Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ball Cupper posted:

Ages ago I played a freeware game. It was 2d top-down, and a space combat game. You plan the move that your space ships will make (including firing), and then you hit "go" and the move plays out at the same time as the opponent's moves. It plays for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the next planning bit happens, and so on. What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

I remember there being different types of space ship, and the plan-then-action setup of the game stood out to me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Any ideas?
Critical Mass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Not quite, but that looks pretty close!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ball Cupper posted:

What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

Wego is that kind of turn based.

http://www.giantbomb.com/wego/3015-5269/games/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ball Cupper posted:

Ages ago I played a freeware game. It was 2d top-down, and a space combat game. You plan the move that your space ships will make (including firing), and then you hit "go" and the move plays out at the same time as the opponent's moves. It plays for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the next planning bit happens, and so on. What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

I remember there being different types of space ship, and the plan-then-action setup of the game stood out to me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Any ideas?

Was this game mostly combat, or was this the combat system within a 4x/strategy game?

Because if the latter, it could be Stars! or VGA Planets

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Looks like a very similar style of play, but that's not the one.

a medical mystery posted:

Was this game mostly combat, or was this the combat system within a 4x/strategy game?

Because if the latter, it could be Stars! or VGA Planets

From what I remember, it was all space combat, top-down. I'd hesitate to say it was "arcade-y" but it tended towards that direction.

I've been trawling through loads of freeware sites (I'm certain it was freeware) but it's like it just disappeared into memory!

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Right. Either for the Mega Drive/Genesis or SNES (I think), Isometric football (SAWCER) game with relatively decent graphics, i believe it was 5v5 and there were "Classes" like Striker I and Striker II. Striker I could put insane curl on the ball and Striker II just hammered a ball of fire. I believe there was a "Cheat" class that you could dive with too.

EDIT it was Fever Pitch/Head On Soccer for the SNES

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 8, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Astrobastard posted:

Right. Either for the Mega Drive/Genesis or SNES (I think), Isometric football (SAWCER) game with relatively decent graphics, i believe it was 5v5 and there were "Classes" like Striker I and Striker II. Striker I could put insane curl on the ball and Striker II just hammered a ball of fire. I believe there was a "Cheat" class that you could dive with too.

Fever Pitch/Head-On Soccer?

Edit: Well there ya go

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Hakkesshu posted:

Fever Pitch/Head-On Soccer?

Edit: Well there ya go

Buddy on Facebook juuust beat you to it, it sure was, thanks :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Halman posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm pretty sure that's it. Thanks!

Amagon is a super bad game, please don't subject yourself to it :(

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Kaislioc posted:

Sounds like Unholy Heights to me.

Not this one - although that is a fun game.

MattTheDoctor posted:

Afterlife Empire?

Hmmm. It could be. I seem to remember the graphics being a little less cutesy, though.

Thanks for these suggestions anyway. I went back through several years in my history and couldn't find anything. If it's not Afterlife Empire then I'm sure this game will get a mention somewhere when it releases and I'll remember it. Either that or I dreamt the whole thing, which does happen :)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My wife says she remembers having a mickey mouse game for some crappy (probably pre-NES) game console, or possibly a very very old PC game. It was evidently sort of an edutainment affair; she remembers minigames where you were Chip and Dale catching acorns in teacups and one where you were somebody - maybe Goofy - fixing a tire? Ludwig von Drake was in it too, but doing what I couldn't say. I find it perplexing because I can't find a drat thing about this on google except one reddit post that got no replies.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Sounds like Donald Duck's Playground to me.

