available Danelectro pedal that is a cheap Chinese clone of a pedal that is still in production, I can only smile at the fact that they're now going to at least get to tell us how five Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive pedals sound in a row, since they're never going to sell any for anything resembling a profit.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I haven't read through all the threads, but I've heard the differences are all in power supply filtering, which wouldn't make much of a difference.

Even if you can't flip the Danos, there is definitely more interest in them now that have been traced and it's been shown you can "save" money over a boutique pedal (I'll admit I will probably get the Trans OD if I see one).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Power supply filtering and the op-amp are different. The op-amp used in the Timmy isn't available in SMD. Also, the Dan-o doesn't have the Timmy's switchable diodes, it's got 4 while the Timmy can use either 4, 5, or 6 with the flip of a switch. And they're using cheap cheap components in the Dan-os.

But I've got one and I've also heard the Timmy and they're pretty damned close, as you'd expect.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Cheap as in inexpensive or cheap as in lovely? Everything drops in cost when you go bulk SMD. The build quality is definitely better on the Timmy though, that dude really seemed to put a lot of care into QA.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Cheap as in lovely - or at least there are some build quality issues, sometimes hard to tell. I do know that the local shop has had a lot of problems out of the Cool Cat Vibe and Trem, especially, but they've got more going on. Hard to gently caress up a simple dirt circuit, I guess, and original though the Timmy was it is still simple. Buying in massive bulk means massive discounts, true, but they're still selling OCD/VLOD "derived" pedals for $25 a pop, sacrifices must be made to hit that pricepoint (since we're including the metal case, the small true-bypass switch, the paint job on the case, and shipping).

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm no way attacking you here, but didn't you rave about these a little while back? Do you think you like them less because you know now that they're clones?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I know you're not dogging on me, it's fine man. I did rave about them. I still like them as far as the tone goes, I mean, hell, they sound great (and now we know why). I have been talking to Paul C about it and what it means to him, though, and it's hard to be as chipper about the idea when the "homage" looks like it might put the designer himself out of business. Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, but the guy has a family that he supports by making Tims and Timmys, and though I had predicted this wouldn't impact his sales, now it's looking like it's damned definitely going to do just that. And he doesn't really have the margin to absorb that shock. He's not like your average "boutique" cloner who builds $200+ Tubescreamers, Bluesbreakers, Guv'nors, Fuzz Faces, etc.; he designed an original pedal 12 years ago and has made a living since then building and selling them, originally for just $100 and only last year raising the price to $129. That's less than a reissue Tubescreamer, and the Timmy is a kickass circuit. But now it looks like he might be up poo poo creek because Danelectro decided to pick his pedal to rip off. Does he have any legal recourse? No, none, it's hard and expensive to get a patent on a circuit so he's got no leg to stand on there. But though it is legally straightforward I can't help but feel bad for Paul. That's darkened my outlook on them, but taken as they are, without regard for the circumstances, of course they're good sounding pedals.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 6, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Did you see that someone claiming to be from Dano has posted threads on TGP and FSB saying that all design work was handled by their Far East fab plant?

The attitudes people are taking towards this are interesting, this kind of thing really leaves a dirty taste when the original designer is a nice guy.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just bought a new amp ;)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

metalhead posted:

Just bought a new amp ;)
Sweet, I just bought a pony.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

scuz posted:

Sweet, I just bought a pony.

A tease.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

metalhead posted:

A tease.

Haha, I was just giving you a rough time for not posting pictures of your new purchase in the thread of like title. :)

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

scuz posted:

Haha, I was just giving you a rough time for not posting pictures of your new purchase in the thread of like title. :)

Unfortunately it hasn't shipped out yet. Once it's in my possession, there will be plenty of pictures to go around.

And I didn't post a picture because I thought it'd be fun if you guys tried to guess what I dropped thousands of dollars on :v:

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Feh... can't be any good. it's not laquered tweed and has more than a volume and tone knob.

oh poo poo... this isn't the gear page...

carry on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I have a problem

Real pictures when it gets here :3:

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

I have a problem

yessssssssssssss

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Stux posted:

I have a problem

What;s with that bridge? It sort of looks like it's floating, but there's no obvious place for a trem arm.

