Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Xenoid posted:

I drive my car in my motorcycle gear until I have the insurance put on the bike again.
I still want to take the miata to Deal's Gap one day with full gear on inside the car, just to see the killboy pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I'm just going to leave this here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfC_WD0edDs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

its like lava posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfC_WD0edDs

I didn't know they gave licenses to pokeballs.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Phy posted:

lol'd a lot at this

oldie but good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hw_0-fRR4Q

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

So I just bought a WR250R. Drove my Saab 900 hatchback 300 miles to check it out, bought it, dropped the suspension linkage from the swingarm, rolled it into the back, and drove off. It wasn't until I was a good 100 miles out from San Luis Obispo that I stopped getting waves and thumbs-ups from the local off-road nutters. Who knew that you don't need a pickup to haul a bike around? P.S., I love a town where people drive pre-runner trucks to pick up their groceries.

Stoked about the WR250R. It doesn't hit as hard as my KLX300R, which is super light and has excellent bottom-end torque, but it's solid and will make a great solo touring mount thanks to the low weight, low vibes, FI, and beefy stator.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 6, 2011

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Phy posted:

A wild snorlax appears. :v:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

How, precisely, am I to register my newly purchased vehicle within the DMV mandated time-period when an appointment is not available in any of my local offices for another month?

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Well I just booked my theory test. Got to wait and see if they will give me a test on the date I want or just pick one from thin air. Another step taken on the road to motorcycle-ism-ish-ness-whatever...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

MotoMind posted:

How, precisely, am I to register my newly purchased vehicle within the DMV mandated time-period when an appointment is not available in any of my local offices for another month?

With any luck the seller didn't fill in the date of sale on the title when he handed it over, and didn't file the paperwork saying that it was sold. Then you can just fudge the date of sale to whenever.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

Well I just booked my theory test. Got to wait and see if they will give me a test on the date I want or just pick one from thin air. Another step taken on the road to motorcycle-ism-ish-ness-whatever...

Nice one! What are you going for? Direct access?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

God loving damnit my Bonnie refused to start for the second time in the past week this morning. I've been putting off taking it to the dealer for an urban tune, because when I did that with my last bike it took them six hours, and then the next day it was totaled by a drunk driver.

Is it possible to install a kick started as a backup or something like that?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SlightlyMadman posted:

God loving damnit my Bonnie refused to start for the second time in the past week this morning. I've been putting off taking it to the dealer for an urban tune, because when I did that with my last bike it took them six hours, and then the next day it was totaled by a drunk driver.

Is it possible to install a kick started as a backup or something like that?

Failed to start because of dead battery or failed to start because it just wouldn't catch? My SV was having battery issues and I tracked down a bad ground, fixed that and no more problems.

\/ ah ok in that case ride the drat thing \/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Failed to start because of dead battery or failed to start because it just wouldn't catch? My SV was having battery issues and I tracked down a bad ground, fixed that and no more problems.

Dead battery. If I take any short trips with it (less than 10 miles or so), it frequently won't start the next morning. It's a pretty common problem with the model.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Saga posted:

Nice one! What are you going for? Direct access?

Yup! There is a course done in the next town over so I don't have to go on a mini holiday. If everything goes well with timing and my brain then I can see no reason why I shouldn't have a full license by May/June :cool:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
It's March, and in Minnesota, that means it's time to start doing all the maintenance I've been putting off since last October. I ordered a new chain/sprockets and a rivet tool, but do I need a chain breaker? I have a multitude of metal-cutting implements. I assume I can just grind a head off of one of the rivets on the stock chain, and remove it that way?

25k on an OEM chain/sprockets is pretty good, I assume. I ordered a DID x-ring chain and steel sprockets, bumped up one tooth on the front sprocket to lower my highway RPMs ('03 SV650S).

The weather on the 10 day forecast looks like it might be good enough to start riding again (dry roads, highs near 40, lows in the upper 20's). Can't wait!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

Yup! There is a course done in the next town over so I don't have to go on a mini holiday. If everything goes well with timing and my brain then I can see no reason why I shouldn't have a full license by May/June :cool:

Don't know where you are, but my brother in law did his DA course via an operation at Dunsfold, and their training basically seemed to involve riding all over the South Downs enjoying the scenery (and then the unpleasant bit involving tests). Hopefully you get the same sort of deal and not just a tour of a carpark in Slough.