Fun fact, it was made by Al Lowe. He even has it for free download: http://www.allowe.com/downloads/games.html

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
You can also play it in your browser on archive.org, but I don't remember any other characters than Donald and his nephews in it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I've brought this up unsuccessfully before, but I remember playing an Elite-type space trucker game on the Commodore 64 where the biggest thing I can remember about it is that either the ship graphics were corrupted (the C64 scene was HUGE on piracy so I might've had a glitched pirate copy or something?) or they were all supposed to be weird rectangles full of seemingly random grey/black pixel block patterns. You could fly planet-to-planet and sell things for more/less than you bought em elsewhere in normal space trucker gameplay, and sometimes pirates or w/e would attack you, combat was turn based when this would happen and various gun/shield upgrades were things you could buy for your space trucker ships. I remember "Guns" or "Weapons" being a specific cargo you could haul around and sell on various planets. 7 year old me thought this was gritty as gently caress.

EDIT: I think some cargoes, maybe including "guns/weapons" were illegal and cops would attack you too over hauling those? Not as sure about that as other memories of the game though so I could be making that up.

chairface fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cmndstab posted:

Sounds like Donald Duck's Playground to me.

Fun fact, it was made by Al Lowe. He even has it for free download: http://www.allowe.com/downloads/games.html

Thanks for this, but this does not appear to be it. She claims that there were full-motion cartoons in whatever she played so it would probably have come a little later than this.

EDIT: Found it on youtube. It was called Disney's Cartoon Arcade for the Viewmaster Interactive Vision, a console that used VHS tapes??? gently caress me, this is obscure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_c60YL7us

Sade fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 3, 2015

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Sade posted:

Thanks for this, but this does not appear to be it. She claims that there were full-motion cartoons in whatever she played so it would probably have come a little later than this.

EDIT: Found it on youtube. It was called Disney's Cartoon Arcade for the Viewmaster Interactive Vision, a console that used VHS tapes??? gently caress me, this is obscure:

So obscure it's not even on MobyGames. :golfclap:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

That host :stare:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sade posted:

I didn't know M.C. Escher designed a game console.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

chairface posted:

I've brought this up unsuccessfully before, but I remember playing an Elite-type space trucker game on the Commodore 64 where the biggest thing I can remember about it is that either the ship graphics were corrupted (the C64 scene was HUGE on piracy so I might've had a glitched pirate copy or something?) or they were all supposed to be weird rectangles full of seemingly random grey/black pixel block patterns. You could fly planet-to-planet and sell things for more/less than you bought em elsewhere in normal space trucker gameplay, and sometimes pirates or w/e would attack you, combat was turn based when this would happen and various gun/shield upgrades were things you could buy for your space trucker ships. I remember "Guns" or "Weapons" being a specific cargo you could haul around and sell on various planets. 7 year old me thought this was gritty as gently caress.

EDIT: I think some cargoes, maybe including "guns/weapons" were illegal and cops would attack you too over hauling those? Not as sure about that as other memories of the game though so I could be making that up.

It's been years, but it sounds a bit like Moonfall or Space Rogue to me. Moonfall had cubeish ships with pixel block grey parts and trading, though I don't remember any weaponry specifically being traded, you could upgrade your ship. Space Rogue had tradable Contraband, ship upgrades and attacks by groups you had angered.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Pogonodon posted:

It's been years, but it sounds a bit like Moonfall or Space Rogue to me. Moonfall had cubeish ships with pixel block grey parts and trading, though I don't remember any weaponry specifically being traded, you could upgrade your ship. Space Rogue had tradable Contraband, ship upgrades and attacks by groups you had angered.

It's neither of those, wasn't wireframes like the one or obviously-sprites-of-a-ship like the second. These looked like frozen static patterns, and they would take off/land vertically when you'd get to another planet. It's a real bitch to look for cuz the C64 only had a few thousand lovely Elite ripoffs over the years. :smith:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

chairface posted:

It's neither of those, wasn't wireframes like the one or obviously-sprites-of-a-ship like the second. These looked like frozen static patterns, and they would take off/land vertically when you'd get to another planet. It's a real bitch to look for cuz the C64 only had a few thousand lovely Elite ripoffs over the years. :smith:

Echelon? That's the only one I remember.

