Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Lots of competition for gigs here in North Dakota: http://fargo.craigslist.org/muc/4460435863.html

definitely fake but i lol'd all the same

edit: since craigslist posts get taken down so often, here's what it said in case it gets flagged:

quote:

Dynamic Bass Player Available (Fargo (some restrictions))

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

Bass player available for PAY GIGS ONLY. I play G, C, D. If your songs are not in G, please transpose them into G. If your song has an Em or Bm or anything off the wall I will probably sit out that chord. Or I could learn those notes for $30 each. If you want me to do fancy stuff like go back and forth between G and D while you hold a G chord, forget it because I'm a "pocket" player.

Minimum $100 per gig within a 5 mile radius of 58103. $5 per mile travel charge for other areas out of town. Please make sure your gigs are on a Matbus bus route, or you can pick me up at my place. Must be home by 11pm due to previous legal hassles.

No gigs within 500 yards of schools, parks, or playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like I've read that before. Recurring gag maybe.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Digital Jesus posted:

I feel like I've read that before. Recurring gag maybe.

Yeah, it seems to make its way to every city on craigslist.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that, no matter how much I want it to, my 62 RI Precision neck and I just don't get along that well. It's more of a proportional issue than how wide it is; I've played 57 RIs that feel better despite being thicker front to back. There's just something about the wide/shallow 62 neck that makes it feel like I'm playing a 2x4 or something. Everything else about it is great, though. I already found a guy with a 57 RI who's interested in doing a neck swap, but I'm not sure yet. Other options include getting a replacement neck from Musikraft or something, but I'm really trying to talk myself out of just saying gently caress it and ordering a custom Creston. Feel free to talk me into/out of doing something stupid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I've never tried a bass neck from Warmoth but that could be an option but hey if you've got a guy willing to swap necks with you and that's free then go for it

I just think it's worth to spend extra to make sure it's what you want, you know?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
more fusion for the fusion gods https://soundcloud.com/fro_tone/jumbly-towers-complete-trax-mix-11/s-ujGhv

Drums are still out in front a bit too much on this one, and I really want some sub 100hz frequencies boosted a tad. But super happy with this one, it's one of my two cuts on the EP. I'd written both of them years ago but was never able to find the right band to fully develop them.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

more fusion for the fusion gods https://soundcloud.com/fro_tone/jumbly-towers-complete-trax-mix-11/s-ujGhv

Drums are still out in front a bit too much on this one, and I really want some sub 100hz frequencies boosted a tad. But super happy with this one, it's one of my two cuts on the EP. I'd written both of them years ago but was never able to find the right band to fully develop them.

This mix sounds better to me, but still has too much of some drums and cymbals. I think the rhythm guitar is a bit front during solos also, maybe just a touch of reverb could tone that down and move it further back in the soundstage. I don't think it should get buried, but it drew my ear more than I would expect.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CaseFace McGee posted:

This mix sounds better to me, but still has too much of some drums and cymbals. I think the rhythm guitar is a bit front during solos also, maybe just a touch of reverb could tone that down and move it further back in the soundstage. I don't think it should get buried, but it drew my ear more than I would expect.

Agreed, glad it wasn't just me... Thanks for taking a listen!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, the bass could definitely be filling out more of the bottom end, but other than that everything seems to sit nicely. The odd time signature stuff was executed expertly. Cool track!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, the bass could definitely be filling out more of the bottom end, but other than that everything seems to sit nicely. The odd time signature stuff was executed expertly. Cool track!

Thanks!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

It actually sounds pretty good on my MBP speakers. Some sexy bass playing there.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'd like to get involved with a band or a jam group, but I don't have a bass amplifier that I could use. On the other hand, I've never done this before so I don't know if I'd even enjoy it and wouldn't want to waste the cash (right now I play into my PC speakers).

Many people have suggested on this thread that a Bass-Driver into a PA is the way to go for onstage work, but I doubt that'd fly in my situation. I'd really appreciate some input on my best course of action please. My budget would be derived from selling other gear, so probably $500 max.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I've been playing almost exclusively on a Schecter Stilletto Extreme 4 and I love it as my first bass and the one I've learnt the basics on. I dont mean to change it but I'm on the market for a used mid range bass to toy with. I've tested a Lakland Skyline 44-60 in a shop and was really amazed with its playability so I'm pretty much set on them, and luckily I found someone selling a Skyline DJ5 around (850 euros which is pretty much my budget).