Remember to wrap up warmer than you think you need to!

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Sounds like you're in CA? Get in line at 6AM and you have a decent chance of being in and out within an hour. Otherwise, see if it's something you can do at a AAA office, or call one of the "we stand in line for you" companies.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Saga posted:

Don't know where you are, but my brother in law did his DA course via an operation at Dunsfold, and their training basically seemed to involve riding all over the South Downs enjoying the scenery (and then the unpleasant bit involving tests). Hopefully you get the same sort of deal and not just a tour of a carpark in Slough.

Remember to wrap up warmer than you think you need to!

Yeah I live up the North coast of Scotland, I am well versed in the art of layers. Gotta love compression clothing :D The course is in Wick which is 20 miles from Thurso where I am. Nice roads up this way but there are some utter utter fools in cars. Been a rash of drunk/drugged up/retarditis related fatal crashes the last couple of months. Of course there was the time the guy who runs the course was taken out by a car of teenagers coming backwards round a corner...they didn't even know the had hit someone until they saw his bike in the middle of the road. He was found quite some way away in a hedge...fun!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

PitViper posted:

It's March, and in Minnesota, that means it's time to start doing all the maintenance I've been putting off since last October. I ordered a new chain/sprockets and a rivet tool, but do I need a chain breaker? I have a multitude of metal-cutting implements. I assume I can just grind a head off of one of the rivets on the stock chain, and remove it that way?

25k on an OEM chain/sprockets is pretty good, I assume. I ordered a DID x-ring chain and steel sprockets, bumped up one tooth on the front sprocket to lower my highway RPMs ('03 SV650S).

The weather on the 10 day forecast looks like it might be good enough to start riding again (dry roads, highs near 40, lows in the upper 20's). Can't wait!

Yes, grind the pins out of 1 link to break the chain. Once you grind down far enough just pry the pieces apart with a screwdriver and the link should break easily. Or you could just cut all the way through the outside link to the inner link and remove it that way if you've got a nice cutoff wheel. I always end up using a dremel attachment to do it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Dead battery. If I take any short trips with it (less than 10 miles or so), it frequently won't start the next morning. It's a pretty common problem with the model.

Is this a problem with all bonnies or is just yours specifically hosed? You could just have it trickle charging if you have a garage to park it in.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

hayden. posted:

Is this a problem with all bonnies or is just yours specifically hosed? You could just have it trickle charging if you have a garage to park it in.

Yeah, all the recent EFI models have the same problem. This is actually the second one I've owned and they have the exact same problems. Most people find the solution to be just hooking it up to a trickle charger overnight, but not only do I not have a garage, but there's no parking on the street I live on, so I have to keep it on a side street a block away (so I can't even run a cable out to it).

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

wilkenm posted:

Sounds like you're in CA? Get in line at 6AM and you have a decent chance of being in and out within an hour. Otherwise, see if it's something you can do at a AAA office, or call one of the "we stand in line for you" companies.

Hey thanks for the tip on AAA, you just saved like 6 hours of my life.

Edit: Just got back. It was like getting blown by beautiful sea nymphs, at least in comparison to going to the DMV. Took all of 10 minutes.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2011

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Hey thanks for the tip on AAA, you just saved like 6 hours of my life.

Edit: Just got back. It was like getting blown by beautiful sea nymphs, at least in comparison to going to the DMV. Took all of 10 minutes.

I wish the state would let AAA do everything DMV related. They do a better hob with 1/10th the staff, and I swear one of their counter people shed a tear when he told me "you're going to have to go to the real DMV in person for this".

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

Yeah I live up the North coast of Scotland, I am well versed in the art of layers. Gotta love compression clothing :D The course is in Wick which is 20 miles from Thurso where I am. Nice roads up this way but there are some utter utter fools in cars. Been a rash of drunk/drugged up/retarditis related fatal crashes the last couple of months. Of course there was the time the guy who runs the course was taken out by a car of teenagers coming backwards round a corner...they didn't even know the had hit someone until they saw his bike in the middle of the road. He was found quite some way away in a hedge...fun!