Nice guitar btw. No bullshit design, but obviously still a bit of a shredder.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zakalwe posted:

What;s with that bridge? It sort of looks like it's floating, but there's no obvious place for a trem arm.

Nice guitar btw. No bullshit design, but obviously still a bit of a shredder.

It's a gibraltar fixed bridge.

RGA121s are gorgeous. Throw some Bareknuckles in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDDWVpNiovE

He's playing a 121 through the amp I just bought :)

metalhead fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Stux posted:

I have a problem

I really want to get a RGT42MDX and throw blackouts in it. :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

metalhead posted:

It's a gibraltar fixed bridge.

RGA121s are gorgeous. Throw some Bareknuckles in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDDWVpNiovE

He's playing a 121 through the amp I just bought :)

Bareknuckles are a definite, but not for a month or two. Whichever I get I think I'm going to go for the burnt chrome covers:

Although I'm going to ask him to use smaller screws in the adjustable pole pieces this time, the standard ones are huge and would mean I'd need to route the body out.

edit: Also its going to be refreshing to have an Ibanez that ISNT basswood! Prestige quality with a mahogany body, maple top and fixed bridge :swoon:

Stux fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 6, 2009

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Agreed posted:

... But now it looks like he might be up poo poo creek because Danelectro decided to pick his pedal to rip off ...

I feel like the type of people who buy boutique pedals aren't going to buy the cheap knockoff instead. I agree that it was lame of Danelectro to rip off the design but I don't think it will make a real dent in the boutique pedal niche market.

Also, I didn't even know what the Tim or Timmy pedals were until I read about them here. Maybe this whole thing will get the maker some publicity and end up helping him.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

who cares posted:

I feel like the type of people who buy boutique pedals aren't going to buy the cheap knockoff instead. I agree that it was lame of Danelectro to rip off the design but I don't think it will make a real dent in the boutique pedal niche market.

Also, I didn't even know what the Tim or Timmy pedals were until I read about them here. Maybe this whole thing will get the maker some publicity and end up helping him.
I had no idea what they were either, but I'm very interested in the Tim and its possible uses on bass.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

who cares posted:

Timmy's have a waiting list (I think ~6 months), you can pick up a Trans OD at GC right now. How many people will get the Dano to "try out" the Timmy before they order or while they wait and never actually end up buying one?

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Stux posted:

edit: Also its going to be refreshing to have an Ibanez that ISNT basswood! Prestige quality with a mahogany body, maple top and fixed bridge :swoon:

I've got an Ibanez with those specs, and if yours is anything like mine you made a great purchase. Also it looks drat great.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.
My RGA 121 is holding up kickass, three weeks after I received it. Stux, are you buying that new or used? If it's used, let me know if you have string buzz problems at the bridge on the low strings: it's been a problem on mine and I'm thinking it's just because the bridge is made from a soft metal. Also, gorgeous guitar: congrats. You'll love it: mine is far and away the best playing guitar I've ever owned: the action is impeccable, the fret dressing is absolutely perfect, and the sustain is ridiculous. Maybe all that sustain is what happens when you make an Ibanez out of an actual tonewood, who knows.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

who cares posted:

I initially argued that as well but there has been a huge number of people now buying TransODs on HCFX and elsewhere, and all it takes is about 10 less people per month ordering a Timmy and Paul C has to start looking for a job.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Y'all know those VXT 6 I bought and loved? For $449 a pair?

Yeah, Guitar Center has an instant rebate thing going on, $199 for the immaculate VXT 4, $299 for the impeccable VXT 6, $399 for the slightly less accurate but lower extending VXT 8.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

I initially argued that as well but there has been a huge number of people now buying TransODs on HCFX and elsewhere, and all it takes is about 10 less people per month ordering a Timmy and Paul C has to start looking for a job.