Now obviously the DJ5 is a fiver but I also read that it was 35', so I want to test it thoroughly to see if it really suits me and no shop carry them around here. Can you guys give me some pointers as to how different 5 strings and 35' basses feel and what to look for to see if it'll be unconformtable for me in the long run? I'll definitely try it before I buy it but I might be biased from the start since the bass is gorgeous and I really trust Lakland to put out great instruments. I may not have that much time to play it either.

While I'm here a quick a suggestion for the OP is to add Jon Liebman's book Bass Aerobics to the reading list for beginners and intermediate players. It's part mechanical workout part style studies and it's very effective if you learn theory on the side and/or want some mindless practice fun. Probably the only book I'd keep right now and definitely the one that had me progress the most.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

I'd like to get involved with a band or a jam group, but I don't have a bass amplifier that I could use. On the other hand, I've never done this before so I don't know if I'd even enjoy it and wouldn't want to waste the cash (right now I play into my PC speakers).

Many people have suggested on this thread that a Bass-Driver into a PA is the way to go for onstage work, but I doubt that'd fly in my situation. I'd really appreciate some input on my best course of action please. My budget would be derived from selling other gear, so probably $500 max.

It depends on the situation...if you're going to a jam night at one of the local bars in town, then they'll usually have an amp there already. Also, if you get a band together and rent a rehearsal studio then they'll also usually have amps there that you can use in the meantime. When playing live you could use a DI box into the PA, but you don't always know if the house PA and/or speakers can handle the lower frequencies so it might not be best to risk it. As far as amps in the $500 range goes, I tried out the SWR Redhead and it was really nice, although I'm not seeing it at musician's friend.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Southern Heel posted:

Seventh Arrow posted:

It depends on the situation...if you're going to a jam night at one of the local bars in town, then they'll usually have an amp there already. Also, if you get a band together and rent a rehearsal studio then they'll also usually have amps there that you can use in the meantime. When playing live you could use a DI box into the PA, but you don't always know if the house PA and/or speakers can handle the lower frequencies so it might not be best to risk it. As far as amps in the $500 range goes, I tried out the SWR Redhead and it was really nice, although I'm not seeing it at musician's friend.

All good info from Seventh Arrow. Don't discount used gear too, "I don't know if I'd even enjoy it and wouldn't want to waste the cash"
Your $500 will get you more amp and you're far more likely to break even if you decide to sell it. It's been a long while since I've been in the "gear loop", but I think that the SWR Redhead Bass Combo Amp has been discontinued. If you can find a used one, then that would be a solid purchase.

As for specs. I would go for at least 150 Watt, 12" speaker (or two 10"), DI & headphones out (and if you can swing it audio IN as well).
The Ampeg BA-210SP isn't too bad... I had an Ampeg similar to this for a while for rehearsals, practice, and small venues. It didn't sound "bad", but if you decide you really enjoy playing with outer people, you'll probably want to upgrade eventually.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ericadia posted:

It actually sounds pretty good on my MBP speakers. Some sexy bass playing there.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've got all of the tracks uploaded to a private playlist on soundcloud. If anyone wants to take a listen just PM me and I'll send the link.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone have any experience with Eden's EX112 cab? I'm thinking about ordering one and getting a second one later. It seems decent, light AND fairly cheap, but it's pretty rare to find something that ticks all 3 of those boxes :)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You guys probably get posts like this all the time, so I'M SORRY.

I've been playing (using the term very loosely) guitar for about ten years and I'm getting into bass. I notice the OP hasn't been updated in about four years. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger, are the three guitars in the OP still generally recommended as quality instruments? I don't want to miss out on some amazing deal that came out in 2012 and has taken the bass world by storm.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Paineopticon posted:

I've been playing (using the term very loosely) guitar for about ten years and I'm getting into bass. I notice the OP hasn't been updated in about four years. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger, are the three guitars in the OP still generally recommended as quality instruments? I don't want to miss out on some amazing deal that came out in 2012 and has taken the bass world by storm.