Well, you definitely aren't in Slough then. As biking isn't that energy intensive and you're going pretty quick, the trick is to basically put on enough midlayers indoors until you feel uncomfortably hot...then add one or two more. You should be good for wintery 80mph windblast at that point. Not required in summer you'll be glad to hear.

I lived in Edinburgh for years, but never got as far north as you. The west coast and the islands are amazing for bike touring. You really get to enjoy the persistent dreichness and midgies amazing scenery, being in the open air. Plus, lots of corners and humpy bridges/ungraded roads for doing jumps. To me, there's no better way to get around Scotland.

I've actually been planning to do a bit of pushbike touring over a long weekend up near you this spring/summer- take the sleeper and then the far north line up from Inverness, possibly do a day's ride around Orkney, and then cycle back down to Inverness.

I've heard different things about the best way down however. The "national cycle route" takes you from Thurso across to the Kyle of Tongue and then south via the A836 as far as Dornoch Firth, from where you have a choice of routes around the Cromarty Firth and down to Inverness. The most direct route would just be the A9, and there's also the option of taking the A99 or A897 part of the way down and joining the A9. Or even going all the way over the west coast and cutting back across country, though I reckon I'd want a short week for that.

Any thoughts on the best route?

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

I'd honestly plan for more than a day in Orkney, its bigger than you think and there is so much to see, I go over there a lot seeing as my dad is from there. You have to see the Italian chapel(and a thousand other things) when you are up and its a bit out of the way. And going to Orkney without a night in the pubs is just criminal, brilliant nightlife over there.
Now for the cycle route, only go on the A9 if you have legs of iron, there are some impressive slopes and you'd have to do Berriedale Brae's, very long, very steep. I have seen many a cyclist pushing their bikes up there. The cycle route would take you through some pretty nice swarms of midgies scenery and be a generally nicer ride.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

I'd honestly plan for more than a day in Orkney, its bigger than you think and there is so much to see, I go over there a lot seeing as my dad is from there. You have to see the Italian chapel(and a thousand other things) when you are up and its a bit out of the way. And going to Orkney without a night in the pubs is just criminal, brilliant nightlife over there.

Brilliant - I think there's a hostel in Orkney so maybe I'll plan for an extra day there to start with.

Open Layer posted:

Now for the cycle route, only go on the A9 if you have legs of iron, there are some impressive slopes and you'd have to do Berriedale Brae's, very long, very steep. I have seen many a cyclist pushing their bikes up there. The cycle route would take you through some pretty nice swarms of midgies scenery and be a generally nicer ride.

I think I saw that climb on an elevation map sometime in the past. The graph basically goes straight up at that point.

The problem with the recommended route is that the only SYHA hostel along the middle section is at Carbisdale Castle near Lairg, which is booked a million years in advance. So it means camping, or hunting up a good B&B and paying an extra £35 or so. But it sounds like it's worth it.

Living in England I miss the proud Scottish midgie. Did you know that near Fort William the swarms are so thick they've developed higher-order reasoning? You've not truly seen Scotland until you've seen a black amorphous bloodsucking cloud of spite trying to sell tablet and souvenir tins of Walkers to American tourists.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

There are a couple of Orkney goons I know who might even be able to put you up for free. They may expect you drink Orcadian amounts though...nothing like a challenge!! :v: If you pass through Thurso I can show you some interesting bits(read that as pubs).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

There are a couple of Orkney goons I know who might even be able to put you up for free. They may expect you drink Orcadian amounts though...nothing like a challenge!! :v: If you pass through Thurso I can show you some interesting bits(read that as pubs).

That'd be brilliant. I will let you know as and when my wife clears me to leave the county. ;)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, what are your thoughts?

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/03/09/motorcycle-rider-awaits-prison-in-wifes-death/

The Des Moines Register posted:

A man accused of homicide by vehicle in the death of his wife will serve a term of up to 10 years in prison.

Shawn Branchcomb guilty of homicide by vehicle.
Shawn Eric Branchcomb, 36, was accused of vehicular homicide in the April 2010 death of his wife, Michelle Lynn Branchcomb, 26.