Why doesn't he contact Danelectro and ask for a job designing pedals (in exchange for waiving his ability to sue)? Do they not employ people that do that? I mean, if they're just stealing his designs then they should see the value in doing that. I can't imagine he needs a ludicrous salary to meet whatever he makes selling effects pedals that he builds himself.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Apparently they don't employ engineers, they exist as a marketing company and they outsource design to their factory. No one at Dano ripped him off (if online claims are to be believed), someone in China did.
Paul Cochrane has no right to sue anyway, this is perfectly legal.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What's a good, really entry level (read: cheap) audio interface I can buy? A friend of my is offering me a PC of his with amplitude 2 (space issues) on it for basically free but isn't willing to part with the audio interface he's been using. I'm a student with basically no disposable income so I really don't have much money to spend but I really want to try this out, especially since I live in a small apartment. Is it even worth investing that little money (max is ~$120) into an interface?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

They claim to outsource design to their factory. However, there are a number of things which call that into question. First, the guy that owns Dan-o owns Foxx or Foxrox or whatever patents, and they made their way into one of the Food series dirts if I remember correctly. Second, there was a Youtube interview with the man who was billed as the designer of the Cool Cats. That man is Hank Linderman. On the comments section of the interview, someone asked this question:

quote:

I saw a video on YouTube of you demoing the Cool Cat series from Danelectro. The interviewer mentioned you were a co-designer. The Transparent OD sounds great! What was your inspiration? Thanks for your time.

And received this reply:

quote:

Hi CarbonZinc9 - actually, I'm the interviewer, not Hank! But if it helps, Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

That reply was soon removed from the video, and now the video itself has been made private so that it can't be seen by what I can only imagine are now very prying eyes. This is to my view the UK distributor who did that interview trying to buy himself some rear end insurance, and is most likely the primary cause of Danelectro's rep taking the odd moving of posting their not-so mea culpa blaming the "Far East factory" for anything that might be going on.

A strange series of events, indeed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Brownie posted:

What's a good, really entry level (read: cheap) audio interface I can buy? A friend of my is offering me a PC of his with amplitude 2 (space issues) on it for basically free but isn't willing to part with the audio interface he's been using. I'm a student with basically no disposable income so I really don't have much money to spend but I really want to try this out, especially since I live in a small apartment. Is it even worth investing that little money (max is ~$120) into an interface?

Heck yeah, get a Guitar Rig Session interface. They're cheap and they come with the full version of Guitar Rig 3 right now. Hell of a deal. Between Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 3, you'll be hard pressed to find a sound in your head that you can't make come out of your speakers.

Though if you don't have a good monitoring rig you might be disappointed with the sounds you get, and especially with how poorly they translate to other systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I've got an Ibanez with those specs, and if yours is anything like mine you made a great purchase. Also it looks drat great.

Early Cuyler posted:

My RGA 121 is holding up kickass, three weeks after I received it. Stux, are you buying that new or used? If it's used, let me know if you have string buzz problems at the bridge on the low strings: it's been a problem on mine and I'm thinking it's just because the bridge is made from a soft metal. Also, gorgeous guitar: congrats. You'll love it: mine is far and away the best playing guitar I've ever owned: the action is impeccable, the fret dressing is absolutely perfect, and the sustain is ridiculous. Maybe all that sustain is what happens when you make an Ibanez out of an actual tonewood, who knows.

I've been googling about it and I havn't found anyone saying it isnt a great guitar, most of them saying its the best they've owned. It shouldn't buzz, the guy has promised a full setup on it in the tuning I'll be using. As I said before, an Ibanez prestige but with GOOD tonewoods sounds like the perfect guitar for me so I'm pretty excited :D Also I've had fret buzz on some low action Ibanez guitars before but its never come through on an amp so I'm not too worried about it. Its used. Also a loving CARVED TOP!!!!

What is the bridge like by the way? There isn't anything weird about it is there? I'm only asking because I've come to HATE floating bridges and the Gibralter looks like its almost floating...