Only suggestion I would make is to save up a little extra money, bypass getting the Ibanez GSR200s and go straight for the Squier VM. It'd serve you much better for much longer. Don't get me wrong, the GSR200 is still a solid beginner's instrument, but you'll likely outgrow it in a year and it's resale value is MAYBE $50-$75...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

Only suggestion I would make is to save up a little extra money, bypass getting the Ibanez GSR200s and go straight for the Squier VM. It'd serve you much better for much longer. Don't get me wrong, the GSR200 is still a solid beginner's instrument, but you'll likely outgrow it in a year and it's resale value is MAYBE $50-$75...

Backing this. Squier has been pumping out beginner instruments that are completely road/studio worthy after a few upgrades (or none, sometimes). I started off my bass playing with a GSR and now my main bass is a VM 70s J Bass. I have a Music Man Bongo that costs way more than the Squier and it's nowhere close to the feel and sound of it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Paineopticon posted:

Any of the Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes will be great for starting out. I'd look up some demos comparing Precisions & Jazzes and figure out which one you like more, though one of the biggest differences is neck size (Jazzes are almost always skinnier) & figuring out what's comfortable is probably more important than the sound differences. In other words you'd want to try both before making a choice.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

That's great news. I tooled around in the bass section on my lunch hour and I really, really liked the feel of the 70s VM J Bass there. I probably would have bought it on the spot if it had been the color I wanted. Glad to hear it's highly recommended.

How about amps? I already have a terrible, terrible practice amp, but my friends and I are going to tool around together and I'll need to be heard over the drums. OP recommendations still good?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Paineopticon posted:

That's great news. I tooled around in the bass section on my lunch hour and I really, really liked the feel of the 70s VM J Bass there. I probably would have bought it on the spot if it had been the color I wanted. Glad to hear it's highly recommended.

How about amps? I already have a terrible, terrible practice amp, but my friends and I are going to tool around together and I'll need to be heard over the drums. OP recommendations still good?

The only amp I know of in the OP is the Roland Micro Cube, which won't stand a chance against a drummer (unless your drummer is elite at volume control (most aren't)). I do love amp chat so I'm going to throw out that I recommend all of Carvin's bass amps. They're light, loud, sound great, and priced well. You should also look into some of Peavey's combo amps, I don't remember the exact names but I remember trying some of their 1x15" combos recently and was satisfied with the sound.

There isn't a set wattage that equates to "louder than drums" but I think for solid state bass amps, we usually recommend 300+ watts. You'll probably spend around $500+/-

EDIT: You can get away with a 100-200watt amp but you'll likely be maxing your volume to keep up with a band. Always go for better gear than what you need at the moment imo

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 14, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Peavey MAX 115. 300 watts, sounds pretty good, about a dollar a watt

E: Alternatively, go used. You can find some decent SWR/Ampeg/GK stuff that will let you keep pace with a band for $250 or less

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 15, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Always go used. New gear isn't worth it unless it is actually not available on the secondary market.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I can vouch for finding amazing gear used, with some hard searching and a little luck.

Still playing a 90's MiM Fender J that I got for free from a guy who wasn't using it, an early 00's SWR 350 I had shipped through Guitar Center's used section for around $300ish, and an 80's Carvin 2x15 I got for $75 from a guy who didn't know any better.

Throw in a the VT Bass I'm using as a preamp ($125) and you're looking at a stage ready rig for just about $500; I paid more than that for my first electric guitar.

In other stories, my friend who lives outside of St. Louis found a busted rear end stand-up bass on the side of a highway and had it restored for a couple hundred.

Another was fortunate to have been friends with people with sizable collections already, and when he volunteered to be the bassist for a new project band, things just sort of clicked and he ended up pretty much getting handed his entire rig.

Yet another saw Punkstick's website, back in the day when that was still around, and built his bass out of scrap wood and a Seymour Duncan, and used a toilet seat for a body. :gonk:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Yet another saw Punkstick's website, back in the day when that was still around, and built his bass out of scrap wood and a Seymour Duncan, and used a toilet seat for a body. :gonk:

was the toilet seat used? :v:

fake edit: oh you mean he owned a Bongo?!?!? HEH

sorry

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll be back as I start to delve into theory and such. It's something I mostly skipped while learning guitar and I want to correct that on bass.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Would anyone recommend the Eden DI box/preamp over the usual sansamp DI?