He entered a plea of guilty to the class C felony. Branchcomb was booked at the Polk County Jail Tuesday, awaiting transfer to prison, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

Police said last April that Shawn and Michelle Branchcomb were riding on a motorcycle that hit the back of another motorcycle.

The accident occurred during the early evening hours on East 30th Street near the Iowa State Fairgrounds. Officials said lab results showed Branchcomb was intoxicated at the time. He also pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated and received a one-year sentence, which is to run concurrently with the 10-year sentence for vehicular homicide.

Tom Whitehead, father of Michelle Branchcomb, said last year that he was outraged by the charges. He said his deceased daughter would be, too.

“Oh, she’d be hot,” Tom Whitehead said in an interview last year. “He didn’t do it intentionally. … He’s already suffered enough. He lost his soulmate, his best friend. He’s been wrongfully arrested.”

Michelle Branchcomb was riding on the back of the motorcycle driven by her husband when the accident happened and threw both of them. They were not wearing helmets.

The front of Branchcomb’s motorcycle was thought to have hit a fiberglass saddlebag on the other motorcycle.

tl:dr

Guy and his wife are riding drunk, he hits another bike and she's killed. How much should be be punished?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Armyman25 posted:

So, what are your thoughts?

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/03/09/motorcycle-rider-awaits-prison-in-wifes-death/

tl:dr

Guy and his wife are riding drunk, he hits another bike and she's killed. How much should be be punished?

If he loved her, he's punished enough. But I don't really subscribe to punishment for the sake of poetic justice or whatever. They should take away his endorsement, and send him to AA meetings (even if they're useless) and he should pay for the other guy's bike and injuries.

Though, I imagine if I did something that bad to myself, I'd crawl into a bottle until I ran out of liver.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
He didn't get on his bike drunk, 2 up, and rear end someone intentionally? Oh well, may as well let him go!

loving dumbass. He deserves it. There is zero reason to ride drunk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

He didn't get on his bike drunk, 2 up, and rear end someone intentionally? Oh well, may as well let him go!

loving dumbass. He deserves it. There is zero reason to ride drunk.

DWI can mean many things... prescription drugs (I'm not talking to the extreme of wacked on Opana or Xanax) can get you a DUI here.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

As long as the punishment is exactly the same as the punishment would be if they'd been in a car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

DWI can mean many things... prescription drugs (I'm not talking to the extreme of wacked on Opana or Xanax) can get you a DUI here.

And honestly, if the prescription says not to use them and operate a motor vehicle, you probably shouldn't do that.

I am pretty zero tolerance on any sort of intoxication mixed with riding though.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

He was already sentenced to a year in prison for the DWI, so I have a hard time believing it was Prozac.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

And honestly, if the prescription says not to use them and operate a motor vehicle, you probably shouldn't do that.

I am pretty zero tolerance on any sort of intoxication mixed with riding though.

I do too, but the half life on many drugs can leave you testing positive days later even though you don't feel it. Just playing devils advocate, I'm sure he deserved the DWI. I'm not saying this is common, but it does happen.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I do too, but the half life on many drugs can leave you testing positive days later even though you don't feel it. Just playing devils advocate, I'm sure he deserved the DWI. I'm not saying this is common, but it does happen.

Yeah, but if that were the case any half-decent lawyer would have gotten him out of a conviction. Since we don't know any of the facts, our only option is really to have a little faith in society and assume the judge's conviction for the DWI was valid. That said, I really am curious; how often has this happened when it's a car?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If he loved her, he's punished enough. But I don't really subscribe to punishment for the sake of poetic justice or whatever. They should take away his endorsement, and send him to AA meetings (even if they're useless) and he should pay for the other guy's bike and injuries.

Though, I imagine if I did something that bad to myself, I'd crawl into a bottle until I ran out of liver.

While it certainly is terrible for him, but what if it wasn't his wife, what if it was random person who wanted a motorcycle ride? Should they let him off easy? gently caress no. Justice has been served.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SlightlyMadman posted:

As long as the punishment is exactly the same as the punishment would be if they'd been in a car.

My thought, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Throwing him into the slammer for 10 years is a waste of money. Throw him in for 5, 5 years probation, permanent revocation of license. Dude's life is over anyway.