Seraphiel
Mar 29, 2012
Old online flash(?) game:

It was a bird's-eye-view office fighting game that was multiplayer - you could use guns, swords, sledgehammers etc - but it was with stick figures.

Really fun!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Stick Arena, most likely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People somewhere on SA were talking about this game where you command the navies of a historical nation right down to designing the ships and dealing with finances. I googled the gently caress out of it but can't find it. It had simple 2d graphics but looked spergy as gently caress.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

People somewhere on SA were talking about this game where you command the navies of a historical nation right down to designing the ships and dealing with finances. I googled the gently caress out of it but can't find it. It had simple 2d graphics but looked spergy as gently caress.

Rule the Waves?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yes thank you! These guys need to be easier to find.
Also after watching a couple youtubes of this it looks like the interface is impenetrable :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 13, 2015

Seraphiel
Mar 29, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Stick Arena, most likely.

yesssss

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

PC strategy game, played in the late 90's, but was kind of old then, so probably from the early-mid 90's. You played as, maybe a wizard? You picked your avatar picture, name, and race. Definitely had generic fantasy races including orcs, dark elves, and I want to say gnomes. I think the world map was turn based, but I remember that when you went into a battle, you had real time control of a single unit from a top down perspective, and two people could play simultaneously on one keyboard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

PC strategy game, played in the late 90's, but was kind of old then, so probably from the early-mid 90's. You played as, maybe a wizard? You picked your avatar picture, name, and race. Definitely had generic fantasy races including orcs, dark elves, and I want to say gnomes. I think the world map was turn based, but I remember that when you went into a battle, you had real time control of a single unit from a top down perspective, and two people could play simultaneously on one keyboard.

Rage of Mages 1 or 2?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rage of Mages 1 or 2?

No, the TBS map was much more world map looking. Like, you saw the entire continent when you weren't in battle. More like early Total War's use of provinces.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Urgh, Lords of Magic, maybe? You could have more than one unit in that but you could just play with the hero character too IIRC

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Thank you, but older than that, I think. According to my brother, it was on "like 6 floppies." Also, the real time combat wasn't isometric, it was much more Legend of Zelda perspective.
The evil races were definitely playable, and I remember the real time battles were things like castle sieges, big group battles like that.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Fantasy Empires?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Fantasy Empires?

Yes! That's it! Wow, it's even older than I thought.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
An early 90's or late 80's action adventure game. 2d top down, plays kinda like zelda or gauntlet, maybe some rpg elements, likely a console game but I might be wrong. There are pig-faced orcs as enemies. I thought it might've been a D&D title, but I just searched a bunch of console D&D titles and so far no match. I don't think it ever entered into first person like a typical D&D game of the time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What game was it that had a little blurb about the family of the bad guys when you killed them? Seems like something Kojima would do, but I know it wasn't any of the MGSes.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Alpha protocol had an Orphans Created stat.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A game I played on Playstation 1 and PC, about a future where Police drive robots with a surprising amount of guns. It could transform between a fast transport mode and a walker mode.

It was a Co-op game and had a really good Multiplayer mode which was a rather early tower defense game where your base would spawn minions while you tore around the map capping bases and occasionally sending out a super unit.

In one of the earlier missions you set fire to a crowd with a flamethrower while it shouts "Crowd Control", in an excellent display of good future policing

I think the name of it actually had a date and the word Police in it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Fans posted:

A game I played on Playstation 1 and PC, about a future where Police drive robots with a surprising amount of guns. It could transform between a fast transport mode and a walker mode.

It was a Co-op game and had a really good Multiplayer mode which was a rather early tower defense game where your base would spawn minions while you tore around the map capping bases and occasionally sending out a super unit.

In one of the earlier missions you set fire to a crowd with a flamethrower while it shouts "Crowd Control", in an excellent display of good future policing

I think the name of it actually had a date and the word Police in it.

Future Cop: LAPD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

moller posted:

Future Cop: LAPD?

That does sound like it! Thanks!