I've been looking for something like this and have heard it's also a good preamp for cello, so I was thinking of selling my fishman pro eq 2 and picking this thing up so I have a preamp for both bass and cello. Anyone ever used it?

The only thing I've really noticed it doesn't have that the sansamp does is being able to be powered by phantom, but that doesn't really bother me too much.

ferroque fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 18, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

My GKRB700-II started to crackle in rehearsal. A little bit of percussive maintenance fixed it but it started up again. I'm planning on just hitting spots with contact cleaner and blasting it with canned air. Is this the way to go for it?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Noise Machine posted:

My GKRB700-II started to crackle in rehearsal. A little bit of percussive maintenance fixed it but it started up again. I'm planning on just hitting spots with contact cleaner and blasting it with canned air. Is this the way to go for it?

hit the pots with contact cleaner and turn the knobs back and forth a few times.

check the cables blah blah blah.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
If anyone has a bass that they are looking to sell, please PM me or reply here. thanks!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

If anyone has a bass that they are looking to sell, please PM me or reply here. thanks!

I'll sell you my stealth MM Bongo 5 for a lot of money.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm selling my Warmoth medium scale J/P locally if you happen to live near Vancouver.

5 months into the Dingwall wait now, and it's not getting any easier.

Digital Jesus posted:

I think the body and neck are the same, it's just the pickups (2xFD3n pups at the bridge) and the Darkglass Electronics preamp that are different.

OH and the colour options. I have now officially preordered one in Ferrari Green... Nobody tell my wife :ohdear:

:getin:

Have you seen this NG-2 demo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrsvm_usgf0 I like the tone way better than Nolly's gear run-through.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2014

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Uhh yeah that sounds awesome. I hadn't seen that, thanks!

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm
A guitar builder got interested in the debate of "does wood make a difference in the sound of electric guitar or not?" so he decided to test it out himself. Unlike some other people, he used a waveform as a means to compare the sounds. These tests are done with a guitar, but they should apply to basses as well. What are your thoughts on this?

First he tested the difference in sound between bodies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mH5hwLkxCI

Then he tested the difference in sound if a guitar has no neck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKfHkHZ6qQ

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Certis Baliano posted:

A guitar builder got interested in the debate of "does wood make a difference in the sound of electric guitar or not?" so he decided to test it out himself. Unlike some other people, he used a waveform as a means to compare the sounds. These tests are done with a guitar, but they should apply to basses as well. What are your thoughts on this?

First he tested the difference in sound between bodies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mH5hwLkxCI

Then he tested the difference in sound if a guitar has no neck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKfHkHZ6qQ

It's pretty clear to me that if wood does make any difference, it is very slight compared to pickups, amplifiers, speakers, EQ settings and especially playing technique. I think "tonewood" is mostly promoted by people who are trying to justify high price tags for "vintage" or "exotic" stuff. That stuff can be nice for other reasons (appearance and playability), but not because the wood has magical tone properties (which is really what the argument comes down to).

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So one of my instrument projects this weekend was a restring and set-up on my Schecter, heading back up to medium strings since my hand strength is returning. Man, I'd forgotten how much of a drat power cable low E is on a medium set. I haven't had much in the way of play time on it since the swap, but initially it felt odd to me. Hopefully I can get over it, because the lights were bending way too easily, and bass that pulls sharp is EvilTM.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Any opinions on the Ibanez Artcore AFB200? I started talking to a friend about finally picking up a bass to learn on and he linked me a few on Ebay. I want a shorter scale and I have a boner for hollow/semi-hollow.
Also, whats the go-to cheap, small amp for learning on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I spent 10 days away and came back with a raging desire to compose tunes. Unfortunately, my only bass amp was a flubby practise amp from the 70's. I decided to upgrade (plus guitar amp and my CV with Flats) to a Fender Rumble 100:

I can't believe how loud this guy is, incredibly light and lovely sounding. I'm putting the finishing touches on a bass-forward recording to try and demo the DI-out sound.